PDA

View Full Version : Putting hairbrushes in the dishwasher?

RecklessCharlie
March 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Here's a question for the LHC think tank - is it alright to put a rather dirty looking hairbrush in the dishwasher? Once all hair has been cleaned out of it but there are still 'dust' particles and general dirty looking-ness.
Thanks!

Sissy
March 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think so... I wouldn't at least. When I used to use plastic hairbrushes I would clean the hair out then put them soaking in the sink with hot water and some SLS clarifying shampoo, that always seemed to take the dust/dirt looking stuff out of the base of the brush.

gmdiaz
March 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I would soak it in the sink too. . .

Flaxen
March 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Yes to the (bathroom) sink idea, too. No personal hygiene items in the dishwasher. :flower:

EvaSimone
March 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I am going to be the dissenting opinion here. I think it's fine to put the brush in the dishwasher. Many people use the dishwasher to sanitize children's toys or personal items of a delicate nature that I won't mention here. Any germs that are introduced by the brush will be killed off in the dishwasher. That's just my :twocents:

chopandchange
March 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
You could always try it and see what happens - as long as it's not an expensive brush.

anneisanne
March 6th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I would be more concerned for the brush than the washer. If you think that the brush can stand the washing, then go ahead, but make sure it is on the top shelf and positioned such that it can't fall.

spidermom
March 6th, 2010, 01:40 PM
If the brush won't be damaged by going through a dishwasher cycle - why not? Don't do it in the same load as dishes, obviously. I've washed doggie items in there, then ran an empty cycle with a little bleach to make sure it was sanitized afterwards.

I generally clean my brush with a soft nail brush and a little shampoo; did it just this morning.

RecklessCharlie
March 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! :)
I think I may risk the dish, as it is not an expensive brush.
I'll save my better brush for some gentle hand cleaning!

Carolyn
March 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I've washed all sorts of things in the dishwasher. All that I can recall were placed in a secure manner on the top shelf. I would only wash a plastic bristle brush with a plastic base. I've put plastic combs in the silverware holder. Yes, with the silverware :D

Spidey, I've washed lots of dog stuff in the dishwasher. I allow my dogs to lick our plates when we're done eating. I don't have a problem sharing germs with them. People yes.

chopandchange
March 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
[quote=Carolyn;1001811]

I allow my dogs to lick our plates when we're done eating. quote]

I do that too!

(Thread hijack over). :D

DizzyFairy
March 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I LOVE THIS ANSWER! :D

I've washed all sorts of things in the dishwasher. All that I can recall were placed in a secure manner on the top shelf. I would only wash a plastic bristle brush with a plastic base. I've put plastic combs in the silverware holder. Yes, with the silverware :D

Spidey, I've washed lots of dog stuff in the dishwasher. I allow my dogs to lick our plates when we're done eating. I don't have a problem sharing germs with them. People yes.

I once put my eye glasses in the dishwasher! They were old and kinda scratched before, and they came out looking fabulous! ... don't think I would try it with newer glasses though....

spidermom
March 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I let our dogs lick our plates, too, and I'm not concerned about the germs from their mouths. But after I've washed collars and dog brushes in there, I'm concerned about dirt, dead skin cells, whatever. So I sanitize with bleach before dishes.

Carolyn
March 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I let our dogs lick our plates, too, and I'm not concerned about the germs from their mouths. But after I've washed collars and dog brushes in there, I'm concerned about dirt, dead skin cells, whatever. So I sanitize with bleach before dishes.
Holy cow. I've never thought of washing their collars or their brushes. Am I a bad puppy mommy? :D

GoddesJourney
March 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I am going to be the dissenting opinion here. I think it's fine to put the brush in the dishwasher. Many people use the dishwasher to sanitize children's toys or personal items of a delicate nature that I won't mention here. Any germs that are introduced by the brush will be killed off in the dishwasher. That's just my :twocents:
Agreed. Just put it on the top rack.

GoddesJourney
March 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM

I don't put other things in there but I definately let my dog "clean" stuff before we wash it. It makes her happy.