PDA

View Full Version : Double French-Herringbone (pics!!)

RecklessCharlie
March 6th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Alright so sometime back, in some thread which I can't recall, someone asked me about a 'French'-Herringbone plait. I'd only ever done one, so tonight I had a go at doing two! And this was the result.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/doofuschucklesniffer/027-1.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/doofuschucklesniffer/031.jpg
It's quite simple if you concentrate, you just braid as you would a french braid, taking a section on each side and working your way down - only difference is that you use two strands instead of three. I'm sure many of you know how to do this already. Hopefully the person who was asking will see this :D

adiapalic
March 6th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Wow. :agape: :thud:

I love this. Must clear my schedule and try this one day. Absolutely beautiful. :flower:

deviantkitten
March 6th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Gorgeous! I have been trying to master the french braid myself. i get about halfway through, then my fingers forget what they are doing and hair in one piece gets put into another, and it is a disaster! Herringbone (fishtail) braids are so much easier for me to do, I have never thought of doing them as french! Total genious! I cannot wait to try this. If mine turn out half as nice as yours, I probably won't storm out of the bathroom one the verge of tears like I do when I try to do an English French braid

Barbie Diamond
March 6th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Beaurtiful Hair, Beaurtiful profile! Good job.

Heavenly Locks
March 6th, 2010, 01:51 AM
That is simply stunning. :) I'm extremely envious of your skills and beautiful hair!

:thudpile:

Loreley
March 6th, 2010, 03:17 AM
It looks awesome! :thud:

RoseRedDead
March 6th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Very beautiful!

eamane
March 6th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Really gorgeous :)

serious
March 6th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Wow, it's beautiful!
Love the color of your hair and the first photo is just perfect!

AprilElf
March 6th, 2010, 04:24 AM
:thudpile:

Love, love, love this! Beautifully done, and great pictures. Thanks for posting them!

countryhopper
March 6th, 2010, 04:48 AM
GORGEOUS! I've done a single herringbone before, but not a double. I'll have to try this!!

PurpleAshes
March 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Wow, it looks awesome! It must've taken a lot of time, and strength!

habioku
March 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM
This looks beautiful on you :). I had done this too, but with lot shorter hair ^^:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2592/fishboneclassicoffen.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/i/fishboneclassicoffen.jpg/)

gmdiaz
March 6th, 2010, 06:54 AM
*THUD*

Reckless Charlie, Your hair is gorgeous and I love the color!

I've never even tried this style but I know how to French Braid, so I'll give it a go!

Thanks for the photos. . .very inspirational!

myrrhmaiden
March 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Holy Moly, Gorgeousness!

rags
March 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous! :thud:

misstwist
March 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Oy! A herringingbone takes for-flippin-ever to braid. Make that two of them and inbraided. I suspect I would get through a couple episodes of NCIS before finishing.

Looks great!

Garnet66
March 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
That is so pretty. I've always wanted to know to do a herringbone braid. They look so hard. But they are always so pretty.

IndigoAsh
March 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
wishing you were my neighbor right now, lol.

natt i nord
March 6th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Wow, great! Love your haircolor and how tidy the braids are :)

ericthegreat
March 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'm even more amazed at your awesome shine and spectacular haircolour! You truly have healthy, wonderful hair.

Bunnyhare
March 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
WOW! :thud: :applause
That is a beautiful set of braids you did...

I really hate layers because it makes these beautiful creations impossible...

guccixx
March 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Beautiful style and hair! You must have lots of patience ! What is the trick to making a nice looking herringbone braid? I tried it yesterday and it just did not work at all

paperwhite
March 6th, 2010, 09:28 AM
WOW. That's absolutely gorgeous! How long did it take you to do both of them?

GoddesJourney
March 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Wow! That's awesome and it must've taken forever! It looks amazing on you and you should be very proud of yourself. I should try this out. Maybe I'll make time later today.

justme
March 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Wow! Simply gorgeous!

Gabriel
March 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Gorgeous braids!

Gumball
March 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM
The lighting's cool in those shots, but those braids are just plain awesome! My arms ache vicariously through you. ;)

RecklessCharlie
March 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

wishing you were my neighbor right now, lol.
And I actually like braiding other people's hair better than my own! :D

Beautiful style and hair! You must have lots of patience ! What is the trick to making a nice looking herringbone braid? I tried it yesterday and it just did not work at all
I find that the trick is making sure to keep each section that you separate and cross over, a nice consistent size, about one third thinner than the two main sections. First time I ever attempted this it was a disaster :) Just takes a bit of practice, don't give up!

WOW. That's absolutely gorgeous! How long did it take you to do both of them? It took about 7 min. for the first side and 20 for the other because the phone interrupted me! :p Normally it would take me around 15-20 min.

Good luck with your braids everyone! I'd love to see pictures of your results!

Chamomile betty
March 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Beautiful braids.
Thanks for sharing.

Peter
March 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
That looks so pretty!

Now I have to learn how to do a herringbone. :p

Sweetness
March 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
wooow !!!! gorgeous, LOVE the color !

little_acorn
March 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
AWESOME - thank you for sharing :flower:

StrongWall
March 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
oh wow, they're beautiful
if i'm feeling patient i will try them someday

wtchmel
March 6th, 2010, 03:22 PM
wow! that is cool! i've always loved herringbone braids(never been able to do them) thanks for sharing.:)

DizzyFairy
March 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
WOW! Very nice! I used to be able to do that from a ponytail... don't think I could do the whole head! Great job, looks amazing.

sarah061
March 6th, 2010, 03:59 PM
That looks absolutely stunning!! Thanks so much for posting the pictures, I've been trying to learn how to herringbone braid lately and this gives me much more inspiration/motivation to do so :) Gorgeous!!

spidermom
March 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
This is gorgeous! I can do it, but the upper part sags down within an hour, and soon it looks pretty much like I started it at the bottom instead of Frenched it.

Pixna
March 6th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Incredible!!! The lighting and color in these photos are stunning. Great job -- thank you for sharing!!!

Igor
March 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Be-a-u-ti-ful!! :cheese:

Capybara
March 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Lovely braids!! Wow! :cheese:

This is gorgeous! I can do it, but the upper part sags down within an hour, and soon it looks pretty much like I started it at the bottom instead of Frenched it.

I've had problems with the upper parts sagging, too. I've only attempted a single french herringbone braid, though, and the results were not public-worthy. How do you keep it so neat?

restourceful
March 6th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Ok, you can add me to the :thudpile: These are completely and utterly incredibly beautiful! I could use great adjectives all day long about your braids.

*looks at layers scornfully*
Someday...*sigh*

RoseRedDead
March 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
/not a quality post

...the upper part sags down within an hour, and soon it looks pretty much like I started it at the bottom instead of Frenched it.

That's okay, spidermom, we here at LHC would know that you Frenched it. :eyebrows:

/end not a quality post

little_cherry
March 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Very nice! I did this the other day, but my hair is only shoulder length so I had to do the gibson tuck!

Did your arms get sore at all?

Xandergrammy
March 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
These braids are seriously awesome. :inlove:

autumnsdaughter
March 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Gorgeous braids! Really inspiring!

SilverLocks
March 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
You really did a nice job with the braids and the first photo is outstanding. It's a piece of art.

Pierre
March 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Wowzo!!! Beautiful braids, color, and shine!

RecklessCharlie
March 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Lovely braids!! Wow! :cheese:

I've had problems with the upper parts sagging, too. I've only attempted a single french herringbone braid, though, and the results were not public-worthy. How do you keep it so neat?
I braided it when it was slightly damp, that helps keep the little flyaways in place!

Very nice! I did this the other day, but my hair is only shoulder length so I had to do the gibson tuck!

Did your arms get sore at all? I bet that gibson tuck looked superb with the herringbone!
No my arms didn't really get sore but then again I'm a hobbyist rock climber so my arms are pretty used to being over my head :D

Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments!

kmoc123
March 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Now THAT is so beautiful!!!! The braid and the color are both exquisite...I am jealous in a nice way!!!

christine1989
March 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
You have fantastic hair and the pictures looks so professional- like something out of a magazine :)

Carrie Ingalls
March 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Wow!:thudpile: Your hair is stunningly gorgeous! Only your 2nd try, that is amazing! I know it would take me a lot longer than that to get something new looking even close to that beautiful. Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!:flower:

IcarusBride
March 6th, 2010, 10:25 PM
So cool! I never could get the herringbone braid to work. I think my problem is I do it too loosely.

Masara
March 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
They are incredible.

I've more or less given up on herringbones because somehow I don't manage the separation properly so they don't really look all that different from a normal braid and the French braided version sags, but now I'm inspired to give them another go.

SurprisingWoman
March 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
This is amazing! I wish my fingers weren't so stupid. I would love to do this.

Blueneko
March 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Gorgeous shine! I am braid envious!

melrose1985
March 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Beautiful!

Periwinkle
March 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
:thud:

You have beautiful hair, and that's some awesome braiding skills! I've never managed to do herringbone braids - maybe I should have another go at that as they're so, so, pretty.

MandaMom2Three
March 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Just BEAUTIFUL!!! (now come do mine :D)

Eden_Rayn
March 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Wow my fingers hurt just by looking at that. :bigeyes: I'm going to have to try that one.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

AbruptlyWanderi
March 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Wow. Just, just wow. :thudpile:

Your color is so pretty, and the braid, and just wow.

xovictoryxo
March 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM
stunning!! i love it!!

spidermom
March 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm going to try it again soon - damp and with gel. Then maybe mine won't sag.

ailin
March 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Wow, that looks AMAZING! I'll have to give it a try next time I wash! I've done single herringbones before, but they don't come out as nice as yours :D