PDA

View Full Version : new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

tig-man
March 5th, 2010, 09:16 PM
tl;dr: guy welder with long hair want to know if there are women welders (or other male welders with long hair) here, and possibly discuss methods of covering his/her/my hair.

background:

Hi, I've been searching for a while for a long hair community to get tips and so forth. Apparently, there just isn't so many long hair men that want to get together and talk about hair :mad:

anyway, I've had long hair before, and this is my second growth. The first time it went down to mid thigh (i'm about 5'10"). I got tired of it, so I donated the hair to some cancer org that makes wigs for kids.

for a few years, I shave it every month or so to keep it really short.

Then I begin to miss my long hair. so i grew it out again, from totally shaved. 18 months later, its now just past the arm pit (or bra strap, i suppose, except i dont wear bras :D i'm a guy). about the same time i started to let my hair grow, i've picked up welding and metal working as a hobby. it was fine at first, as my hair wasn't that long, but now its starting to become a problem. 1400-2000 degree heat and long hair just doesn't quite mix all that well.

Adding that i have absolutely no talent in braiding my own hair doesn't help either. I could ask my wife to braid it, but, everyday? that's gotta get old even for a loving spouse.

I wear "Head sweats" and tuck all my hair under it for now.

what do you do to cover your hair completely, when you need to?

Kaileida
March 5th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Buns? Even simple ones that basically go twist hair + slap elastic on it? Hairstick buns may or may not stay well depending on your hair type. Practice braiding in your spare time, it's not too hard! :) And at only APL-BSL a ponytail might even be enough to keep it out of your way.

Lykaios
March 5th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hey there :)

I have welded in the past, but am primarily a jeweller/metalsmith now, though getting into blacksmithing.

I think the bandana/hair tucking is the only real way to do it for maximum protection against those sparks that go flying everywhere. Maybe put it in a low bun to keep the ends in. Also, since welding and torches etc is hot work, you'll want to keep an eye on your hair's moisture so it's not getting all dry and crispy! To be honest, when I was welding I didn't wear a bandana, but just a ponytail and tucked it into the back of my welding coat, though I was afraid for it. I would take better care now though.

Hope that helped! :)

angelthadiva
March 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
:waving: former MIG/TIG welder here. My hair was not at my current length way back when, but I do remember wearing my hair in a braid or bun. Sometimes, I might have worn a ball cap backward too after bringing the end up and tucking it under the hat.

Welcome, though :)

CindyLea1
March 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Hubby (when he welded and had long hair) just used a beanie type hat under his welding helmet. Pile it up in the beanie, put on welding helmet and get to it!

I;m not sure if this will work for you or not.

They also make spiffy leather ponytail holder usualy sold at the motorcycle shops. They are a strip of leather with a hook to hold the elastic and snaps down the length, meant to hold the tail of a ponytail. I think they are called hairgloves or some such thingy.

tig-man
March 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
holy cow, i thought it was gonna be a loooooooooooooooong shot. within 10 minutes, two welders chimed in. I do mostly tig with some mig thrown in. I don't do a lot of gas welding, and don't stick weld at all. For those who aren't familiar with welding and metal fabrication, there's a lot of sparks (little specks of molten metal) flying around. Once i only wear my welding mask, but got some sparks on the top of my head and burned off a few hairs.

will definitely try the bandana.
i've given up braiding my own hair.

my wife did this for me a few months ago
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg93/waggie51/random/DSC_0174.jpg

ug, i can't edit my post. sorry for the HUGE PIC.
here's a more reasonable version
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg93/waggie51/random/DSC_0174.jpg

CindyLea1, thats what i do for now (beanie/tuck). for motorcycling, i just put a bunch of scrunchies on to prevent knotting.

angelthadiva
March 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Oh, yes it is Friday, we have nothing else better to do that wait at the door and pounce on the first thing that comes in the door ;) :D

I love your wife's braid :flower: she does a good job :thumbsup: I think she's a keeper!!

So, even though this pic was a few years ago; with the chops, you are probably close to this length right? And is this photo accurate for your current style too IE no layers? If yes, you can manage a English braid (basic 3 strand at your nape). I don't see why you couldn't do that one yourself. It will take some practice, though, but certainly doable. Ponytail then braid, then tie off the end may be a good option too until you are used to finger placement.

LaurelSpring
March 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I think I remember that Nightshade does welding? You might pm her.

anneisanne
March 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM
You can always try a sock bun + beanie. Sock buns might seem silly, but they are easy and reliable and will pull those loose ends out of the way. When my hair was a bit shorter I woud just tuck it into my shirt while I welded- now that it's longer, if I ever get back to welding I'll have to bun it or something.

Also, this thread might be helpful, although it is on a rather different subject it is useful:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33609&highlight=boot+camp+sock

MissManda
March 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
My boyfriend is into welding and he has hair longer than mine. He's taller than me and has very wavy hair, so our hair looks about the same length. He deals with TIG, MIG, and some other things that I can't think of right now.

He likes to put his hair into a ponytail or double ponytail (put hair into half-up, then make another ponytail) when he is welding. He also finds that rope braiding holds his hair like a rock and feels more masculine than a 3 strand braid.

Here's Torrin Paige's tutorial on rope braiding. It's a bit tricky at first, but it gets super easy once you get used to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw

Hope that helps!

BranwenWolf
March 5th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I do jewelry/metalsmithing and do torch work. If you can't braid can you do a pony tail with a hair tie every few inches or so?
I braid/ponytail and then put a bandanna on my head to keep the strays out.
You can also tuck the pony in a shirt if needed.

Er- duh...started reading the rest of the thread and lots of others said the same thing.

adiapalic
March 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Just had to say--your wife braids beautifully! :)
It would take me ages to make a french braid that intricately.

tig-man
March 5th, 2010, 10:21 PM
so, this is where all the welders hang out. :)

that picture was taken a few MONTHS ago, not a few years ago.

I never seen braiding done, mine only took 3 minutes... didn't seem very complicated to me. I guess my wife was right when she claimed she braided all her girlfriends hairs growing up.

trolleypup
March 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM
When I need my hair to be completely contained, I usually use a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/pony-scrub-hats/cotton-disposable/). (ps: they do have some solid colors)

Easy to use ( does not require bun/braiding skills), compact, fits under hardhats.

ItalianFlower
March 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM
One thing to know about LHC--the only thing we all have in common is a love of long hair. This is a HUGE community with SO many diverse backgrounds and interests...I've never had a question that SOMEONE couldn't answer, no matter what it was. :D This is an excellent place to be for SO many reasons.

Welcome to our family! Love to see the men growing out their hair!

GoddesJourney
March 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
There are a lot of hair tutorials both here and on YouTube, some of which from our members, that can teach you how to braid or bun your long hair in ways that stay and are damage free. Everyone feels dumb and uncoordinated when they start braiding. There are a lot of threads from new members about this. In the long run, though, we all get it and then your hands just do it all by themselves. You obviously have some talent working with your hands so there is absolutely no reason why you can't learn some really practical ways to get your hair out of the way that you can do by yourself. If you get stuck, you can ask for tips.

However, if my husband had hair long enough to braid and he wanted me to braid it for him, I would love every minute of it even if it was inconvenient. Furthermore, your hair is very beautiful. Just wanted to say that. I'm glad you missed your hair enough to grow it back out.

ETA: Good plan, trolleypup!

Alun
March 6th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I did welding classes at least, a long time ago, and although my hair wasn't as long as it is now, it was considered to be long. I think even just wearing the welding mask or goggles had almost the same effect as wearing a bandana would have anyway.

I can braid my hair pretty rapidly, but if I couldn't I can think of a couple of things that would have the same effect, i.e. either wearing a hairglove (although I've never tried them) or simply wearing a number of ponytail bands at different places along the length of my hair (although I don't do that either). The latter option is certainly much cheaper, and a lot of bikers do that with their hair. Come to think of it, I think the people who make hairgloves aim their product mainly at bikers too. They make them in several different lengths.

A simple braid isn't so hard, and I think you should have another go at it. Just divide your hair into three and bring alternate sides into the middle. That's all there is to it really, and although it's easier said than done, it's also pretty easy with a bit of practice. If you tie your hair into a ponytail first and then braid it you may find that slightly easier, although if you don't do that then your neck hairs don't show as much.

As for a men's board, there is one called the Men's Long Hair Hyperboard that I'm surprised you haven't found, at:

www.mlhh.org

There are quite a few of us guys here who post in both places.

Heavenly Locks
March 6th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I don't have anything to add but I wanted to say HI! :) and welcome! :waving:

Finoriel
March 6th, 2010, 01:32 AM
From my experience wearing a bandana and a welding hardhat with attached shield and an attached leather nape-cover is the best combination when welding above ones head. Bandanas on their own are pretty useless, they burn right through, but for protecting the hair from the helmet they are good.
I would not weld without a helmet. Ever. A coworker did and as far as I know he still has a hole in his hair where nothing grows. A decade after the welding cinder hit his scalp. :scared: I once had a bit of it fall into the pocket of my overall. Major ouch.
So I´d recommend learning to braid and bun to fit your hair under bandana&hardhat. It´s not that hard to learn :wink: in lack of a maid most of us braid/bun our own hair.

Pierre
March 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I don't weld, but here's something you could try: Get several flexi-8s with no centerpieces, and make some small buns with them, then put the helmet over them.

Twil
March 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
They also make spiffy leather ponytail holder usualy sold at the motorcycle shops. They are a strip of leather with a hook to hold the elastic and snaps down the length, meant to hold the tail of a ponytail. I think they are called hairgloves or some such thingy.
I was going to suggest this too, I use this when I'm doing electrical work.

gmdiaz
March 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
When I need my hair to be completely contained, I usually use a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/pony-scrub-hats/cotton-disposable/). (ps: they do have some solid colors)

Easy to use ( does not require bun/braiding skills), compact, fits under hardhats.

I really like those pony scrubs . . those would work great!

I wish I'd known about those when I was welding (sculptures), then I just ponytailed up and tucked it all under a bandana! It was NOT pretty when I finally took my hair down but at least it wasn't scorched.

halo_tightens
March 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I've never welded, but I know from a friend's misfortune that you definitely want it all covered up!

She had her hair in a tight ponytail with a scrunchie. A spark landed on the scrunchie and smoldered there without her knowledge, and the point where that scrunchie was became her new end length. Yikes!

trolleypup
March 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM
From my experience wearing a bandana and a welding hardhat with attached shield and an attached leather nape-cover is the best combination when welding above ones head. Bandanas on their own are pretty useless, they burn right through, but for protecting the hair from the helmet they are good.
I would not weld without a helmet. Ever. A coworker did and as far as I know he still has a hole in his hair where nothing grows. A decade after the welding cinder hit his scalp. :scared: I once had a bit of it fall into the pocket of my overall. Major ouch.
So I´d recommend learning to braid and bun to fit your hair under bandana&hardhat. It´s not that hard to learn :wink: in lack of a maid most of us braid/bun our own hair.
Yep! Reading regencies...having maids and hairdressers on staff!

I really like those pony scrubs . . those would work great!

I wish I'd known about those when I was welding (sculptures), then I just ponytailed up and tucked it all under a bandana! It was NOT pretty when I finally took my hair down but at least it wasn't scorched.
As noted...ponyscrubs are not fire resistant....they are a light breathable cotton. Best worn under something...or I suppose you could investigate fire resistance treatments.

Although...from my experience with grinders (lots of red hot sparks), any layer of cloth will protect whatever is underneath to a certain extent...although at cost to the outer layer!

Another thought is something like a painter's spray sock...one size fits all will cover bun and stick or a tucked braid. Heavier knit cotton, cheaper and requires less back of head skills than a pony scrub.

tig-man
March 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
i guess i'm lucky there, my spouse dubs as my hair braider :cheese:

Nightshade
March 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I think I remember that Nightshade does welding? You might pm her.

Wow, I'm flattered you remembered :)

I always wore a French braid and coiled it under a welder's cap and put the helmet atop that.

Auto-darkening ftw! :D http://www.sincitywickedfjs.com/forum/images/smilies/welder.gif

hennared
March 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I used to weld, too - but my hair wasn't that long, back then. I really wanted to chime in on this tread about braiding. I started out as the world's WORST braider, and I never thought I'd be able to braid my own hair (or anyone else's .. I didn't go through the 'doing each other's hair' stage of being a young girl). But, I really wanted to learn how to braid, as it is such a gentle, pull-free way of putting the hair back; and I get tired of the look of buns on me. So, I kept at it, trying and trying, and now I can do a simple three strand braid pretty decently; most of the time on the first try :) It's really worth learning to do for yourself, for long hair, IMHO.

This is what helped it 'click' for me:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Braid-Hair-your-own/

DizzyFairy
March 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
lol - I'm new and have not chatted with a guy yet. Glad to find you and your humor! :)
I do a lot of crafts and woodworking and I just throw my hair in a knot. It is quick, easy and stays put (for the most part) and not elastic or tie needed!
- Make a bun, but after the first full turn, tuck the rest of your hair unside the bun and pull it out from the top. If you need to tighten it - hold bun/knot with left hand and the remaining hair with the right, then pull the hair with your right hand as you push against the bun/knot. If your hair is not quite long enough you can use a hair stick, tie or elastic.
Would love to see pictures when you are able.

enfys
March 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
My dad's a welder and has set various parts of himself on fire many times over the years.

The reason he's not covered in scars is because he wears as much leather as he can.

He had a hat with a leather flap that went down to his shoulders and right around ear to ear. I don't know if he made this or bought it.

If my dad's generation survived welding in the 70s with long hair, I'm sure you'll be fine. And welcome to the boards!

restourceful
March 7th, 2010, 02:32 PM
No welding talent here, but just wanted to welcome you to LHC. :waving:

Teacherbear
March 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Are those pony scrubs the same things that so many people bought several years ago? The thing from a few years ago looked stretchy, and I thought a lot of doctors wore them for surgery.

Angela_Rose
March 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi! Welcome to the boards.
I've done a little welding and I just wanted to suggest putting coconut oil (or some other kind) on your hair to protect it from the heat as you go along.

Have fun here!

trolleypup
March 8th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Are those pony scrubs the same things that so many people bought several years ago? The thing from a few years ago looked stretchy, and I thought a lot of doctors wore them for surgery.
Not actually stretchy...they have a ribbon you tie off to tighten them.

tig-man
March 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM
hehe, thanks everyone for the encouragement to braid my own hair. you're talking to a guy who can barely put scrunchy on his hair. when I put a scrunchy in my hair to make a quick pony tail, usually there's a strand or and there that pops up, and usually takes 3 or 4 tries to make it look half way descent. all i know is wash, condition, air dry, detangle and brush. five things, b/c if have 5 fingers, easy to remember.

I've accepted my ineptitude when it comes to braiding, I'll just have someone else do it for me.

i suppose what i'm doing already is pretty much the best way already (roll my hair into a ball and tuck it under fire resistant, not fire proof, beanie)

Beesweet
March 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
i have welded before. The face protection/hat can rip your hair.

I have a great suggestion for your hair -- get a couple of Buffs.

www.buffwear.com -- only buy them cheaper on eBay.

You can wear buff around your neck when you don't have it around your hair. Take it off for lunch, etc. Based on your pic with your braid, a buff would cover your whole head and hair completely and you probably wouldn't have to braid it. Just watch the buff videos on the different ways to wear.

They have some very "manly" patterns, too. Lots of stuff for dudes.

I am convinced this could be an excellent solution. :D

We love our buffs in this house. Use them for sleeping, wind, beach, housework, under helmets, etc.

Arriens
March 10th, 2010, 07:29 AM
*hopes that your avatar is not your current way on how to prevent hair burning*

tig-man
March 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM
nah, it was taken during one of my DIY hair cuts :)

yellowchariot
March 10th, 2010, 01:18 PM
i guess i'm lucky there, my spouse dubs as my hair braider :cheese:

Hey tig-man, its great to see another male join the forum. Your wife done a killer braid.

I don't weld, but I do yard work. So it's very easy to snag your hair while working on a weedeater or running a hedger :D.

I recommend getting your wife to continuing doing a french braid or mohawk (dutch) braid. At least you get a free head massage in the deal hehe. Also if you want something quick to do whenever your wife can't do your hair. try a banded ponytail starting from the top of your head all of the way down using small sections. Then you can either coil the banded tail around the bottom to form a bun, or secure it a different way.

Hope this helps, peace out! :thumbsup:

restourceful
March 11th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Also if you want something quick to do whenever your wife can't do your hair. try a banded ponytail starting from the top of your head all of the way down using small sections. Then you can either coil the banded tail around the bottom to form a bun, or secure it a different way.

Hope this helps, peace out! :thumbsup:

Hey, I never thought of doing banded ponytails this way! :doh: I've only ever done them on the length. Thanks, yellowchariot! I may wear mine like this today! *rummages around to find many matching elastics*

yellowchariot
March 11th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Hey, I never thought of doing banded ponytails this way! :doh: I've only ever done them on the length. Thanks, yellowchariot! I may wear mine like this today! *rummages around to find many matching elastics*

^ For real restourceful, before I learned to braid my own hair, I'd do a banded-ponytail for outdoors/mowing. It holds as good as a braid depending on how many hair ties you use. Sometimes I will turn it into a coiled bun, to get rid of the tail from hanging down.

tig-man, I've got a tutorial on youtube on how to do one, if you need instructions. :thumbsup:

tig-man
March 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHzH3k_rVM

found it, thanks.

I'm gonna have to give that a try.

Sparkette
March 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Just a note on material for any hair covering. If your looking for hair friendly and fire resistant, try silk. It is self extinguishing, so a spark won't set it ablaze.

yellowchariot
March 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHzH3k_rVM

found it, thanks.

I'm gonna have to give that a try.

^ Cool, glad I could help!

note: I used very small elastic ties. Be sure and secure your first/top section tight because that section will be your "lead" section, and you don't want it to slip downward while securing the rest.

Peace Out!

Jeromy
July 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm about to be in school for welding, i've been looking for something to protect my long hair and my beard and I came across this http://www.rangerjoes.com/Neck-Gaiter-Polartec-Fire-Resistant-Microfleece-Foliage-Green-P7901.aspx and hopefully this will help other long haired welders out :)

Chromis
July 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Nice find! I think I might need one for camping :D

heidi w.
July 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
If I recall correctly, for tig welding you don't usually need to wear a face mask, but I could have it backwards. It's been a long time since I've seen welding. I've always wanted to learn how to weld, and then build sculptures....but you get a certain age, and do best sticking to a certain plan. Maybe when I'm 70 I can take it up.

It may still be possible to locate large bandanas and wear this on top of your head. I wear bandanas; I wear a hat when out in the yard in the sun. I wear a bandana when I go for a ride in my friend's sports car.

The other thing, if you can't braid is that you can find really small bands that glide off the hair and generally don't rip hair out and you can make a ponytail and use these small bands at regular intervals down the length to tie the hair back so it won't waft about. Just the long ponytail might swoop from one side or another. It also makes tucking all the hair under a bandana a whole lot easier. These are findable in grocery stores in black or in hot colors (that's what I've seen so far).

Some women here in the past made some kind of long hair wrap thingy, can't recall the name. Maybe someone will come in and mention it. I would think about contacting one of these women and asking where they bought it or offer to buy one or swap one if they make it.

Kind regards,
heidi w.

heidi w.
July 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm about to be in school for welding, i've been looking for something to protect my long hair and my beard and I came across this http://www.rangerjoes.com/Neck-Gaiter-Polartec-Fire-Resistant-Microfleece-Foliage-Green-P7901.aspx and hopefully this will help other long haired welders out :)

Seems hot and uncomfortable. Where one welds it's often fairly hot outside as it is. Also seems an unsuitable fabric for allowing long hair to rub against it.

heidi w.

Chromis
July 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Heidi - might you be thinking of a Buff? They sell them at camping stores and they make warm and cold weather versions. Not flame retardant though. I know I've singed mine a few times. Oops.

jeanniet
July 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, a Buff would definitely not be flame retardant, but they made a very good head covering. I actually like the merino wool ones better than the regular ones--they're longer and a little stretchier, so easier to fit over all my hair. I just twist it in the center, pull one end over the other, and voila! instant beanie that holds all my hair. In the winter I use a second one for a neck warmer on morning walks.

ETA: That neck gaiter looks pretty good--hot, but maybe that doesn't matter if you're welding since you're already hot. I agree with Heidi that it might rub the hair a bit, but getting your hair overexposed to heat and/or singeing is worse, so maybe the lesser of two evils.

heidi w.
July 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
That's it, a Buff. Well, I've thought of the idea in the past. If the OP is interested he can make one himself out of fire retardent fabric which he might be able to find a some types of fabric stores. But really, banding the length at regular intervals down a ponytail may work well enough. Not sure though. But I can get my knee length hair all up in a bandana...maybe he just needs to practice the man bun idea and then wrap all in a bandana. If he needs more bandana, he can always sew or ask a clever wife to sew two bandanas together to have more fabric.....

???

heidi w.

Alun
July 28th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Seems like that thing could make you really hot when welding.

I took a welding course a gazillion years ago, and had relatively long hair even then. I think the welding mask was sufficient really. I didn't really think about that as a problem. I wasn't the only long haired guy in the class either. Most of them were, which probably gives you some idea just how long ago it was.

Kaelee
July 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I'd wear a COTTON bandanna under my mask, or a welder's cap. Keep the hair back/up/contained.

I used to be a blacksmith's apprentice. Did welding, forging, the whole 9 yards. I didn't really care about my hair at the time though, and it got FRIED from just being near the forge, and out in the sun. :(

Studentchef
July 29th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I was a volunteer firefighter for years...the heat is really hard on hair. I did the series of elastics and tucked the length into my coat. As for hat protection, there isn't much I ever.found toprotect that isn't a little too flammable, but olive oil works miracles when you get home.