PDA

View Full Version : Very Confused about Hair Rinses

CavyQueen
March 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hi! I am very confused about when to do a hair rinse. There are so many rinses I want to try: ACV, oatmilk/oatmeal, herbal (chamomile flowers, nettle, comfrey root, elderflowers), etc. Do I do the rinse before a shampoo, before conditioner, or after conditioner? If I do use a rinse after a conditioner will it remove/strip the hair of the benefits of the conditioning I just did? What is everyone's advice and routines? Thank you. :)

Flaxen
March 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Generally, a rinse is done last, after conditioner. Especially if it is an acidic rinse, it will help close the cuticle. Now I just know that people are going to post that they rinse and then condition, and that's also fine. :lol:

Of course you can always do a rinse instead of conditioner, too...:whistle:

Sweetness
March 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I agree to the rinse usually being last. To close the cuticle, condition, add moisture, etc.

Some also rinse ... and then "rinse the rinse out with water"

depends what your particular hair likes best

aililiú
March 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
i dont have a lot of experience in rinses (yet!)
but i've always done them last.
i used to do an ACV rinse after every shower, when i was using baking soda instead of shampoo.
i just tried a catnip rinse the other day! only i left it on for a bit before rinsing it out, so that might be different? :confused: im new at this too :D

but i would say, last, and then a quick water rinse afterwards.

i cant answer the conditioner question because i dont use any :blueeek:

clairenewcastle
March 6th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Before I joined LHC I often used a herbal rinse after I rinsed out my conditioner.
Usually I would rinse out the rinse, although there were times I would leave them in too.

Camomile or marigold were favourites of mine but rosemary, burdock root and nettle are used by a lot of people.

By the way, you mentioned elderflower - I found it was very drying on my hair, leaving a matte effect afterwards. :confused:

Once I joined LHC I discovered catnip. :)

There's a very informative thread called "Catnip for Splil Ends" which I learnt a lot from.
Catnip has been so successful for me both in terms of conditioning and encouraging hair growth that I now use an infusion of dried catnip instead of conditioner. :stirpot: