PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit frustrated (again)

juliaxena
March 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM
This is my current lenght (is this shoulder?). The thing is, it is so short. It really is. My hair is slippery and with this little lenght it runs right out of my updos...if you can call them that. Apart from that it really isn't a good lenght for my face. It just doesn't fit it if anyone can understand this. How long do you think before this will get better, what lenght do you need for a regular bun or nice looking french twist?

contradiction
March 5th, 2010, 01:37 PM
To be honest it just sounds like you are really impatient (which is understandable). I've noticed your photos over the past few months, and your hair looks like it's getting longer to me. My hair is that length and I regularly wear a french twist, maybe you just need some practice? :)

Calista
March 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Do you trim regularly? Your ends look suspiciously blunt. ;) If you are desperate for length, no more trimming for you. I started to be able to do buns at about arm pit length - so you´d need about 10cm more. But depending on your thickness and updo skills it can be sooner or later than that! Have you tried a peacock twist? You should be able to do that now. Or how about a simple ponytail? Or a French braid? French braiding is possible at quite short lengths.

paperwhite
March 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Addressing the slip issues--once I started going no-cone, I noticed that my 1b/F/ii hair started to stay up better than it had before. Surprisingly, I hadn't lost any softness or shine as a result of cutting out the cones, my hair actually started looking fuller and staying barrettes longer and went into updos easier. Have you experimented with cone free products? That might help a little bit with the slipperiness.

As for styling your hair, how do you feel about cute half-ups? Twisted or braided side pieces joined in the back would be nice and should be possible with your length. Try playing with different things until you find a few styles that you like and hopefully they'll help you ride out the time between shoulder length and APL :)

contradiction
March 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I also used to be a major trimmer and didn't understand why my hair wasn't getting longer. I've accumulated a lot more length since I stopped trimming every couple months.

halo_tightens
March 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I second the half-ups! You can do a lot of half-up buns that aren't possible with all your hair until MUCH longer lengths. :)

Bethany44
March 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Just wanted to let you know, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Mine is still about an 1.5" from touching my shoulders and I am getting so impatient waiting for it to grow. I feel like if I could just get it a few inches past my shoulders I'll be happy! And I completely know what you mean by it not fitting your face. My hair started around chin length after going to a "scissor happy" stylist and it was just wrong on me.

Pixna
March 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I can't tell you how long it will take to get better, as that really depends on how fast your hair grows. One thing that helped get me through my awkward, can't-do-anything-with-it stages was headbands. They help keep the hair out of your face, and if you look good in updos, you should look good in headbands. There are SO many cute ones available--from inexpensive, drugstore varieties to handmade ones on Etsy.

Another good option is half-ups with barrettes. Again, there are a lot of cute ones to choose from. As has already been suggested, half-ups with a bun are terrific for hair that is your length. You could even do cute side braids that culminate in a half-up braid or bun.

Hang in there! You have many good options available to you, and trying these will help make this rough patch go more smoothly! :grouphug:

Lisa Tregner
March 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
You are an inbetweener right now.

I would say you just need a couple more inches to start being able to put up in a fashionable and fun way.

Hang in there!

Fractalsofhair
March 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Can you do ponytails now? Just do that for a while, till your hair gets longer.

curlylocks85
March 5th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I have been there. I got by with headbands and doing short stubby side braids. Once I gained a few more inches, I could do the French twist and a small bun.

You could try experimenting with the French and Dutch braids. It is so much easier to learn on short hair and once you do when your hair gets longer, you can make some pretty styles. You could also try a Lace braid that goes over the top starting at the top of one ear and over your head.

I would try different things such as buying some hair accessories to add some pizzazz. Do not worry this phase will pass and your hair will be longer before you know it.

bubbles_87
March 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have about the same length as you right now. And I feel the same way as you but you know what we are almost there! just a couple more inches until your hair hits your shoulders. I think the only hairstyle you can do for now is half up and ponytails. Just hang on there.

juliaxena
March 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
A couple of inches till shoulder? Isn't shoulder lenght meant to be top of your shoulders?

I wear half ups (also in current pic) and pony and peacock twist. If I'm in the mood I make a french braid. I don't trim too much I think. For now I trimmed only 1/8 of an inch every three months since my big cut.

So real buns are off limits for almost a year still. Sigh, oh well.

Calista
March 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Have you tried a sock bun yet? You might be able to do a sock bun. :)

juliaxena
March 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Yes, I have made one good atempt at it, I actually had it in my signature, but since then the hair is flying out of it even though it is long enough.

julliams
March 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I guess there is the top of your shoulders (which it seems to be touching now) and then there is the bottom of your shoulders (which it will touch when it is a couple of inches longer). If you look at your picture you will see what I mean. The outline of your shoulder at this stage is visible and once your hair is long enough, it will most likely touch or lay over those.

It's like any of the milestones. I feel like I've been at BSL now for about 3 months. I mean, it was JUST touching the top of my bra strap in december, and now in march, it's only now just gone past the bottom of it.

Dare I say it but maybe it's time to take a little time away from the boards for a while??? Does looking at super long hair make it hard for your to enjoy your own hair? Anyone who has a pixie cut they are growing out would look longingly at your percfect "all the one length" hair. I personally have always loved your hair. When it was about chin length I loved how it sat so perfectly around your face. If you look at my siggy you can imagine how mine would be all over the place at that length. I guess sometimes we want most what we don't have.

I've been taking a photo each month and discovered that my hair grows 5/8 of an inch each month. Even after four months, if you look at my photo, it doesn't look like a huge amount of length has happened, but it just looks thicker overall.

I've decided now to take a picture every three months - that way I've got close to 2 inches of growth and at least the difference will be more marked. I'm thinking that I'll be able to get on with life a little better knowing that I'm only taking pictures every quarter and not thinking, "I wonder how much it's grown this week?" which is what has been going on in my brain in the last couple of months.

One style I could only do at your length was the tails up style with a french barette. It sat so well and the ends were just in the right place. Now I don't even have that one in my set if styles because it hangs all wrong.

Pigtails are perfect at your length, especially when coupled with a cute headband. Experiment with some styles and come up with some new ones to show others what to do with hair at this length. Have fun and the time will go by a little easier. Your hair is beautiful now.

Take care,
Juliette

countryhopper
March 6th, 2010, 05:21 AM
How about using a thinner or shorter sock for the sock bun? this might help you be able to keep it up without having so many flyaways. You could always stick a hairstick or fork behind it, just for show :)

Yes, try french braiding or dutch braids. And maybe check to see that you're doing all you can to protect the length as it grows, and see about any vitamin supplements or diet changes that could boost growth.

CuddlyChicken
March 6th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Addressing the slip issues--once I started going no-cone, I noticed that my 1b/F/ii hair started to stay up better than it had before.

Noticed that too. Well, I actually noticed it the other way around, I went back to cones the other day as I part of my hair is still damaged from a lot of colouring etc. so I thought I'd cone until I can cut that out. Now my hair just keeps on slipping out all the time which is very annoying :mad:

I've got a bit shorter hair than you btw. and still manage to pin most of my hair up. My bangs are too short but I think it looks quite good on me to have some hair frame my face. Anyway, my updos are not exciting at all but the hair is up and with that out of the way. Now I don't fuss over it as much as I did before and I notice growths far better.

Madame J
March 6th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I think you're right about where I was when I got a 1" trim at the beginning of May. In six months, I was at APL. You seem like you're growing fine.

I have iii-thickness hair and lots of layers, so I couldn't really get any updos to stay except inbraided styles. I would suggest you try lots of French braids. I did an updo with two French braids where I tucked each end under the other (there's a pic in my updo album) and fastened it with mini-claw clips. If your hair can take them, mini claw clips were my short-hair-stage savior. Good luck!

gmdiaz
March 6th, 2010, 06:59 AM
You know when you have your heart set on a certain length. . . or just a longer length, you can sort of get tunnel vision set on what you cannot do and don't focus on what you can do.

I've been playing with those SUPER tiny claw clamps from Walmart. I bought two sets, so have bunch of these.

Instead of doing two barrettes one on either side, as I am sure you've seen, I've been clipping up sections of my hair. . .up to eight sections with those little claws, four on each side. . .almost like a circlet or headband. The wilder you go, crossing over your usual part etc., the better it looks.

Looks great, doesn't damage your hair. . .and gives lift around your face.

Maybe try something like that for a while to take your mind off not trimming?

Arctic
March 6th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I was doing "buns" at your length, gather hair, coil, tuck the ends behind the rest of the coil and fasten with mini claw clips. Also messy "buns" with mini claws are possible. I think you can also do at least double french braids and beacock twists. Probably very soon if not already, french twists. You can also practice lace braiding your bangs area/ front and side hairs. Or do finger waves!

ETA: I have some photos if I remember correctly in my blog that might interest you. Oh and as soon as I was able to make a short braid, I made a folded braid with 2 small sticks, it looked like braided bun at that lenght and I liked it very much! It was my first style I was able to do with hair sticks.

GoddesJourney
March 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Well, you can obviously ponytail at that length. That's a start. It will probably be another two to three months before you can successfully French twist. Factors to consider: style of pins you're using to hold up your hair, layers, wetting or lightly oiling hair before updos, silicone use, etc.

adiapalic
March 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'd say you are at shoulder length. The back of your hair is longer than the sides, and is visually even (would even overlap) with your shoulders, so it still counts!

For updo's, I'd say you could get double french braids with that length, and it would look great. There's also a way you can style your hair by taking little pieces, twisting and fixing in place close to your head with a bobby pin. It'll give the look of little feathery tufts of hair pointing out all over the back of the head in swirls. I always thought this was a cute and fun style for girls with shorter hair.