PDA

View Full Version : An Excruciating Sight!!

Rosamaria
May 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
I just thought I'd tell you all about something I saw on the train going up to London the other day.

A young guy got on, with long, mid-back-length hair and to my horror showed me a new way of dealing with split ends :eek: He looked for a split end and when he found one, began to PULL THE ENDS APART!! He split the hair in two for about 8" until one of the halves snapped off!:(

I felt quite sick and couldn't watch!

Can anyone top this story with a worse example of hair-care?;)

DecafJane
May 2nd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Wow, I don't think I could top that - it is almost right up there with people who chew on the tassels of their braids, or bite the ends off split-ends. Ick.

Was his hair in horrid condition?

Rosamaria
May 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
It was nice and long, but the top part of it was greasy and the bottom part dry. That's all I saw before I buried my nose in my book !

DecafJane
May 2nd, 2008, 06:14 AM
It sounds awful - anybody who does that can NOT be interested in maintaining healthy hair.

seabear
May 2nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
I used to do that when I was a teen, it was a nervous habit.

Dianyla
May 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Wow, I don't think I could top that - it is almost right up there with people who chew on the tassels of their braids, or bite the ends off split-ends. Ick.

Was his hair in horrid condition?
Hey, I do that too! If I see a split and haven't got my scissors, I just bite it cleanly off. I have also been known to dissect splits the way that young man was doing. Egads, the HORROR!!!!! :rolleyes:

Of course, it is much better to make a neat tidy snip with sharp scissors. But geez, lighten up people! It's just hair! :shrug:

Rosamaria
May 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
I agree, 'it's just hair' but would you do it in a crowded carriage? It's a bit like cleaning your nails in public or picking your nose ;)

I was rather amused by my own reaction - fancy feeling sick :rolleyes: !

willowcandra
May 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I used to do that when I was little. It stopped the hair looking split and I didn't know better.

Carolyn
May 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah I've done that before. It was before my LHC days of course ;) Yes I did it in public. I'll do S & D in public now and then. I can't get my panties in a twist over what someone else does to their hair :shrug: I've found I can't be concerned over anyone else's hair but mine. I'm sure very few people, no matter what their hair length, would be willing to and want to follow the LHC standards of hair care.

Igor
May 2nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
I just thought I'd tell you all about something I saw on the train going up to London the other day.

A young guy got on, with long, mid-back-length hair and to my horror showed me a new way of dealing with split ends :eek: He looked for a split end and when he found one, began to PULL THE ENDS APART!! He split the hair in two for about 8" until one of the halves snapped off!:(

shudder: A friend of mine does the same thing.... She even proudly showed me her "hair care"

Blueglass
May 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Believe me I've seen worse. If it's only the occasional hair may not matter too much.

Tap Dancer
May 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM

If I see a split and there are no scissors around, I'll bite it off. I don't do it while anyone else is around. But I would never chew my hair or pull a split end apart. Eww...

CurlyOne
May 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
I had a friend who did the same thing. It drove me nuts! Even before I joined LHC I knew that was a bad thing to do.

Hayat
May 2nd, 2008, 08:00 AM

I actually became physically sick from reading this. This is just a horrible way of treating your hair, and it reminds me of some teenagers I knew some years ago. They had BSL length, and the more damaged and unhealthy hair they had, the better. They even said it straight out that it was really "hot" to have damaged and unhealthy hair, and this was also their goal. (They were actually serious).

This, in my opinion, is just unbelievable!:rolleyes:

heidi w.
May 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
I can't top it but I have witnessed this, particularly amongst the teen crowd.

heidi w.

dagonlilly
May 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
ugg that reminds me of nail on a chalk board.

akka naeda
May 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I still do that occasionally, especially if I get stressed and my hair isn't up. If my hair is up then I twiddle my fingers nervously instead. I don't have that many splits though so it really happens infrequently, and I'd never do it when I was out either.

In public though, it's like doing S&D (I had a friend who used to do that in public, and it really irritated me and everyone else, one person described it as looking like she was looking for lice) or doing/redoing your hair on public transport.

Patrycja
May 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I used to do that out of boredom...

but I so know better now.

Tapioca
May 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
If I don't have my scissors handy, I'll bite off the split, but I try to do it as clean as possible. I'll S&D in my own car (sitting in the parking lot while DH runs in to the preschool to get DD), but I won't on public transportation. I will brush my hair and put it up on the bus. (I used to put my makeup on while riding the bus, too. Back when I wore makeup.)

SHELIAANN1969
May 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
ok, I just thought of something, "brilliant idea"

If someones hair was damaged, and was all split, and they split each of their hairs, wouldnt they have twice as much hair?? lololol

And I have bit a split too, hehehe, bad bad Shelia, (that was pre-LHC though)

I havent flossed my teeth with my hair though, hahahaha...ewwwwwwwww

camillacamilla
May 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I am such a search and destroy addict that ther is no way I could unravel my hair, pulling on the split. I would make a mental note of where it is, then find it when I got to a good pair of scissors! I used to keep S&D scissors on my desk at my old job and when boredom hit- clip the splits.:shrug:

Saranne772
May 2nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
I have been known to cut them off and then dissect them! But not while still attached to my head. And Ive been known to bite them off too, although I try not to do this anymore!

Fluke
May 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Wow... I figure I must have really weird hair... I can't even imagine what such a split would look like..! one I could actually grab and pull apart.. are split ends really that obvious? I can usually only tell that I'm due for a trim because my ends tangle more than usual, but I've never really seen a hair in two actual pieces... maybe it's a Fine thing...?

Nevermore
May 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
I used to do that when I wore my hair down, but I didn't show anyone or anything. This was when it was bsl-ish and bleached at the last 6ish inches. Pretty much every end was split, sometimes more than once, so they attracted my wrath and compulsive need to remove them at all costs.

kwaniesiam
May 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Arg my friend has really pretty hip length 1c/m/iii hair and she'll sit there in class and pull apart her splits. It drives me crazy. I yelled at her and handed her my mini scissors one day ;)

littlebabywulf
May 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
I did it once before, just because I was curious to see how far it would split. But, I just pulled out the single hair that had the split instead of leaving it attached. I will admit that it creeped me out! It felt weird; it still gives me the shivers thinking about it. shudder:

PseudoScot
May 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hey, I do that too! If I see a split and haven't got my scissors, I just bite it cleanly off. I have also been known to dissect splits the way that young man was doing. Egads, the HORROR!!!!! :rolleyes:

Of course, it is much better to make a neat tidy snip with sharp scissors. But geez, lighten up people! It's just hair! :shrug:

LOL. I agree! It's not like he did it to all his hair.

I agree, 'it's just hair' but would you do it in a crowded carriage? It's a bit like cleaning your nails in public or picking your nose ;)

I was rather amused by my own reaction - fancy feeling sick :rolleyes: !

Toying with hair in my opinion [and it's an opinion] is not NEARLY as gross as cleaning nails or picking one's nose in public! Hair can be picked/rubbed/blown off. Snot is another thing entirely.

I suppose everyone has a different threshold of 'ick'. :shrug:

Sometimes it is fascinating to see how long a hair will split. I can't remember doing this myself but it's just a hair. I have 493825043689035 more so I'm not too worried. :)

PatGear
May 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I have done it before, and wouldn't hesitate to do it once in a while even now if I felt like it. :shrug: I usually try to see how far I can make the split go up before it breaks off. Sort of like a game/challenge! :D

Isilya
May 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I have 493825043689035 more so I'm not too worried. :)

You counted them? You must be very patient :p

I pull a split hair out when I see one and don't have scissors with me. And then I like to pull them apart to see how far it goes before breaking off. I will not do this in public (train, bus, ...), though.

ETA: I see PatGear has the same idea of fun concerning split hairs :)

Speedbump
May 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Well, at least he didn't set his hair on fire or something. See, it could be worse! :twisted:

Delenn
May 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I have done it before, and wouldn't hesitate to do it once in a while even now if I felt like it. :shrug: I usually try to see how far I can make the split go up before it breaks off. Sort of like a game/challenge! :D

Same here, it's kind of along the lines of when you have peeling skin after a sunburn... let's see how big of a patch you can get in one piece! LOL, TMI alarm just went off... :run:

Schnee
May 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

If I see a split I'll just ignore it, never though of biting it off... Which of coures intrigued me into trying to bit my own hair off. Not so easy, really, and I got pieces of hair in my mouth..blah... I think I'll just stay with scissors at need.:p

DecafJane
May 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Re biting off splits, perhaps I'm just jealous - it has been so long since I could even think about biting my hair that it seems incomprehensible to me. ;)

I remember a long time ago when I would do a S&D and pull the split apart after it had been trimmed off my head, but I don't think I ever did it when it was still attached.

renarok
May 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Back in the 70's, I had long hair and I used to search for splits just to do this, kinda like snapping the wishbone..... I used original Herbal Essence shampoo, first generation hot rollers, ( the ones guaranteed to snarl up in your hair when you took them out,) I used a goody brush, with REALLY sharp black plastic bristles, red rubber bands (RUBBER), and I can honestly say my hair has never been healthier. I don't know why, but I see pictures now and it just looks so pretty......I want my 70's hair back.

AshleyP
May 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I used to do that. I havent done it in years, but I liked seeing how far up the strand I could make it before it broke off. :shrug:

levelek
May 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
[snip]
In public though, it's like doing S&D (I had a friend who used to do that in public, and it really irritated me and everyone else, one person described it as looking like she was looking for lice) or doing/redoing your hair on public transport.

[snip]

[snip]

Whoopsie. I bite off the split ends all the time. In public. I didn't realise people might think it's gross. It's an obsessive-compulsive thing with me, so in my mind it's more like smoking a cigarette than cleaning your nails. Maybe akin to biting one's nails? Not the most elegant thing to be sure, but do you really get icked out the same way as with someone picking their nose?! It doesn't involve any grime whatever. :shrug:

Carolyn
May 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Whoopsie. I bite off the split ends all the time. In public. I didn't realise people might think it's gross. It's an obsessive-compulsive thing with me, so in my mind it's more like smoking a cigarette than cleaning your nails. Maybe akin to biting one's nails? Not the most elegant thing to be sure, but do you really get icked out the same way as with someone picking their nose?! It doesn't involve any grime whatever. :shrug:Hair playing in public or end biting or whatever you want to call it doesn't bother me in the least. I'd much rather be around someone who was messing with their hair, than to be around a smoker. Sorry smokers but the smell just bothers me.

zift
May 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Uuuum I used to do it all the time but didn't give a sh*t about long hair care back than. And I think it should be understandable for a person to not care about haircare why do we all need to be polished or what.:confused:
But I just don't like when people do it in public.I don't mean to hurt anyone with this but if you do it outside you should know somebody might be not comfortable.I got irritated when at the bus a lady sat in front of me and started bitting the split-ends of her hair and spitting them out towards me:rolleyes:. I got scared her bit hair would fall in my lap(I mean they just fell on my shoe):scared: And we stared at each other with BF and asked each other why isn't she doing it at home:shrug:

Elenna
May 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I guess it's all about being polite, but annoying habits run from mildly irritating to downright awful. BTW, smoking is at the top of my annoyances.

Dianyla
May 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Toying with hair in my opinion [and it's an opinion] is not NEARLY as gross as cleaning nails or picking one's nose in public!
Actually, I do both of those things too. Frankly, I couldn't care less! :knuckle:

anna1850
May 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM

I chew my braid tassel. Not in a way that would damage the hair though I don't think and it's only when I'm stressed. I don't do it in public though (well, I did do it for a few second in an exam in January but I made myself stop it!)

Wow... I figure I must have really weird hair... I can't even imagine what such a split would look like..! one I could actually grab and pull apart.. are split ends really that obvious? I can usually only tell that I'm due for a trim because my ends tangle more than usual, but I've never really seen a hair in two actual pieces... maybe it's a Fine thing...?

I never had any until I went about a year without cutting. I still don't have many but some people will get them very quickly if there hair is damaged whereas other people will have to go quite a long time without a cut to see them. Maybe you've been trimming too frequently for them to develop.

loves2spin
May 2nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
I used to do that when I was little. It stopped the hair looking split and I didn't know better.

That is really cute. :-) When I was little, I used to bite my toenails. :o Now, I couldn't get my foot anywhere near my face.

chelly
May 2nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
my split ends have split ends on their split ends so i do this all the time ::shame::

Rosamaria
May 3rd, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hey everybody, thanks for your responses. I've really enjoyed reading them: what a wide variety of opinions! I suppose we really do all have differing levels of what we perceive as being yuk!

psvzum
May 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Ewwwwwwwww!

UrbanEast
May 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that would be awful to watch! But I think that not all long haired people are as concerned about hair condition as we are. A certain group of longhairs--and I don't mean to be sexist, but I'd guess that more men than women are in this category--don't really care about the condition of their hair one way or the other. They just don't like the look of short hair, or see their long hair as a statement.

Alaskanheart
May 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hair playing in public or end biting or whatever you want to call it doesn't bother me in the least. I'd much rather be around someone who was messing with their hair, than to be around a smoker. Sorry smokers but the smell just bothers me.

I agree 100%. Ive never pulled the split apart, but I have very seldom if I see a badly very badly damaged hair with splits and dotes and wiriness, Ive done the absolute unthinkable!Ive pulled it out!:o

Awalia
May 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I have done the exact same thing.. That was when i was still bleaching my hair and i knew nothing about haircare. Oh dear, those times..

ginalaurie
May 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
It has never even occurred to me to bite or pull apart split ends. But when you described it, I actually feel a little pain in my stomach! It's definitely up there on the "yuck" factor with me.

When I was little, my hair was never long enough to see a split end. My mother kept it about jaw-length on me. Maybe we don't see more people doing this because most people have short hair nowdays.

Gecko
May 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
eeek! I couldn't do that to my hairs. If I see a split end I'll snip it off if I'm near some scissors and if I'm not I leave it alone.
A few years ago I watched some show that Hilary Duff was on and the host/interviewer/whoever asked her what she did when she had split ends and she said she pulled them apart like that.

teadragon
May 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sometimes I'll do that when I'm bored. I have hair that's very easy to damage, so I have splits upon splits. I'll see how far I can pull the splits apart. Usually if it goes up more than an inch or so I'll pull the hair out--I'd rather do that than leave a deliberately damaged section high up in the length.

I don't bite split ends. Never really occurred to me, and I don't really care to start.