PDA

View Full Version : Does Your hair match your style??

09robiha
March 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Ok, yes i am really bored and have been pondering over this today. I have curly hair and have always seen curls as something 'girly' or 'femanine' and i had to wear clothes that refelcted this. Maybe its what society has touaght me to belive but iw as thinking.....does your long hair go with your style?? Do your buns and braids fit fit and match up with what you choose to wear?

CrisDee
March 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Interesting question. I think that's one of the things I miss most about my long hair (growing out a pixie at present). When it was long, I could put it into a neat bun or French twist, and it would go quite well with the conservative business attire I've had to wear to work for the past 30+ years - but then I could "pull the pin on the Irish hair bomb" (i.e. remove hair stick :D) and the length would look great with tshirts and jeans. I think long hair gives the most versatility, will be interested to see others' responses. :)

sherigayle
March 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Part of my personal style is mixing styles. I like to wear my pearls with a t-shirt and jeans. Or a pretty floral dress with big boots. I wear a lot of cardigans in the winter and they are more of a conservative look. But I'll wear two braids or fun hair toys. Since I cover my grey hairs with temporary colors, any style becomes more interesting. So having long hair fits my style very well. I find short hair a little boring. I was always bored with it anyway. Long hair is just so versatile.

naereid
March 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I suppose my style inspirations are mermaids, fairies and the 19th century. :grnbiggri Long hair is a staple of all of these, so growing it out definitely fits. I'm just BSL at the moment, but it'll get better.
Oh, I also stopped wearing pants about a year ago, and long hair fits perfectly with skirts for that romantic look. So that's a plus too. :grnbiggri

Rentlle
March 5th, 2010, 09:45 AM
hmmm, sometimes..
I love the "romantic" look on women.. so I try it myself to.
But I see "romantic" as curly long loose hair.. and my hair is straight and most of the time in a bun.. :p
But if I would want to, and i do a little effort, then i can make my hair match my style..:)
I've come to the point that it's more important for me to keep my hair healthy then show it and let it hang loose in all its glory.. :lol:
But I try to make my buns look romantic by putting little flowers, or braids in it, .. :)

Messyhair
March 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have a super casual style (i.e. I don't care how I look :p) and my hair is generally the same. haha! Thankfully, I have straight hair that doesn't need any special care.

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hmmm. My main style is black rock tees and jeans, with combat boots or sneakers. I also do skirts every so often, but most of the time I pair it with a black rock shirt. The more flowery the skirt, the better it looks with the tee and boots, in my opinion. ;) I also wear nail polish on a regular basis - having kids means I'm washing them and my hands constantly, so I have to reapply almost daily. But I like it. And I usually wear black or shades of blue or red. Sometimes all at the same time. I'm not sure what my style is, to be honest. I guess, rocker chick-ish?

And I wear my hair up with scrunchies and sticks ALL THE TIME. Actually I'm in the middle of the wear-hair-up-challenge right now. (I love to wear it down at home in the evenings, but I'm trying to make it to the end of the school year wearing it up, to see if I've cut down on damaged ends.)

So, I don't know if my hair styles are actually in tune with my style of dress - but I think they are with my house decorating style. There is a lot of Asian influence in my house along with the gothic, having relatives who are from Japan, plus a love of anime. :D So hairsticks would tie in with that somewhat.

Upside Down
March 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Ok, yes i am really bored and have been pondering over this today. I have curly hair and have always seen curls as something 'girly' or 'femanine' and i had to wear clothes that refelcted this. Maybe its what society has touaght me to belive but iw as thinking.....does your long hair go with your style?? Do your buns and braids fit fit and match up with what you choose to wear?

I always saw curly hair as wild and untamed, and loved it for that, but also always kind of envied women who had waves because they seemed sooo feminine to me... now I lost curls and have waves, and really miss curls :)
You just can not have it all...!

Hiriel
March 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure my clothes or hair have any style at all ;)

Athena's Owl
March 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My hair is naturally curly, and quite long. I can wear it in a way that makes me think of pre-raphaelite paintings, or in several different buns or braidstyles.

long, curly, full hair strikes me as quite dramatic. i don't wear my hair out when i'm feeling like I don't want to be noticed!

aililiú
March 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM
no, sadly, it does not!
the hair that would fit with my personality/style would be wild, curly or kinky, untamed. my hair instead has always been fine, straight, and silky :rant: because of this i've caused it a lot of damage by bleaching, dying, dreading, and backcombing to gain volume.

my style is a fusion of faery/celtic/native american/anime ninja/sloppy artist.
HAHAHA.
so i know straight hair could fit with that,
but (and this is weird) i do not think it looks good with my skull shape, the way its all flat on top!

however, recently i have noticed some dark, kinky, coarser hairs coming in .......... :eyebrows:

JaclynBailey
March 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I think my hair matches my style perfectly! I tend to rock the romanti-goth look or the not quite rockabilly goth look. My hair is naturally almost curly to curly and quasi thick. It is also naturally black. When I want to go with a more rockabilly look I just quickly give it the once over with a blowdryer set to cold and run my paddle brush through it. When I want to go with the more romanti-goth look I just run my brush through it once or twice once it is mostly dry and then leave it to curl as it may.

Gilraen
March 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, my hair isn't at the length I want it yet, but when it is I will have a lot of fun styling it to fit my personality. I love the casual + feminine look (pairing pretty updos with jeans and blouses/tee shirts), and my curls kinda make any hairstyle look fancy, so I just work with it and try and own the style instead of the other way 'round.

Dementia1013
March 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I actually dress according to what I have my hair in that day. I have pants and tees, but also boho skirts and dresses. I have a very hippie/bohemian style I think and the romantic/messy updos I choose fits perfectly. Although when I have to be pretty for a concert or something I can easily flip flop and have a nice french twist or rose bun.

girloctopus
March 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I wear tshirts and jeans pretty much all the time, and scrubs (not casually, haha). So with the scrubs my hair is securely up and back as neatly as possible, and with the jeans and tshirts it's usually up messily or down if I'm going out somewhere. I think it fits. For as long as I've had control over my own hair, I usually keep it long, and in high school I was known for having long hair. So yeah, long hair is my style :D

Kristin
March 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Long hair definitely fits my style. I am either in jeans, khakis, or some romantic bohemian skirt/tall boots combo. It's a bit wavy, but I kinda wish it were wavier; as it is I am always tempted to curl it with hot rollers.

The other problem is that I have a love/hate relationship with my layers. I used to love them because they created volume and were really pretty curled. :) Plus, they're the "popular" way to wear hair. Now that I'm only LHC, I want them to grow out so they don't stick out of my updos. But then on days that I wear my hair down- like today- I want them cut back because my hair looks flat. :confused: *sigh* Guess I can't have it both ways.

guccixx
March 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hmm... I don't really know, I mean I think my hair definitely fits me because it's very feminine and so am I. But sometimes I think women who are into fashion are not into really long hair...:shrug:

Most days I am dressed business because I work in an office. On the days at the daycare center where I also work, I like to just wear skinny jeans and a tshirt. When I go out at night I am always in heels, dresses, & full makeup. But otherwise I would be wearing skinnies tucked into boots and a cami + cardigan.

Kya
March 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I like the question. I've been thinking about if my hair matches my style, my makeup, my life and I've determined that what I need is not new hair, but new clothes, new makeup, etc. to go with my hair. That's where I am right now.

lunagoose
March 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I don't think I have any style at all, I am not great at matching clothes, hairstyles and make up to create certain look. I usually wear jeans and t-shirts (when not at work) and running shoes as well as sport sweaters. I don't have many fashionable feminine clothing pieces. Most of the time I wear my hair down because I haven't invested in hair toys at the moment. Pretty boring really.

LucyHope
March 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Yes... and no. :)

Long hair matches my style in that I'm kind of old-fashioned, and occasionally do re-enactment activities (16th century and 19th century). I also come from a hippy/folky background, so I blend in there *if* I want to (which is not often!).

Long hair can also match my style if I want to go full-on glamour-puss pinup style - it's not so great for "normal" 1930s and 1940s day-to-day styles, which is what I prefer if/when I bother doing anything in particular with my hair.

On a day-to-day basis, I guess it's an okay match - I wear a lot of vintage-inspired clothes, so long hair can look nice, and does an okay up-do. But the longer it gets, the harder it is to style ("style", as opposed to "stick in a generic braid/bun"), since most haircuts from the late 30s-50s were shoulder-length or shorter, with layers, and the styles were prepped accordingly. Pincurls, in particular, are progressively harder once you get past flip-length.

I also don't have much patience with rollers, so that's one of the reasons I get frustrated with long hair - I get frustrated and start to think it's boring. :p *pause for howls of shock and derision* :D

Kelli Kat
March 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Pretty much overall I would say yes. And I also color it to match my style better.

GlassEyes
March 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Ehhhhhh. Sort of yes, sort of no.

I have a really random way of dressing (I can look like a typical dude one day, then walk out the next day in goth regalia, not to mention my more 'punk' days), but my hair tends to suit it. Not in a typical way, really, but I hardly do anything typical dress-wise. :shrug:

mira-chan
March 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM
What is this style you speak of?:p

Sometimes. Most times I don't really care what matches what as long as it is somewhat presentable and covers enough for lab safety. On day off work I'm all over the place from various ethnic (Indian, Russian) traditional clothing looking things to Japanese style layering. Long hair can be styled to match them.

autumnsdaughter
March 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Well, 5-6 months ago I decided to go from rich red hair to dark, dark brown to look more "modern". That was a mistake! I should have known better, I am not a modern girl! I dress in skirts, ruffles, lace, and floral patterns, I am very romantic. I did like the gothic aspect of very dark hair with very pale skin, but it is not really me. Now that color is fading out, and my natural auburn color is showing more, and my waves are getting spirally again, so I feel more like myself. :)

christine1989
March 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I like things simple, put together, classic and a bit girly. Generally I like a classy look without too much work. I like to put foam curlers in at night then brush it out in the morning for big waves with volume. If I have no time I like to put in one of my clips and do a peacock twist.

Gilraen
March 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The other problem is that I have a love/hate relationship with my layers. I used to love them because they created volume and were really pretty curled. :) Plus, they're the "popular" way to wear hair. Now that I'm only LHC, I want them to grow out so they don't stick out of my updos. But then on days that I wear my hair down- like today- I want them cut back because my hair looks flat. :confused: *sigh* Guess I can't have it both ways.

Same here. If you find the answer, let me know. ;) I absolutely hate having hair stick out of my updos and braids, but I don't think anything can convince me to give up my layers. My hair just does not look good without layers.

Jules diamond
March 5th, 2010, 07:31 PM
My hair is decently wavy, thick and layered, and my style is sort of business punky. It fits pretty well together, even though they're opposite, mostly because of how wild I leave it.

oceanwoman111
March 5th, 2010, 07:57 PM
My hair really doesn't match my dressing style. A flapper hairstyle from the 20's would probably fit better. My clothing style is kind of modern, tailored, sleek and sexy with a little bit of rock n roll. Jeans, t-shirts, lots of chunky bracelets and jewelry. I was never into the whole feminine, frilly thing although now I'm trying to incorporate it more. I LOVE those cute hats from the 30's and they would look better with shoulder length hair.

But, there is one problem, I Love Long Hair!!! I love the exotic, ancient, magical quality of really long hair. it just has such a mystical quality to it and that's who I am too!!!
Maybe my dress style just hasn't caught up yet. :)

MandyBeth
March 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Does it match my personal style - errmmm, dunno. I think it's too delicate and girly for me. But as I can not magically give myself a heaping mass of rioting black curls, so I'll take my red - that I've been informed "gives me a temper".

Does it match my work style - it pretends to, does that count? It doesn't like to exactly behave normally, but I can start to contain it nicely.

catysue
March 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Yes, kind of. I follow fashion and I love to dress up. My style is a mix of vintage femme and edgy masculine pieces. For instance, today I wore a high-waisted, below the knee bubble skirt in deep blue brocade, a cream-colored cardigan, grey patent pumps and my leather motorcyle jacket. I wore my hair down. I really think long hair matches ANY style because you can basically do whatever with it.

BlueMuse
March 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Yep yep. I love my hair and I'm a weird, quirky dresser. I like that I can put my hair up in a bun and then clip a ton of stuff to it or add flashy, dangly sticks or a handful of peacock feathers. That, and I keep some pictures of me with short hair around because my word that did not look good.

BranwenWolf
March 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Mine's wild and usually always loose.
It fits with me being unconventional, same reason I refuse to do a side part like the rest of this town.

Rhiannon7
March 6th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I'm a medieval, gothic, hippie at heart and i feel my hair matches my style. i love ultra long hair, buns and braids and i've tried to learn to do the 1800's styles of buns, tight bun but loose, poofy around the bun.

Like these.

http://blog.familytreemagazine.com/photodetectiveblog/content/binary/other-close1.jpg

http://www.shootingstarhistory.com/hair90-1.jpg

But i cannot learn how to do this bun. :(

tralalalara
March 6th, 2010, 01:08 AM
my style for school is lazy, so hair down, or wet and in a braid/bun totally fits.

when I go out, i'm laid back, so hair down or in loose braids or a fluffy bun with a braided "headband" fits really well too.

ZaBasDa
March 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I have no style. I wear everything. I am very colorful, and my hair is wildly curly and colorful, so in a way it matches.

Alveradis
March 6th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I like to wear tight jeans or denim skirts,boots and leather or denim jacket,mostly black.I'm totally into accessories like big leather belts and silver jewellery.So i think my long hair fits very well.Mostly i wear it in a sleek ponytail,or bunned,then i often go for hoops or other earrings.

naereid
March 6th, 2010, 02:09 AM
http://blog.familytreemagazine.com/photodetectiveblog/content/binary/other-close1.jpg

Oooooh, I want to learn how to do this one so badly!
That part above the forehead just seems impossible. I don't know how to make my hair bumpy instead of lying flat across my scalp, and my part always starts showing...

Juanita
March 6th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Mostly I match. Always a hippie/folky look. Some trendy looks don't work because of hair.(long white/silver/grey) But dont tend to go for them. Even wearing up doesn't always look right. But I am known for my quirky unconventional style so does't worry me.

Olde Soul
March 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I fall into the Rennie/pseudo-hippie category, so long hair works well with my broomstick skirts and peasant blouses. I tend to dress more secretarial in the winter for some reason (pencil skirts and velvet blazers), so I just throw my hair in a bun and I'm good to go. Henna did wonders in making my hair match my style (I should have been born a redhead) ;)

Sissy
March 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm a nature lover and have kinda straight to slightly wavy hippie styled type hair. I think it fits me, I've never been one to bother curling my hair or getting all dolled up. I more like being out and enjoying nature, so it's fitting!

Tangles
March 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
My style is casual for the most part, and my unstyled, brown waves match it well. I feel like I can never quite decide whether my style is modern or old-fashioned, and my hair can't really decide either. :)

spidermom
March 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm generally a jeans/slacks and fitted shirt kind of person, and I think I could do absolutely anything with my hair and still "go". Well - maybe not an orange mohawk or anything extreme.

Capybara
March 6th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Yes (:
I love dressing up (heels, pearls and a dress = day/night/school/work :p) and long hair lets me do elegant up-do's. I can also do casual jeans/top and still think the long hair matches. Short hair is just not me!

Fiferstone
March 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Totally, and I also color it to match my style better (thank you henna). I'm a 60's leftover, definitely.

TXbarbie
March 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Completely. I've been called Barbie since I can remember, and Mom calls me "Primp-erella" instead of Cinderella hehe. In all my years of college - even after a late night of drinking, studying, whatever - I have NEVER gone to class without makeup on. And I only wear sundresses in the summer. Long blonde hair totally complements my look!

HintOfMint
March 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Not at all. I have a pretty preppy and conservative style--button downs, loafers, blazers, pearls... etc. My hair, on the other hand, is thick and a little wild. Frankly, I like the contrast of it, and it stops me from looking like a parody of myself. Although I've been wearing my hair up more often to avoid friction, so I don't get to indulge in that contrast too often. However, even the updos provide a subtle contrast because its not the most typical thing (at least in these parts) to do braided intricate-looking buns, or 1940's type of hairstyles with preppy, almost masculine outfits.

Bah, I'm probably just overthinking things again:o

embee
March 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Tight bunned mean librarian hair here, mostly. :) Fits with my clothing and is very comfy for me.

I do like my hairsticks (all 3 of them) and I enjoy earrings, necklaces, and long skirts. Before my hands got big arthritic knuckles, I wore lots of rings as well.

It's not a "style" really, it's just what I wear.

Raponsje
March 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I think it fits me. It gives me the chance to look al corporate at work, a suit with no-nonsense bun, and also soft and girlie with two braids jeans and nice knit sweater. I also like the corporate look with a wink. A nice suit with my hair down or milkmaidbraids, just to make it less serious. Also the world around is used to the hair. To most me wouldn't be me without it.