PDA

View Full Version : I need a rant and some advice please

thefallen
March 5th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hi Every one ,

I recently like yesterday stumble on to this forum and thank goodness, I kinda needed a bit of a rant and some much needed advice by you experienced Growers-

2 days ago I went to the hairdressers, to have my hair trimmed, trimmed meaning maybe about an inch taken off and maybe some layers cut in to it , (it was just about 2 inches past my bra strap.

anyway I sat in the chair asked for a new style IE. keeping my length but something a bit neater as I have quite a bit of frizz.
Stylist then said don't worry I'm in good hands, and sat me down on a chair that had no mirror (by the way these guys are not cheap)

Long story short , I looked down as he was snipping away so see huge and i mean huge clumps of hair on the floor, I then started freaking out felt my hair , and I kid you not my hair now sits a bit below my earlobe !!!!

I actually started crying and borderline screaming at the stylist !!
im really really upset,

It sounds silly, because people keep telling me its just hair, and I tried explaining it to my Boyfriend , I feel like I have lost my MOJO and not sexy at all (does this make sense ) can anyone else relate to this ?

also I would like anyone's advice on vitamins I currently take MSM and since yesterday massaging hemp oil in to my hair and on my scalp, or whatever it is i could do to at least get a length where by I could tie my hair up or something,

Anything at all would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

xx
zoe :)

09robiha
March 5th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Its not silly at all. Losing so much hair can be a real shock and personally i would find it very very upsetting too. I like to hide behind my hair and when it started to fall out and i had to cut it short i felt really vunerable.
The best thing to do is just let it grow....and never go back to that salon again. In fact i would have demanded my money back. Simply be nice to your hair, avoid the hairdryer and the flat iron, treat it with respect and it will respond accordingly.
Treat yourself to some new clips,headbands, a ficcare or two and pretty bits to jazz up your hair for a while, maybe even invest in a longer wig or some Clip In extensions (not the glued or braided in type!!) to give you back a little length.
Again i am really sorry and feel your pain but like people have said. Hair is hair. Its grows and it WILL grow back . Time heals alot of wounds, including hair disasters

angelthadiva
March 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I am so sorry you went through this :( I don't think it is silly at all for you to be feeling the way you do :flower: I do think you can get your MOJO back though...You just have to realize it comes from within not without.

paperwhite
March 5th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Wow, I'm really sorry this happened :( I really, really hope you didn't pay for that hair cut (and if you did, go back and get your money!). Something that drastic would have warranted me speaking directly with the manager about the hack job that that hair dresser did. It's one thing for a stylist to go a little shorter than you'd like, but to go from below BSL to your ears is totally unacceptable.

The only advice I have is to make sure you get every penny back from that guy and keep focusing on growing your hair back out. Treat it nicely, read some of the threads and articles here, grab a few pretty things to put your hair up in and try to enjoy growing it back out. It'll be weird at first, but maybe you can learn some fun hairstyles to wear along the way :flower:

Belisarius
March 5th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Well, several people here have found such an experience the right kind of motivator to grow their hair very long. And yes, i feel for you, to not get what you want. It must have been distressing.

oogie
March 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Welcome.

Sorry about your experience at the hair salon. The good thing that you can say is that you now can have a base from where you want to start from. You can actually witness the growth easily now. It also gives you plenty of options to try different looks and styles. (trying to be helpful)

Mojo is not in the hair but the head it's attached to. Keep your chin up. Hope to see you hanging around.

:flowers:

hanne jensen
March 5th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your hair nightmare. The plus side is that you're starting with virgin hair. If you are very impatient, check out the Monostat...Dare we Try This Again thread.

thefallen
March 5th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Goodness , thank you everyone, this really helps, all the threads and posts are so interesting and reassuring , again thanks a bunch

Addy
March 5th, 2010, 07:50 AM
You just retold my hair nightmare.

It is absolutely devistating and maddening.

Yes, it's hair and we all know it grows back but it doesn't grow back fast enough! Then add in an unsympathetic person and the emotions just go ten-fold. It's going to take time growing back. When it happened to me, it took about two years to get back to BSL but I was doing major trims in between because the layers were killing me inside. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, your hair will be long again. Also, when someone says you're in good hands, RUN far, far away!

I'm so sorry and just wanted to say, I know how you feel. :(

Carolyn
March 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
You're not silly at all. A lot of people have had the same experience. The shorter my hair is, the uglier and frumpier I feel. But what's done, is done. You have to focus on going on from here. Like someone else said, get your money back. If it was me and it was a local salon, I'd be bad mouthing them to anyone who would listen. Spending some time here at LHC and you'll learn lots of things you can do as your hair grows out. Most of all you'll get tons of support as you grow.

Unzadi
March 5th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I'm sorry you had to go through that. Such a drastic change, especially when you didn't want it, can be very traumatic. Do something nice for yourself; you deserve it.

What's done is done, but you're in the right place to learn lots of great ways to care for your hair as you grow.

phistash
March 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM
What on earth was that stylist thinking? I've lost a few extra inches to stylists before, but that is ridiculous. I'm sorry.
As others have noted, you are in the right place, and there are several members here who have grown their hair out from very short or even bald (I'm one of those), so you will definitely get some support. Good luck!

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Definitely get your money back if you haven't already!!

I agree with everyone else - you're in the best place imaginable to start fresh, and if you take nothing else from this site that you can use, at least there is a support system here unlike any other. :flower:

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, and I don't know what gets into stylists that makes them think it's OK to completely ignore what the customer wants. Not all of them are like that, but it seems to be a trend on this site. :(

walterSCAN
March 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
You're not silly at all. A lot of people have had the same experience. The shorter my hair is, the uglier and frumpier I feel. But what's done, is done. You have to focus on going on from here. Like someone else said, get your money back. If it was me and it was a local salon, I'd be bad mouthing them to anyone who would listen. Spending some time here at LHC and you'll learn lots of things you can do as your hair grows out. Most of all you'll get tons of support as you grow.

This^, the bolded part especially. I's so ridiculously sorry this happened to you... I would have been balling for hours.

One more thing you can take from this though, is to know that you should never, under any circumstances, allow someone to cut your hair in a chair without a mirror nearby so you can see what is going on...

The fact that salons have stations like that baffles me and seems really dishonest. What reason is there to not have a mirror unless you don't want me to see what you are doing to my head??

chopandchange
March 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Oh, poor you! I know how awful it feels. Thanks to this site I've learnt how to trim my own hair and need never go back to the "hairmessers." Maybe you could learn to trim it yourself, too - that way you have complete control over how much is taken off. :)

It will grow back. You just need patience. Hang in there!

BrightEyes
March 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I am so so so sorry this happened to you. :flowers:

As a hairstylist myself, when I read your story my blood just boiled. I know that there are stylists out there who simply think they know what is best for YOUR hair, and they throw your complete trust in them out the door. I'll admit that I'm not the most perfect stylist in the world, but when I have a client in my chair, I want to do all I can to make them happy (and in turn hope that they will come back to me). I just don't get how some can get in the attitude that "oh she/he is going to just love what I am going to do her/his hair!", and then chop inches (even feet) off. I've even heard of some stylists being jealous of long healthy hair. That's just obsurd. Sometimes I am ashamed of many in my profession. But please don't think that all stylists will treat you this way.

And not having a mirror at the station????? That is wrong. Whenever someone goes to a salon, they should be able to see what is happening to their hair at ALL TIMES.

Let me assure you that you have come to the right place. I've only been a member for a couple months, but I have already learned so many good things and am trying to break bad habits that I never realized were bad. When your hair is long enough again, you can even learn how to trim it yourself. Pamper your hair and remember that it will grow back. And in the meantime, enjoy the different lengths along the way.:)

khan
March 5th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Something similar happened to me a long time ago. An uneven cut on my waist length hair. I went back to the stylist. Got a refund. Informed the stylist that I was going to inform everyone I knew about her work. I worked retail at the time, I saw a great many people. Her boss called and apologized. The boss cut my hair again..... evenly. I ended up with about 3 inches less hair. Not sure what happened to the stylist.
I was much younger then, had a bit of a temper. Hopefully I saved someone else a bad experience. 'Cause my hair grows slow!!

emmabovary
March 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Oh My God. You poor thing!!! :violin: You should definitely get your money back! That stylist had no right to cut off so much. Beneath your earlobe!? I'm lost for words. Hmm I don't think I'll ever go to a hairdresser again if I can help it... what a horror story! :ohmy:

But yeah, there's so much great advice here on growing your hair out. I hope yours will grow back really fast! :blossom:

Rhiannon7
March 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the TLHC! i feel sorry for your situation, and understand you perfectly, if you paid for the cut go back and get your money back asap! in your place i would have the stylist fired. never go back to that salon, as a matter of fact if you know someone you trust absolutely have them trim your hair instead. your mojo is still there, just be patient and love your hair, treat it like antique lace (and i mean imagine your hair is lace from the 12 th. century and treat it specially carefully.) no blow dryers, no heat styling, no straighteners. if you can and want buy some clip on extensions, my niece bought some to hide her thinning hair and they look great, feel like real hair and actually look good on anyone. and always be patient, love your hair and think about this experience as a new start, so your hair will grow long and healthy and in as perfect a condition as possible.

You can wear cute barrettes, headbands, and even some updos if you experiment. i know it's hard but the best thing you can do now is simply be patient and protect your hair as much as possible. remember that benign neglect is also good, just poo and condish and smt's when necesary and your hair will thank you.

HTH, and please share a pic if you have them of before and after.

MissMandyElizab
March 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you!!! I would be so sad to if it was me.I know it will grow but thats not eally making you feel better i know!

adiapalic
March 6th, 2010, 12:55 AM
From just below brastrap to just below earlobe? Yikes, that's not maintaining any length at all. I'm sorry for your bad experience. I would definitely call and complain, and try to get your money back--as you said, not cheap!

If there's any way for you to find something positive about this disaster, consider this a really fresh start for you to get some really healthy length going.

There's so much great advice here, including techniques on self-trimming. LHC is a wonderful place for support. :flower:

BeatlesFanGirl
March 6th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Oh big hugs for you! :( I've experienced bad stylists too, 2,5 years ago I went to a hairdresser to have a trim, I also wanted some layers, I brought photos with me, and told her what I wanted, max. 1 inch trim, some layers, and the shortest one MUST be below my shoulder. Of course, the layers were an inch above my shoulder, although the length at the back was not much shorter. The haircut looked great and sexy - but that was not what I was asking for. I never went back...

marla
March 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I've had this happen to me more than once. I no longer go to salons. The last time I went was some time in 2007. The only person who is allowed to come near my hair with scissors is my sister. Just try not to lament too much your lost locks, they will grow back, and you won't make that mistake again.

renarok
March 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I am so sorry for your awful experience. I don't have any advice for you except to reassure that not all stylists are so blatantly abusive. I had my highlight appointment yesterday and asked for a small trim and that is what I got. He only took off about 1/2 an inch.

I actually just finished trimming 2 more inches myself because I felt the ends were just too thin looking.

I hope your hair grows quickly.

gmdiaz
March 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Oh, I know you just feel awful.

If ever there is a time to through a 'fit". . .if you haven't already, I would do it now.

Call and ask to speak directly to the manager. No point in speaking to someone that's just proved they are incapable of listening. Let her know exactly how you feel!

Tell the manager that you want your money back, you will not be paying for that bad bad bad service. Do not give them the satisfaction of keeping your money.

And then hang out here at the LHC. . .your hair will grow back quickly.

In the meantime try out all the new things you can do with your hair at this length. Ride in a car with the top down! And keep muttering to yourself, Damn the Torpedos! You'll have your MOJO back soonest of all.

nory87
March 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Ohhh Goshhhh!!! Big Hugs for you!!! I don't understand that if you told her maybe to cut an 1" off she went ahead and cut it the way she did!! I will be crying, screaming, and maybe kicking if someone would ever do that to me!!!

I hope you find nice tips here to get your hair growing beautiful and strong!! Again Big Hugs!!!

QueenBean
March 6th, 2010, 11:08 PM
After registering a complaint with the manager of the salon, I would probably contact the state board of cosmostology and see if I could file a complain there. I would then go out on all the info pages that ask you to rate businesses and rate the stylist - I tend to get mean and vindictive when I am angry and hurt.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Maybe you could get a clip in pony tail hair piece until it grows back out. (just so that you don't feel so naked)

heatherainsley
March 7th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Im sorry that happened to you. I completely understand how you feel about your hair and I would have been just as upset.

julliams
March 7th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I bet you had alarm bells going off the instant you realised there was not going to be a mirror. I would think that would be an important tool for the stylist as well as for the client.

Something along these lines happened to me too. I think I had slightly longer than BSL hair at the time and wanted a particular style that was slightly layered and sat at about shoulder length. My mother was with me at the time. The stylist put my hair in a ponytail, said "watch this mum" and proceeded to hack my hair off way higher than I was wanting. I ended up with something closer to chin length by the time he could even it up because when he took it down, the sides were the right length but the back was alot shorter.

I was really mad at him but I kept the ponytail and I still have it to this day. There is a good 6 or so inches there.

I haven't been to a hairdresser in over a year now but my last motto was that if they sent me off for a wash before they sat with me, felt my hair and asked me what I wanted, I would walk out.

Juliette