PDA

View Full Version : Come laugh at me....er, with me!!!!

Debra83
March 3rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
:o Yesterday morning....did I mention I'm not a morning person?.....I decided to dig out my hair straightener after at least 3 years of not using it. I washed my hair. Blow dried it as straight as I could (haven't used the blow dryer for about 4 months), then straightened it with the straightener. I did use a straightening heat protection cream first. Then, because it still wasn't "straight" I put in 3 soft elastic down the length of my ponytail to try to keep it from curling. This was the result,

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4366&pictureid=65741

After all that effort, for barely straighter hair, about 1:00 pm it hit me at work that I didn't remember unplugging the straightener or turning it off!! I couldn't think of anything else, so somebody had to drive me home so I could check!!! I had actually unplugged it. :o

I have now sworn off electrical appliances. I think this should include vacuum cleaners too....just in case!

countryhopper
March 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM
So funny! I've done that..."did you turn off the {insert dangerous electrical device here}?" just as we're driving down the street, or basically in no position to go back and check.

embee
March 4th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Heh. That's why I like to use my microwave to heat my breakfast.... it turns itself off.

chopandchange
March 4th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I remember hearing a warning about straighteners from a fireman interviewed on our local radio station. He was being interviewed following a house fire in the area which had been started by hair straighteners, and he said they wanted to warn the public that more and more fires are being started by people leaving their straighteners on and leaving them unattended. I remember him saying "what people don't realise is that straighteners heat up to temperatures hotter than the inside of an oven." So, not only are they bad for your hair, but they could burn your house down! :eek: I'm glad that didn't happen to you, Debra83!

Debra83
March 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Me Too!!!!!!

redneckprincess
March 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
your hair looks nice...I do that too, with the pony holders
I was on my way once to my youngest sons school to go on an all day field trip and when we got to the school, I realized I had forgot to lock my door, so with 20 minutes till the bus left (for the trip) we jumped back in my car to shoot home and lock the door...that was already locked...we now know that a trip from home to school takes 7 minutes exactly with no traffic...(and a little bit over the speed limit :(

*Rose Red*
March 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Oh yes, I always think about "did I lock the door", "did I turn off...". I always do it, but I always think about it :-)

jivete
March 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I have to say, outloud, "I am turning off the flat iron. I am putting it away." Otherwise I'll freak out all day thinking I left it on.

Kristin
March 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have to say, outloud, "I am turning off the flat iron. I am putting it away." Otherwise I'll freak out all day thinking I left it on.

Oh, that is hilarious! My DBF would think I'd lost it! I might try it just to freak him out...:p

kwaniesiam
March 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I got countless frantic texts from my roommates when I was in college about checking to see if they turned off/unplugged their flat irons :rolleyes:

christine1989
March 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Wow! That is my exact hair texture- big waves. I use to straighten to try to get rid of them :)

beez1717
March 4th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I love how your hair turned out, but if you could find a way to keep your hair straight without using harsh chemicals or heat, then that would be best as you probably know.

Debra83
March 4th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only electrical appliance underdog out there!!!! I just wanted to see how straight I could get it. I won't be doing that again for awhile. Not even sure if it was worth all that blood, sweat, and tears!!! I sure hope I didn't damage my hair in that effort. I kept it the same yesterday, (by that I mean no washing) but today I cwc'd and then used a pantene straightening serum and wide combed it through. It is by no means as straight, but it is soft and shiny, and straighter than my normal curls. Much easier and guilt free (almost) way of doing it for nearly the same results.

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Lol!! That's what happens when you're not used to it anymore and you don't USUALLY have to remember to unplug it! Let that be a lesson to you! ;)

Your waves and wurlies are looking so awesome and are getting so LONG by the way.

Johanna
March 7th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Back in highschool a close friend of mine got grounded for leaving her straightener on. It scorched her antique dresser so she got into a ton of trouble.
I've never really left anything like that on myself, but my partner has left the hotplates of the oven on for a while.

Multiruus
March 7th, 2010, 03:16 AM
:D funny.
I used to straight my hair a lot and to avoid such accidents I always had a special place for the flat iron on my shelf so I wouldnt leave it unpluged on table.

julliams
March 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I have to do the "I'm switching my straightener off now" in order to remember that I actually did turn it off.

I haven't straightened since September last year and decided to go ahead and straighten last week. I used to have it turned up to 210 degrees but this time I left it at the lowest which was 80 degrees. My hair was just as straight as it was when I was using high heat but...... I didn't like it!!!!

I thought I'd have all this extra length but a photo proved that it made no difference. My hair just looks better wavy - and that's that. The first pic was taken March 4th at night (hence flash) and the second was taken the day before air dried.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2678/4413641240_1a7c782462.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4413641392_eb867cf064.jpg

Multiruus
March 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
the waves are definitely a lot prettier on you!:O and they look healtier too.

Gingevere
March 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM
It's very important to remember to turn that stuff off, though. When I was in sixth grade, a girl I knew accidentally left her flat iron on before she got on the bus for school. No one was at home, and they live out in the country. A fire started, and their entire house burned down! No joke, it was all over the local newspaper and everything. She felt so guilty. That same year, another girl in my class started a small fire when she left her curling iron on while going to do something else. She forgot about it, and when she came back, half the room was on fire. The iron had fallen of her dresser, onto the carpet.

Moral of the story... if you get that gut feeling, go with it. Better safe than sorry.

strwbrry dakri
March 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I used to worry about my curling iron, and the garage door! I no longer use a curling iron, so that worry is gone, but I know my neighbors think I'm crazy. Leave, start obsessing about the door, turn around to make sure I reeeeallllly closed it, and then go to work. I think it's because these are daily events, we begin to feel like Groundhog Day - did I really do that, or do I remember doing it yesterday?

Dars
March 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM
My straightener turns itself off after 30 minutes of being turned on. :D I stopped using it 9 months ago though.

jexichan
March 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
My hair just looks better wavy - and that's that.
Indeed! Your hair color and texture both look lovely with the air drying.

Debra83
March 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I DEFINITELY could not think of anything else - I just HAD to go and check!!! Good thing I have an understanding boss!!!!

atlantaz3
March 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I have to have the bathroom light on for the outlet to work. I am fanatical about turning off lights when I leave a room. I used to use hot rollers several times a week, plug them in, in the bathroom, leave turn off the light. Smack self in head go back and tun on light! So I'm fairly certain I'm covered for not leaving appliances on!

Princess Kitti
March 8th, 2010, 03:58 AM

I do this too!!! If I don't hear myself say it, I'll spend all day freaking out too wondering if I've turned off the iron, stove, heater, etc. And if someone is with me, I tell them I have turned off such and such or locked such and such in case I forget so they can remind me ;)