PDA

View Full Version : Breakage advice

themostsilly
May 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
First I would like to say since joining this community I have learned so many wonderful ways to improve the condition of my hair.
I have made some improvments after reading many posts/suggestions here:
-I dilute my shampoo
-I reduced using products w/ cones
-I overnight oil about once a week, including my scalp
-I use a SMT about every two weeks
-I CWC pretty often
-I use a mix of jojoba oil and AVG as my leave in
-I use a 10:1 ACV rinse w/ couple drops rosemary eo
-I wear my hair up as often as possible
-I do deep/overnight conditioners often

Needless to say I have seen an improvement in the condition of my hair, over all more shiney, and less limp feeling. That is not to say I still don't have bad hair days...but I think thats just life.
I have seen some growth of my baby hairs close to my scalp, I have not measured the length, I think it has grown some as well.
Although I still have a problem with breakage. My hair to me never looks truley smooth b/c I have hairs that stick out b/c they are different lengths from breaking off or splitting up the shaft. I have always gotten trims on a very regular basis, and this has always plagued me. Is there anything I can do? I think it may be b/c my hair is so thin, that it just gets broken very easily, I just which I could achieve a smoother more healthy appearance. It is worse on the sides, around my face, and this also causes this area to get poofey looking, this maybe b/c it is shorter in this area, and I touch it more.
Is there anything I can add to my regime to help reduce breakage?

tiny_teesha
May 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
because your hiar is FINE it will be more prone to breakage, but looking at your avatar, you look to be at least a ii!!!
Have you got previous hair dye damage, or do you use heat styling tools? They cause damage. Using a brush/comb with seams also damages. Try doing an S&D where you seek out splits and chop them before they cause more damage.

You can use aloe vera gel (Fruit of the Earth is good) to use as a hair gell to smooth out the fly aways, or even oil after a wash with EVOO or coconut oil.
HTH

themostsilly
May 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Well to me my hair is pretty limp, also when I first joined I was a little unsure on the hair typing so I just put the i. I use to dye my hair monthly with demi-permanent dye for a few years up untill last november. I do not brush my hair, and the comb I use is seamless. My hair is somewhat dry on the ends but that seems to be improving slightly. I have been using AVG and jojoba oil as my leave in when hair is damp, but I avoid the olive oil and coconut oil for daily use b/c they seem to be too heavy for my fine hair. Usually when I see a split end I will cut it off, if I am near shears. Am I just destined to have breakage no matter what I do, or is there any treatments/techniques I can do to halt the breakage dramatically? I just see so many pictures of beautiful hair on here, that is so smooth, it shines like a mirror, I feel it is hopeless for me to ever acheive that.

here is a recent pic of my hair
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/avixxie/April2008007.jpg

Flaxen
May 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Are you sure it's breakage? If the ends are tapered, the hairs are just new hairs that are at all different lengths. Everyone's hair is like that, but the shorter hairs show more on some heads of hair. Also, many people, myself included, have a lot of hairs around their face that have a very short terminal length.

Your routine sounds really good. If there truly is breakage, you could try sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase. Another tip, from nicolezoie, is to detangle starting at the back of your head and move forward, rather than start at the front edge and move back.

aisling
May 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM
What Flaxen said, it's probable that at least some of those shorter hair are hairs that are growing, we always have hair in different stages of growing all over our heads.

Also, old damage isn't negated in a month or two, these things take time.

Meli
May 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Perhaps try a different washing routine? There are lots of different methods - perhaps a routine with less or no shampoo might suit your hair better.

I have also had a lot of breakage, and when I found LHC and learned about good haircare, I made a lot of changes to reduce mechanical damage. This reduced my amount of random breakage, but it didn't quit completely until about a month later - after I completely ditched not only 'cones, but also sulfates. Now I am on mostly WO, and I have no breakage at all (except for at the very ends - old, damaged cuticles which are extra prone to breakage/splits). To know how much random breakage I have at any given time, I check my shed hairs - naturally shed hairs have a small, white bulb at the root. Broken hairs don't have that bulb.

Delila
May 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Have you given finger combing a try??

Some time back, another LHC'er mentioned that they'd had good results reducing breakage from only finger combing their hair when it was DRY, never when damp.

I've always finger combed my hair wet or dry, not paying much attention, but lately I've switched up my routine to reduce the amount of handling I give my hair when it's wet. Time will tell if it makes a difference for me, but I thought I'd mention it, in case the idea is useful for you.

Another thought entirely is that of wave type/pattern. My hair's a LOT more wavy than I'd ever have imagined back when I blew it dry. I don't have much natural body, but my hair is wavy, so shorter strands do tend to curl.

One thing that helps me is to get my hands damp and run them over my canopy as my hair's drying, just to smooth down the wayward strands. After that , I leave it alone until it's dry. Seems to help, in a cosmetic sense, at least in the short term.

FWIW, my hair goes from sleek to oily in about two seconds, LOL!

Nightshade
May 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Dammit, I had some great breakage tips on the old LHC and I can't find them now :(

themostsilly
May 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
I'm a little scared to try a different washing routine, since my hair is so fine, it gets oily quickly and then just looks terrible. I have started washing less often and just wearing my hair up when it is dirty, so I go at least a day in between most shampoos, whereas I use to wash every day religiously. I am wanting to try a sulfate free shampoo, I have used Jason's Biotin shampoo, which I really liked, and I've tried a sample of Giovanni's Tea Tree one, both were okay but left my hair feeling like it needed more conditioner, even though I only shampoo the scalp. Also I have for a very long time always finger combed my hair first before using a comb when its wet. Although I have noticed that if I do not use my wide tooth comb on the top while it is still damp, my hair dries more flat agianst my scalp, so I always use a wide tooth comb.
I know it will take awhile, but I was just wondering what I could do to help it along. I have almost completely eliminated using heat tools, only on special ocassions, and thats only if I can't get it to look right with out it.
I have noticed my hair is more wavy now, I have some really curly short ones in random places, its funny cause I always thought my hair was straight.
I realize some of the short hair are just new and shorter, its the ones that are closer to the ends, that are shorter, and stick out, they have a more rough appearance at the end, and not matter what I do, can't seem to make them look smooth.
I am sure over time the changes I am making now, will reduce some of the breakage since mY hair is getting treated alot better than ever, but I was just wondering if there was any techniques that had worked for some of you. Thanks for all your help.

Nightshade
May 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Well, if you did use more heat and such in the past, it may just be the old damage catching up with you. I still have breakage on my ends, but that's because of what I did to my hair before, not because of what I'm doing to it now :)

missy60
May 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
I hate to mention this but how long have you went without a trim? Sometimes just a small dusting can help your hair alot if the problem is your ends. I think if you are growing out damaged hair they are vital to the health of your hair. I had severly damaged hair and I could tell when I had to get a trim but now that my hair is improving I can stretch them out. June will make me six month since I had a real trim and thats really saying something for me. When my ends get bad looking I soak the ends in water and slather on oil and then wring the water out.

I see the smooth as glass hair on here also and it is just so beautiful, but my hair will never look like that. I have a different hair type its just something I will have to live with. Your hair looks great in the picture just keep up what your doing it just takes time to improve.

heidi w.
May 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
All hair is never one length, it just has an appearance of that.

Hair is in a continual process of regrowth/replacement, shedding, resting. Every hair follicle is on its own timeline, and in this way you don't go bald when shedding.

Those little halo hairs on top of the head. New growth. Eventually new growth gets longer and lies down, but the end may still be shorter and stick out from the bulk of the hair.

All is well.

Unless you specifically notice damage on a strand's tip, or a split there or along the length somewhere on the strand, then everything is fine.

This is a new experience when going long and coming from a history of always trimmed hair that's shorter. There's this perception that hair should be smooth and all that. It's just not so, unless you use something to smooth it. In photographs, many people's hair appears smooth, but if you walk up to that hair in person, you'll see this and that. And some of that appearance of smoothness is dependent upon hair type.

heidi w.

themostsilly
May 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I trimmed the ends of my hair recently, so that is fine. I am sure it will get better with time, I will just try to hang in there. Can anyone with fine hair suggest a natural, or sulfate free shampoo that has worked well. Also is there a list anywhere of protein-free products or a list of what ingredients to avoid in products?
I am about to attempt to henna my hair using the rainbow henna mix, hopefully all goes well.

Flaxen
May 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
I like Earthly Delight shampoo, available at Whole Foods or willner.com.