PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky hairdresser strategy

chopandchange
March 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
I do not mean to cause offence to any hairdressers who may read this. I am sure there must be some of you in the profession who are honest, professional, and obedient and respectful of their clients' wishes. It's just I've never had the pleasure of meeting those ones myself.

Has anyone else ever experienced the following scenario at the hairdressing salon? I don't go to hairdressers any more, but when I did, I would always do the speech that goes like this: "YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY SWEAR YOU WILL NOT CUT OFF MORE THAN THIS. I MEAN IT!" And I'd be really nervous and they would roll their eyes and I could see them thinking to themselves I was a crazy person, and they'd humour me and promise in a soothing voice they would only cut off a little, whilst having that smug air about them of "I know best, and I'm going to cut off however much I want to." So I would watch the bits falling off on the floor, and say in a panicked voice: "How long are those bits? See? You're cutting off too much!" and they would pick up the bits and put them into my lap so I could examine the length being cut off and this was supposed to reassure me.

But I swear those sneaky hairdressers (one guy in particular) would cut bits off and then go back and re-trim the SAME SECTIONS AGAIN just so all the sections falling on the floor would be small, and there would be no evidence that they had cut off more than I had asked because the strands on the floor would be so short. But I'm no fool. I would look in the mirror and see clearly that they'd cut off loads (could also tell by the feel) but they had done it so sneakily, by trimming and then re-trimming, that there was no proof. There is no other explanation, because the bits falling on the floor were short, but the difference in length of my hair was huge.

Has anyone else ever had this done to them? (and if you haven't, beware)!

spidermom
March 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Never. In my experience, most hair stylists want your return business and will do what you ask to the best of their ability. Now I have run across a few who didn't have a lot of ability and might trim unevenly so that it's a little from this side and a little from that side, but oh dear - too much from that side, so it's back for a little from the first side, and so forth - until your hair is way shorter than anybody intended.

chopandchange
March 3rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I see what you mean, but I really don't think that what was going on in this case, Spidormom. The guy was really, really good at his job. He was very much in demand and was technically marvellous at cutting hair. He took so long over doing even the simplest things because he was an incredible perfectionist. But he just had that annoying attitude that some hairdressers have, of "I KNOW BEST."

I prefer the ones who listen carefully to what you're saying, tell you they disagree and think you should have more cut off, advise you to re-consider based on what they are telling you, but then go ahead and do the tiny trim under protest if that's what you ask for, because they realise they are supposed to be carrying out what YOU instruct them to.

The ones I don't like are the ones who pretend they are going to do all the above, and then don't. And then, in this guy's case...pretend they DID!

deviantkitten
March 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
THIS is why i know cut my hair myself, or have my mother or husband cut my hair lol. i go in and say, oh, i just want an inch trimmed. then they go into their "oh, but your hair would look so much better if i cut 5 inches off", or"oh, but you would look so fab in a bob", or whatever. i would sit there in the chair, and say absolutely not, i want an inch trimmed, and that is it! well, then the hair would fall and boom, there go 3 inches! lol
so frustrating!
so, when my husband was home and not deployed (he is now), i would have him trim me. or when i go home to california, i would have my mother cut my hair.
i have just found a great way to trim my hair myself now, so when i absolutely need it, i do a little dusting

spidermom
March 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I hear these stories all the time, but very honestly it has never happened to me.

Ravenne
March 3rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
I can't say I've ever experienced this particular scenario. I did have one guy that apparently wasn't used to cutting bangs. I ended up with bangs that were at least half an inch varied in length between the two sides. And it was supposed to be a blunt bangs cut. :nono: He did the back and forth thing too. Headbands were my best friend for a while. I haven't been back to a salon since and I certainly won't be going back to that one. But I've never had (or at least noticed. I'm rather unobservant :o) the superior smugness that you've described. And I'm sorry you did. :(

natorade
March 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I don't have to worry about sneaky hair dressers anymore, I always take my guard dog with me....my mom hehe...She watches them with a fine tooth comb and she is not afraid to get up and walk around my chair checking each side that is being cut and she will voice her concerns in a heart beat. Luckily though I have found a stylist that knows what a dusting to a 1/4 inch trim means.

hannagrrl
March 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
I've had so many poor haircuts... I dread ever going back to a stylist. That's probably a big reason I decided to grow my hair out in the first place!
If S&D's suddenly seem like they're not enough, I'll do a dusting on my ends. Then, if I absolutely have to, I'll see a stylist. But even then I'll just expect it to be shorter than I'd hoped and anticipate it growing out a bit before I actually like it!!

lunagoose
March 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Every time I visit a hair salon, they are really eager to cut off huge chunks of my hair with the excuse that it's "dead" and damaged, that you "can't do anything with such long hair, it just hangs limply" and that I will look better with short haircut. I am not quite sure why they are so obsessed with cutting long hair into shorter, generic styles-maybe to justify the amount they charge? and prove that they deserve a generous tip for working so hard. They managed to convince me to cut my waist length to my shoulders a few times in the past few years but it is of course my fault for not being confident and firm. I haven't been to a salon for a year now and trim my hair by myself.

contradiction
March 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
But I swear those sneaky hairdressers (one guy in particular) would cut bits off and then go back and re-trim the SAME SECTIONS AGAIN just so all the sections falling on the floor would be small, and there would be no evidence that they had cut off more than I had asked because the strands on the floor would be so short. But I'm no fool. I would look in the mirror and see clearly that they'd cut off loads (could also tell by the feel) but they had done it so sneakily, by trimming and then re-trimming, that there was no proof. There is no other explanation, because the bits falling on the floor were short, but the difference in length of my hair was huge.

They may possibly be re-trimming the same sections to get rid of split ends, even things up in the back, or because they feel it's more flattering. I really don't think they are trying to be sneaky and go against your wishes. It also depends what you ask for and the stylist's personal technique. It sounds like you need to find a hairdresser who might be a better listener, or possibly learn to trim your own hair. Hairdressers are trained to cut hair, it's what they do. Hairdressers don't go into the profession so they can have a fascist rule over people's scalps.

sweet*things
March 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
YES, I have had this happen to me.:disgust:

ETA: I would understand, sort of, if they consulted with their paying client over damage issues before cutting additional length. However, magically turning an emphatically "no more than 2 inches" trim into a 6-8" cut is offensive, especially when it is done in such a way that it won't be noticed until it is too late to stop.

Lamb
March 3rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hairdressers are not out to get you. I promise. ;) There is no such thing as Stylists' Freemasonry of the Shears, conspiring against long hair.
If a client came into my shop, sat down in the chair, then started to give instructions which just screamed "I don't trust you", I'd roll my eyes too.

Be very aware that for a lot of hairdressers, it is easier to cut off 0.5-1 inch than do a dusting, and do it well, evenly, neatly. That's why the guy kept going back to take a bit more off. When you do a dusting, you probably don't sacrifice an iota of length for an even hemline - but that's not how he was trained!

Yeah, sometimes stylists' screw up. My hair has been massacred on quite a few occasions. Almost always because of miscommunication. Going in for a consultation before the cut is always useful - if a stylist has a primadonna attitude, you can spot that right away and not go back.

Tip: barbers' shops and cheap places are actually better choices than high-end salons. There is less motivation to cut more (=work more) when there is less money in it.

Bonkers57
March 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Same with me. I've had only a couple of bad haircuts, but they were due to lack of skill on the stylist's part. It makes sense that if they want your return business, they'll do as you ask :shrug:

But I guess there are some weird ones out there even so...

Never. In my experience, most hair stylists want your return business and will do what you ask to the best of their ability. Now I have run across a few who didn't have a lot of ability and might trim unevenly so that it's a little from this side and a little from that side, but oh dear - too much from that side, so it's back for a little from the first side, and so forth - until your hair is way shorter than anybody intended.

MandyBeth
March 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Until I gave up on stylists - no matter what, they would taken a thinning razor or shears and massacre my hair. No, do NOT thin my hair. It doesn't help, and then it justs looks like crap in a week because the layers split.

The barber is my friend now. I wandered around till I found the one with the slightly older clients sitting having a manly gossip session. I asked for 1/4" off, I got 1/4" off - nearly exactly, to the point I could (can) measure before at 14.5 and come out and measure at 14.25 for example. If anything, they aren't going to cut off ENOUGH.

Plus, really, being a henna redhead now - I go in and hear all the lovely stories from the men about all their lifes adventures and how a little redheaded girl reminds them of a story.

coscass
March 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sounds like beauty school all over again. My instructor would cut my hair, and decide, "hmm, you need two inches off. Oh, you also need layers." without even telling me.

Carolyn
March 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Yes I have something similar happen. I'd gone to this woman once before and she did good high lights and a mini trim. The second time I went back it all went to hell. I guess she thought she had my business since I'd returned. At my second appointment I explained I wanted 1" off the bottom layer in back and 1/4" off the upper layers and NOTHING off my bangs because I was growing them out. She cut a lot more than 1" off the back, relayered my whole head and cut my bangs again! When she pulled the bangs up to cut them I gasped and kind of shrieked but she was too quick. A good 2" came off my bangs. I said but I'm going out. She called it a needed reshaping. Reshaping my ass! :( She didn't act like she did anything wrong. It wasn't until I got home, that I figured out just how bad the cut was. This was at Regis in Sioux City in case anyone is interested and her name was Patty. It was over 10 years ago so I doubt she's anywhere around.

Not too long after that happened I was talking hair with a friend of my son. Her hair was long and blonde too. The exact same thing happened to her with the same stylist. And it also happened to a college friend of hers. Another blonde with long hair. Same salon and same stylist. My personal opinion is the stylist had something against long blonde hair and was out to rid the world of it. BTW her hair was super short, spiked and dyed a strange red. So yeah, these things do happen.

justgreen
March 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Carolyn, that's exactly what my stylist said on Monday. If you don't want too much cut off, don't go to a stylist with short hair! Bwahahahahaha...ok, I'll crawl back to my tent now.

christine1989
March 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I have never had that happen (thank goodness!) but I know that it happens to many. I have only had one hairdresser in my life. Yep, the same guy has cut my hair since I was three! Much of the time hairdressers need to re trim a bit just to even it up. I think they do take off the amount you say but the re trimming shortens it up a bit more and there is also the factor of "shrinkage"- not the way they use it on Seinfeld but the way hair shrinks up and looks shorter when dry (especially with wavy/curly hair).

Leena7
March 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I am so happy that I have a lovely hairdresser

GoddesJourney
March 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
I've had exactly this happen. Honestly, I can tell from the very beginning if a person is going to be good or not. You can see when they obviously care. I like those people. Some people though? Arrogant.

Carolyn
March 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Carolyn, that's exactly what my stylist said on Monday. If you don't want too much cut off, don't go to a stylist with short hair! Bwahahahahaha...ok, I'll crawl back to my tent now.I should have known when I saw her hair :( I'd gone to a different stylist at the same salon who was recommended by a long haired friend. She did great. I went to her twice with good results. The 3rd time I had an appointment with her, she had some kind of an emergency and I was given over to the Patty person. She did OK the first time but the second time she showed her true colors. I was leery when I saw her hair. But all this was pre-LHC and pre-LHL. I really didn't know what to be wary of.

tralalalara
March 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
I've cut my own hair for five years, so if I ever go to a salon to get my hair cut, it will be to get all of my hair chopped off anyway. But if they start doing things that I don't like, I'll stand up and threaten to walk out without paying.

be Bold, women!

Cirafly24
March 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have had this happen so many times! I go in, say very specifically that I only want 1/4" taken off. Without fail, I leave with at least 2" gone. I came across the "I know what's best for you" attitude very often.

A few years ago, I finally found a stylist that was willing to do exactly what I wanted. If I only wanted 1/4" inch trimmed, that's what I got. If I wanted an actual style, she would have me bring in photos of similar styles so we could work out exactly what she'd be doing, and then she'd demonstrate how much she would cut and make sure I approved. I loved her!

Last year, I moved to another state, and I was so sad I had to leave her. I still haven't found a stylist here. I think I'll just S&D or trim my own hair.

Darkhorse1
March 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
In truth, a good hair dresser listens to their client. I've had some issues with what an inch vs two inches is, but in the end, my hair looked even and healthy and I wasn't trying to grow it longer at that point.

But yes, as a child, I had a traumatic experience and the thing is, a hair dresser feels they have to 'show' something for what you pay for, so they probably figure you are paying to see a change.

If you get a bad feeling about someone, just see someone else. any hair dresser I've seen, we confirm what an inch is to them vs a quarter of an inch, and they are really nice about it. In fact, all the hair dressers i've been to love my hair and encourage me to keep it long.

TXbarbie
March 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
I've never had this problem... and I hope I never do! The only time I was ever upset after a cut was when I had completely destroyed my hair by straightening, highlighting, blow drying, etc. forever, and my stylist recommended a 6 in cut. She even held up all the hair and goes "This is a LOT of hair, is that okay?" Of course I was a freshman, so I guess I didn't really think about how much that was, and accepted her proposal. Probably the best decision but it was traumatizing to lose all that length at once haha

crabpixie
March 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
Oh yes!

I once had beautiful, long golden brown hair down to my waist... I had just moved to Florida and had decided to visit a very modern beautiful salon which caught my eye in passing for a light trim.

They offered to squeeze me in for an appointment there and then.

Ushered in with smiles, offered a drink and seated on their squeeky leather chair I was confident this would be a good 'cut'

I was introduced to my stylist, a very stylish attractive Jennifer Anniston-esque blonde.

I explained to her that I only wanted a light trim as I have been growing my hair for many years and didn't want to lose the length.

She began nodded in agreement and assured me she would just tidy up my layers slightly and keep the length.

I relaxed into the chair and engrossed myself in a glossy magazine whilst drinking a delicious dark Italian coffee.

Everything seemed well, I left her to cut away for the next ten minutes without a second glance in the mirror...

All of a sudden a very long snipped piece of hair landed in my coffee.. It was at least 6 inches long! My eyes widened in horror and I met her eyes in the mirror.

She smiled sweetly and said "It was very damaged, but don't worry it will all blend in when I'm finished"

By now I could feel my armpits sting and a feeling of panic waived over me.. and rightly so.

After my hair was blow dried I was horrified to see she had removed at least 7 inches of my length, and the layers were now 'mullet' styled spikey bits at the top of my head.

To make matters worse she hat trimmed my fringe (bangs) so short I looked like spock from star treck!!

As I was in a state of shock, I paid with trembling and fled quickly bursting in to tears.. I haven't been to hairdressers since!

My hair has mostly grown out now thankfully to almost the same length, I trim it myself. :)

IcarusBride
March 3rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
I had a friend who went to beauty school (and therefore, although she never graduated or got licensed, thinks she is the final authority on hair related matters) bleach my hair a few years ago. When it turned out neon, highlighter-yellow, she blamed ME for not telling her that I had used dye on it before in my life. As if she hadn't been aware of this fact, considering we'd known each other for 8 years. I wasn't the first or last person to have this experience, either. . . Well, it WAS my fault for putting my hair in the hands of an amateur.
Now the ONLY person allowed to cut my hair is my MOM. Haha, I don't even trust myself to cut it.

Felix_D
March 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
The woman who's been doing my hair for the last... oh... 10 years is a terrible listener. Maybe it's just in my best interests, I tend to fall in love with hairstyles that my fine, thin hair just can't handle.

Leave it long in the back --> cut it whatever length you want. Dye it darker so the highlights grow out --> oh no look the dye didn't take you're still blonde!

Could be worse, I guess. I got a mall-cut once when I was in high school. The idiot snipped both my earlobes. On top of giving me such a horrendous cut I was mortified to walk back through the mall to my car.

thinks she is the final authority on hair related matters

I think this might be the problem. If someone tried to get me to do something at my job that I thought was a bad idea I'd probably ignore them too.

Though a woman's vanity is a terrible thing to toy with.

chopandchange
March 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
It sounds like you need to find a hairdresser who might be a better listener, or possibly learn to trim your own hair. .

Thank you for taking the time to reply and offer your advice. :)

I do actually trim my own hair now, and haven't been to a hairdresser for years. I was talking about my past experiences!

:eek: Crabpixie, what a terrible experience! I'm so sad for you. Glad your hair is growing back now.

GlassEyes
March 4th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Besides one case with my sister, most hairdressers have only cut off what I asked, and the incident with my sister was an accident.

Whether the cut turned out great or not was a little more varied, but I don't think they ever intended it to look bad. Cutting curly hair isn't something that people seem to focus on in typical hair styling school--my sister's school teaches them to straighten it before they cut it (which, luckily, she doesn't do to me).

charley27
March 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Thankfully, I have a great stylist who listens, shows, and tries to honor my wishes. She said that she had waist-length hair when she started beauty school. Her instructor asked her to come up to be the demo, and the instructor chopped her hair to around shoulder-length! :disbelief It was very traumatic to her, and it's made her a great listener, but she can't grow it back. Probably because she's always at the salon, straightening, coloring, and letting her colleagues try new things. :rolleyes:

Mutinous
March 4th, 2010, 12:29 PM
A conspiracy theory for hairdressers? I'm not buying it, at the end of the day, they know if they don't cut your hair how you like it you will (potentially) either never return again (and they will lose money), you will complain to the management (losing money again, and getting them into trouble at work) and/or use word of mouth to keep away potential custom.

I think sometimes they do cut off more than you ask for because they want you to look good, and in their mind they have a style or a cut they think would suit you. I'm not saying this is right at all, and they should only cut what you ask for, but its hardly malicious, it is just how they are trained.

And why on earth would they re-trim all of your hair just to get away with cutting off more? I'm failing to see what would entice them into doing this, a sadistic streak perhaps?

AgnesONutter
March 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
You know, reverse psychology seems to work great to ensure that you get what you want. You see, I usually give them permission to cut as much as they need to get the worst damage out of my hair just sitting down. They make the suggestion for how much would be appropriate. Since I've specified I just want to cut out the damage, this is usually no more than two inches. In fact...I usually have the problem that hairdressers are reluctant to cut my hair at all.

When I gave one hairdresser free hands to do whatever with my hair she looked at it, then decided to cut gentle layers and perm it, no big chop.

Then, another hairdresser after her just took the last of the curl out, then was happy. She barely wanted to do that!

The latest one I was at was a barbershop kind of hairdresser. Took three inches of, so got a good much needed cut, but used a cheap, plastic comb, just raking it through my hair! I am never going to him ever again. If he had known how to handle hair, I think he would have been my once every year/half year choice because he was so happy to just cut straight, no fuss tips. No fancy ideas of haircuts, just the basics and nothing more.

Which boils down to: I wish there were real barbershops still around my neck of the woods, where they do just that, cut hair and don't try to make it into art.

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I believe it was enfys who said, never go to a hairdresser without a ruler and a witness!! I even made that my sig quote for awhile. :D

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with hairdressers. We need a new smiley, like :thudpile: but a pile of people with bad salon visits.

And honestly? There are people like that in every profession, from stylists, to clerks, to policemen. Every profession has its know-it-alls, and they can be hard to deal with. But just remind yourself that you know best, and if there's a split second that you're unsure of what's about to happen in that salon chair, GET UP AND LEAVE. You should never feel pressured to make a change you do not want just because someone gives you attitude. :flower:

girloctopus
March 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I've run into hairdressers who overestimate how much length they are cutting off quite a bit. I guess they measure using their comb, but I remember when I cut my hair to donate seven or eight years ago and they were concerned that they weren't going to have the ten inches necessary. After the chop, the resulting ponytail was 13 inches long. Lesson learned: combs make poor rulers. I've seen combs sold that have ruler marking along the side, and I think more people should invest!

Teacherbear
March 5th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Perhaps this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=175) will help you get the cut you want.

Amber Joy
March 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've had that happen to me before. I went in to get a trim, I specified that i wanted no more than 2 inches cut off. I ended up losing 6 inches and the stylist added layers to my hair. I actually cried.

Now, my husband trims my hair for me. He's emotionally invested in my hair, so i know he wouldn't take too much off.

Sissy
March 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I haven't ever experienced that, thankfully. However, I haven't been to a hairdresser in years.

Dragon
September 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I havent had that happen to me. They just seem to go for the big chop.

Unofficial_Rose
September 27th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I have requested 'just a trim, please, because I'm growing it' and been given much-too-short, multi-layered cut that looked awful after 6 weeks and had to be cut into a bob, so as not to look like a mullet.

Actually, this has happened to me several times. I'm now too scared to go for a prof. haircut. :run:

Back_To_Basics
September 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've heard stories like this as well. My stylist, he is my 3rd or 4th cousin he is the best..really I trust him with my hair.
I hate when stylists out there do stuff like that. It's not right.
I also feel if people do things on purpose like this..there is a price for such actions. I don't like to wish bad things on people(and I don't) but when they are wronging people in bad ways it will come back some way or the other.
I know that doesn't make good for someone whos hair has been ruined because of someones bad ways.
I truly know how you feel though. I know it will grow back but it is the whole point of respecting what you want from your stylist. I guess the best thing to do is take another person along that you can trust will say something if they are getting
hair hungry.

pepperminttea
September 27th, 2010, 08:46 AM
When I got someone else to cut my hair, although the family friend I went to most of the time would always ask me first, for the short time when I explored local salons... they never asked me, never listened, and always cut off what they thought best - and yes, I'm pretty sure this technique was one they used.

Thank goodness for self-trimming! :)

UltraBella
September 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
You can't judge a stylist by their own hair length. Actions, mannerisms, attitude, absolutely. Length of hair, no way. The short haired stylist you are trying to avoid may have just cut her hair short after ten years of having it classic length and knows absolutely the struggles of long hair.

To the OP, I am just curious why you started this thread complaining about hairdressers when you have not been to one in years ?? I totally understand when I see threads by people who have just returned from a bad experience and need to vent. I have been butchered by an inexperienced stylist in the past too. But why post it now, unless it is to just stir up others and keep the "hair dressers are evil" vibe going strong ? Seems purposefully negative and I am just not into that.

MonikaHa
September 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I've had my share of bad haircuts, but somehow I do not believe hairdressers are out there just waiting to maliciously chop peoples' hair off, and make them miserable.

LaurelSpring
September 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM
My last hairdresser was really pretty good about taking only what I wanted for the most part, however, she wasnt thrilled about it and was not supportive of my henna or other natural haircare alternatives.

Before that, I had the problem with them taking too much. For years I was trying to grow my hair and going to the salon about every 3 months because I thought I should and got nowhere because they cut all the growth off. I didnt make any real growth progress until I stopped going to the salon and started doing it myself.

Presto
September 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I cannot say what her motivations are, but my SIL is a hair stylist, and has bragged about doing this to family and friends. She says it's to get rid of damage, but she giggles while telling the story about it.
She got to trim my hair twice, and I've spent a long time growing out a weird inverted V shape in my hemline since then... It was longer on the sides. I don't know if she did it or it grew that way, but after hearing her story of cutting twice so it only looked like a one inch trim on the floor but was really two inches or more, she doesn't get to do my hair.

jeanniet
September 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I've never had a problem, but I've always been very specific if I only wanted a small trim. If I didn't mind how much came off, I'd just give a range. All the stylists I've been to have been pretty good about the limits I set. My problem (and why I'm doing my own trims) is more that my hair is thick, tangles easily, and needs very gentle, slow combing. That never seems to happen, and I just can't take listening to hairs snapping anymore. So I do it myself. :) UltraBella, you need to come out here and I would be happy to have you give me a trim!

swivelhop
September 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I've haven't had a 'bad hair stylist' experience since I was 18. Before then... well who knows what my parents said to do. I think going in for a CONSULT to talk and feel out if you and the stylist are a good match is the key. If you just make an appointment for a cut you are really going on a blind date with no chaperon.

Lady Mary
September 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM
While I realize that the great majority of hair dressers are not malicious, it's one of the many reasons I have been cutting my own hair for many years :o

EvaSimone
September 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I've never had this problem. In fact I have always had good experiences with hair dressers. The few times that I received a cut I didn't like I didn't communicate clearly my wants.

angelfell
September 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I can cut my own bangs, but for everything else.. well, I don't even try :p. I have never been particularly unhappy with the way a stylist has done anything to my hair, because I normally get the same thing done every time. And I've been going to the same place. The only time I've ever been angry is when a stylist lied about how my perm would look, and it fried my hair and looked nothing like it. Never again.

But I've never had a problem with them cutting more off against my wishes. Usually, I say a trim, and they put how much between their fingers, I say OK, and I watch as they cut what I've told them too. I'm sorry about that experience, that would really make me mad!

Alvrodul
September 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I have only had one really bad experience with a hairdresser - and that was because she was incompetent, not malicious (or "knows better"). The hack job I got then would make even the most hard-hearted cry - it took almost half a year to get rid of the damage, since I did not want a pixie. I suspect I would have been better off with a pixie then. :(
Otherwise - I suspect I come across as someone who knows her own mind and takes no nonsense. A bit more than I have indicated I wanted may have been cut from time to time, but we are talking about the one-centimeter error range here, not five or ten.

Kome
September 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah... I just cut mine myself now, even if it's a bit uneven. I do plan to even it out once it gets past waist though, but right now I'm okay with it. And honestly, you really can't tell. Better to do it myself then have to worry about the hairdresser cutting off too much. Last time I told her not to trim it at all because I'd just trimmed the day before and only went in to get layers cut in. She cut off 6 inches from the bottom. *sigh*

Merewen
September 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM
To the OP, I am just curious why you started this thread complaining about hairdressers when you have not been to one in years ?? I totally understand when I see threads by people who have just returned from a bad experience and need to vent. I have been butchered by an inexperienced stylist in the past too. But why post it now, unless it is to just stir up others and keep the "hair dressers are evil" vibe going strong ? Seems purposefully negative and I am just not into that.

I'm with UltraBella on this one. I don't quite understand why this thread was started. There are several threads out there that already discuss this.

I self-trim and S&D right now, but someday when my hair is longer, I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to get my layers fixed up, and I'll be going to a stylist for that. I don't expect to have trouble with this. In fact, my layers, which I adored, were the suggestion of a hair stylist.

Yes, it is good to take steps to make sure you get what you want, but do we really have to cast hair stylists as evil beings out to destroy our hair? There are many hairstylists hanging around LHC. I don't think any of them are out to get us. What does it say when one of feels the need to put "I promise we are not all evil" in her signature?

Come on, LHC. We are better than this.

julliams
September 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I think I experienced this earlier this year but my hair was V shape, so in order to cut my hair in a U shape and take off an inch, I lost 2 inches at the bottom of the V. I wonder if this is the case for some people? Hope this makes sense.

I think here in Australia if you use "inch" most people think it's bigger than it is because we are metric and many people can't visualise something they don't use all the time. I've had hairdressers show me an "inch" and it's more like 3 inches and I have to say, no, it's only 2.4cm. I think if you only want very small increments off your hair, you are better off self trimming if possible.

d1angel
September 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I've known a few hairdressers like that - one was a friend of mine, and she sat me down in her chair, I told her what I wanted, and she basically said, "Well, I'm going to cut it the way I want to anyway."

Grr.

She's the only self-righteous one I've known, the others are fine, but just don't get it. I have always had a hard time getting cuts I like.

I think I'm just going to wear it up for a while and let it grow.

Carena
August 5th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore. I wanted to cut off no more than 3 inches...she cut off 12 inches...my husband says they're probably going to sell my hair. I'm starting to think he maybe right.