PDA

View Full Version : Balm, An Article in The Washington Post Magazine

Madame J
March 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
I found this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/22/AR2010012203259.html) article on the Washington Post's website today (it was published a month ago), and found it very sweet and hair-related. It reminded me of all the wonderful mothers we have posting on here to get help for their daughters' hair and of the only good times I remember spending with my dad -- when he would brush out my long hair as a child, since he was gentler with it than my mom or grandmother.

Hana
March 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
my dad was much gentler too! but then, he has always had short hair, maybe it was something to do with that. or that fact I was still in single figures. i'll always remember me about 7/8 years old, standing on the chaise longue in my parents bedroom, just had my hair washed, and my dad gently blow drying my hair and brushing at the same time, he didnt want me going to bed with wet hair! hahaha.

its a lovely article, thank you for sharing.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
I enjoyed the article - so sweet. I was the mom who knew how to do things with hair among a few of my daughter's friends. Some still ask for a braid from time to time, especially my daughter. Times to treasure.

Sissy
March 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
neat, thanks for sharing!

catysue
March 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
That was a very sweet article!

I remember when I was younger my mom would spend FOR.EVER curling my hair for special occasions, only to have it deflate and straighten the moment I stepped outside.

walterSCAN
March 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
I found this (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/22/AR2010012203259.html) article on the Washington Post's website today (it was published a month ago), and found it very sweet and hair-related. It reminded me of all the wonderful mothers we have posting on here to get help for their daughters' hair and of the only good times I remember spending with my dad -- when he would brush out my long hair as a child, since he was gentler with it than my mom or grandmother.

my dad was much gentler too! but then, he has always had short hair, maybe it was something to do with that. or that fact I was still in single figures. i'll always remember me about 7/8 years old, standing on the chaise longue in my parents bedroom, just had my hair washed, and my dad gently blow drying my hair and brushing at the same time, he didnt want me going to bed with wet hair! hahaha.

its a lovely article, thank you for sharing.

Yeah, my dad was much gentler too... He has a lot more patience than my mom, who would just yank the comb through and tell me to quit whining about it hurting.... :eyeroll: My dad's the one who taught me to hold on to the top parts of my hair if there's a tangle so it doesn't pull on my scalp.

Twil
March 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
My dad was always the better hair stylist too, mainly because he was so patient. My mother never had time to detangle, she'd rip the comb through a few times, then brush it flat and confine it in a huge scrunchie cause regular rubberbands didn't work.

My dad would braid my hair, and I still remember those days, though he rarely could do it. He has arthritis now though, and can no longer do that, but I do his hair now.

Madame J
March 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Honestly, I don't think my dad was any better at brushing; he just didn't need to do it as often, so when he did, he took his time. I also think he was a lot more afraid of hurting me. My mom had to brush our hair every day (until I was old enough to take care of it myself, around 5 or 6), and it probably got tedious to be expected to do all the cooking, cleaning, and brushing of little girls' hair. My younger sister had short hair earlier than I did.