PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to S&D

bigeyedgirl829
March 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Anyone else keep scissors in arms length away just in case you find a nasty split end? I swear I do it at least once a day, from anywhere to one split or to a couple hours worth. My damage doesn't seem to be diminishing. I oil every day at the ends with Jojoba and and ever other day with Coconut oil. Washing with CV soap bar every 3-4 days followed with a ACV rinse. I still get major splits. Any remedies out there? I've done Catnip tea rinses... but stopped when I found out I was expecting a lil' one. Any other magical cure out there my other long haired loving sisters?

Ma'am
March 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
I used to carry folding scissors with me, so I could snip any splits I happened to see. :P

ETA: Congratulations on the bunchkin!!!!

jera
March 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I do keep scissors nearby now that I know I won't get frustrated and chop all of my hair off instead of S&D. :D

sibiryachka
March 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that S&D will just be a part of my daily routine from now on.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Whenever anybody asks, I always tell them to avoid ever starting S&D because it is very addicting. I used to keep scissors handy "just in case", but since they were always within reach, I was always S&Ding. The more of it I did, the worse I felt about my hair. Now I keep the scissors in their cases and put away. It's much better this way for me.

IndigoAsh
March 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I keep the scissors in the car(passengers side) and do it when we drive to the grocery or whatever. Cuts down on my hair chopping, but is still enough to be effective.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I keep scissors in the car, too. If I'm the passenger during a long car trip, it's a good time to snip splits. I'm kind of a paranoid passenger, so it's good to keep my eyes and mind occupied with something else.

Razor
March 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well that was weird :p I just found a split after reading the thread :S
I Don't S&D but I will start if I start finding an increase in splits.
If I end up getting addicted then so be it haha !

bigeyedgirl829
March 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hehe I do it the car too. I request to be a passenger so I can utilize the sunlight and snip. Lol and I S&D right before I posted and after. I need to go a S&D addiction recovery meeting!:eyebrows:

IndigoAsh
March 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
while we're on the topic of split ends, My split ends are like mutant... it'll look super frayed and sometimes a little farther up the strand it'll have another split so I have to trim about an inch off some hairs. Any ideas? Maybe a break from too much tension on the strand? I oil and only use a paddle boar hair brush once a day to every other day(try to stick to finger combing). No heat, and I try to keep my hair braided or in a bun most of the time. I'm at a loss and pretty frustrated.

GoddesJourney
March 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
So uh, you know you're a longhair when you keep hair scissors next to the toilet so you can, uh, multitask... (come on now, raise your hands)

bigeyedgirl829
March 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Me too. I braid my hair every night. And usually bun it if out or leave it down when home. Have you checked to see that the scissors are sharp enough? I have to buy a new one every 3 months or so... because I swear I dull them with all the S&D. I have mutant ones too... Multiple splits on a strand, tree splits where it looks like the hair strand is branching out... like 6 last time I counted. Crazy splits. I wonder if it's genetic. Both sides of my family have really fine thin hair that everyone cuts because of the splits... i'm the only one still holding out for that beautiful long hair... but the splits are driving me bonkers!!!!!!!!!!!! :poot:

bigeyedgirl829
March 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
LOL I haven't brought scissors in the bathroom but I multi-task by finding them and trimming them when I'm done... you know... LOL this is making me embarrassed:poot:. LOL

GoddesJourney
March 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
while we're on the topic of split ends, My split ends are like mutant... it'll look super frayed and sometimes a little farther up the strand it'll have another split so I have to trim about an inch off some hairs. Any ideas? Maybe a break from too much tension on the strand? I oil and only use a paddle boar hair brush once a day to every other day(try to stick to finger combing). No heat, and I try to keep my hair braided or in a bun most of the time. I'm at a loss and pretty frustrated.

I have this same problem. I think it's just damaged hair from chlorine water for me. By the looks of it though, your hair type and ethnicity seem pretty similar to mine, so maybe it's just the kind of splits we get.

Magicknthenight
March 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM

Maybe its passed damage? Perhaps an over all tiny tiny trim would help. A lot of people say a small trim makes their hair feel so much better. The boar bristle brush didn't agree with my hair..maybe its too rough? (Though mine was cheap and plasticity)
If you stopped using cones maybe its showing anything thats hidden?
As for the s&d...i wish i could get more into it!:eye: When i start i begin on one side but i get bored half way in and want to stop so i just rush through it. >.> So i have to start from different sides. Plus my hair is usually up. I'm sure it would help though. My hair is usually heavily oiled from the neck down so its kinda hard to find them. I just wish i had the attention span:justy:. I used to do it all the time but its kinda died down recently. Of course that might have something to do with me wanting to get a small over all trim anyways...:toofers:

ETA: oh IndigoAsh it could also have something to do with whatever your using to hold your hair up..(hair-ties etc)

IndigoAsh
March 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
uff, maybe... all of my hair ties/bands are metal free and I use the tiny black hair rubber bands that are catch/tear free. I even unloop the ties instead of pulling them off. As for my forks I ease them in and make an effort not to jam them in my hair. Maybe my hair is just acting naturally. I had bleached the underside of my hair about 4 years ago so I know some of the splits are from that. Total loss. Maybe I'm consuming too much acids. I wonder ... all of us with split end issues how high is the acid in your diet? How much soda do you drink? I'm a medium soda drinker. Maybe if I cut the soda out... /me thinks

merryhair
March 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Ok, I haven't tried this yet..but I just noticed that I have a lot of splits!You, know just now, after reading this thread:o. So, here's my questions: when you cut your splits, how much do you take off? I mean, do you cut just above the split or a bit higher?? Thanks in Advance!:)

TXbarbie
March 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
I tried S&D'ing last week but since I have layers I was afraid that I would trim things unevenly. I'm still stuck depending on the hairdresser.

ArienEllariel
March 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
I probably do it anywhere from once a week to a couple times a week. Usually it's right after finding 2 or 3 splits and not having any scissors handy. hehe, but yes it is very addicting. I find that it keeps me from going insane if I'm "watching" a movie at the same time.

ArienEllariel
March 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Ok, I haven't tried this yet..but I just noticed that I have a lot of splits!You, know just now, after reading this thread:o. So, here's my questions: when you cut your splits, how much do you take off? I mean, do you cut just above the split or a bit higher?? Thanks in Advance!:)

I cut just a little above the split. HTH

IcarusBride
March 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I'm much too afraid of the addiction to ever start S&D. I'm a perfectionist, so it would really never end!

PS: Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

merryhair
March 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I cut just a little above the split. HTH Thank You!:) I'm off to get my scissors.:D

Anje
March 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I've got some mustache scissors in my purse, and hair scissors upstairs and down.

Sometimes I need to call a personal moratorium on S&Ding. I can get a little OCD-like about it, and then have trouble stopping.

pinklemonade
March 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
yes I am an s&d addict! Often I find splits a couple of inches long, the other day I found a few that were 4 inches up....am I the only one to experience this horror???
And another strange thing, in sunlight I often find regions in strands (not the ends) that are splitting, but then closed together at the ends. Does anyone know what I mean? I hate those!!!

EqLady
March 4th, 2010, 02:40 PM
This is good info! I keep a pair of good snips at my knitting table--which is right by my couch where the good light is.

I'm limiting myself to just a few minutes each evening. My DH gets concerned if I do too much trimming. For some reason, he equates snipping with sadness. Me? I just snip for the same reason y'all do--I see a split end and then another, oh lookie! There's another one!

nowxisxforever
March 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yep. I keep mine in my purse, and will snip at work sometimes.

Prism
March 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM
uff, maybe... all of my hair ties/bands are metal free and I use the tiny black hair rubber bands that are catch/tear free. I even unloop the ties instead of pulling them off. As for my forks I ease them in and make an effort not to jam them in my hair. Maybe my hair is just acting naturally. I had bleached the underside of my hair about 4 years ago so I know some of the splits are from that. Total loss. Maybe I'm consuming too much acids. I wonder ... all of us with split end issues how high is the acid in your diet? How much soda do you drink? I'm a medium soda drinker. Maybe if I cut the soda out... /me thinks

If you bleached it 4 years ago, used heat then, whatever, all of that is going to be more damaged than the rest no matter how well you treat it now. I had long hair that suffered some midlength breaks (white dots) long after I started taking better care of it. All of that will just have to grow and be trimmed away for it to be healthy and strong throughout. I think the splits can show more on dark hair, too. I would probably get frequent small trims if I were you until that old stuff is finally gone because it'll just split up the hair shaft if you let it go without the trims.

inspiral
March 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm a total addict also!!!!
I keep my scissors in a special zipper bag in my purse, because I can't stand it when I happen to run my fingers thru my hair and find a huge knot, and not be able to cut it out. I also pull them out for mini-sessions throughout the day, whenever I have a chance. Someone late to meet me for a meeting? YES!!! Time to s&d!
I also love trimming while I'm riding in the car, but my boyfriend wont let me when he is driving, he says its too dangerous. And he doesn't like me leaving my little hair clippings everywhere.
I can spend hours late at night and into the wee hours of the morning lost in s&d land if I'm not careful. It certainly is time consuming, but also super satisfying!! I loooove the way my hair feels after I've put in a solid couple hours and my hair feels soooo soft and nice, and it tangles way less. It's like getting a trim without losing any length.
I've also been replacing my habit of picking at my face with s&d. It gives me that same gratification and is something that is good for me.
.......just thinking about it is giving me that itchin' for a good trimmin' sesh. mmmm s&d.......:eyebrows:

adiapalic
March 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Congratulations on the baby:)

My family members give me such funny looks when they see me snipping individual hairs. :laugh:

I've actually considered buying a nice sharp, professional pair of shears to do S&D and trims with... hmm.

LHC enablers!

LaineRB
March 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I am snipping right now....

Seriously though, does anyone have any recommendations for a good pair of scissors? I find myself cutting with whatever pair of scissors I have handy and I know that in the end if you use bad scissors that it can lead to even more splitting.

guccixx
March 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Girl I feel you on being addicted to S&D...I was up studying last night and took a break because the light on my laptop illuminated alllll these split ends. So I told myself I'd let myself get rid of these by a half hour...it quickly turned into an hour! But my ends feel much better today!:happydance:

bigeyedgirl829
March 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Ugh! I'm having more and more splits! I'm babying my hair too. I wonder if my splits are getting worse because I switched to CV shampoo bars? The alkaline level is way higher... but I make sure to ACV rinse everytime. I just wish I had split end free hair! Has anyone have any good results from CWC or CO washing? Or maybe different oilings? I'm thinking of kicking my coconut oil to the curb and opting for more thicker EVOO? I don't know... any luck with changing your method ladies? :rolleyes:

cellardoor
March 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I always carry my scissors with and on the rare occasion that I don't have them is usually when I find the most splits that need to be trimmed! I could seriously sit and S&D for hours if I had the time

Captain Nikki
March 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ugh! I'm having more and more splits! I'm babying my hair too. I wonder if my splits are getting worse because I switched to CV shampoo bars? The alkaline level is way higher... but I make sure to ACV rinse everytime. I just wish I had split end free hair! Has anyone have any good results from CWC or CO washing? Or maybe different oilings? I'm thinking of kicking my coconut oil to the curb and opting for more thicker EVOO? I don't know... any luck with changing your method ladies? :rolleyes:

I've never done an ACV rinse but since switching from normal S & C washing to CO cone free washing my hair gets far, far less splits. I've tried almond oil & coconut oil & much prefer almond. Almond leaves my hair feeling moisturized without any crunchiness. My ends still feel dry with coconut oil.

zeldagirl7491
March 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I do that all the time! If I'm not carefull, snipping a few splits turns into hours' worth of S&Ding. Most of the time though, I won't be able to find the splits after I grab my scissors. The scene looks this way: Oh a bunch of splits 'grabs scissors'.....hey where did they go?!?!
My split ends hide from me....... -_-

inspiral
March 18th, 2010, 12:36 AM
When I find a split and have to go get my scissors I sometimes hold the hair that's split between my lips if I have to use both my hands....

:heartbeatRecently I've been fantasizing about hiring someone, or several people, to s&d my hair. Imagine four people working simultainously......., one on each side, one in the back, me working the front..... Eight eyes and eight hands searching..... four pairs of scissors destroying..... One hour of that would equal four hours of doing it myself..... ohhhh wouldn't it be wonderful?:pegasus::grouphug::heartbeat

So..... how much would someone have to pay you to s&d their hair for an hour?

Natalia
March 18th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I keep my trusty 5.5 inchers on my nightstand always within reach for a midnight computer glow or morning sun S&D :). Im bad when im out or downstairs though i normally just use my cuticle trimmers or whatever other sharp nail impliment thats handy. I am waiting to get to a good craft store so i can can some nice folding sewing scissors for my purse, our good store shut down last year :(.

Dont really have any advice for you on preverntion other than doing some SMT's if your not against condish. If you dont want to change your wash routine id just stick with one oil DT a week and maybe try a coconut milk soak :). And congrats on your wonderful little bean :D!!!!!

crystal_k
March 22nd, 2010, 06:31 AM
sd is defianetely addictive to me ive replaced it with pulling my hair i think this is much better

Capybara
March 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
I try to limit it, either time-wise or the number of splits I cut. I don't want to risk eye strain (:

elliebean184
March 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
I found a whole bunch this weekend, after a long car ride to Grandma's house. I guess it was all from my hair rubbing against my back. I need to find Grandma's good scissors!! The splitties have hid my good pair- I can't find them anywhere!