PDA

View Full Version : Who has their hair trimmed in a V shape?

mili
March 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Okay, so I am thinking about trimming my hair in a V shape, or a semi-circle shape (now it's cut all blunt - all the same length). Not now, but later, when I've already reached goal length and even gone over it a bit, so I don't lose too much length. So at this stage I am collecting opinions you could say :)

So...to everyone who has their hair trimmed in either of those way - I'd love to hear your experience, what you like/dislike about it, how caring for it/putting it up etc are different from a blunt cut, and any other thoughts you think I might want to hear about this. Just looking to generate some discussion :-)

spidermom
March 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
I haven't tried the V-shape and don't tend to like it much on other people, but I've found the U-shape that I currently have much more flattering than a blunt cut. I don't notice much difference in how it behaves when I braid or bun it. My original U-shape was much more steep than it is now, and the ends my braids were really skinny at the bottom because of it. I'm sure this would be even more so with a V-shape.

Katurday
March 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
My hair is too short to V, but I will do so in the future. I'm not a huge fan of the U shape, I find it just off in some way or another. My hair naturally grows in a V, so I tend to see it as "natural". Also, if your length stops somewhere around waist to tailbone, I joke that its like a big arrow pointing to your bum.:eyebrows:

Amara
March 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
My hair is in a soft U - it's more flattering than blunt, which is what I had previously, and also the ends are easier to tuck into buns and stuff. My U is not so drastic that I have much trouble with braids or anything.

ETA: my hair is all wavy in this pic from the bun, so it's hard to see... but obviously it's not blunt or V, either. I've never tried V. :)

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/amara4lhc/003-2.jpg

AJoifulNoise
March 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I love to keep my hemline in a U shape. To maintain this, I usually trim in to a v-shape and over a month or so it grows out into a U. My sides grow faster than the middle.

rchorr
March 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mine's a V shape ... but not because I cut it that way. When hair starts to get to terminal length, it does it by itself ... or at least, mine does.

RCHORR'

jasper
March 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have had a V and I'm working on blunting it into a U and making this more shallow if I can.

What I don't like about the V is that it adds to the taper of any braid. I don't like to see the thickness of my braid dwindle away to nothing. Also, sometimes the shorter sides won't stay in for some up-do styles I'd like to do.

Teazel
March 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
My hem had a V when I joined LHC, because I had layers. (Grr, dratted layers!) It certainly made plaits taper down to a rat's tail, but that's the only problem I can remember. Any other problems could be put down to the layers.

V on the left here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3831&pictureid=49289

SunshineHair
March 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I may be the odd girl out..I love the V shape look and I love layers :)

V shape looks great on above butt length to me!

LadyVictoria
March 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
My hair naturally grows in a V, of course my years of getting face-framing layers hasn't helped this of course. I would like to work on getting a nice U shape going on over time. I find that having such a severe V shape makes my braid ends very teeny tiny, I have a lot of hairs sticking out of my braids & I sometimes have trouble tucking all my ends into my buns. I don't mind the look of a V, I just feel that my hair would be easier to manage in a U.

julliams
March 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I think mine is a V but I didn't intentionally get it cut like this. I think that I have a thinner long level that just seems to bunch together in the middle. I can take 4 pictures of my hair from the back and it always looks slightly different.

What I like about my V is that I get to have the look of long and shorter hair at the same time and what I hate about it is when I want to look long, the short bits get to me.

I think it's like the "grass is greener" thing. I'm sure once I get all to one length, I'll go and cut layers again just to have something to whine about.

Juliette

xoxophelia
March 2nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Oh.. I wouldn't get a V.. I am desperate to get rid of mine from layers. It makes your hair look less thick, and in my book, the thicker you can get your hair to look, the better.

BranwenWolf
March 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
I did mine myself and I love it. I'll get around to pictures later.

Since I have scoliosis I feel like a straight hemline draws attention to the fact that my shoulders/hips aren't level. I also think the V-hemline looks good with my pear figure.

With soft waves I think it looks fairytale-like. :D

Gingevere
March 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
I love both v- and u-shaped hemlines. I currently have a v because I am growing out layers, but I also keep it trimmed that way. It can look a bit odd on straight hair, though... works best for wavies and wurlies I think. A u hemline in univerally flattering, IMO.

Lacus Autumni
March 3rd, 2010, 04:34 AM
I think I have a V line - I do like it rather a lot. It wasn't intentional though, it just seems to grow that way. I suppose the only negative I can think of right now is that when I do a regular braid, half of the ends at the bottom stick out, and the braid itself gets very thin, and the tassel of the braid is rather on the long side. Then again, I never game it much thought till your question popped up. ^^;

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj261/mermaids_purse/Hair/CIMG9152.jpg

Hope this helped a little. @_@

Centelleo
March 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
My hair is trimmed to a V and I prefer it that way. I think it looks better V-tapered rather than a blunt line since I wear my hair both naturally wavy and heat straightened. With my head and face shape and my hair's natural volume/thickness, not tapering the ends can be super unflattering (dreaded block or pyramid head).

Forever_Sophie
March 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
Hate hate hate (on me). Actually, I liked it from the front but from the back, no. Plus I like to braid my hair at night, and having 2" or so straight at the bottom (that couldn't be braided b/c of the side layers) bugged me to no end. Oh, and on a makeover show (not that I had respect for this stylist but still), she referred to it as a "stripper V." That kinda turned me against it yrs before I had this hemline!

I went in asking for a trim and the stylist got carried away... This was last spring, it's all good now!

Gingevere
March 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hate hate hate (on me). Actually, I liked it from the front but from the back, no. Plus I like to braid my hair at night, and having 2" or so straight at the bottom (that couldn't be braided b/c of the side layers) bugged me to no end. Oh, and on a makeover show (not that I had respect for this stylist but still), she referred to it as a "stripper V." That kinda turned me against it yrs before I had this hemline!

I went in asking for a trim and the stylist got carried away... This was last spring, it's all good now!

Stripper v?! Lol... never heard that one before.

RecklessCharlie
March 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
My hair naturally grows in a V, of course my years of getting face-framing layers hasn't helped this of course. I would like to work on getting a nice U shape going on over time. I find that having such a severe V shape makes my braid ends very teeny tiny, I have a lot of hairs sticking out of my braids & I sometimes have trouble tucking all my ends into my buns. I don't mind the look of a V, I just feel that my hair would be easier to manage in a U.

Hair sticking out of braids it infernally annoying! :steam
My hair is growing out of long layers and still has a V shape to it, with the shortest pieces being just below BSL and the rest at waist. I think I'll always maintain a slight v shape.

young&reckless
March 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have a u shape which I like very much. I like a few long layers in the front but I"m not a fan of the V, the thicker my ends look the better.

Currently mad at freshly cut layers, braid looks fuzzy.

Sheltie_Momma
March 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Mine is a v shape (I think? Right?) It runs from about shoulder at an angle down the layers in the last few inches. I like it for myself, for the length I have. I am short and have thicker hair, so it seems to drape better with some softness and movement, as opposed to a big blocky pyramid. The minuses are really more about the layers than the hem line - it is harder to do updo's and I end my braids earlier because otherwise they will get splintery.

At my current length I can still wear it down comfortably and without it being too hazardous so I'm enjoying this stage and the layers and v-ish hemline. However, once my hair is long enough I think I will stop getting the layers and V shape because up-do's will be the mainstay.

SimplyViki
March 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Aditi has a very pretty v-shape, if I recall correctly (and assuming she hasn't changed it since I last noticed her siggy pic/avatar/whichever it was).

ale
March 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I always loved the look of V-shaped hemlines, even when I had short hair; so it was quite natural to trim mine like that (when I used to trim), without a doubt.
Now that I stopped trimming, I still love my fairytale V-shaped ends!

Firefly
March 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I trim mine in a V because I love the look of fairy tale ends. I try to mimic it when I don't have it naturally.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/scifi-chic/Tresses/fairytale0001.jpg

I haven't noticed any particular difficulties with updo/braiding...YMMV

emmabovary
March 4th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Mine is in an unintentional V-shape too, I guess because of layers.. I think it looks great when it's waist or hip length, when it's down. But at least for me I run into problems when I try to braid it or basically just do anything with it... that's probably because of the layers, though. Those layers! Don't you just love it when the stylist cuts your hair into a hockey shape? That's what they like to do with mine.

ravenreed
March 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have layers with a V. I am trying to round it a bit to get more thickness at the ends, but now I don't like how it looks down as much as I did when it was more heavily layered.