PDA

View Full Version : Emu Oil?

Fluffy01
March 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Has anyone used products with Emu Oil in them for hair growth and seen a difference? I swear my hair is growing faster and the only change was in my conditioner that now has emu oil in it. Hmmm...thoughts?

carloota
March 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I've never used products with Emu Oil. But I've read in more than one publication that Emu Oil is supposed to promote hair growth. Note to self: Buy Emu Oil. :)

AntiHairSlave
March 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Is emu oil made from chickens? I think I read that somewhere???

MadHatter
March 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
It's made from emus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_oil).

Celebrian
March 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I hope it isn't making the hair on my face grow any faster! I've been using it as a facial moisturiser for several months...

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I don't know about helping with hair growth as I only just started using it, but it has really helped moisturize my hair.

I used it last Friday with a little chrome dome for a scalp massage then brushed the oils down my length and for the past few days my hair has been so soft, shiny, silky and tangle free. My hair has also felt quite a bit thicker, possibly because it's so moisturized. I haven't even had to use a leave-in to detangle my hair which is unbelievable to me.

It is my new favorite oil.

ChloeDharma
October 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I've read in quite a few places that it stimulates growth, i cant remember the exact reason though but i'm sure the claims were backed up by studies. I've not looked into it that much though as it's really tempting but i feel guilty about the idea of using it.
Does it smell though?

chrissy-b
October 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I've read in quite a few places that it stimulates growth, i cant remember the exact reason though but i'm sure the claims were backed up by studies. I've not looked into it that much though as it's really tempting but i feel guilty about the idea of using it.
Does it smell though?

I don't notice a smell at all.

I felt a little guilty too, but I did some research (don't know if it's true, I tend to question everything I read), and all the articles I found said that the emus are not harvested only for their oil, but for their meat. I don't think I'll stop using it unless I decide to go vegetarian or vegan again, or unless someone can show documentation of the animals being treated inhumanely (I used to live in a town that had an emu farm and the conditions were better than I've seen for pigs, cows or chickens in the area).

MermaidGirl
October 21st, 2008, 12:44 AM
... all the articles I found said that the emus are not harvested only for their oil, but for their meat. ...

Their eggs are also a product as I don't recall that all of their eggs are used for hatching baby emus; their feathers are also used. I'm sure other parts get used, too.

I am not vegan or vegetarian, never have been and never will be because I do believe that humans are meant to eat animal protein (I'm sure someone with a more advanced anthropology degree than mine can back that up with evoluationary and fossil record data showing that our ancestors branched off from the vegetarians who were evolving along with us - the vegetarians eventually died off, the meat eaters became us). That said, I certainly do not believe that animals should be mistreated in any way and chrissy-b is right, the emus usually are raised in better conditions than most industry animals.

sandrak
October 21st, 2008, 02:18 AM
I use Emu Oil Conditioner and love it. It is cone free, and it is the best conditioner I have ever used. I don't know if it helps with growth, but it sure moisturizes. I buy mine off Ebay.

Tabitha
October 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Does it smell though?

Yes :agree: I'm afraid there IS a definite whiff of poultry about it, or at least, the bottle I have. It's rather offputting. I keep meaning to add some EOs to mask it so that I will actually start using it.

Eryka
October 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
LOVE Emu Oil!!!!!!

Its been the best thing for my hair. It is so shiny and soft! Mine has no smell so it depends on the maker.

I get mine from:

www.shimmerskincare.com she's also on Ebay

chrissy-b
October 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yes :agree: I'm afraid there IS a definite whiff of poultry about it, or at least, the bottle I have. It's rather offputting. I keep meaning to add some EOs to mask it so that I will actually start using it.

I think there is a difference depending on how refined the emu oil is. Mine is super refined (it goes into detail about exactly how refined it is on the packaging) and has no smell, others have complained of odor and I'm assuming (since this is the only bottle I've owned) that those are less refined. Or maybe my nose doesn't work properly, which is a bonus if mine really smells like poultry. :)

ChloeDharma
October 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM

So is the smell subtle enough that some EO' would mask it or do you think it would still come through? I really wouldn't like the idea of wearing eau de raw poultry! :p
I'm wondering if the odourless refined type has any beneficial properties removed in the refining process.
I actually have no idea why i'm so interested as i told myself already that i'm not allowed this oil.

MermaidGirl
October 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
LOVE Emu Oil!!!!!!

Its been the best thing for my hair. It is so shiny and soft! Mine has no smell so it depends on the maker.

I get mine from:

www.shimmerskincare.com (http://www.shimmerskincare.com) she's also on Ebay

Hey Eryka, how do you apply your oil? Just a drop or two over wet hair, to just the ends, or do you massage into your scalp as well?

MermaidGirl
October 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think there is a difference depending on how refined the emu oil is. Mine is super refined (it goes into detail about exactly how refined it is on the packaging) and has no smell, others have complained of odor and I'm assuming (since this is the only bottle I've owned) that those are less refined. Or maybe my nose doesn't work properly, which is a bonus if mine really smells like poultry. :)

This is exactly right. I've had different emu oils of varying levels of refined-ness (ok, I just made up that word) and the less refined ones are more smelly, conversely, the move refined ones are less smelly. I had one that was triple refined and didn't have much of a smell at all.

MermaidGirl
October 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
... I'm wondering if the odourless refined type has any beneficial properties removed in the refining process.
I actually have no idea why i'm so interested as i told myself already that i'm not allowed this oil.

ChloeDharma, if you find this out, please let the rest of us know. I've always wondered about that ...

ChloeDharma
October 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM
ChloeDharma, if you find this out, please let the rest of us know. I've always wondered about that ...

As a general rule of thumb i tend to assume that the less refined an oil is then the more benefits it will give. If i do find anything on it specifically though i will add it here :)

MandaMom2Three
October 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
note to self: Self, get thee some oil of emu :D

Eryka
October 22nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Hey Eryka, how do you apply your oil? Just a drop or two over wet hair, to just the ends, or do you massage into your scalp as well?

Every which way you just mentioned and more if I can find some. My hair loves this stuff and I recently did a deep treatment with it. Fabulous stuff. Emu Oil is kind of thick so you have to play with the amount you need. As to date, I don't know of anyone whos hair had a negative reaction. Many also use it on their face as a moisturizer and is safe for acne prone skin.:cheese:

MermaidGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info, Eryka, I appreciate it! I'm going to have to get myself some of the less expensive, less refined stuff that I can buy in larger sizes and try that on my hair.

ChloeDharma
November 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Ok, here's a link suggesting that Emu oil stimulates hair growth....but gives very little actual information supporting the claim....though i do remember that in other places online more detailed information was given...

http://www.emuoilguide.com/Hair_Growth.htm

This link warns against something called brown emu oil, apparently it has a shorter shelf life

http://www.emuoilguide.com/Brown_Emu_Oil.htm

This page warns that some oil sold as emu oil isn't actually from emu's

http://www.emuoilguide.com/Natural_Emu_Oil.htm

This link explains that the triple refined stuff has "heavier" fatty acids removed....but no idea what that means in terms of effectiveness for promoting growth

http://www.emuoilguide.com/Triple_Refined_Emu_Oil.htm

This one looks exciting, it explains the skin penetrating properties of the oil and also given information into a study showing that it increased hair growth in mice

http://www.emu-oil.com/properties.htm

"Proliferative Activity of the Skin and Excelerated Hair Growth

Dr. Michael Holick, M.D, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine, conducted a study involving a processed emu oil, and the results were so outstanding that they quickly became a topic of conversation in many medical and other journals.

Dr. Holick had been interested in looking at factors that stimulate and inhibit skin and hair growth. "We depilated some mice and we then topically applied, in a blinded fashion, (a processed emu oil) and corn oil to two different groups of mice, and we did this for two weeks," he explained.

"We found that there was about a 20% increase in DNA synthesis, which means that there was a 20% increase in the proliferative activity, or the growth activity of the skin in the animals that received (a processed emu oil), compared to the animals that received corn oil, " said Dr. Holick.

"We found that there was an enhancement in the growth activity of the hair follicles. So it gives us very good scientific indication that we were stimulating skin growth," Dr. Holick elaborated. "

http://www.emu-oil.com/HairLoss.htm

"In their study they used a mouse model. They studied hair growth by histologic (under slides and microscopes) analysis. The hair follicles had an enhanced progression from their resting or sleeping state (known as telogen) to a more active enhanced growth or proliferative state called the anagen state. They concluded that Emu Oil enhanced the growth activity of the skin and also stimulated resting hair follicles to proliferate and grow. They went on to say that you couldn't directly move from this animal study to humans, but it was very suggestive toward this possibility."
http://www.emuoil.co.uk/emu_oil_research.htm

hennaphile
April 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
do you leave it on your scalp overnight??

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Personally, yes I do. My hair and scalp love it. I leave it on as long as possible.

Shadow
July 20th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I've just ordered some Emu Oil off of Ebay - I've just had my highlights re-done so any new growth will be easy to track, will keep everyone posted on my results :)

Shadow
July 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I tried my emu oil last night and I have to say taht I am rather impressed with my results. I've been very happy with my hair today - which is a very rare occurence!

I applied mine to dry hair, left it for about an hour then did a quick mermaid soak in the bathtub and applied some of my usual Biolage deep conditioner and went to bed. I COed this morning with my usual TREsemme conditioner and blow-fried. My hair has been shiney and soft and has just fallen into place today. It feels thicker too. Much better than the results I usually have than just doing a DT with the Biolage! Will continue to use this and keep everyone posted :)

Eryka
July 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Still loving my Emu oil, apparently its the only oil my hair likes. :shrug:

xovictoryxo
July 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
i might try it! hedys=haven has a few bottles listed for about $4. tempting!

Flynn
July 23rd, 2009, 01:51 AM
How much does it cost you guys? I always thought it was rather expensive...

Shadow
July 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I got a 60ml (2 ounce?) bottle off of Ebay for £4.95. They have deals where you can buy more than that for less but I didnt want to invest in a lot of oil before I'd tried a little first.

I found that, at that price, it's cost just a little more than double of what my castor oil costs from the chemist. I think that Castor Oil is better for my skin but so far my hair likes the emu oil. A lot. I'm not even greasey today which is a bit unusal for me the second day after a DT.

I'm glad I found this thread! :)

Flynn
July 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Care to post a review (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php?product=224) for ease of future reference?

I'm kind of trying to revive the oils part of our reviews section. Be prepared for me to be posting lots of annoying little posts like this. ;)

Shadow
July 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Care to post a review for ease of future reference?

Flynn, is that review posting for the specific brand of Emu Oil in the picture or is it for all brands Emu Oil in general?

***edit*** Nevermind...just saw the bit where it says 'General Emu Oil'....guess that'll teach me to take a proper look at things before I post a comment *lol* :D ***edit***

Flynn
July 28th, 2009, 02:29 AM
That category is meant to be for emu oil in general. My impression was that all emu oils were created more or less equal... I guess you could create a new category for your brand, though, or just write in your review what brand you used...? (I've been kind of favouring the latter in the context of carrier oils, mostly....)

Edit for your edit: Hahahahaha, no worries. The reviews section is a little confusing to navigate overall... I think more people would be using it if it was designed a little differently. ^__^

Shadow
July 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'll give it a bit more time to make sure that my results with Emu Oil stay consistant before I review it but so far I've been really happy with it. Dare I say Holy Grail?

Flynn
July 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Serious? O.o Wow. Might have to give it a shot...

(Do you type as fine, med, or coarse, incidentally? It seems to make a big difference when it comes to the reaction of one's hair to oils...)

ETA: Reviews are editable, too. If you post, then everything goes wrong, you can always just go and correct it...

DolphinPrincess
July 29th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Ooh, I've been using emu oil for awhile now, and I have to say it is my HG! I use it for both my hair and my face, and it's just wonderful!

Flynn - I'm a F/M, btw.

Shadow
July 29th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Flynn: yeah, I'd have to say that this is the best oil I've found for my hair so far. It feels like it really sinks in as opposed to other oils I've tried (castor, olive and coconut) which dont feel like they really penetrate into my hair. The Emu oil has left my hair really soft and manageable and it feels thicker. Also, I wont say that my hair is shiny, as it's hard to get blonde hair to shine, but my hair now has this sort of healthy 'glow' to it. The ends also dont feel as frazzled as they used to when I was using the other oils and my hair and scalp dont seem to get 'greasy' as quickly with Emu oil, which means that I might actually be able to go another day without washing, so I'll go from washing my hair every other day to every third!

I'm really, really pleased with my results so far and it's only been about a week or so!

(I'd say that my hair is fine to medium by the way)

:D

CaityBear
July 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
We have a tiny bottle of it (no idea where it came from. I noticed it long before I was even a member here and into all the oils). I sometimes use a small amount in my oil mixes, but since it's so small, I don't like to use a lot. I'm not sure where I could get more. Might have to keep my eyes open though... :)

Shadow
July 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM
CaityBear: You can get it off Ebay, that's where I got mine :)

Flynn
July 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM
We have a tiny bottle of it (no idea where it came from. I noticed it long before I was even a member here and into all the oils). I sometimes use a small amount in my oil mixes, but since it's so small, I don't like to use a lot. I'm not sure where I could get more. Might have to keep my eyes open though... :)
And you can get it at just about any chemists' here (Australia...) but it is an Australian sort of a product, so it may be a little different where you are.

Evie
July 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Just purchased some (Australian) emu oil from ebay - I love this stuff!!!

Have never tried it in my hair, so will be giving that a go, but I love it as a moisturiser as it helps my itchy dry skin (it can be so dry sometimes that I will itch in my sleep, not nice!)

Sooo....will be giving it a go on my scalp! Anything to get the follicles activiated a bit more!!! I could do with gaining some length.

If you were going to add EOs to it, to boost growth, what would you add? Rosemary? Any ideas welcome....:p

Canarygirl
July 30th, 2009, 10:24 AM
All emu oils are not created equal, IMO. :)

I've been using them as facial moisturizer for years and they're great for their anti-inflammatory and non-comedogenic properties.

Here is my favorite supplier, LBProcessors. This is their top-of-the-line product, which is cold processed to retain maximum properties of the less-refined emu oils, but without the smell:
http://lbemuoil.com/ultraemuoil.htm

It's rather expensive, however. This version of their product is probably over-kill for application to the hair.

Here's another refined version that they offer:
http://lbemuoil.com/clearemuoil.htm

Here's some better deals on their "regular" grade A emu oil:
http://lbemuoil.com/AEAEmuOil.htm

And here is a different vendor that sells "emu oil for hair;" it has some anti-dht saw palmetto oil added. This one does smell poultry-ish but if you cut it with a lighter version and add some EO's you can eliminate the smell:
http://store.reverseskinaging.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=81H
This one is pretty expensive too, at $30 for 2 oz

I have a bottle of hair oil mixed up with 50/50 blend of SkinBiology emu oil and LBProcessors refined emu oil, with some EO's added like geranium, lavender, I can't remember what-all. It smells nice though, with the EO's added.

Shadow
August 12th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Well, I've been using Emu Oil for just over 3 weeks now, and while I can say that I've not seen any sort of extra growth from it, I can categorically state that my hair has been transformed into a soft, glowy, lusterous easy to manage mass that falls just right. I am happier with my hair than I have ever , ever been. I am absolutely kicking myself for not taking before and after pictures!!

Review on the review board to follow shortly.

ChloeDharma
August 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
If you were going to add EOs to it, to boost growth, what would you add? Rosemary? Any ideas welcome....:p

There is a thread here called something like "essential oils for hair growth" i would look through that, i think the essential oils used in a study on alopecia areata were rosemary, lavender, cedarwood atlas and thyme, but ylang ylang and bay are also considered good for hair growth.
Personally i always try to include rosemary in any treatment aimed at growth and/or scalp health as a rinse with the infusion has always worked wonders for me, and rosemary is believed to encourage follicles to enter the anagen (growth) phase.

Naturel
August 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Emu is on my wish list. I will see how it goes when I get it. I hear alot of good things about it. I used it before in my face and I am not sure if it did anything for my skin.

Flynn
August 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I got some...

... but it's a smelly one. Maybe they're all smelly ones; I'm pretty sensitive to smells.

Shadow
August 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM
There is a thread here called something like "essential oils for hair growth" i would look through that, i think the essential oils used in a study on alopecia areata were rosemary, lavender, cedarwood atlas and thyme, but ylang ylang and bay are also considered good for hair growth.
Personally i always try to include rosemary in any treatment aimed at growth and/or scalp health as a rinse with the infusion has always worked wonders for me, and rosemary is believed to encourage follicles to enter the anagen (growth) phase.

ChloeDharma: I've found that I don't really tend to get much Emu Oil on my scalp anyway, it mostly goes on to my lengths, so I've bough some rosemary oil to put into my CO-Wash conditioner instead! Thanks for reminding me to buy some. Fingers crossed that it works - my growth has been super slow lately.

Emu is on my wish list. I will see how it goes when I get it. I hear alot of good things about it. I used it before in my face and I am not sure if it did anything for my skin.

Naturel: I found that it doesn't do much for my skin either. My skin much prefers Castor Oil. But on my hair Emu oil is amazing.

... but it's a smelly one. Maybe they're all smelly ones; I'm pretty sensitive to smells.

Flynn: I havent found mine to be smelly at all. It has a slight waxy whiff to it but that's it. I'm using this one. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Australian-Emu-Oil-60-ml-Free-P-P_W0QQitemZ380124199051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Healt h_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies?hash=item588 12af88b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14). Which one have you got?

Canarygirl
August 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Well, I've been using Emu Oil for just over 3 weeks now, and while I can say that I've not seen any sort of extra growth from it, I can categorically state that my hair has been transformed into a soft, glowy, lusterous easy to manage mass that falls just right. I am happier with my hair than I have ever , ever been. I am absolutely kicking myself for not taking before and after pictures!!

Shadow, how about just an 'after pic'? :)

Flynn
August 15th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Flynn: I havent found mine to be smelly at all. It has a slight waxy whiff to it but that's it. I'm using this one. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Australian-Emu-Oil-60-ml-Free-P-P_W0QQitemZ380124199051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Healt h_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies?hash=item588 12af88b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14). Which one have you got?

I can't see the listing (I get almost all cosmetic products on EBay UK popping up as "blocked due to a Paris commercial court decision that bans trade of certain authentic perfumes and cosmetic products on eBay because of French selective distribution law.")

I have Emu Fire pure emu oil.

wahmof9
August 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM
All emu oils are not created equal, IMO. :)

I've been using them as facial moisturizer for years and they're great for their anti-inflammatory and non-comedogenic properties.

Here is my favorite supplier, LBProcessors. This is their top-of-the-line product, which is cold processed to retain maximum properties of the less-refined emu oils, but without the smell:
http://lbemuoil.com/ultraemuoil.htm

It's rather expensive, however. This version of their product is probably over-kill for application to the hair.

Here's another refined version that they offer:
http://lbemuoil.com/clearemuoil.htm

Here's some better deals on their "regular" grade A emu oil:
http://lbemuoil.com/AEAEmuOil.htm

And here is a different vendor that sells "emu oil for hair;" it has some anti-dht saw palmetto oil added. This one does smell poultry-ish but if you cut it with a lighter version and add some EO's you can eliminate the smell:
http://store.reverseskinaging.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=81H
This one is pretty expensive too, at $30 for 2 oz

I have a bottle of hair oil mixed up with 50/50 blend of SkinBiology emu oil and LBProcessors refined emu oil, with some EO's added like geranium, lavender, I can't remember what-all. It smells nice though, with the EO's added.

What about mixing it with another oil like castor??? Any thoughts?

BTW thank you for the links..you guys are great:cheese:

wahmof9
August 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM

Where do you get yours?

Eryka
August 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I get mine here: www.shimmerskincare.com

Not smelly at all.

wahmof9
August 15th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I get mine here: www.shimmerskincare.com (http://www.shimmerskincare.com)

Not smelly at all.
Thank you!:)

Shadow
August 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I get mine here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Australian-Emu-Oil-60-ml-Free-P-P_W0QQitemZ380124199051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Healt h_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies?hash=item588 12af88b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

It's a small bottle but a little goes a really long way for me. I only need about a teaspoonful to do a heavier oiling and a a small drop to go on my lengths when my hair is dry. At this rate the little bottle I got should last me a good 4 months or so even though I'm using it almost every other day.

ljkforu
August 17th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Their eggs are also a product as I don't recall that all of their eggs are used for hatching baby emus; their feathers are also used. I'm sure other parts get used, too.

I am not vegan or vegetarian, never have been and never will be because I do believe that humans are meant to eat animal protein (I'm sure someone with a more advanced anthropology degree than mine can back that up with evoluationary and fossil record data showing that our ancestors branched off from the vegetarians who were evolving along with us - the vegetarians eventually died off, the meat eaters became us). That said, I certainly do not believe that animals should be mistreated in any way and chrissy-b is right, the emus usually are raised in better conditions than most industry animals.
I agree, I did notice a fryied turkey smell when I oiled my whole head and hair. :rollin:

Shadow
August 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I agree. These animals , from what I've seen in my research, are farmed ethically and humanely. Also, and this may sound a bit weird, but I really like the idea of using up all of an animal if at all possible. I think it's revolting that so many modern day people are only happy to eat/use the 'good bits' of an animal and then turn their noses up at everything else. I think, that if you're going to be an omnivore, you need to go 'the whole hog' so to speak and really try to utilize as much of an animal as possible - anything else would be disrespectful to the creature that has just given it's life to sustain you :)

I agree, I did notice a fryied turkey smell when I oiled my whole head and hair.

Seriously? Mine doesn't really smell at all - just a bit like raw wax, but my castor oil has a stronger smell. I think the smell of the products seems to vary according to which brand has been purchased. I'm glad I lucked out with mine hehe :)

wahmof9
August 17th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I get mine here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Australian-Emu-Oil-60-ml-Free-P-P_W0QQitemZ380124199051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Healt h_Beauty_Natural_AlternativeTherapies?hash=item588 12af88b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

It's a small bottle but a little goes a really long way for me. I only need about a teaspoonful to do a heavier oiling and a a small drop to go on my lengths when my hair is dry. At this rate the little bottle I got should last me a good 4 months or so even though I'm using it almost every other day.
Thank you:)

Shadow
September 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Has anyone used products with Emu Oil in them for hair growth and seen a difference? I swear my hair is growing faster and the only change was in my conditioner that now has emu oil in it. Hmmm...thoughts?

I don't know about helping with hair growth as I only just started using it, but it has really helped moisturize my hair.

I used it last Friday with a little chrome dome for a scalp massage then brushed the oils down my length and for the past few days my hair has been so soft, shiny, silky and tangle free. My hair has also felt quite a bit thicker, possibly because it's so moisturized. I haven't even had to use a leave-in to detangle my hair which is unbelievable to me.

It is my new favorite oil.

Fluffy and Chrissy B: Which product line were you using? I'm keen to give an emu oil shampoo/conditioner a try since the plain oil has worked so well for me :D

indigonight
September 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I have had this is my bathroom for ages although was using it as a skin moisturiser. Must now try on hair! I found neem oil is also one of those oils that works great but heck it stinks even more than emu!

I guess its time to concoct the ultimate hair growth oil from my too big selection (I buy too much hair oil!!).
Here is what I thought I should mix up so far, any additional oils I should add? Let me know!
Oil mix:
Emu Oil
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Bringraj Oil
Amla Oil
Neem Oil
Rosemary Oil
Ylang Ylang

I figure all those oils stimulate growth and scalp health!

jivete
September 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
This is where I get mine. It doesn't smell at all. Sometimes the texture is a little grainy, but it doesn't bother me.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-100-Pure-Emu-Oil?csrc=GPF-844197010707

I use it primarily on my skin since I had a hard time getting it out when I first started using it in my hair. Since I'm now using diluted poo, I'm slowly introducing back into my hair. My skin loves it, I hope my hair does too.

swirlytresses
September 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Emu oil is next on my list to try...after I finish the 6 bottles I have of other oils :o..he he..:)

jojo
September 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
What is this? does it come from emus? and what are your views and experiences with it?

I read on another forum it helps with growth, is this true?

TIA:)

Sigzephyr
September 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yes iot comes from emus. It is the fat rendered from the meat. It is not a vegan product.
I use it in my hair and on my face. It is great stuff as long as you have no ethical objections to it.

jivete
September 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I love it for my skin. I'm not convinced it's wonderful for my hair yet. It may be too heavy for my hair.

Brat
September 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Supposed to be wickedly good stuff. Google it, you'll find lots of people use it for healing.

pilateschick7
September 29th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I love Emu oil. It seems heavier than Camilla oil but lighter than coconut oil. Emu also does not give me crunchy ends. I use it on my length not scalp.

The best prices that I have found so far are on Ebay.

Shadow
September 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
JoJo - here is a link the the Emu Oil thread --click here-- (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=436)

Emu is my fave hair oil :)

jojo
October 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thank you all so much, I am thinking of trying this for my hair and skin, will let you all know how it goes. xxx

Babyfine
October 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Longhairlovers products have emu oil in them.
I'd like to get the shea-mu butter for thin, slow growing hair.
It's SO expensive, though, I can't afford it right now Have to wait.
The shampoos and conditioners also have emu oil.
They also have a UK site.

Tabitha
October 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
I had some and ... it pongs a bit. Eventually I threw it out almost entirely unused.

jojo
October 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Longhairlovers products have emu oil in them.
I'd like to get the shea-mu butter for thin, slow growing hair.
It's SO expensive, though, I can't afford it right now Have to wait.
The shampoos and conditioners also have emu oil.
They also have a UK site.

http://www.emu-oil-well.com/ try this uk site not bad prices

jojo
October 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Well I got some and it is very good on my hair, it has a kind of mild menthol smell but I have a cold and being a nurse I have learnt to breath through my ears LOL so don't take my word for it.

I have also been using it on my face and my fingers which have arthritis and its wonderful stuff. For my hair its a trial and error with getting the correct amount, like all oils really but I put it on wet hair and my hair is super soft and strangely feels thicker after one use? maybe it plumps up hair or something.

I have ordered the shampoo and conditioner from the link above, its cone and sulphate free and not too highly priced, compared to the tigi product I normally use. I will be reviewing these products after my 3 month trial of them.

jojo
October 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I have just started using emu oil and I love it. My hair is so soft from using it and my skin feels and looks the best it ever has, plus I applied some to a cold sore that was at the tingling stage and today its gone, wonderful stuff.

Available here http://www.emu-oil-well.com/

Tabitha
October 3rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Mine didn't smell like menthol - I don't think I'd really mind that - this was more a faint whiff of raw chicken. It smelt OK in the bottle but when it warmed up on my skin it was kind of following me around. :scared: Maybe yours is better quality or fresher than mine was? mine wasn't from a specialist dedicated emu retailer.

Shadow
October 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
JoJo: I'm going to hazard a guess that the 'menthol' smell is probably from rosemary featuring as a ingredient (I'm sure I read that that particular line has rosemary in it).

I've ordered some samples of the hair care line from Emu Oil Well to try (I can be really sensitive to new products so I don't want to buy before I try :) ) and will let you all know what I think once I've tried them. Fingers crossed that they will be as amazing as the plain oil :)

jojo
October 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
yes thats a posibility, it does have rosemary in it!

The emu shampoo and conditioner is also great too and chemical free, like I chemically highlight so didnt want to use any products with more chemicals in them, so far so good!

Babyfine
October 7th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks, Jojo!
Actually I'm not in the UK- I was thinking more for you-but looks like you found a great site with good EMU oil stuff! It's supposed to make the hair follicles more robust which is why I've been interested. Will be interested to see how you the products you ordered.

jojo
October 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Really good used the shampoo twice and my hair feels very soft with it, but as stated before it seems to make my hair thicker and wavier? maybe this is down to its moisterising properties.

The oil on my skin sinks in really quick, not greasy at all. Sort of makes the skin look more awake. My only problem with the oil is finding how much to use, one drop seem to be plenty for the ends so far!

Shadow
October 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I've noticed that the oil seems to make my hair wavier too, especially if I apply a tiny bit after I blow-dry my hair. I wonder if there's something to that or if it's just a coincidence?

jojo
October 12th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I am thinking its the moisterising properties which are causing the extra waviness, but so far so good. I love this oil.

ButterCream
June 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Oooo, I just saw this thread and are going to try this!

Have used coconut oil in my hair, and it is lovely, but I think it is a littlebit too heavy for me ( I get greasy hair just by walking past mcdonalds...:rolleyes:).
Want to try Emu! Actually, it happens that I have a small sample bottle of Emu oil from Silk Naturals (5 ml, a thick gel that has the emu oil suspended in it, it is so lovely)

I am going to try and put that in my hair! It is FANTASTIc for my skin, it has calmed down so I know it is great for that.
Will be back with reviews in a day or two to let you know how it feels on my hair:)

ButterCream
June 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ok, I`m back and can just say my hair felt soft and smooth and overall more easy to comb through without any tangles.
I am going to continue this as I am sold on it!
It was even better than my conditioner on my ends because it soaked into my hair and made it more smooth and just....lovely!
I just have to get me some more as I used up the entire sample, lol.

louzen
May 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hello, for those of you who are interested I found an excellent seller on ebay UK who sells Australian Emu oil at a very reasonable price. I used to pay £16-£25 for 120ml, but paid only £16.99 for 500ml on ebay. The link is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150825475796?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_7269wt_1144

I'll post back once I receive it and start to use it and let you know if the quality is as good as the other Emu oils I buy.

pelicano
May 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hello, for those of you who are interested I found an excellent seller on ebay UK who sells Australian Emu oil at a very reasonable price. I used to pay £16-£25 for 120ml, but paid only £16.99 for 500ml on ebay. The link is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150825475796?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_7269wt_1144

I'll post back once I receive it and start to use it and let you know if the quality is as good as the other Emu oils I buy.

I'll be interested to know, thanks. :)

spookyghost
May 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I know emu oil is suppose to be real good for hair but can anyone tell me if it helps stop shedding? Im going to read up on it later but Im just so curious right now! I have read up on it some but forgot about what read!:lol:

louzen
May 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Yes, most definitely! Here's an excerpt taken from http://www.howtomakeyourhairgrowfast.net/does-emu-oil-help-hair-growth.html

"Emu Oil has been found to work remarkably on improving thin hair and preventing hair fall. Emu Oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that can rejuvenate skin cells and promote healthy hair growth. This oil transforms the lifeless hair follicles to the Anagen phase which is the growing phase for hair. Also it increases the synthesis of DNA in the epidermis which results in stimulating skin regeneration, development of hair follicle and increase in hair growth"

If hair is shedding due to DHT, inflammation, eczema, lack of nutrients, etc then Emu oil will be able to help with all of those. Plus you're feeding your scalp lovely essential fatty acids (Omega 3,6).

I started using it because I developed contact eczema/dermatitis on my scalp and it has improved the condition significantly, especially the inflammation. It outperformed the other oils I have tried (olive, jojoba, coconut) by a longshot. Plus it makes your hair so soft and shiny :)

KarpatiiSiv
May 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Another that will be interested to hear what you think of the quality of the oil sold by this seller and what it smells like. I have been using Emu Oil for years for a skin condition and although I have been very pleased with the quality and price of the oil I have been buying there is a slight smell to it which can be a bit off putting. I've only used it on my hair a few times because of the smell. Its anti-inflammatory properties have helped my skin condition more than anything else I had tried and it works well as a moisturizer.

spookyghost
May 30th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Yes, most definitely! Here's an excerpt taken from http://www.howtomakeyourhairgrowfast.net/does-emu-oil-help-hair-growth.html

"Emu Oil has been found to work remarkably on improving thin hair and preventing hair fall. Emu Oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that can rejuvenate skin cells and promote healthy hair growth. This oil transforms the lifeless hair follicles to the Anagen phase which is the growing phase for hair. Also it increases the synthesis of DNA in the epidermis which results in stimulating skin regeneration, development of hair follicle and increase in hair growth"

If hair is shedding due to DHT, inflammation, eczema, lack of nutrients, etc then Emu oil will be able to help with all of those. Plus you're feeding your scalp lovely essential fatty acids (Omega 3,6).

I started using it because I developed contact eczema/dermatitis on my scalp and it has improved the condition significantly, especially the inflammation. It outperformed the other oils I have tried (olive, jojoba, coconut) by a longshot. Plus it makes your hair so soft and shiny :)

Wow-you basically just sold me on it!:lol: Do you, or anyone, think I should use this straight? I was thinking of using it in Pandora's growth treatment instead of the coconut oil. But maybe I would have better results using it alone. I saw it at my favorite vitamin store that also sells eos and organic poo's. It was 35.00 dollars for im guessing 6oz-maybe 8oz. Thats cheaper then the Mira I was buying. It would last longer in Pandoras mix but maybe I should use it alone.

What does everyone think?

Another that will be interested to hear what you think of the quality of the oil sold by this seller and what it smells like. I have been using Emu Oil for years for a skin condition and although I have been very pleased with the quality and price of the oil I have been buying there is a slight smell to it which can be a bit off putting. I've only used it on my hair a few times because of the smell. Its anti-inflammatory properties have helped my skin condition more than anything else I had tried and it works well as a moisturizer.

Im a little worried about the smell. Has anyone else had an issure with the smell? I have been trying to get my hair to smell nice-not icky!:lol:

Loviatar
May 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I've had emu oil for a while but for my skin not hair. I haven't really done anything with my hair since I pixied in December.

I may have just ordered some of the shampoo and conditioner from the emu oil well site. Oops.

I am sitting here with emu oil and 5 drops of rosemary oil on my hair - applied to scalp and BBB'd through to the ends. I'll see how it goes.

louzen
May 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Wow-you basically just sold me on it!:lol: Do you, or anyone, think I should use this straight? I was thinking of using it in Pandora's growth treatment instead of the coconut oil. But maybe I would have better results using it alone. I saw it at my favorite vitamin store that also sells eos and organic poo's. It was 35.00 dollars for im guessing 6oz-maybe 8oz. Thats cheaper then the Mira I was buying. It would last longer in Pandoras mix but maybe I should use it alone.

What does everyone think?

Im a little worried about the smell. Has anyone else had an issure with the smell? I have been trying to get my hair to smell nice-not icky!:lol:

I personally use it straight, or if I run out of money I mix it with jojoba oil since I was previously buying Emu oil at £16-£25 for 120ml! Emu oil is a great transporter since it penetrates the seven layers of skin, so you can mix it with any other beneficial non-comedogenic oil you like or even vitamins. Give it a whirl and see what you like best!

The Emu oil I'm using now is from the emu oil well and it does smell a little like chicken fat. Although it's not too strong and I can only smell it if I put my nose up to it. I personally can't smell it when it's on my scalp/hair and my hubbie hasn't mentioned anything :) I have never smelt it after washing my hair.

I used to buy emu oil from Amazon here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GWCC02/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00. This one didn't smell at all, but is a little on the pricey side. It's also from America and not Australia. Emu oil from Australia is supposed to be of better quality due to the Emu's living environment.

louzen
May 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I've had emu oil for a while but for my skin not hair. I haven't really done anything with my hair since I pixied in December.

I may have just ordered some of the shampoo and conditioner from the emu oil well site. Oops.

I am sitting here with emu oil and 5 drops of rosemary oil on my hair - applied to scalp and BBB'd through to the ends. I'll see how it goes.

I was thinking of buying the shampoo and conditioner too but was a bit wary as I thought Olefin Sulfonate might dry out my scalp (and it's hyper-sensitive these days). Let me know how it goes!

spookyghost
May 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I personally use it straight, or if I run out of money I mix it with jojoba oil since I was previously buying Emu oil at £16-£25 for 120ml! Emu oil is a great transporter since it penetrates the seven layers of skin, so you can mix it with any other beneficial non-comedogenic oil you like or even vitamins. Give it a whirl and see what you like best!

The Emu oil I'm using now is from the emu oil well and it does smell a little like chicken fat. Although it's not too strong and I can only smell it if I put my nose up to it. I personally can't smell it when it's on my scalp/hair and my hubbie hasn't mentioned anything :) I have never smelt it after washing my hair.

I used to buy emu oil from Amazon here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GWCC02/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00. This one didn't smell at all, but is a little on the pricey side. It's also from America and not Australia. Emu oil from Australia is supposed to be of better quality due to the Emu's living environment.

I just got some today and I have it on my scalp right now!:D Im pretty sure I saw an Emu oil site from Australia when I was reading up on it before I even joined this site. But I was a little too impatient so I ran to the vitamin store and picked some up. It was $33.00 for 4oz. Im going to use this first and then maybe look up the oil from Australia. What is the consistency of yours? Mine is white and a little thick. Not too thick like castor oil or anything but not thin either. I cant wait to see how my hair is tomarrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really need something to stop my shedding.

Ive decided to use it staight-full strength!

louzen
May 31st, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just got some today and I have it on my scalp right now!:D Im pretty sure I saw an Emu oil site from Australia when I was reading up on it before I even joined this site. But I was a little too impatient so I ran to the vitamin store and picked some up. It was $33.00 for 4oz. Im going to use this first and then maybe look up the oil from Australia. What is the consistency of yours? Mine is white and a little thick. Not too thick like castor oil or anything but not thin either. I cant wait to see how my hair is tomarrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really need something to stop my shedding.

Ive decided to use it staight-full strength!

Yes, you'll find it's a white/off-whitish colour and quite thick. The emu oil I bought from Ebay arrived today! The consistency isn't as thick as the Emu oil I usually buy, and it doesn't smell at all. Here is what it says on the bottle:

"Australian Emu oil is an all natural healing, non-toxic, penetrating oil that rebalances the lipid fatty acid composition in dry and aging skin. It is non-comedogenic (does not clog up pores), which makes this oil unique in helping the skin breathe, and absorb the vital loss of essential fatty acids, sapogens (skin softener) and vitamins A and E obtained in this oil, making it a powerful skin moisturiser with strong anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties"

"NOTE: The functions of the skin are at their most effective between the hours of 2am and 3am. Using emu oil before going to bed will assist the skin's natural process of overnight repair and removal."

I'm not sure whether the consistency (thinner or thicker) has anything to do with quality. I guess the only way is for me to try it and see how it goes. I have a point of reference with the other oils I bought from Amazon and the Emu Oil Well so I should be able to tell if it's of lesser quality. I'll post back after I've tried it.

Incidentally, since I had emu oil for my scalp I thought I would start using it on my face. And wow! It's better than any high street face cream I have ever bought. It made the fine lines under my eyes disappear!

@spookyghost - Do you know why you are experiencing shedding? I hear ACV is very good for that also, applying as a hair rinse and internally (Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother). Also, I found that I didn't experience results straight away when using Emu oil - I started to notice the difference after about the 4th-5th application.

spookyghost
May 31st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, you'll find it's a white/off-whitish colour and quite thick. The emu oil I bought from Ebay arrived today! The consistency isn't as thick as the Emu oil I usually buy, and it doesn't smell at all. Here is what it says on the bottle:

"Australian Emu oil is an all natural healing, non-toxic, penetrating oil that rebalances the lipid fatty acid composition in dry and aging skin. It is non-comedogenic (does not clog up pores), which makes this oil unique in helping the skin breathe, and absorb the vital loss of essential fatty acids, sapogens (skin softener) and vitamins A and E obtained in this oil, making it a powerful skin moisturiser with strong anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties"

"NOTE: The functions of the skin are at their most effective between the hours of 2am and 3am. Using emu oil before going to bed will assist the skin's natural process of overnight repair and removal."

I'm not sure whether the consistency (thinner or thicker) has anything to do with quality. I guess the only way is for me to try it and see how it goes. I have a point of reference with the other oils I bought from Amazon and the Emu Oil Well so I should be able to tell if it's of lesser quality. I'll post back after I've tried it.

Incidentally, since I had emu oil for my scalp I thought I would start using it on my face. And wow! It's better than any high street face cream I have ever bought. It made the fine lines under my eyes disappear!

@spookyghost - Do you know why you are experiencing shedding? I hear ACV is very good for that also, applying as a hair rinse and internally (Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother). Also, I found that I didn't experience results straight away when using Emu oil - I started to notice the difference after about the 4th-5th application.

Hi! My hair today was a little softer and thats about all I noticed. But I understand that. I cant remember how long it took me to notice less shedding and thicker hair with the Mira hair oil. I know it didnt happen right away so I dont mind giving it all the time it needs!:lol: I dont know why Im shedding. Im really healthy as far as I know. My thyroid has been checked a few times and that is fine too. I love protein and eat lots of it. I have always shedded and to tell you the truth I really dont know if my current shedding is normal or more than normal! Ha-isnt that funny!:p Probably because I never gave shedding a second thought till I joined this site and realized how much less I was shedding with the Mira. So since I wasnt paying attention to it before, my shedding now could be normal. I just dont like it! I experienced thicker hair and I want it back.

I started drinking ACV on Monday. I know drinking it has alot of benefits to it so Im giving that a try. I have not put it on my hair yet as the smell gags me. You should see me drink 2tbsp in a glass of water. I hold my breath and then put a little almond butter in my mouth and swallow it before I breathe. I didnt even like coloring easter eggs when I was little because of the vinegar smell. I know there are eo out there but I have no idea how any of them can mask that smell-by my standards anyway! I know there is catnip and black tea I can try for shedding. I have high hopes for the emu oil. Heres keeping my fingers crossed.

louzen
June 1st, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hi! My hair today was a little softer and thats about all I noticed. But I understand that. I cant remember how long it took me to notice less shedding and thicker hair with the Mira hair oil. I know it didnt happen right away so I dont mind giving it all the time it needs!:lol: I dont know why Im shedding. Im really healthy as far as I know. My thyroid has been checked a few times and that is fine too. I love protein and eat lots of it. I have always shedded and to tell you the truth I really dont know if my current shedding is normal or more than normal! Ha-isnt that funny!:p Probably because I never gave shedding a second thought till I joined this site and realized how much less I was shedding with the Mira. So since I wasnt paying attention to it before, my shedding now could be normal. I just dont like it! I experienced thicker hair and I want it back.

I started drinking ACV on Monday. I know drinking it has alot of benefits to it so Im giving that a try. I have not put it on my hair yet as the smell gags me. You should see me drink 2tbsp in a glass of water. I hold my breath and then put a little almond butter in my mouth and swallow it before I breathe. I didnt even like coloring easter eggs when I was little because of the vinegar smell. I know there are eo out there but I have no idea how any of them can mask that smell-by my standards anyway! I know there is catnip and black tea I can try for shedding. I have high hopes for the emu oil. Heres keeping my fingers crossed.

Wishing you all the best - I really hope it works for you. I know what you mean about not realising about your shedding. Before I had trauma to my scalp I didn't give my hair or my scalp a second thought. I put any old shampoo on it, didn't have a clue about the ingredients and used to hack at the tangles with an old plastic paddle brush that I had owned for years (shudder!) But since the trauma, I'm now in-the-know due to the mountains of research I did to try and heal my scalp, which also led me to this wonderful site :)

Keep us updated :)

spookyghost
June 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
After using Emu oil for the second time, I can honestly tell you my shedding has decreased by half. No lie. Im pumped big time. I'm sold!

louzen
June 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
After using Emu oil for the second time, I can honestly tell you my shedding has decreased by half. No lie. Im pumped big time. I'm sold!

Wow, that's excellent news! I'm eyeing up the emu oil conditioner from the Emu Oil Well right now.... :)

louzen
July 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay, but I wanted to make a fair and thorough analysis of the emu oil that I bought from the link above.

I will be making comparisons with Emu Oil Well (http://www.emu-oil-well.co.uk/), since I had been using that emu oil beforehand (and was very happy with it, except it was a little pricey - £28 for 250ml). I'm going to rate the Ebay oil on consistency/smell and effectiveness.

Consistency/Smell - My initial thoughts about the oil were that it was quite runny (in comparison to Emu Oil Well which has a thicker consistency) and instead of smelling a bit like 'chicken fat', it smelt of some kind of EO which I couldn't quite pinpoint. I was a little worried since I'm highly sensitive to some fragrances, so sent the company an email asking if they had added any fragrance to it. They responded very quickly, saying that they sterilize their bottles with tea tree oil:

... the oil is put through a bottle filling trough that is sterilized along with the bottles with tea tree essential oil it can't be sold as a supplement. Pouring the oil through the sterilized trough and filling the sterilized bottles may taint the oil but there is nothing added to the emu oil what-so-ever. The consistany of our emu oil is due to the fact that it has been rendered (the removal of fatty deposits) twice ...

That put my mind at rest. I was also thinking that this emu oil would be perfect for those of you who hate the 'chicken fat' smell :)

Effectiveness - I use emu oil for my dry scalp and deeply oil my whole head if it's been particularly dry, and leave it on overnight to work its magic. Over the past couple of months I've noticed that the Emu Oil Well oil worked more effectively in getting rid of my scalp dryness.

So overall I would still recommend the Ebay oil, but I personally prefer the Emu Oil Well in consistency and effectiveness. The only downside of Emu Oil Well is that it smells of chicken fat but if it works I don't care :) I guess you would need to try it for yourself, to see if it works for you and your needs.

My husband still uses the Ebay oil for his psoriasis, and it's brilliant value for money and is the real, genuine thing. But for some reason, my scalp seemed to respond better to the oil from the Emu Oil Well.

Wildcat Diva
August 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM
I have a super old bottle of Emu oil in my cabinet, it smells a little like old oil, but not terrible. I'm going to use it anyway. The label says: Willow grove ranch, Moody, TX (pretty local for me, within the state anyways)
Here's some info from their site:

The American Emu Association has developed strict standards for Emu Oil and they recognize three grades of oil: Raw, Rendered and Refined. Willow Grove Emu Oil is refined oil. It is a natural refining process without the uses of strong chemicals. It is this refining process that removes the peroxides and free fatty acids that can allow the oil to go bad or rancid. If someone wants to sell you Emu Oil with perfumes or additives in it, run, don't walk away! Refined Emu Oil should have an indefinite shelf life.

Well that indefinite shelf life thingy is pretty cool because I am sure my bottle is upwards of nine or ten years old.

Wildcat Diva
August 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Here's the info for anyone in the US:

THE FINEST EMU OIL AT WHOLESALE PRICES!

WE ACCEPT VISA, MASTERCARD, and DISCOVER
Call us: 866-629-8935 Owners: Dave & Kay Shriner webmaster@willowgroveranch.com
EMU OIL

1 oz. pure emu oil
$7.00

plus $1.50 shipping
2 oz. pure emu oil $13.00 plus $2.50 shipping
8 oz. pure emu oil $35.00 plus $3.50 shipping
16 oz. pure emu oil $55.00 plus $6.00 shipping

Kitten1030
April 16th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Resurecting Emu Oil. I bought a bottle about a year ago. Had to have it, then forgot about it. I wanted to try it on my face for redness but I broke out. Going to try it in my hair. Anybody else use it, any tips? I feel like my hair has been shedding quite a bit more again so I think I will try it on my scalp, after quickly reading through old posts. Other than that, any suggestions? Yeahs, nays?

ErinLeigh
April 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I adore emu oil. It makes my hair smooth and seems to help it retain moisture.
I usually use it once a week on slightly damp hair. It is great mixed with shampoo or conditioner also. It is supposed to help with hair loss due to certain circumstances. I will link some articles when I am not on my phone.

sapphire-o
April 17th, 2014, 01:58 AM
I use it in a mix with some lighter oils like camellia oil. It feels very nice on my hair. Good for dry skin, too. Although I don't use it on my scalp. I think animal fats are good for skin and hair.

leilani
April 28th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I just bought some to combat postpartum hair loss, or just growth and happy scalp in general! Thinking since it penetrates so well I'll mix it in with my face serum too!

AcornMystic
April 29th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I just finished reading this whole thread and now I am very fascinated... I have a question.. Can emu oil conditioners be used for CO washers? I became a COer a month ago and my scalp is finally starting to have the shine and softness it had in my teenage years without becoming a greaseball. I don't plan on going back to my old shampoo ways so.. I'd really like to attempt to add this oil into my hair care if the oil isn't too heavy that it needs shampoo of some sort. If not through the CO washings then I'd be willing to swap my almond oil out of the mix with this in use as a leave-in for my length with my rosemary oil, but I'm dying to know the answer since I didn't see it posted. Anyone know?

Ingrid
April 30th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Just tried 100% pure Australian emu oil by Emu Spirit on my hair... I really like the effect! It doesn't make my hair greasy, and my ends no longer feel dry and are easy to detangle. I've also applied a little to my scalp and along the length of the hair, and it feels much more supple and manageable.

If any one's interested, this oil has a slightly thick consistency and has a feint poultry-like smell (not exactly chicken fat). It's also kind of whitish in colour, similar to half-melted coconut oil.

AcornMystic, it doesn't feel like a heavy oil. Generally CO is pretty good at washing out even heavier oils but I think it won't be a problem with emu oil since it's supposed to be absorbed.

AcornMystic
April 30th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Just tried 100% pure Australian emu oil by Emu Spirit on my hair... I really like the effect! It doesn't make my hair greasy, and my ends no longer feel dry and are easy to detangle. I've also applied a little to my scalp and along the length of the hair, and it feels much more supple and manageable.

If any one's interested, this oil has a slightly thick consistency and has a feint poultry-like smell (not exactly chicken fat). It's also kind of whitish in colour, similar to half-melted coconut oil.

AcornMystic, it doesn't feel like a heavy oil. Generally CO is pretty good at washing out even heavier oils but I think it won't be a problem with emu oil since it's supposed to be absorbed.

Thank you for answering my question, I feel more confident about using it. I think after I finish this collagen formula condish I got I'll give it a go.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good emu conditioner that would be suitable for a COer? I'll probably end up experimenting, but I'd rather go into this with a good product behind me.

MismaMuerte
May 16th, 2014, 04:13 AM
I've heard that emu oil has great anti aging/moisturizing properties, but I think those properties may transfer to the hair also?
Perhaps there's a study out there on emu oil and hair?

Shadow
June 13th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Have just returned to the Forum since deciding to grow my hair out after keeping it short for years. Was reminded about Emu Oil and picked up a bottle. One DT and then a drop applied with some argan oil before blowdrying and I am in love with my hair again after just three days! It's soft, shiny, manageable and looks and feels thicker/fuller. Why did I ever stop using it? Love this stuff :crush:

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I mixed it in with all the other nice oils I have into a hair oil cocktail, along with aloe vera gel, and put it in my mister bottle, diluted with distilled water, and use the emu oil with aloe vera gel + my face serum, all at once. I think I should try it plain so I can identify the wonderfulness better!