PDA

View Full Version : Calling all long Hair Models..

suicides_eve
March 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
How ya doing??

Xepher
March 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
No experience with this, but I've thought about doing it myself.

Only problem is, I don't think how nice your hair is, is really a factor. From what I know and have heard, hair models are people who have to let stylists do anything they want to their hair for the show. Cut it, bleach it, dye it, style it a hundred different ways, etc.

Be that the case, I doubt you'll want to risk harming your hair that much. Thats the reason why I decided not to do it. I could be wrong, though :cool:

slz
March 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
If your hair is really long, you can get into f*tish modeling (note : it doesn't have to be nude / sexy modeling at all, not to be confused). They will not do anything harmful to your hair, you just show it off :D . I did that once, for an artist, he was a friend of my sister's. I have no idea how to go about it if you don't know anybody on the scene though - maybe I'd start with contacting photographers from their websites ?

yellowchariot
March 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hey suicides_eve, if it's something you feel like you would enjoy doing, then go for it!

"You'll Cah'n Doo'it!" - Adam Sandler/Rob Snyder :thumbsup:

Roseate
March 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
I've known numerous people who've done "hair modeling"- one thing about it is that you normally have to give up a certain amount of control over your hair.

It may just be heat styling, teasing, etc, but they often want to do a little snipping or color (temporary or not)- things that some LHC members shy away from. You can just call salons and see if they need models, or if they know someone who does.

If you're looking for modeling that is less about showing off the stylist's skills and more about just showing off your hair, you could start by creating a profile at a site like ModelMayhem- many photographers I know get their subjects from this type of site. You may not get paid at first, but as you build your portfolio you'll get more work. Enjoy!

BelleBot
March 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
I've been asked numerous time to do hair modelling. I've always refused though on the basis I'd have to give up control of my hair to whatever the photographer or stylist wants.

The only other sort, as already mentioned is f*t*sh modelling, but you usually need very long hair for that, beyond classic really.

But as Roseate has said, you could create a ModelMayhem profile and see if you can get any work through there. Just remember most models start off doing TFP/TFCD (time for prints/time for cd) work and don't actually get paid as you need to build up a portfolio first.
Also never ever ever pay a photographer if you want to get into modelling. Only pay if you want personal shots such as portraits or don't want the photographer to keep the photos.
Good luck

Gingevere
March 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
I would try to locate a body parts modeling agency near you. There's a pretty well-known one called Body Parts Models (http://www.bodypartsmodels.com/home.html), but it's in Beverly Hills. You can send them a photo, but they'll probably need you to travel if they're interested in representing you.

Just keep in mind it's not enough for your hair to be beautiful, it must be truly exceptional. Beautiful color and texture and flawless condition are vital. Extraordinary length would be a bonus, since it's rare. As far as giving up control over your hair, I read an article once the covered three successful hair models. They all had totally natural hair and said that they refused to let clients blow dry or heat style it. Surprising... my guess is that you probably only get to make those kinds of demands after working for a while and building a good portfolio and reputation.

enfys
March 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I had a friend who modelled for salons and they did terrible styles on her. I think they described them as "edgy". She gave it up for the sake of her self esteem in the end because she didnt need another asymetrical fringe in her life.

I'd be wary of salon modelling if you don't heat style or use lots of hairspray even if it's just updo type modelling.

For the body parts modelling, I can't give you any advice other than to have fun.

I don't konw how you feel about life modelling (almost a total tangent I know) but you get life models who don't go in the nip and they still would get to show of their hair while helping artists develop their skills.

Oskimosa
March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hey suicides_eve, if it's something you feel like you would enjoy doing, then go for it!

"You'll Cah'n Doo'it!" - Adam Sandler/Rob Snyder :thumbsup:

Lol, love how you spelled that pronunciation out :p

shadowclaw
March 2nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
If you don't want to specifically be a hair model and would like to model in general (like clothes and stuff) and show off your hair while doing it, malls and some stores do annual fashion shows. I know Fashion Bug does it every year and has a sign up sheet in the store, and one of my local malls has had fashion shows in the past. Don't know if they still do, because I don't go to the mall anymore, but when they did, they played announcements over the radio and had you sign up at customer service.

Also, in my area, probably twice a year there's some sort of modeling interview thing at a hotel where several agencies come. You just call a number they play on the radio and print in the newspaper to make your appointment. I don't know if they have hair model people there, though.

suicides_eve
March 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your help everyone! A friend of mine got a hold of a lady who does hair styles for weddings and they are always looking for longish hair to do in fancy up dos. I will be looking more into some of the other suggestions listed above. Thanks again!