PDA

View Full Version : Long hair intimidating?

Tutti_Frutti
March 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
I read in another thread some people think long hair is intimidating. Did someone ever told you this, or have you ever experienced it? I'm very curious about this. Because why would it be intimidating?

Schnee
March 2nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
I have (unwillingly) smacked a poor sales assistant on the head with my braid, so yes, long hair can be intimidating when used as a weapon of destruction, or a whip...:D

myrrhmaiden
March 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I think I might be intimidated to approach someone with gorgeous, long hair IRL. It can be so awe-inspiring, like when you get nervous and stutter in front of your crush.

Loreley
March 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
I've never heard that. :p
But I read on a forum that according to many people very long hair is disgusting. :angry::justy:

windinherhair
March 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Long hair can be very beautiful to many people. I've had someone tell me "I wish I could grow my hair as long as yours." Some people can only grow their hair a certain length, or they lose the patience and want to cut. Or they feel they just don't want to fool with taking care of it so they keep their hair shorter. The person that made that comment to me, may have felt intimidated. I didn't know her, and not sure the reasons why she "wished" she could grow her hair that long but she obviously loved long hair.

frodolaughs
March 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Long hair can be dangerous to others when it's in a braid and the person with the long hair is spinning around on a dance floor. Not that I would know anything about that.

Lamb
March 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Just about anything about one's personality or appearance is described as "intimidating" if it's far out of the norm. :rolleyes: It's a social risk to stand out in a crowd, to deviate from the standard. I wouldn't think too much about it, heck, I've heard short hair on women labelled intimidating. :rolleyes:

ArienEllariel
March 2nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
I think anytime you deviate from a socially accepted norm some people will feel intimidated. If you're doing something that is different, it can make them uncomfortable. I think this happens with me in certain situations (not because of long hair) but because I have different beliefs on certain subjects than the socially accepted norm. It happens and it can't be helped. Stick to your guns! :)

Anlbe
March 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Nope never experience that at all, on the contrary the only effect I've noticed from having long hair is that it appeals to children very strongly.

Amraann
March 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I have not ever heard it put in that term. But, I think it could be intimidating that people can be dedicated to grow their hair.

bumblebums
March 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Well, I do remember seeing a B-movie once where one of the characters used a ponytail braid as a weapon. I think the film was set in a women's prison :) It wouldn't intimidate me, though.

Tutti_Frutti
March 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
If long hair is used as a weapon it's definitely intimidating. :p

I've never heard that. :p
But I read on a forum that according to many people very long hair is disgusting. :angry::justy:

Maybe they are intimidated because very long hair isn't the norm and they feel uncomfortable or something. So they'll just say that it's disgusting. (I'm just brainstorming?) For example when some girls see a beautiful girl and say to eachother that she's ugly, imo definitely because they're intimidated at that moment.

anneisanne
March 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM
Long hair can be dangerous to others when it's in a braid and the person with the long hair is spinning around on a dance floor. Not that I would know anything about that.

But it can also be entertaining for the person doing the spinning!

I do contra-dance, and when I go dancing with braided pigtails people who spin me tend to watch my pigtails and spin me fast enough that they'll fly through the air :)

frodolaughs
March 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
But it can also be entertaining for the person doing the spinning!

I do contra-dance, and when I go dancing with braided pigtails people who spin me tend to watch my pigtails and spin me fast enough that they'll fly through the air :)

Oh yes, it is very fun and entertaining! I enjoy the spinning dances. I have, however, been both a thwacker and a thwackee, and it can be painful. :waltz:

Carolyn
March 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Long hair is out of the norm. Someone who dares to live life out of the norm can be intimidating to some people. It scares them. Anything different can lead to assumptions and sometimes name calling.

enfys
March 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I've heard of shaved or very short hair described as intimadating far more than long hair because of the thug/hooligan/skinhead stereotypes.

Maybe females are more intimidated by long hair on other women in a "does she look sexier than me" way, based on surveys that say men prefer long hair?

And hair sticks can definately be intimidating!

Keildra
March 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
makes me think of that cascada song
*starts singing* "Evacuate the dance floor"

Oskimosa
March 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Just about anything about one's personality or appearance is described as "intimidating" if it's far out of the norm. :rolleyes: It's a social risk to stand out in a crowd, to deviate from the standard. I wouldn't think too much about it, heck, I've heard short hair on women labelled intimidating. :rolleyes:

I agree with you, Lamb. People find all sorts of reasons to be intimidated by others.

Kirry-Folk
March 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
No way! I think people with long hair are usually friendlier and easier to approach if I need to know the time or something.