PDA

View Full Version : Pampering and splits

julliams
March 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM
Ok so I had my last cut at a hairdresser around November 2008 when I had my dumb layers cut in. I've been growing since and I HAD been using a ceramic straightener twice a week.

I found LHC in September 2009 and did a S & D but couldn't find any splits. I should add that I have 20/20 vision and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if there had been some, I would have found them.

My hair was dry and so I started doing SMTs for moisture etc. I now deep treat with SMT and coconut milk twice a week, am SLS and cone free and use coconut, and jojoba oils on my hair every other day. I haven't touched a hair straightener since September 2009.

Since then I have been finding more and more splits. It started with finding maybe 4 per session, to now finding about 20. Some start right at the bottom, some almost 1.5cm up the hairshaft, some are multi splits. They are always on the longest hairs that start at the nape of my neck, not in the canopy.

One thing that is different in the last month is that I have begun using a Wooden Quill brush which I love due to the massaging effect on my scalp. I never really brushed before so I don't know if this is the problem or I am just overdue for a trim. I don't rip through my hair and I don't brush when my hair is wet.

It's like - I'm caring for my hair more, and it's paying me back by splitting.

Any thoughts?

I find that I'm doing a S& D any time I get the chance and I always find a few.

Edit - bugger just found one in the canopy!!!

Sissy
March 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
Hi,

I also use a Wooden Quill Brush (have two actually, Urban Spa and Earth Therapeutics). I also have issues with split ends, which I have always had even before switching to a wooden quill brush so I don't think the brush has effected this. I am not sure about your situation, but I wouldn't think the wooden brush would be harmful, unless your hair is so fragile that you cannot use a brush at all because I think of all the brush choices wooden brushes, without balls on the end, are the best. One thing that has helped me with splits is to use a seamless bone comb from Hairsense off Ebay. I have the large detangling rake (aka the viking oar). I have also found catnip tea soaks/rinses to be beneficial (not doing long enough yet to be totally sure but so far good results) and many people have had great luck with catnip at reducing/eliminating their split end issues. There is a thread all about it here on LHC. I have also found Camellia oil seems to work nicely as a leave-in along with the catnip treatments. I hope this helps. Overall, no I don't think a wooden quill brush from The Body Shop or the other ones I own would be harmful to ones hair as long as they're not raking it through. I mean I guess it might be better to just use a wide toothed comb, but I love to brush my hair every now and again. I just have to remember that a brush is not for detangling! :)

Svenja
March 2nd, 2010, 05:43 AM
As cone-shampoos tend to deal off ends they disguise splits. It could be that your hair eventually got rid of most of the layers of cones on your hair and now reveals its "real self".

Carolyn
March 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
If you are detangling your hair prior to brushing with your quill brush, I doubt that's the culprit. My guess is that it's damage from your hair straightening days. That plus as your hair get longer and older on the ends, damage shows up. It's just something a lot of us have to deal with. It's part of having long hair. Be as gentle as you can and pamper your ends. SMTs are wonderful as is a little oil as a leave in. I do a lot to try to minimize splits but I've faced the fact I'll always have them.

curlylocks85
March 2nd, 2010, 06:49 AM
I am no expert, but the aging of your hair could cause it. If you are finding splits closer to the ends than any other part of your hair then that could be the reason.

Do you wear your hair down? I have read that some people around your length experience splits if they wear their hair down.

Oh, I just realized you said your hair is layered. Right there could be your culprit. Layers tend to grow into each other with causes friction, which in turn could be causing, the splits at the bottom.

Maybe the friction of sleeping causes the ones at the canopy. :shrug:

I would not worry too much. Splits are natural and since you are doing s&d's you should be right on top of them.

restourceful
March 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Julliams, I'm right there with ya! It seems like the worse I treated my hair the better its condition seemed. I'm struggling to find the right routine that makes hair, scalp, and skin all happy at the same time. Before LHC I could go a year with no trims, heat styling, sls & cones, aggressive/abusive brushing and combing, and never have a split end! I think I've finally decided my hair likes to be coated in some way, whether it be cones or AVG. Now to find the perfect method...*sigh*

julliams
March 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Restourceful, I think we have very similar hair. My pic in the siggy is just very curly because I wore it that day, but it mostly looks like your siggy pic. I think the texture is similar to mine. It may just be something about our hair type. I think I like the feel of my hair better and I like the idea of the cone free SLS free thing I've got going.

I'm going with the old hair idea. That makes sense.

As for wearing my hair down, I used to do that constantly and since September last year I have worn my hair up so much more so it's not that. In fact, I'm wondering if wearing it up could be doing it, you know, handling it more than normal?

Who knows. I'll just stay on top of it with S & D and resign myself to the fact that it's going to be trimming time soon.

Juliette

restourceful
March 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Julliams, I wonder about wearing it up all the time, too, since most of the time I twist. I've been looking around for a bun that doesn't do too much twisting but that I can still do solidly with my layers. I've had a bun cage forever but I've never used it much. I may give it a go for a while and see what happens.

I'll be hanging out doing S&D with you, too.:D