PDA

View Full Version : Plane hair

Capybara
March 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM
Whenever I go on a plane, my hair instantly gets "gross" feeling. It doesn't matter if I washed it just before the plane ride, a day before, or two days before, it can feel perfectly fine before I get on the plane but I absolutely have to wash it after, no matter how long -or short- the trip was. I'm wondering what the causes of this are, and can it be prevented? I fly frequently, and have tried wearing scarves to cover my hair, changing my routine, etc. but nothing seems to help. I know that there is much more radiation higher up in the atmosphere than on the ground, and this was suggested to me as a reason for making my hair feel gross, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the air quality on a plane-they must not have the exact same concentrations of various chemicals as on the ground!

Does anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance :flower:

zen_oven
March 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Ugh, I get this too! I hate it. I don't really have any advice. . . I just always have to wash it when I get to my destination.

teela1978
March 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM
Flying puts you in a small box of stagnant air with a hundred or so strangers in close proximity. Showers and a change of clothing are usually a priority for me after flying :shrug:

deviantkitten
March 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
this happens to me too! not just my hair, but my face instantly gets horribly oily. i walk off the plane with pimples i didn't have when i came aboard! i think this is because of the recycled air. they just recirculate the air through the plane. i have no idea how to help my hair on the plane, except to wear it up with a scarf over or something. i always carry a bar of face soap. halfway through the flight or whenever i feel like i need to, i go into the bathroom and wash my face. my family lives in california. i used to live in virginia, and now i live in germany, so i always manage to pop into the bathroom during layovers as well to wash my face, and my bangs.

Roseate
March 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, the dry, stale, recycled air is so awful for hair and skin! I find a little relief by taking along a teeny mister bottle with aloe/water/oil, but I still wash up ASAP when I get off the plane.

My parents lived 22 plane-hours away from me for ten years, so I feel your pain!

zeldagirl7491
March 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM
This happens to me as well. (also on road trips)
Not only my hair gets gross, but also my hair.

Eryka
March 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Oh yeah, my skin gets this way too. Doesn't matter how recently I washed it and fussed over it. By the time I de-plane, I feel scuzzy and gross.

SurprisingWoman
March 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
I think the worst I have ever smelled was after flying from Miami to Chicago to SLC.

Ugh

I don't think there is a think you can do except wash asap. Sorry.

EdG
March 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
I need to wash everything after being on a plane. My hair and clothing will have this weird aroma of jet exhaust and other chemicals (possibly from cleaners or the lavatory). :tmi:

At least smoking hasn't been allowed on domestic flights for many years. At one time, airplane air was even worse.
Ed

adiapalic
March 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Oh my goodness. I thought it was just me? My entire body feels nasty after two planes from Upstate SC to San Diego, CA. I actually smell. It was bad.

amaiaisabella
March 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Honestly, I walk off the plane and feel like I have a film on me. That's why I always shower the day before, not the day of, the flight. No point in taking 2 showers in one day! I'm flying Thursday and that's the plan for me :)

christine1989
March 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
The air on planes is very drying for skin and hair alike (plus the hassel of going through all of the security checks at the airport.)

Capybara
March 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one!
Thanks for the replies everyone (:

Lamb
March 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Happens to me every time. It's a bit better if I wear a headcovering (usually a cotton snood).

GeoJ
March 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I always end up with the feeling needing to shower and wash my hair after a flight, and I ALWAYS get those annoying deep zits from airplane rides- nothing I have tried has prevented those. To help with the dry air discomfort I now often wear a big scarf, and when I can (can't wear it if DD is awake) I put it over my face and head- this helps hold the humidity in. The only thing I do for my hair is to oil it well and bun it for the flight. I usually do a braided bun so I can take it down if I want to rest my head, and still have the hair contained.

In general I dislike flying, especially economy class, and especially domestic flights in the US. (By the way, so far the best domestic flights I've been on have been in India- even on a short flight they gave full meals, in the economy class, too).

spidermom
March 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
I've never noticed this, but now that's it has been pointed out to me, it will probably become a problem. Sigh...............sometimes ignorance is bliss.

(PS - I generally braid my hair before flight.)

BrightEyes7
March 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I get this too... I hate it. Also on road trips. I'll spend time on my hair to look nice and no matter what I do I look like I haven't bathed in days.

I hate it!! My face too. My make-up gets all goopy and runny. Not cute!

JenniferNoel
March 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm a student private pilot, been flying for eight years, just recently started taking it seriously, but my problem is different. I fly ultralights and other open aircraft, and wind gets under my helmet and all of the air particles end up in my hair. One time, I just had it braided and was wearing sunglasses/headphones but no helmet, and my hair felt really strange, not coated or dry, just... stringy, like a buildup. That's totally different though, that's just wind/environmental damage.

Airliners fly in the stratosphere level of the atmosphere, where the air is much less dense, and the cabins of the airliners are pressurized (active pumping of compressed air), plus you're in there with a bunch of airborne bacteria from the other passengers, etc... lots of explanations.

MissMandyElizab
March 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Ugh! I have had this happen !!!!!I use the facae cleaning cloth from nutregina and water oil and fragrance in spray bottle .

florenonite
March 3rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
It's not just my hair that needs washed after a flight, but my body and clothes, too. Even if I've just showered that morning and am taking a quick domestic flight (1-1.5 hours), I'm gross by the time I get off the plane. It must be the lack of air circulation or something.

templeofvenus
March 4th, 2010, 02:27 AM
yep me too I feel like I need a long hot soak after a flight. Strangely my hair often gets static in it on a flight haha wierd! :)