PDA

View Full Version : taking back princess Leia buns

Elainehali
March 1st, 2010, 12:32 AM
Has anyone else wished they could wear double buns like princess Leia and not hear Starwars references all day?

I wish the double bun wasn't her signature style so I could wear it! Any ideas how we could make this style different?

Or Do any of you want to wear your hair like Leia for a day and count Starwars remarks?:luke:

rogue_psyche
March 1st, 2010, 12:43 AM
Other than a Leia costume I wore in the fifth grade, I have never worn Leia buns. I fear they make my face look too wide. I might use that modified sock bun technique one day just to see how it looks, though.

ravenreed
March 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM
Do you just mean double buns over the ears? Because I wear double buns all the time and never hear a Star Wars comment. I just wear them in the back, either high or low.

Has anyone else wished they could wear double buns like princess Leia and not hear Starwars references all day?

I wish the double bun wasn't her signature style so I could wear it! Any ideas how we could make this style different?

Or Do any of you want to wear your hair like Leia for a day and count Starwars remarks?:luke:

BlueMuse
March 1st, 2010, 02:19 AM
I wore double sock buns on Saturday and no one said a thing about Leia except for me. I just got one "that's really cool and must have been super difficult".

But the two sparkly butterfly clips and the huge dangly kanzashi might have been a bit distracting.

Diamondbell
March 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
I too wear double buns all the time, in variations:
1) in double figure-8
2) double braided bun
3) make two dutch braids and then make 2 double buns out of it.
4) double cinnamon bun.
All are done are the back of the head, not covering the ears. These are very comfortable.

ravenreed
March 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
I find them extremely comfortable because they don't pull the way a heavy bun can. The weight is better distributed.

enfys
March 1st, 2010, 05:34 AM
I only think of Leia when they cover the ears.

I've found any kind of braided, loopy,buns just out of the ordinary style gets Leia comments, but I quite like that so I don't mind one bit! I'm the same size with a not too dissimilar face, so I've got no chance.

spidermom
March 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM
I wear double buns sometimes, placed in the back. I usually only get "the comment" once from DH.

gmdiaz
March 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
I used to love wearing this hairstyle as a kid. . .and then StarWars happened! I love this hair style. It's easy and pretty and very comfortable.

I tried changing it up but ended up looking like a had a couple of braided cell-phones on either side of my head. *snark*

I still like the style and definitely think you should take it back! Maybe just wear then pushed back, towards the back a little more. . .instead of covering your ears?

JenniferNoel
March 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Being a huge Star Wars fan... the comments really don't bother me.

:luke:

FrannyG
March 1st, 2010, 08:06 AM
Every hairstyle has been worn by someone else at some point. When I wear double braids I get "Heidi". The list goes on and on. I just wouldn't let it bother me. It's not like Princess Leia is a bad thing. :)

pinkbunny
March 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM
I wear double buns, but I wear them high and a little to the back, and usually with bright velvet or "fake hair" scrunchies around them - and I still get Princess Leia comments!!! I just shrug it off with the rest of the redundant comments I get from having long hair or certain updos...

(BTW, anyone else love the Spaceballs spoof when Princess Vespa takes off her headphone "buns"? lmao!)

Magdalene
March 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
I wear them all the time, and don't really get comments. I think the difference is I don't wear them low covering the ears (which is almost impossible IMO without "help")

shadowclaw
March 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM
I wish I got more Princess Leia comments!

I've only worn double buns over my ears once, and I found it to be uncomfortable (I don't like things touching my ears). I actually only got one Leia comment.

I wear her Cloud City style now and then, but only my Star Wars loving friend realizes that it's a Star Wars style. Everyone else just says, "Oh, how neat."

lambhair
March 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Everytime I wear a crown braid to work I get lots of, "Hi! Leia" comments. I think its funny and don't mind.
Never tried the double buns, I don't think I have quite the volume of hair needed and my buns would be wimpy.
=)

GeoJ
March 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
I have done variations of that style a few times. I don't mind the princess Leia comments; I am another that looks enough like her for people to notice. Once however, I wore them big and over my ears- that attracted a little too much attention. One man wanted pictures with me, then hugged and kissed me (only on the cheek) in front of his girlfriend and my husband!

I should probably mention that my hair used to be thicker...but it has now been more than 4 years since DD was born, so I don't think I'll ever get it back.

Madame J
March 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
I wore double buns, higher up than Leia buns, when I had shorter hair, and my husband said I looked like Chun-Li from Street Fighter. So I threw an imaginary fireball at him...

Angela_Rose
March 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Ohrrghghh... I *hate* that comment. I love wearing my hair in double buns, and even if I braid it and put it up high on my head (think Abby from NCIS on tv)!! So now I don't wear them anymore... I get that stupid comment a *lot.*

yellowchariot
March 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM

I agree with JenniferNoel,
Even though the side buns are generally associated with Princess Leia, nevertheless I'm sure it would only yield positive comments, or even "how did you do that?" comments/questions.

As far as "taking it back" and away from Princess Leia, you could try variations or something? Sorry I'm not much help!

MissMandyElizab
March 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
here are mine and i got (from a first grader) YOu look like her only fatter!!!! Oooooo i was so sad!!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4928&pictureid=65522

Fiferstone
March 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM
I can't do them. As a finey, they look scrawny and sad :(.

jasper
March 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
When I go double, I put them low and on the back of my head instead of the sides. The comments I get are about how it looks like little girl hair.

But two on the sides don't always register Leia. Here's another silly character with the over ears buns:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7ZiyOnu_MrM/SDcl_mRap5I/AAAAAAAAAxE/tCbRY40QMEM/s320/helga.jpg
It's Honoria Glossip from Jeeves and Wooster.

formunkyfrommom
March 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
out of amusement i would like to point out to OP that they have been "princess leia buns" since before you were born hahha.....i just thought it was funny that you wanted to "reclaim them" even though they have been called that before the majority of us had any hair to make into double buns

i dont mean this to sound rude at all...trust me...i am only 23....i just thought it was cute

Smokering
March 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM
Nothing wrong with Princess Leia! She was an ace shot, stood up well under torture and coped with the loss of her home planet with remarkable aplomb. Let's give the lady some respect. :p

I get Leia comments with crown and Heidi braids (oddly enough, not Heidi comments!). I wore double buns on the top of my head recently - I thought they looked like Mickey Mouse ears, but an obnoxious teenager at church told me they looked like devil horns. (And that she didn't approve of my dress or boots. Charming child. She told my sister today that she didn't like her T-shirt either... we've all mastered the art of beaming vaguely and changing the subject.)

I'm not sure a hairstyle as iconic as Leia's will ever be dissociated with Star Wars - even if they come into mainstream fashion they'll probably be known as Leia buns. I don't find the style terribly attractive anyway - they make my face look wider, as a PP said, and I've also seen them make long, narrow faces seem longer and narrower in a "you have twice as much bun as face" kind of way. So I'm happy to let Leia keep 'em.

ravenreed
March 1st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Your first paragraph gave me the giggles.

Nothing wrong with Princess Leia! She was an ace shot, stood up well under torture and coped with the loss of her home planet with remarkable aplomb. Let's give the lady some respect. :p

I get Leia comments with crown and Heidi braids (oddly enough, not Heidi comments!). I wore double buns on the top of my head recently - I thought they looked like Mickey Mouse ears, but an obnoxious teenager at church told me they looked like devil horns. (And that she didn't approve of my dress or boots. Charming child. She told my sister today that she didn't like her T-shirt either... we've all mastered the art of beaming vaguely and changing the subject.)

I'm not sure a hairstyle as iconic as Leia's will ever be dissociated with Star Wars - even if they come into mainstream fashion they'll probably be known as Leia buns. I don't find the style terribly attractive anyway - they make my face look wider, as a PP said, and I've also seen them make long, narrow faces seem longer and narrower in a "you have twice as much bun as face" kind of way. So I'm happy to let Leia keep 'em.

IcarusBride
March 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
I wore double sock buns on Saturday and no one said a thing about Leia except for me. I just got one "that's really cool and must have been super difficult".

But the two sparkly butterfly clips and the huge dangly kanzashi might have been a bit distracting.

Would so totally like to see pictures of this!

TheLuckyLurker
March 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM
I wore double buns, higher up than Leia buns, when I had shorter hair, and my husband said I looked like Chun-Li from Street Fighter. So I threw an imaginary fireball at him...

lol! I did the Chun-Li style too!

teela1978
March 1st, 2010, 11:51 PM
I always wore them high and called them tinkerbell buns... because I'm not a princess, I'm a fairy.

Milui Elenath
March 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM

This :agree: and also I love odango pigtails (like Sailor Moon) sometimes I cheat and use those plastic quickbuns with the teeth. Sssh :run:

JamieLeigh
March 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Haha, I'm one of the ones who doesn't mind the Star Wars remarks. :eyebrows:

Be that as it may, I can't do them over my ears because my hair is too thin below BSL still. :rolleyes: But I love to do twin cinnabuns at crown height.

piffyanne
January 17th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Take THIS, zombie-thread!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/406159_10151180546137282_112998548_n.jpg

It's supported with a single long spinpin screwed in from the back on each side (wrap braid in cinnabun formation, screw in spinpin), and then a u-pin holds the front of the bun to the scalp hair to keep them from flapping open to startle people with my ears.. :)

jacqueline101
January 17th, 2013, 02:38 AM
I might do it some day.

HumanBean
January 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I DID do it this past Halloween (socks were used). That's my son next to me - an Enderman from Minecraft.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff470/Blbrady/5b2c381f342cc4537cebc71503243b15.jpg