PDA

View Full Version : Help, my scalp is a war zone!

Kaileida
February 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think I have dandruff-- that's the yellowish greasy gunk, right? I just have enormous white flakes all over my scalp, but especially near my hairline (of course... right where it's most visible :rolleyes: ). They're kinda crunchy. Sometimes. Sometimes they're super soft and fall apart if I try to take them out of my hair.

I've had problems with this as long as I can remember! And I've used a lot of different kinds of shampoos over the years.

When my scalp started getting too itchy to bear I switched to Tea Tree Oil (no sulfates) shampoo and conditioner, but I think that might have actually made the flakes worse. The various shampoos I have lying around are baby shampoo, Suave Naturals, Tea Tree Oil, and V05 Balancing shampoo. Any idea which of these would be best to stop the intense flakeage? Would CO help? (I know WO doesn't. I tried that for the better part of a year and I was miserable the entire time.) What else should I try?

I'm gross and I'm miserable because of it! Any help is muchly appreciated...

spidermom
February 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Have you talked to a doctor or dermatologist about this? Problems aren't always caused or helped by what you use on the outside; it could be something on the inside - something lacking in your diet, for example.

Schmoomunitions
February 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
What about Pine tar soap/shampoo. I use it maybe once a month when my hair is itchy and dandruffy. I got some soap on etsy.

Kaileida
February 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Have you talked to a doctor or dermatologist about this? Problems aren't always caused or helped by what you use on the outside; it could be something on the inside - something lacking in your diet, for example.

This is a good point. I did mention it to my doctor when I was 12 or so, and she recommended tea tree oil. I'll bring it up at my next physical.

ravenreed
February 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Have you tried an ACV rinse? My scalp gets itchy and gross but since I started CO and rinsing with ACV, it is much, much happier.

artemis
February 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have the same problem. Scritching helps some, but doesn't take care of it completely. For me, I think it's a dry skin issue, so it's worse in the winter.

Capybara
February 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you're having troubles with your hair! :flower:
I would suggest talking to your doctor as well. There's the possibility that you may have psoriasis, or another scalp condition. (should be easily treatable :) )

Have you taken a vacation to a sunny destination lately? I find that, if I forget to apply sunscreen to my scalp or wear a hat, I burn really badly in my part and this causes the most awful flakes :o

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Tinose
February 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Come to think of it, I used to get (occasional, minor) flakes like that, but I haven't since using CV shampoo bars and making the effort to scritch my scalp regularly. I do second (third, whatever) the recommendation to check with a doctor, if you're getting a lot of that, but in the meantime you might just try lots of scalp massages and switching to a bar shampoo where you have to massage your scalp just to get it clean.

pelicano
March 1st, 2010, 02:46 AM
Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis to me, which is what I have (especially since it's worse around the hairline).

The best thing I've found is vegetable glycerine, which I slap on at night then wash off the following day. I'm also trying magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) at the moment, which seems to help a bit.

countryhopper
March 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM
Not sure if this will work, but I'll throw it out there...

How about a sugar scalp srub to get rid of the flakes? And then you can try moisturizing your scalp afterwards. It might be like when you get dry, ashy hands, and after exfoliating and moisturising, the skin is soft and hydrated; no more flakes

Dreams_in_Pink
March 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM
Not sure if this will work, but I'll throw it out there...

How about a sugar scalp srub to get rid of the flakes? And then you can try moisturizing your scalp afterwards. It might be like when you get dry, ashy hands, and after exfoliating and moisturising, the skin is soft and hydrated; no more flakes

i second this.

I had flakes all my life and antifungal stuff are only making it worse. The only thing that works for me is regular scalp oilings that's not rinsed away. if the reason of your flakes is dry scalp, your scalp will already soak all the oil you put on it in a few hours and you won't need to wash it away. Facial moisturizers work fine too and they also don't make your roots too oily (watch out for cones though, the least thing you'd want to do is having to clarify your roots, which will dry the HELL outta your scalp).

oh, and don't use strong detergents and anything containing alcohol. I'm planning to go WO with scalp scrubs.

Darkhorse1
March 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Best thing to do is see a doctor. Without knowing the real cause, treating it with anything suggested might aggrivate it.

If it is dandruff, it's a fungus and it lays below the scalp. That is why dandruff shampoos such as nizoral and head and shoulders recommend leaving it on scalp for several minutes to allow the medicated stuff to sink in.

I've had dandruff bad, and the itching is soooo annoying. I used nizoral, which worked well, but caused itching as it was killing the fungus. Two treatments with nizoral and it was wayyy better. Then, I got a new Head and Shoulders with 2% zinc pyrothine (spl?) and that was amazing and you can use head and shoulders with colored hair.

Check with your doctor and they can determine what the problem is.

Best of luck--I know that itch well :(

kjirstiben
March 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
You know, I have serious problems with this, too... in fact, everyone on one side of my family has scalp flaking problems. I have extremely sensitive skin and have come to the conclusion that pretty much ANYTHING that I put on it exacerbates the trouble. For me, the "less is more" approach has helped both skin and scalp... I've tried a Water Only routine with good results--I suspect that I'm mildly allergic, or maybe just sensitive, to a lot of the ingredients in normal shampoos and conditioners.

habioku
March 3rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
I had terrible scalp problems too (dandruff with itching, partly bleeding scalp from scratching). Me helped:

- oil massage of the scalp befor washing
- use shampoo without: alcohol, glycerin, sulfat tensids, and 'cones (for example babyshampoo) or wash with baking soda (2 teaspoon in 500ml water)

Get well soon! :smile: