PDA

View Full Version : Keep the 'wet hair' look

Hevroth
February 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM
hi everyone :) so i love my long hair, but i really like how it looks when i just come out of the shower - i'd like to keep it looking that way the whole day. any advice? i don't want it actually wet, i just want it to *look* wet. i'm trying to get that darker look to my hair and to get the strands to cluster in little groups like that, lol. also i'm trying to keep it from frizzing up cuz when my hair dries it gets big :p

here is how i'd like it to stay the entire day:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Hevroth/IMG00005-20100224-1845.jpg

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Hevroth/IMG00006-20100224-1846.jpg

here is how my hair looks if it dries naturally:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Hevroth/IMG00011-20100225-1308.jpg

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Hevroth/IMG00018-20100225-1312.jpg

and how it looks after i straighten it:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Hevroth/IMG00021-20100225-1353.jpg

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/Hevroth/IMG00022-20100225-1354.jpg

well thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

peronella
February 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Gel?

I used to use tons of gel and twist my hair into little twisties and it looked wet all day. But even without twisties, Gel will do it I think.

Hevroth
February 28th, 2010, 02:16 AM
hm i was thinking about that, but i kinda shied away from it not wanting my hair to get stiff at all, i'd like to keep the texture it has when it's dry and straightened, just with the wet look. lol idk if wat i want is at all possible :p

Heavenly Locks
February 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
What about oiling it then? You can get the piece-ey look with oil and it won't be stiff :)

peronella
February 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM
well, you could stop washing it, or oil it. it wont be stiff like gel but its not gonna feel like clean straight hair either....

ETA: or pomade, for a softer stiffness...

Hevroth
February 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Hm ok, I think I'll try using gel first and see how that works out and compare it with using oil. Thanks for the replies! :)

GlassEyes
February 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
You could use gel and scrunch the crunch out after it dries. Kind of detracts from the wet look though.

I'd look at Got2BeGlued's stuff. They have pomade and serums that'll help you with what you're looking for.They sell it at Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. etc.

peronella
February 28th, 2010, 02:27 AM
youre welcome. you might also try surf spray (or just salt water) it gives your hair piecey texture when it dries. I know my hair looks like your wet pic when I use it or, you know, go to the beach. yours is thicker than mine though so it might give it to much volume.

good luck with your freaky hair goal dude :)

Heavenly Locks
February 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM
If you're planning on growing your hair longer, the additional length (and weight) will keep it much less 'big'. You're at a length right now where your hair wants to be more horizontal...

:flower:

jasper
February 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
If you try coconut oil- just use a smidge. Enough to make the palms of your hands shine.

catysue
February 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I second oiling or scrunching with gel or mousse! Also, I don't know how you wash your hair, but you might want to try CO (conditioner only) I have dry, frizzy hair that poofs easily and CO has made it so much sleeker and easier to deal with.

Welcome to LHC, btw! :) You're a cutie and your hair is awesome. Someone said this earlier, but as it grows longer it will lay flatter due to the extra weight of your hair.

gmdiaz
February 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Maybe try a moisturing shampoo. . .I am really liking Back to Basics Blue Lavender Color Protect Shampoo for Color Treated Hair that I got from Drugstore.com. Don't let the name fool you . . .it's just a gentle non-stripping shampoo formula.

Pair that with a heavy moisturizing conditioner. If your hair likes protein, I like Peter Lamas Soy Hydrating Conditioner. . .also available at Drugstore.com Aubrey Organics Camelia Conditioner might work well for you too. . .available at Whole Foods grocery stores and online.

Rinse the shampoo out really really well but just rinse out the conditioner for just a few seconds.

Let your hair air dry and don't touch it.

Then see what you get. If it still looks to dry and floofy. . .apply a tiny bit (like a drop or two) of jojoba oil into the palm of your hands and let your hair soak that up.

Let us know how it goes! It does get better, a lot better as your hair gets longer and weighs down a bit.

AstrayStar
February 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I was also going to suggest some oil. You could also try using an acv rinse that you leave in instead of rinsing. It sometimes leaves my hair looking more wet depending on my ratio of acv to water.

GoddesJourney
February 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Oil or aloe vera gel?

GoddesJourney
February 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I second oiling or scrunching with gel or mousse! Also, I don't know how you wash your hair, but you might want to try CO (conditioner only) I have dry, frizzy hair that poofs easily and CO has made it so much sleeker and easier to deal with.

Welcome to LHC, btw! :) You're a cutie and your hair is awesome. Someone said this earlier, but as it grows longer it will lay flatter due to the extra weight of your hair.

Yeah, what you said about CO. Truth.

natt i nord
February 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, I'd go with the oil, too.

And: Great taste of music! :D

Messyhair
February 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Yup, I was thinking oil. And if you find it leaves your hair crunchy, try a different kind of oil. Also, maybe a leave-in conditioner will help to weigh it down..?

darkwaves
February 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Perhaps you could share your current routine with us?

Just wondering, as it might be overly-dry right now, especially if you shampoo every day. That will make it pouf out.

Many people with dry, fine or slightly (or very!) wavy hair find shampoo too drying, and frizz-making. Washing less frequently, switching to conditioner (yes, you can clean very well with that) AND avoiding the hair brush after washing/drying might help tame your hair.

(Mine goes like that once it's dry if I brush it, too. So I rarely do.)

teela1978
February 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'll second what darkwaves said, and add that conditioner could help as well if you leave in a little (or a lot) after washing.

Cherry_Sprinkle
February 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
AVG and some olive oil keeps my hair in its wet texture and style.. my mix is something like 3 parts aloe gel, 1 part olive oil. I mix in my hands and then just apply all over my hair. This photo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3347&pictureid=43206) is exactly this mix :)

tralalalara
February 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
It almost looks like you blow dried it. Or at least that's what mine looked like at that length.

My best friend's hair always looks wet, and I know he straightens it, and probably puts in some kind of pomade. But then he doesn't wash it for about two or three days and he'll wear a hat a lot. But he has thick and coarse curly mexican guy hair, so he can stretch washes a little further than most white people.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o13/sanityinsmallbox/daniel.jpg

The only advice I have is to not wash it every day.
The more product I put into my hair, the sooner I feel like washing it.

morguebabe
February 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM
oil maybe?
I like dried and NOT straightened.

cmnt831
February 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe wash your hair with conditioner only. Using shea butter and olive oil mixture on soaking wet hair keeps my hair looking "wet" and non-fluffy even after it dries. And it keeps it really soft, too.

little_cherry
February 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
You have lovely hair :) Welcome!

I also suggest the oiling...or even a little bit of shea butter rubbed between your palms and applied to hair.

Hana
February 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
DIMMU BORGIR.

ahem.

meanwhile, to me it looks like waves that dont know what to do, how to curl. thirsty hair reaching out for moisture! my hair did that for a while. lots of moisture in your hair should weigh it down so it doesnt do that triangular thing around your head (Mine still does that sometimes), and it will also make it in good condition.

SO - In short, Coconut oil is your friend. rub a little between the palms of your hands, and while its still wet, smooth it over your hair from the ears down. then leave to air dry. Voila. and thats my 2 cents.

Heavenly Locks
February 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Oh also, WELCOME to LHC! :waving:

Don't feel overwhelmed (ok *try* not to ;) ) if you don't know what something means or how something works don't be afraid to ask us or check out the search feature and also the Very Important Threads link at the top of the Mane Forum. :)

xovictoryxo
February 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
get some pomade...
http://www.folica.com/Pomade_17_1.html

guccixx
February 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I suggest oil. Because my hair looks wet after like...2 days of not washing it. So either fake dirty hair or get dirty hair. HTH.

IndigoAsh
February 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'm with oiling it. My hair gets piecey. I also swear by dreading wax. It's called Proclaim, it's a little black jar and it's $2.19. I smooth it through my hair in place of oil sometimes after a shower to keep from getting a frizzy fro.

Capybara
February 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe if you add more moisture to your hair it will keep it from poofing up too much? (ie. oil, a leave-in conditioner, aloe vera) Personally, I think the third picture looks cool :D
Have you tried wet setting your hair? It looks like it could hold a bit of wave, and that would make it look more piecey like you want.
Good luck! :)

Rapunzelwannabe
March 4th, 2010, 12:26 PM
What about oiling it then? You can get the piece-ey look with oil and it won't be stiff :)

Yeah I'd say try oiling it when it's damp, jojoba or a teensy bit of coconut. That'd make it nice and soft when it dries while still keeping that piecey look

spidermom
March 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'd suggesting washing less often - maybe once or twice a week. I've used gel mixed with 1 or 2 drops of oil to achieve a softer wet look than gel alone. You might also try mixing gel with a dime-size dollop of conditioner for more softness, less crunch.

Hevroth
March 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM
ok thanks for the replies everyone i'll try all those and see what works :) oh and Cherry_Sprinkle (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=12053), i can't view that picture it says i don't have sufficient privileges :p