PDA

View Full Version : Hair/Nail Growth

MissMay
February 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Does your nail and hair growth coincide? If you have fast growing hair, do you have fast growing nails? Just wondering if there is a link between the two, as many products claim to boost the growth of both, so maybe what affects one will affect the other . . . *continues rambling*

[edit]

I class "average" growing hair at 0.5 inches per month, and nails at 3mm per month.

Aer
February 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Iv'e wondered this myself. It seems to be me that I have average growth in my hair, but very fast growth in my nails. I could never figure out if this was normal. I would like that my nails grow faster than usual, if it wasn't for the fact that they are brittle also.

Alaia
February 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I too have average hair growth and extremely fast nail growth.

I know this because I bite my nails (though I'm trying to stop)... they definitely grow more than 3mm per month. Probably more than twice that.

I put my hair as average though it does vary from average growth (0.5" to more than that... say 1") depending on all sorts of factors of which I have no knowledge.

Adrienne
February 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Lately I have noticed my nails growing ALOT faster. and they are STRONG to. lol. it is so weird. I used to be a nail biter. they are getting so strong it is getting hard to bite! I mean they dont break for NOTHIN!

Once I noticed this phenomonon I started thinking about my hair. and why was it not growing faster and getting stronger......I still can not figure out.

But yes I have fast growing nails and slow growing hair.....ugg. and I have not been working since 2005 to get stronger longer nails. :rolleyes: of course. I have been working on hair.............................................. .................................................. .......................

Arctic
February 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I have avarage hair growth and fast growing, strong nails.

Konstifik
February 28th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Very slow hairgrowth, very fast nailgrowth here. Wish it was the other way around :)

Rhiannon7
February 28th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Yep average hair and nail growth except when hair stalls or in winter when my nails get more brittle. I haven't been using any extra vits because i've been having to save to buy a car but will go back to using Hair/nail vits by summer.

lux_aeterna
February 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM
My hair and my nails both grow pretty slow at the moment.

alexas
February 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
my nails grow pretty fast and my hair growth rate was bellow average. once i started taking biotin i noticed a bump in my hair growth rate, but the nail growth is the same.

Spam link removed

CrisDee
February 28th, 2010, 07:01 AM
My hair has always grown fairly quickly, while my nails have always been crap - slow growth, and extremely weak and brittle. However since discovering this board and beginning a few of the supplements that so many have had success with (biotin, more regular MSM, DE), my hair growth sped up a bit, but my nail growth sped up a LOT! I took off (or more accurately, ripped off) my acrylic nails at the beginning of this month, as they'd already grown halfway out after just having been filled on 12/15! They now only have about 1/4" until they're completely grown out! It used to take me at least six months to fully grow my nails out after taking off acrylics! It'd odd, though, it has never been so painful before to grow out my nails after taking off acrylics - I'm hoping that's because the supplements have made the new nail much stronger than what's left of the old nail. Will know the answer to that one in less than a month :cheese:

rockkcor
February 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Whatever it is - it is always too slow :)
I am inpatient to go to terminal :)

zeldagirl7491
February 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM
If I cut my nails off, they could be long again in a week or two.
But my hair is soooooo slow! I wish it was as fast as my nails. Hopefully now that I'm taking better care of my hair it will speed up the growing process.:eyebrows:

enfys
February 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have average hair growth but my nails grow fast. This does not translate into strong nails, but if I use Sally Hansen magic-in-a-bottle products they don't fall apart. Luckily my hair has always been strong.

christine1989
February 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Very interesting poll! My hair grows at an average rate naturally (much faster with suppliments) but my nails grow like crazy! If only it was the other way around! :(

cassie_g
February 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
My hair grows average speed. My finger nails grow fast but my toe nails grow super slow.

windinherhair
March 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM
I think my hair grows at an average rate, maybe a little faster. My nails I don't keep long, and I have to cut every month so both are average.

zen_oven
March 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Average on both counts. I think my nails may grow just a bit faster though.

habioku
March 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
I think my growth is average too, for both.

Stormcast
March 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think my hair and nails are a little bit faster than average.

Lady Jo
March 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
My nails grow faster than my hair i think

JamieLeigh
March 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
My hair grows from 3/4" to an inch a month, and my nails are pretty fast too. Both of these things irritate me to death, since I'm not ready for an unmaintained hemline on my hair, and since my nails are constantly breaking off from being too long for my daily lifestyle. I have to clip them once a week to keep them the length I like. And I have to microtrim my hair every 2-4 weeks when I'm trying to maintain at a certain length.

Fast-growing hair is not as glamorous as it sounds, lol. :rolleyes:

burns_erin
March 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I have pretty fast growing hair, but my nails are horrendous. Besides being slow to grow they also split and peel, my hair on the other hand is pretty robust for F.

autumnsdaughter
March 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Before I decided I wanted long hair, I decided I wanted medium length, strong nails. So I started taking care of them, painting them, and not misusing them. They responded by growing fast and strong. Hopefully my hair will do the same! :)

Cirafly24
March 8th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure how fast my hair grows...I just started measuring this month. However, I feel like my nails grow pretty fast.

I cut them about once a month when they become too long and start messing with my typing. They start to bother me when they pass 1/4" past my fingertips, and I cut them back to ~1/8". Well, if they grow 1/8" per month that's just about 3mm...so I guess they are actually average :)

noelgirl
March 9th, 2010, 07:56 AM
My nails grow very fast, at least twice the average rate, and they're very strong, too. They would grow to talon length if I let them, but usually I keep them around 1/4" past my fingertips, and I have to file them down at least every week to maintain that! My hair grows fast too, about .75" per month, but it's more split-prone. I'm not totally rid of pre-LHC damage, though, so maybe it will be stronger when I am.

LunarAurora
March 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
In summer last year I knew that my hair would be growing fast just by seeing my wonderful nail growth... and it was true :)
To answer to the poll : my nails and hair have an average growth

grldollies
March 12th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Quite a range & response to the survey - good one too!
I have average hair growth about 1/2"-3/4" a month (w/low stress times).
But I have very slow growing pitiful nails Thin & break/peal easy. Since I added Biosil, MSM, & Biotin to my vitamin regime my nails are a bit stronger.
- Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

kevala
March 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Interesting!

My hair grows pretty slow, much to my dismay. My nails grow quickly, though, and require trimming every 1.5 weeks to keep them looking well-shaped and mid-length. I really wish my hair grew faster, but I take comfort in the fact that, despite being fine, it is quite strong and can go for several months to a year without trimming.

morecowbell
March 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM
My hair and nail growth almost always match up. I can always tell if I'm not remembering to take my vitamins enough by the strength and length of my nails, which lets me know that my hair isn't growing as fast as it could, either.

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I have average growing hair and slow growing nails.
And about nails- I discovered something. As I have problems with acne and I am trying to hold myself back from picking my face I keep my nails extremely short. And they are like "ok, we know you want us to be short as you cut us quite often, so we'll grow slow now for you". And when I wanted them to be long for prom and I was growing them, they used to re-grow after every small cut very, very fast:)
Maybe the same thing is with hair? Hello, dear hair, I don't cut you so I want you to be long. Can you cooperate with me?

Tabi
January 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I have average growing hair and slow growing nails.

Fufu
January 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Currently, I have fast growing hair and fast growing nails.

I hope it stays the same... at least for the hair. I don't mind the nails slow down a little. haha.

ooo
January 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have to keep my nails really short, so I feel like they are growing terribly fast, while I think my hair grows too slow.

SummerSkye
January 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
My nails grow really fast and are really healthy but my hair until recently has still been falling out and doesn't seem to grow atall! Very frustrating!

mira-chan
January 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Hair is average but nails grow fast.

craftybunn
January 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Once again it seems that I am with the majority of those polled so far. My hair grows exactly one half of an inch per month. My nails, however, have always been super strong and I have to cut them quite often because they get too long and I start scratching my son or it gets hard to type or do various other things.

FoxRain
January 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Both my hair and my nails grows fast.

My nails grow out lovely too. I don't even have to file them or anything :D ahh, love my nails!

virgo75
January 29th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I voted for average hair growth and fast nail growth.
I think my hair grows between .50 and .75 inches per month and my nails grow really quickly but I don't measure them. Only that I should cut them weekly or they get too long.

Leoslaire
January 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hair and nails are normally average, but I've been doing Monistat 4% for my hair for a month. My hair is growing at about 1 1/4" now.

Emo~Flowers
April 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
My hair grows very very slowly, but my nails grow amazingly fast. I'm constantly having to repaint them, or cut them if I don't realize how long they are and I break one of them.
I love long nails, though, so I'm not complaining.
Hallelujah!

luxepiggy
April 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
My hair and nails both grow faster than average, and I do wish they wouldn't! It would be nice to be able to keep a manicure on for a whole week without getting an awful growout gap (^(oo)^)

zina
April 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
I voted for "average growing hair and fast growing nails". I'm not really sure how fast nails normally grow, but atleast my friends seem to think my nails grow really fast :D

constancev18
April 23rd, 2011, 07:05 PM
I voted "slow growing hair and fast growing nails." Wish it were the other way around!

KittyLost
June 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Average growing hair, but fast growing nails.

Gaelle27
June 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
but I whish my hair to grow faster!:)

MomOf2Gremlins
June 9th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Average growth for hair & nails here.

psychobilly5
June 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
fast growers on both. I'm learning violin so I am going to have to sacrifice long nails at least on my left hand. But I'm always breaking them since I have a rather physical job working with animals.

summerjade
June 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
My hair grows slow but my nails grow fast! Wish I had fast growing hair as well!

Amber_Maiden
June 15th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I have both fast growing hair and nails :D

Ligeia_13
June 16th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Slow growing hair and fast growing nails. Why couldn't it be the opposite? :p

kidari
June 16th, 2011, 11:47 PM
My hair and nails grow super fast. When I was growing out my short haircut, I didn't trim the length for 1 year and it grow about 10 inches. My nails grow faster on my hands than they do on my feet but my nails are horrible. The nails on my hands are super thin and weak and constantly break and peel. The nails on my feet are thick and strong and grow slower.

CrystalStar
June 17th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I have average/fast hair and nails that grow like weeds! I used to cut them every 2 days to keep them at the shortest length possible. :p My hair grows maybe 3/4 of an inch a month, so it seems to be fairly fast!

JessicaHamby
October 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I woted "I have fast growing hair and fast growing nails"

I can say that I like this feature in me, BUT this also means that every other hair in my body grows fast. And that is NOT neat at all!!!

pink.sara
October 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I woted "I have fast growing hair and fast growing nails"

I can say that I like this feature in me, BUT this also means that every other hair in my body grows fast. And that is NOT neat at all!!!

Haha, can sympathise there!
My hair grows much slower than average but I have to cut my nails every week to keep them tidy, and I really have to shave Every day. Tiresome!

Jing
October 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have no idea. I like cheese. I think my nails grow a mm or so per week, and they've always been strong but bendy. Very hard to break and very utile. I can't keep track of my hair growth for the life of me.

LittleB
October 9th, 2011, 12:06 PM
My nails seem to grow fast, hair average. Although maybe my nails just SEEM to grow fast, b/c even just a tiny, tiny bit makes a big difference on a small fingernail, as opposed to a whole head.

ChrisDee: what is DE?

tigereye
October 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
My hair grows fast in autumn/winter/spring, but stalls in summer. I get almost no growth between May and August. Like it just wants to make up in winter for the length it misses out on in summer.
I don't know about my nails. I think they grow faster than normal, but I don't really know what average is. I was a nail biter, and in my fight to stop, I noticed they would definitely grow quite quickly. Considering my first finger nail broke jagged a couple of weeks ago, and I had to file it right down to base, it has definitely grown about 3-4mm in two weeks. But they are so fragile. They bend and break so easily. I would try and grow my nails nice for something and they would all break, or split or peel a few days before. I started applying Sally Hansens Maximum growth every day, a few weeks ago, because I heard it was good to stop the peeling, but it seems to have strengthened my nails too. They're less bendy anyway. I just have to be careful with my new longer, stronger nails, and hopefully they'll last. I truly hate having short nails.

Kira94
October 11th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Average growing hair, maybe a half inch to an inch a month . . . and super fast growing, strong nails. I've had long nails since I was like 8, I can't imagine having them short. Haha.

CariadA
October 11th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Ok, what constitutes fast growing nails? Because it seems to me that just about everyone on this thread says they have fast growing nails. Is there a well known average amount of growth everyone is comparing this too? I have always been told my nails grow fast. Others frequently mention to me how lucky I am to have such fast growing, strong nails. If I cut them down to the quick, they will be back at what many others call "long" within five or six days. That seems like that is a fast growth rate, but maybe it is average.

My hair also grows between 0.75 to 1 inch per month. I have a medical condition that usually makes hair grow slower, so this makes no sense to me. But that's just how my body works.

ETA: I usually do my own nails but every time I have had professional manicures they always compliment my nails. I had a nail technician say I had the most perfect nails she had ever seen. I am lucky in that they grow quickly, are super strong and never brittle. If only my hair were the same. :(
I usually only get professional manicures when I go with my mother-in-law. One time I went two weeks in a row and they were shocked by how much my nails grew in that one week. Because of this, I do think I probably have faster than average nail growth.

KwaveT
October 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I responded average growing hair but fast growing nails. I am going to start measurin my hair growth at beginning of each month. My nail growth has gotten super fast since I started MSM. They are much stronger too. They don't bend a whole lot and are about a half an inch long except for three nails I broke in first week of August. I am not going to complain about fast growing nails since I love having long nails. I just take a lot of flack for it since I am a man especially from my family. In fact, I hate short nails. I have had them long for most part since I was 19.

wannia
October 12th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I have no fast growing nails,i am very worry about it what i do?Give me some tips.
I am in waiting.
Thanks.