PDA

View Full Version : back to sls

Lile
February 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Anybody out there having better results from sls shampoos?
I'm back to using shampoo with sls after 3-4 years of keeping it as far from my bathroom as possible...
But somehow my hair does better with it than without...
Anybody having the same experience?
Please don't write in this thread how bad they are...I'm aware of that...

Arctic
February 27th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Sulfate washer here, I don't even dilute mine :eyebrows: My scalp demands sulfates, and my hair doesn't seem to mind either. I use usually SLES as it's the most common in Finnish products. There is even a social group for us sulfate/sulphate washers!

LadyLongLocks
February 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
My hair seems to like SLS shampoo too. Never had a problem with them. I do stay away from the Ammonium Laurel sulfate though.
Even the George Michael shampoo has SLS in it. I have a bottle here. How bad can it really be if he allowed it in the shampoo!
What difference have you seen with SLS and without?

Hana
February 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM
SLS is everywhere, there's really no avoiding it without camoflage and spending HOURS in shops with people wondering why you're staring intently at bottles.
I'm reading ingredients, dammit. Reading Ingredients.

anyways.
its whatever works best on your hair! thats the simplest and truest answer, i've found.

HotRag
February 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM
My hair seems to like SLS shampoo too. Never had a problem with them. I do stay away from the Ammonium Laurel sulfate though.
Even the George Michael shampoo has SLS in it. I have a bottle here. How bad can it really be if he allowed it in the shampoo!
What difference have you seen with SLS and without?
Why do you stay away from AL(E)S? I have searched for info about differences between SL(E)S and AL(E)S and found that AL(E)S would be slightly better. Only difference should be the sodium ion in SLS that is an ammonium ion in ALS.

I don's ask his to make a point, I truly wonder since I can't get hang of this SL(E)S vs AL(E)S.

I went back to SLS (or in my case, ALS) since I had a shedding issue that was corrected with a mild antidandruff shampo based on ALS and ALES. Every other cleaning method has given me the itch the last 8 months. I can't find a SLS free shampoo with the ingredience Climbazole that seamed to be what helped me.

I now wash CWC (or: conditioner on lengths, diluted shampoo on scalp, then rinse and SMT on lengths). I oil my scalp first though.

Carolyn
February 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
SLS isn't the evil thing that some make it out to be. The same thing goes for cones. SLS works for some people and others have issues with it. I use SLS shampoo when I do a CWC and have no problems. However if you are having some kind of scalp issues it would be something to eliminate from your hair washing routine. For a lot of people SLS is just fine.

Yeesha
February 27th, 2010, 08:25 AM
For me it is: SLS is good, ALS is bad. At least this is, what my scalp tells me... *g*

So, if it works well for you: just use it. :)
If you think it irritates your scalp too much: how about oiling the scalp before the washes? I tried it and liked it. :)

HotRag
February 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I use SLS shampoo when I do a CWC and have no problems. However if you are having some kind of scalp issues it would be something to eliminate from your hair washing routine. For a lot of people SLS is just fine.
I use it (but ALS then) also in CWC.

But for me this was the only help for my scalp issues. Everything else was irritating bad. Especially Sodium benzoate (natural preserver), EOs, neem oil, ACV and herbs. Strange it can seam.

For me it is: SLS is good, ALS is bad. At least this is, what my scalp tells me... *g*

So, if it works well for you: just use it. :)
If you think it irritates your scalp too much: how about oiling the scalp before the washes? I tried it and liked it. :)
I don't know if you are answering the TS or me, but I answer anyway ^_^

You are the second here that thinks ALS is better than SLS. What was it that make you think ALS is worse than SLS?

I preoil scalp, and rinse with ascorbate acid (pure C-vitamine) water. I at no time feel any squeeks or feel the feeling of rised scales on the hairs. With normal SLS and no preoil or other, I felt that all the time.

Shermie Girl
February 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I am a sulphate washer, too. I use both SLS and ALS with equal success. My hair likes sulphates. It comes out soft, shiny and bouncy. My scalp demands sulphates. Without regular scrubbing with sulphates it turns into a nasty, angry, itchy mess. Sulphates calm it and makes it happy and comfortable.

Sulphates aren't evil. Like any product, they work for some people and don't for others. :D

teela1978
February 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
If I don't use sulfates I get little pimples on my scalp. Not a lot, but enough to annoy me. And some of them get itched and pop and bleed. My head is just happier with sulfates. Added benefit is that sulfate based shampoos are really cheap.

oceanwoman111
February 27th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I use SLS when I need to with CWC. I try to rotate it with non SLS shampoos too. Does anyone know why the scalp gets itchy when I'm not using SLS? I noticed it when I cut it out of my routine. :hmm:

Yeesha
February 27th, 2010, 11:23 AM
You are the second here that thinks ALS is better than SLS. What was it that make you think ALS is worse than SLS?

Well, from SLS I only get a little bit of dandruff, from ALS I get a LOT of dandruff and a sore scalp... So: SLS for me is better than ALS. :)
But well, my scalp is... strange. *g*

sweet*things
February 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I just started using the George Michael Shampoo again after going sulfate-free for the past 8 months and my scalp is thanking me. I was so itchy without them.

christi.adell
February 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Well I've tried everything in the attempt to go natural with my hair care but my head is just too oily. If I don't wash every other day at least I look so greasy. So I think I'm going back to SLS.

Also as much as I've tried to use "better" shampoos, Pantene makes my hair gorgeous. I stayed with my mom this past weekend (she only uses Pantene) so I used it since I didn't bring any. My hair looked so good. It is what it is I guess.

Erin-86
February 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I use sls/sles too, can't go without them and my hair doesn't seem to be bothered by them, not at all actually.

I have the same with cones. I can't use them on my scalp (so no shampoo with cones!), but my hair doesn't seem to care whether I use them or not (so a conditioner with cones is fine), it's only because of my psoriasis I can't stand them on my scalp.

That's also the reason why I have to use sls/sles. If my scalp gets too oily, the spots of psoriasis get more itchy, don't know why, it just does...

spidermom
February 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
My scalp is not very picky. I do fine with SLS, SLeS, ALS ...... with everthing, really, except CO. Limp, dull mess.

Kirry-Folk
February 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I like SLS too. I have more scalp issues when I DON'T use SLS, actually, but the hair itself suffers, particularly the ends. :( I try to alternate between products.

It's not the great evil, and there are lots of us that do like it, so don't feel bad if you wish to use it!

Bucatini
February 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I like SLS too. I have more scalp issues when I DON'T use SLS, actually, but the hair itself suffers, particularly the ends. :( I try to alternate between products.

It's not the great evil, and there are lots of us that do like it, so don't feel bad if you wish to use it!

Well said. With repeated use my length gets so dry that my waves go BOOM with frizz. I never thought to alternate, I just sort of said "oh I can't use that." :rolleyes: Silly me.

Jeni
February 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I CWC daily with sulfates (of any kind) and cones. And no I don't dilute it (shocking!). I can use sulfate free shampoo for a few washes but I never notice my hair being any "better" and after a few days my scalp starts to itch and break out and my hair get limp(er).

RedButterfly
March 2nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Well, from SLS I only get a little bit of dandruff, from ALS I get a LOT of dandruff and a sore scalp... So: SLS for me is better than ALS. :)
But well, my scalp is... strange. *g*

Yes, I also have personally found ALS to be harsher than SLS, despite what many ingredient expert sources claim. ALS dries out my scalp and hair in every version of shampoo I tried that included it, even shampoos a lot of people liked. I have found SLS to be better for me. I especially love Herbal Essences Color Me Happy shampoo.

farewell_nancy
March 2nd, 2010, 01:02 AM
My hair appears to be having a love affair with dimethicone so I don't want to go off SLS while I'm indulging my hair's love of cones. Maybe later when I've trimmed off the oldest ends I'll give sulfate free and no cones a try but for now I'm sticking with my tried and true methods.