PDA

View Full Version : hair breaking offf...help!

RockerChick
February 27th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hi all

just wonderd if you wouldn't mind helping...

for seveal months now my hair has been breaking off around my hairline...no idea why as it's not permed or coloured and I am taking plenty of supllments. It's very fine although there's a lot of it and down to my waist. It's very hard to style and always messy so I used to srauch dry it as it has a slight wave in it but stopped when I suspected the scrunching was the cause of the breakage but it's still breaking off. Thougth maybe it's because my hair dryers too hot but I've had the hairdryer years and it's not caused a problem before. Any ideas?

thanks!

manderly
February 27th, 2010, 03:53 AM
The hair around your hairline tends to be the most fragile and delicate.

Do you wear your hair in ponytails or the same style every day? People notice breakage from their rubber bands.

It could be getting too much heat from your dryer, can you use it on a lower heat setting?

You just have to treat that hair like it's baby hair. It's just way softer than the rest of your hair :)

RockerChick
February 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I tie my hair back at night because a: it's long and could starngle me and B: I put olive oil on the ends. Would this be the cause? Maybe wear a hair net instead? In the day I just wear it loose. Or maybe I nee a new hairdryer as there's only really one heat on it.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I tie my hair back at night because a: it's long and could starngle me and B: I put olive oil on the ends. Would this be the cause? Maybe wear a hair net instead? In the day I just wear it loose. Or maybe I nee a new hairdryer as there's only really one heat on it.

does that tie have metal parts? is it rubber? do you tie too tight? all these can cause breakage.

RockerChick
February 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
No it's one of those special fabric-covered anti breakage ones and no it's not too tight.

manderly
February 27th, 2010, 07:27 AM
If you tie it in the same place all the time that could be a cause. i would try a loose braid or changing where you tie it.

RockerChick
February 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Why would where you tie it cuase it to break off?

Isilme
February 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM
If you tie it n the same place every single time it's going to cause friction and then cause damage. Also, consider dumping your hairdryer or cutting down on the times you use it, heat is damaging.
Do you keep your hair up in hair friendly updos? Do you brush your hair? Brushing can be awfully damaging to fine hair.
Does your hair come between your back and a backpack/shoulder strap? Or a chair backing? Do you keep it down when wearing a wool jacket? All those small things are going to cause damage too.

ChloeDharma
February 28th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I notice you say its around your hairline.....could it just be new growth? Feel the hairs and if they taper to a point at the tip then its just new hair emerging. If they are blunt at the tip then it sounds like breakage.

Fiferstone
February 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I suspected the scrunching was the cause of the breakage but it's still breaking off. Thougth maybe it's because my hair dryers too hot but I've had the hairdryer years and it's not caused a problem before.

I think the dryer's the culprit. From what you've said you are both scrunching (possible mechanical damage) and blow-drying (heat damage).

Also, when you wash, are you piling the hair on top of your head and massaging shampoo into the piled-on hair? Stop doing that too. That leads to lots of tangles and mechanical damage.

I'd try cutting out the dryer. Your waves will thank you, and if it's an older dryer, it may in fact be operating at a hotter temperature than newer dryers. Can you bear to wash your hair in the evenings and let it air-dry, rather than wash in the morning?

Good luck.

Marjolein
February 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
If your hair care routine hasn't changed, it seems unlikely to me that you should seek the answer there (not withstanding that it is still a very good idea to pamper your hair as much as possible).

Have you changed something in your diet or have you been under a lot of stress lately? Both these things can cause your hair to grow more brittle out of your head than you're used to.

AmericanWoman
February 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM
First, make sure it isn't new growth. Then make sure it isn't a hormonal problem. Thyroid issues are notorious for causing hair fall out. (dry brittle hair)

RockerChick
March 3rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
hi again, thanks agin for the input guys, I'm pretty certain it's the hairdryer, especially after using it again this morning. It doesn't blow as well as it used to and seems to be trying to compensate by getting hotter instead. I think I'll get a new dryer today and then use it on the lowest heat possible or even a cool shot. I shall let you know how it goes, I might be back if it all goes wrong lol.

As for hormones...I think unlikely but will mention it to my doc as I'm seeing him Friday...I think I have sinisitis or something. My diet has changed but for the better...I cut out refined carbs and sugar. It's definately not new hair growth I'd know new hair growth anywhere and my hair is coming out in clumps. It could be stress, I have had a lot of tradgedies and health issues to deal with over the past few years.