PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Issues and Damaged Hair from Illness

ArUrbEx
February 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Ladies and Gents!

I have been lurking here forever, absorbing a lot of great information, but I am having a hair issue that I can't seem to solve. My hair is almost waist length 1b, fine and iii. It holds braid waves and bun waves fairly well, though it's rather slippery and falls out of things easily. I also have an oil slick for a scalp, though I used to go 2-3 days between washings.

I started taking steroids and other drugs to treat an autoimmune disorder, and now I am having huge scalp issues. If I don't wash my scalp every single day, I get horrible scalp zits. Meanwhile, my hair is damaged from the drugs and from being too sick to properly take care of it. My mother had to help me wash and comb and she's not exactly known for being "gentle." Also, she would put it up wet, and that contributed to the damage I am sure. It's soft but I have a ton of splits and some of the damage goes clear up to my scalp.

I've tried CO, but it leaves my scalp breaking out. Right now the only thing that doesn't break me out is Hair One Tea Tree Oil Conditioning Wash, but my hair still doesn't feel conditioned enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on conditioner or treatments that might help get my poor, abused hair under control, or possible ideas for how to keep my scalp happier?

manderly
February 26th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Maybe consider washing with borax? I've just washed once so far, so I can't really tell you if it's the bees knees or not, but several other members love it so far and they love the ease of it (basically just squirt or pour it on and rinse it off), which might be beneficial to you if you find caring for your hair to be problematic right now.

They also claim that it eases itching and scalp issues :D

I can tell you that after 1 wash my head isn't itching like crazy, so there's that :)

Here's the thread if you're interested: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34619&highlight=borax

I hope you find something that works for you and you feel better :flower:

sarah061
February 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM
The only suggestion I can think of right now is if you the Tea Tree oil conditioning wash on your scalp and then found a second nice thick conditioner and only used that on the length of your hair and not the scalp. That way your ends and the bulk of your hair can get lots of hydration but it shouldn't affect your scalp. I personally really love l'oreal ever strong sulfate-free conditioner - it has this rosemary mint smell and every time I use it my hair really feels softer - it has just the right amount of thickness. Good luck though - I'll be thinking of some other solutions for you! And in the mean time maybe just try S&Ding your split ends away?

Chibbylick
February 27th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe you could try a CWC variation, where you cover the length of your hair from your neck down with conditioner, then shampoo your scalp & hair, rinsing thoroughly, following it up with a light condtioner, The first conditioner would be protective, reducing the amount of contact the shampoo has with your hair shaft, the second providing conditioning. Maybe you could try an ACV rinse. ACV always helps my scalp itchies go away, and also helps my hair shine I just splash some into the bottom of a jug I take into the shower with me, then fill it with warmish water and poor it over my head for my final rinse.
Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
Chibby