PDA

View Full Version : The Big Chop (with pictures!)

kwaniesiam
February 26th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Today a friend at school helped me brush out my hair from dreadlocks and cut it afterwards. I haven't colored it yet, you can't tell in the pictures but the color is a splotchy mess from brushing out the dreads. It's the shortest my hair has ever been, I like it well enough until where my hair has thinned grows back in. You can see some of the thin spots in the pics :(

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Photo79.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/DSCN0016.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/DSCN0015.jpg

Overall I'm content with it though. A sample package of The Morrocco Method products are on their way to me to help with the thinning. Until it grows back in, I'm keeping it short but once my hair thickens back up I'll grow it out long again for sure :)

EDIT: Due to a number of questions, the dreads had nothing to do with my hair loss. I was already experiencing it from a thyroid condition, its just easier to treat with shorter hair and access to the scalp.

wtchmel
February 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Good luck with your growing out routine. I think your hair and scalp will appreciate the new cut, and it'll thicken up in no time. the color looks good to me. :)

Arrow Juniper
February 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I really love the haircut: you have such a pretty face~! :)
What is your natural color and what color are you going to have?
How long do you think you'll grow?

kwaniesiam
February 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I really love the haircut: you have such a pretty face~! :)
What is your natural color and what color are you going to have?
How long do you think you'll grow?

My natural color is brown-ish. I'm not sure what I'm going to make it, I hennaed for 4 years to red before that. Right now I have brown chemical dye and some greenish blue bits that were bleached. I'll grow until it feels like a decent length, I've had it to waist before so at least past that once it thickens up.

LittleOrca
February 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Good luck on the growing journey. :) We are all behind you ready to catch that hair as it spouts out!

ericthegreat
February 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
You are a brave woman indeed kwaniesiam! I know I couldn't go short for any reason whatsoever short of me *cross my fingers* developing cancer and needing to undergo chemo.

You are definitely growing back your hair even healthier than it was before. I can't wait to see it as it grows back again. :flowers:

cindy58
February 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Good luck growing out and thickening up! I hope it's just the way you want it soon.

TXbarbie
February 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Wow that's so brave! Good luck :)

sarah061
February 26th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I think your hair is really going to appreciate the cut and now that it's short it really shows off your pretty face! I've never used any of the Moroccan Method products before - you should definitely let us all know how it goes! Btw, do you think your hair started to thin because of the dreadlocks or because of something else? I've always really liked the look of dreadlocks but I like to change things up too frequently to be committed to them I think...

paperwhite
February 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Good luck with The Morrocco Method! We'll be watching :)

linda g
February 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Here's to happy growing!

kwaniesiam
February 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I think your hair is really going to appreciate the cut and now that it's short it really shows off your pretty face! I've never used any of the Moroccan Method products before - you should definitely let us all know how it goes! Btw, do you think your hair started to thin because of the dreadlocks or because of something else? I've always really liked the look of dreadlocks but I like to change things up too frequently to be committed to them I think...

My hair has been thinning off and on for years due to a thyroid problem and anemia.

Thank you everyone, I can't wait for my box of samples to arrive. I'll be documenting how it works for me and of course the growing out process.

christine1989
February 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM
If you want the thin patches to grow in quicker try 5,000 mcg of biotin. I bought it to speed up growth and it did nothing for that but it did dastically increase thickness and quickly too!

Toothe
February 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM
The cut is cute!

You're focused on the hair loss since it's your own head, but I bet most other people will never notice or pay attention. Nobody scrutinizes our own scalps like we do ourselves! :p

RavennaNight
February 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
The new cut is nice, and brings out your facial features.:) I am in shock, though! When I saw the thread I was like :confused:, as you were just enjoying coloring your dreads different colors and they were looking really cool. I'm interested to see how morocco method products work for you, as I have never seen them in action before. I hope they work well for you:)

little_acorn
February 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
You are very brave and that cut looks good on you so while you thicken it up you will still look lovely :flower:

italianamama
February 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
My hair has been thinning off and on for years due to a thyroid problem and anemia.

Unfortunately I share the thyroid and anemia problems with you! It's a B#@$% isn't it? Just keep fightin' the good fight, and I can't wait to see more pics of new growth :D

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 11:34 PM
brave, but you seem to be handling it well :)
how long did you have your dreads for?
when i cut mine out i bawled/screamed/hyperventilated for a full day, and quietly cried for a few days after that :o
your cut looks cute; i know we all on the board want long hair but short cuts are fun so enjoy it while you have it! :hifive:

Loreley
February 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Good luck and happy growing! :cheer:

ArUrbEx
February 26th, 2010, 11:47 PM
That is a really cute haircut!

Good luck on growing it out!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 27th, 2010, 02:10 AM
that reminded me of my starting point; except mine was even shorter in the back and a bit longer in the front (pob, they call it?)

I wish you great luck in your journey! :flower:

Arctic
February 27th, 2010, 07:34 AM
The new cut looks great on you, I like it! It's so much easier to let it gain thickness when it's short. I hope you'll notice new halo of growth very soon!

countryhopper
February 27th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Looks great! I think you made the right choice!

eamane
February 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
It looks like a nice cut for you, I hope your hair thickens up soon so you can regrow it :)

Sissy
February 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
it's sure to grow back nice and thick. :) Happy growing! I also like the color.

kwaniesiam
February 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM
brave, but you seem to be handling it well :)
how long did you have your dreads for?
when i cut mine out i bawled/screamed/hyperventilated for a full day, and quietly cried for a few days after that :o
your cut looks cute; i know we all on the board want long hair but short cuts are fun so enjoy it while you have it! :hifive:

The dreads were in for 5 months. I cut them all off pretty short and had a lot of help combing them out with super splittery conditioner. It took about 5 hours to comb out and cut. Thank you :)

The new cut is nice, and brings out your facial features.:) I am in shock, though! When I saw the thread I was like :confused:, as you were just enjoying coloring your dreads different colors and they were looking really cool. I'm interested to see how morocco method products work for you, as I have never seen them in action before. I hope they work well for you:)

I really didn't want to cut them off but the rate my hair is thinning was worrying me, especially how there wasn't much hair anchoring fat heavy dreads to my scalp and they were starting to pull uncomfortable. That and due to winter dryness my scalp is a mess. Thanks, I hope they work too!

lora410
February 27th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Is the thinning from the dreadlocks?

kwaniesiam
February 27th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Is the thinning from the dreadlocks?

No, my hair was thin to begin with and for years now I've had issues with it from a thyroid condition and severe anemia.

IndigoAsh
February 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM
omg it looks so good!!! I'm with everyone else on this, will be keeping up with you for sure. Can't wait to see your renewed hair journey!

aililiú
February 27th, 2010, 10:06 AM
The dreads were in for 5 months. I cut them all off pretty short and had a lot of help combing them out with super splittery conditioner. It took about 5 hours to comb out and cut. Thank you :)

5 hours? lucky you!! mine took around 24 hours for me &my partner to comb out (with forks! :rollin: ) no joke, and that was after i had cut off most of the length! at 5 months they wouldnt have severely locked up yet, they'd still be quite happy to come out, i reckon :)

happy growing :)

Shermie Girl
February 27th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry that you had to give up your locs, Kwanie. :grouphug: Your new cut does look super cute. It frames your pretty face so nicely and shows off your piercings, too. :D

Good luck in thickening up and growing out. We are all here to support you as you go along. :D

spidermom
February 27th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Oh my goodness; looks like the dreads did a number on your hair! Happy growing and re-thickening.

WyrdWay
February 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Good luck growing it back! You look really cute in the pics ^_^

Dark Rosaleen
February 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM
The new cut looks great, and shows off your pretty eyes. Good luck on growing back when you're ready.

melikai
March 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
Sorry I missed this thread! I think the cut turned out very cute! I imagine without the pulling from the dreads aggravating any hairloss, you'll probably start to get new growth very soon. Are you going to maintain it at a certain length until the patchy bits grow in?

I've been very curious about MM too! I hope it works.

chloeishere
March 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I think it looks super cute! I like your plugs too. :p

JamieLeigh
March 3rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Good luck growing back out! I hope things go the way you want, as long as you're happy that's all that matters!! :flower:

Schmoomunitions
March 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
OH I LOVE Morocco method ! It actually made my thin hair feel thick. If it wasnt so expensive it would be my only hair products. And I love the smell of the earth shampoo.

Melisande
March 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm late to the party - but also from me best wishes for your new longhair journey - and health journey, too. I hope the thyroid and anemia problems are a thing of the past, and that your hair and health will fulfill their whole potential and make you very happy.

Your new cut is, as everbody says, very cute and you look like a very lovely girl. I guess everybody has to make experiments like dreadlocks - if only to get the dream out of our system ;-) And hair grows every day.

I'll be watching the developments, too!

Misso
March 3rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you will feel better and better. I am sure you will enjoy long thick hair soon enough, good luck.

embee
March 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM
It looks cute, and suits your age and face well... the first word that came to mind was "gamin" but you're a girl and my dictionary says "gamine", meaning tomboy. I hope the meaning hasn't changed for the worse since this old dictionary was made - I don't want to insult you! ;)

Good luck with the thyroid, I certainly sympathize, been there done that, although I was so freaked by all the other thyroid side effects that I didn't notice a hair problem... probably wouldn't have noticed unless it *all* fell out. If you know what I mean.

Wanderer09
March 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
It suits you really well. Best wishes for hair growth!

Star Eagle
March 5th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Kwaniesiam,
I am glad you started the process...soon your hair will grow back and be healthy .... all in its own time. Star Eagle

Aditi
March 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Good Luck with the growing journey....we are all with you :flower:

Juanita
March 6th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Are you going to keep your hair colour natural? The Ichy red scaley scalp could also be an allergy to the dye. Anyway the new look is cute and will hopefully soon thicken up.

rhondalicious
March 6th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Good luck in growing it out! I cut my waist length hair back in fall so I could care for my poor troubled scalp, and while I miss the hair, I am so glad that my hair is growing back better than ever now that my scalp is healthy (I have thyroid and other issues as well).

Be brave, it will grow soon - I cut to pixie in Sept and now it's just a smidge past chin length, it only took 6 months to get to pigtail length!