PDA

View Full Version : A certain hairstyle?

Patrycja
May 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Do any of you have a certain "goto" hairstyle that shows your length?

Not including wearing it down or a simple three strand braid :p I'm talking LHC inspired styles :)

I use a butterfly clip braid...

AJoifulNoise
May 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM
The banded ponytail or caterpillar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/SycoTrekkie/2008/April212008Upload010.jpg

In fact, I think I'm going to do that today!

capelli lunghi
May 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
I wear a "French Pony Tail" a lot.. It is like a French Twist with a long pony tail coming out of it. I also make the start to a Figure 8 with just the one coil at the top. I flip that towards my head and then leave the rest down coming out as a pony tail.

Lady Godiva
May 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
A braid is great and fairly quick to make. A banded ponytail is more accurate for not bending my hair back-and-forth dozens of times, which shortens the length when braided. However, a banded ponytail is not so easy to make *and* make look good, with even distribution of elastics, and having enough similar ones so it looks OK. :frog:

I wear a "French Pony Tail" a lot.. It is like a French Twist with a long pony tail coming out of it. I also make the start to a Figure 8 with just the one coil at the top. I flip that towards my head and then leave the rest down coming out as a pony tail.
I do both of these, too, except I make an Infinity instead of a Figure 8. :grin:

Gumball
May 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
If I really wanted to show off the length in a style usually I do either a banded ponytail or banded pigtails and they seem to work perfectly. Sometimes it makes my hair easy to comb out once I take all the bands out.

AJoifulNoise
May 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
My hair is always super soft after I take the bands off. It loves the banded pony.

prosperina
May 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
I do a half up. I bun the half of my hair and stick my small silver primavera maxima in it. My hair is wavy verging on curly, so it looks pretty, and the longest parts of my hair remain down. Not very LHC inspired (more Princess Bride inspired) but it does show off the length. I also sometimes use a flexi 8 instead of the ficcare.

Medievalhair
May 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
For me either a bun or 3 strand braid.

Patrycja
May 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I did the catepillar yesterday for the first time and I loved it.

I could so feel how long my hair has gotten when I moved my head

AJoifulNoise
May 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! I wore it yesterday to a social function and almost took out a few people when I spun around too quick... Gotta remember that in the future. :o

Isilme
May 3rd, 2008, 05:14 AM
a dutch braid or a half up:)

Anje
May 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I like braids, but those aren't allowed. So half-ups, and double-banded ponytails (one against the head, one halfway down or so to minimize tangles.)

Patrycja
May 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I like braids, but those aren't allowed. So half-ups, and double-banded ponytails (one against the head, one halfway down or so to minimize tangles.)

braids are allowed :p I was wondering more if there were different length showing do's.I've been sticking to the butterfly clip braid and 3 strand braids for so long.I did discover the banded pony,thanks to this thread!

Nynaeve
May 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hmmm, I can't think of any right now. I'll have to think on it...

somethingwicked
May 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I need to try the banded pony. A ponytail is too much loose hair for me when I need to keep it contained, and if I don't take some care, a braid leaves me tangled at the nape. I usually do all loose, or my quick, sloppy, scrunchie bun.

Morag
May 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I do what I guess you would call a third-up - I gather and band the crown hair at the back like a half up, then add some of the side hair and band it again lower down, then band everything together at the nape and let it fall down my back.

In case my description is confusing, there's a photo here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=720&pictureid=11251

Nynaeve
May 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I need to try the banded pony. A ponytail is too much loose hair for me when I need to keep it contained, and if I don't take some care, a braid leaves me tangled at the nape. I usually do all loose, or my quick, sloppy, scrunchie bun.

When I need to keep it contained, it's usually so I won't hit someone in the face, like for my dance class. I wore buns for it almost every day because I was afraid of what might have happened otherwise. I feel that a banded pony would have taken out someone's eye ball :D

I need to start doing it again though, it's a nice style, I just hate using ponytails. I need some hair-happier ones.

I do what I guess you would call a third-up - I gather and band the crown hair at the back like a half up, then add some of the side hair and band it again lower down, then band everything together at the nape and let it fall down my back.

In case my description is confusing, there's a photo here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=720&pictureid=11251

Oooo that looks nice! :)

AJoifulNoise
May 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
When I need to keep it contained, it's usually so I won't hit someone in the face, like for my dance class. I wore buns for it almost every day because I was afraid of what might have happened otherwise. I feel that a banded pony would have taken out someone's eye ball :D

I found out at a social gathering I went to last week that taking out people with a banded ponytail is totally doable! I didn't actually hit anyone, but it was pretty close. :lol:

Nynaeve
May 6th, 2008, 08:02 PM

I love the pomegranate. :D

I found out at a social gathering I went to last week that taking out people with a banded ponytail is totally doable! I didn't actually hit anyone, but it was pretty close. :lol:

Hahahaha. I can imagine. When I was little, I used to accidentally hit people with my braid(s). :D

(which was why I tried not to wear anything that might hit anyone for my dance class. One girl already called me "lethal weapons" because my legs are so long for my height. )

Tashomani
May 6th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Anje............Why are braids not allowed? Just curious.

Kiraela
May 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Morag: I once did a similar sort of thing to that, except that the bottom two ponies were topsy-tailed, and the upper tails were stuck through the loop(if that makes any sense... if not, when my hair dries i'll try to do it and take a pic)

Nevermore
May 7th, 2008, 01:11 AM
If I wore my hair not-fully-up, I'd go with double dutch braids. I love dutch braids and the double-ness of them makes my hair look closer to the length it is. I'm going to try that style that Morag posted, it's pretty!

I also love half ups, especially things like the infinity bun or figure 8 as a half up.

One thing I tried a couple times when I was younger and really liked was a variation on the banded pony, where I'd start with a nape ponytail, divide the hair in half below it, twist each side to the outside for 2ish inches, band it again, then repeat to the end.

jel
May 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Half-ups definitely make my hair look longer!

I think it's because I have layers - so when the shorter hairs are up and out of the way, the bottom layers appear 'unbroken' and therefore longer.

Nynaeve
May 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ok, I have thought about it, and remembered a few when I did them today and yesterday.
If I want to show off my length, I make a low ponytail and clip with a fakkare or a slide.
Or I braid it a few inches starting at the nape and secure it with a little clip or slide or ponytail tie.

swanns
May 8th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Really, a three-strand braid is how I usually wear my hair these days, I'm boring like that ;) I don't wear buns or the sort that much because I really like to show the lenght. French braids and herringbones are nice too.

Nynaeve
May 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Really, a three-strand braid is how I usually wear my hair these days, I'm boring like that ;) I don't wear buns or the sort that much because I really like to show the lenght. French braids and herringbones are nice too.

Yeah, that looks like an amazing herringbone in your avatar.
I fail at herringbone braids. I've tried so many times, but I just can't get them to look right. They alway look.... wrong. :(

MusicLady
May 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I like to do twisted ropes. Either starting with one pony tail in back, or use them with a half-up, by twisting the sides into a rope and pulling them back.

French braids are good also.

MakeItADouble
May 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Pigtails all the way. Once my hair started getting long, I realized that they looked SUPER long as pigtails.

Lixie
May 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I find a single rope braid works well, or a high ponytail with the length braided into two or three braids.

Meli
May 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
*Hijack*

I love the pomegranate. :D

I love Anje's pomegranate too! Perhaps this site wouldn't go down anymore if we all had pomegranates in our siggies... :silly: :rollin:

*End hijack*

If I want to show length on special occations, I wear halfups. Otherwise I wear some kind of braid/s with long tassels. Long tassels makes my taper less pronounced, and I get less shrinkage from the braiding than with shorter tassels.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM
*Hijack*

I love Anje's pomegranate too! Perhaps this site wouldn't go down anymore if we all had pomegranates in our siggies... :silly: :rollin:

*End hijack*

If I want to show length on special occations, I wear halfups. Otherwise I wear some kind of braid/s with long tassels. Long tassels makes my taper less pronounced, and I get less shrinkage from the braiding than with shorter tassels.

Hahaha. Pomegranates are my favorite fruit. Maybe if we gave some to the site support people they'd be happy. :p

Well, actually, we'd probably have to just give them juice, giving them an actual pomegranate might make them angry, not everyone thinks they are as fun as I do. :shrug:

I've been trying to think of some nice ways that I show off length, but I haven't come up with too much. :( I'll think of them eventually!

JamieLeigh
April 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The woven bun seems to show my length off more (so I'm told) than regular buns...although it does look impressive to do a braided cinnabun and have the entire back of my head covered up. :D

Katrina
April 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I wear a single 4 strand braid, a rope braid or a simple 3 strand braid. Sometimes I wear half ups, usually a pony bun or a ponytail with Flexi-8.

rose_in_bloom
April 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
The lazy wrap bun has been my go to style recently. It's secure without pulling my hair too tight.

Guinevere
April 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Simple Chinese bun with a pen for the stick! (Don't have any hair stick near me at the moment...)

Jules diamond
April 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I like to stick to the half ups myself. I think half up sock buns are the best.

leahrachelle
April 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I think curling always makes your hair seem longer - atleast for me. When I imagine it straight, I always visualize longer.