PDA

View Full Version : first s&d !!

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
at least, it is if ive understood the term "s&d" correctly :lol:

my ends are a bit rough... or a lot rough....:o from a myriad of damaging techniques, and were full of split ends, so i just pulled out a little pair of scissors when i was on the phone and trimmed off every split end i could find!

its amazing that with such a small amount of hair trimmed off (i cant notice any difference in length) my hair looks so much better !!

i especially didnt want to cut off all my ends as theyre a lovely golden colour. :crush:

now, is there a proper technique to trimming?
i cant think of what it would be, but perhaps thats newbie ignorance :D

elina333
February 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Congratulations! :) Yes I love S&D too, I do it several times a week. Makes such a difference! The proper technique as far as the S&D is to use SHARP scissors. Otherwise you might be causing more damage. Also try to cut the end straight. Otherwise it might unravel and lead to new split ends... ;) Good luck and happy growing! :pegasus:

Merewen
February 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM
If you want to actually trim your hair yourself, I recommend Faye's self trim. Link! (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)

But if you're sticking with the S&D, it sounds like you're on the right track. Like PP said, sharp scissors are good. S&D does wonders for my hair too.

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM
i think i'll stick with the s&d, as im growing out from a pixie &i love the varying lengths. definitely a fan of fairy-tale ends! s&d shouldn't get in the way of that end result, should it? well, either way, those split ends had to go!

elina: you say you do it several times a week.. do you keep getting new split ends? ive gone through my hair a few times now but figured that was because there were so many to start with.. i guess the next step is prevention?

IndigoAsh
February 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I do it a lot too and has made a difference. My problem is I get so many split ends I had to reduce the time I spent trimming them just to keep some length. I made the mistake of bleaching/dying the bottom of my hair in '06.

Ravenne
February 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Oh how I love S&D. I pick up the my scissors and spend around 5-10 minutes searching and snipping as a part of my nightly routine. But yeah, as long as you have a good pair of sharp scissors that's not used for anything but cutting hair, you're good to go. :) Sounds like you're doing it right.

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 11:19 PM
excellent! thanks for all the replies :)

indigoash: thats a thought i had as well... not very much hair is being snipped off, but if i did this all the time, i would inevitably lose length. so like i said, next step is learning about prevention!

i've grown out all my past bleach by this point, but the bottom portion of my hair was dyed ...almost a year and a half ago now. i dyed it right after i took it out of dreadlocks, so its not surprising theres some lasting damage. but i just oiled them! heres hoping that helps... :D

elina333
February 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
elina: you say you do it several times a week.. do you keep getting new split ends? ive gone through my hair a few times now but figured that was because there were so many to start with.. i guess the next step is prevention?

Well, since Im growing out bleached and quite damaged hair I find quite a few splits. But mostly they're white little dots. I dont find them everyday but I look everyday :D And its kind of a never ending story, especially with my fine easily damaged hair...