PDA

View Full Version : I am back, sort of - after shedding issue

HotRag
February 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hi. I was away for some time. Just could not read here and loose my hair at the same time. Too much.

In June 2009 I started shedding a bit more. I had started medication Bupropion 4-5 weeks earlier.

In August I had upped the med dose, and 4-5 weeks after that, hair began falling crazy.

12th Sep 2009 I stopped all medication. No luck for the hair though.

I have had three times normal shedding until some weeks ago. During shedding my hair refuse to grow, has just growed 2,5 inches since 12th of June. I also have had terrible itch and flakes. I also have become over sensitive to everything. So those EOs and Indian herbs I tried made things much worse.

Some weeks ago I bought a antidandruff shampoo at grocery shop. Active ingredience: Climbazole/konazol (not ketokonazol). Itch stopped right away and in one week shedding was normal.

Now regrowths seems to have started, I loose less hair than ever before.

In the process I have stopped nicotin, caffein, all meds (bupropion, lamotrigin, fluoxetine). Eating better than ever. Good stuff mostly, but I can feel in my mood and other things, that I am not eating any antiderpessants. I have heard though that it can take up to one year to recover from such medication. I ate Fluoxetine for 10 years. But I am really GLAD I am on no meds.

This has truly been a horrible time, getting hair obsessed and then START LOSING IT!

I wont really believe it is over, it can start again. But for now it feel rather good, normal to low sehdding for several weeks in a row.

I will keep using this AL(E)S dandruff shampoo. I dilute it and wash like CWC. Pre oiling scalp with coconut oil, camelia oil and jojoba oil.

I will keep away from most herbs and EO's and also some preservatives that gives me itch (sodium bensoate "kills" me but is more and more common used).

Maybe this thread is totally uninteresting, but I wanted to write anyway. It's such a relief to not shed anymore (even if I am afraid of it starting again).

Toothe
February 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
So glad you found what worked for you! Welcome back and happy growing! :cheese:

HotRag
February 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM
So glad you found what worked for you! Welcome back and happy growing! :cheese:
Thank you :)

It seams like it has started to grow again also. I have to clip my nails again also, they would not grow either during this. That made it hard to believe it was a topical thing, but I think the bupropion kick started all of this in some way. One doctor thought the same.

Anje
February 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Glad the shedding seems to have stopped. Buproprion never bothered my shedding, but I've had weird hormonal side effects from a couple SSRIs, so I can definitely see them causing shedding.

Congrats on getting off the nicotine and caffeine, too! Hope you continue to feel good.

cmnt831
February 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
That's a lot you had to go through. I hope things continue to improve for you. :flower:

HotRag
February 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Glad the shedding seems to have stopped. Buproprion never bothered my shedding, but I've had weird hormonal side effects from a couple SSRIs, so I can definitely see them causing shedding.

Congrats on getting off the nicotine and caffeine, too! Hope you continue to feel good.

That's a lot you had to go through. I hope things continue to improve for you. :flower:
Thank you both! :blossom:

Loosing hair can really make one feel really bad. And doctors do not understand, they more or less just "laugh". Saying one should accept. One told me I was getting old now and then it's normal.

Losing hair for a woman can be very traumatically and it was. That is hard to understand for others, but I think doctors could behave more like they understand and with more sympathy than they do when they meet "hair losing women".

Oskimosa
February 26th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I am so sorry! :grouphug: But it is a great thing that you have finally gotten the loss to taper off. I know it can be really hard to hang around here when your hair stalls or sheds. Mine had slowed and it was hard to visit a HAIR FORUM when I couldn't even enjoy my own, so I can't imagine how much harder it has been for you. But again, I'm so happy for you seeing improvement :cheer:

HotRag
February 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I am so sorry! :grouphug: But it is a great thing that you have finally gotten the loss to taper off. I know it can be really hard to hang around here when your hair stalls or sheds. Mine had slowed and it was hard to visit a HAIR FORUM when I couldn't even enjoy my own, so I can't imagine how much harder it has been for you. But again, I'm so happy for you seeing improvement :cheer:
THank you.

It will be a hard time now, before I can believe this horrifying shedding experience is really gone. It could come back at any day am I afraid of.

Hope your hair grows at normal rate by now. Mine seems to.

Arctic
February 27th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Welcome back!

Loosing hair is really traumatic and stressful... Hope your hair problems are over for good and you'll get some crazy spring growth spurt!

HotRag
February 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome back!

Loosing hair is really traumatic and stressful... Hope your hair problems are over for good and you'll get some crazy spring growth spurt!
Thanks, I hope that will come true :)

Tressie
February 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
My hair sheds a LOT, and I know how that can make you feel! I'm glad you have gotten back to normal! You have a wonderful head of hair~ (o: Stay well!

little_acorn
February 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Welcome back :flower: - I'm glad to hear that you have turned the corner against shedding - kepp well and keep us posted

justgreen
February 27th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I take a pill cocktail every day, three times a day, so if I were shedding I think I would be in trouble, since most of them I need.

I did, however , go through what you are going through, about 12 years ago. The reason was because I had lost a large amount of weight very fast and it shocked my body. The hairs that were being shed had died all at one time, but they don't all fall out at once. It took several months and I was very depressed at this. I ended up loosing about 1/3 of my hair.

I'm glad you have found something that works for you! And welcome back!

spidermom
February 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I'm glad to hear you found products that work.

jera
February 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM
How traumatic to join LHC and then start losing your hair. Grrrr :(.

I'm so glad you're adopting healthy lifestyle changes like quitting caffeine an nicotine and chemicals. They do damage the body and the hair as well. :)

HotRag
February 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
My hair sheds a LOT, and I know how that can make you feel! I'm glad you have gotten back to normal! You have a wonderful head of hair~ (o: Stay well!

Welcome back :flower: - I'm glad to hear that you have turned the corner against shedding - kepp well and keep us posted
Thanks you two :flower:

I take a pill cocktail every day, three times a day, so if I were shedding I think I would be in trouble, since most of them I need.

I did, however , go through what you are going through, about 12 years ago. The reason was because I had lost a large amount of weight very fast and it shocked my body. The hairs that were being shed had died all at one time, but they don't all fall out at once. It took several months and I was very depressed at this. I ended up loosing about 1/3 of my hair.

I'm glad you have found something that works for you! And welcome back!
Great that you do not shed from your pills (if I got it right, you mean medicine pills?).

About 15 years ago I lost a lot of hair. It too was due to weight loss, I was anorectic. It started suddenly, but when I started to eat correct (yes, I must be hair obsessed since hair can easily make me eat when I have anorexia...). I had hair almost to my thighs then and was really scared. But it stopped a couple of weeks after starting to eat enough fat an protein. I lost several hundred of hairs per day then :@

A lot for one who shed 27 hair per day usually.

I'm glad to hear you found products that work.
:) Thanks

How traumatic to join LHC and then start losing your hair. Grrrr :(.

I'm so glad you're adopting healthy lifestyle changes like quitting caffeine an nicotine and chemicals. They do damage the body and the hair as well. :)
Yes, that was the worst time to have hair loss. Why couldn't it come some years ago when my thick hair was "stupid" and in the way and all over when I made 40's updos.

I was no heavy user of nicotine, I used the Swedish tobacco product one put under ones lip, and just one per day. But I cut it anyway. So I know I do or eat nothing bad for my hair (and rest of body).