PDA

View Full Version : hair changing?

aililiú
February 25th, 2010, 07:02 PM
i have fine, fairly straight, naturally silky hair, (although its a bit roughed up due to having been in dreadlocks &then to my unfortunate love affair with backcombing) :o &its a light brown colour, with copper &golden highlights.

today i noticed, up near my part, some hairs that should not belong on my head! they are about 2-3x as thick, kinky, and dark! either dark brown or black.

could these just be random unexplained "accidents" or is this the start of my whole head of hair changing?
my father as a child had lighter brown hair and then at some point it turned black for him.

i dont know what to think :bigeyes:

nellreno
February 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I get these too! I've had them for a while, they're the only strands that have that coarse, 'kinky' texture. But I've always only had a few of them, my hair never changed completely into this kind of texture. Maybe they're just weird strands?

christine1989
February 25th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Yep! It is certanly possible for hair to change texture and color. The same thing happened to me in middle school- it went from a light brown, white girl afro to silky with only a few waves. Its very odd....I wish I had an explanation for it....

aililiú
February 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
sounds like it could be either!
i guess i'll just have to wait it out &see what happens
*suspense*

Lorien
February 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
It's a little odd to think about but sounds very normal considering that we're always changing from within, depending on things like what we eat, environment, stress levels, activity, etc. The body is in constant change and adapting to the most sustainable form it can under all circumstances, so changes in hair colour/texture, etc. seem like just another manifestation of this :)

GoddesJourney
February 25th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Uh, join the club. I have those too and so do a lot of people. I noticed a few when I was around 12 or so and I get a little more every year.

alexas
February 26th, 2010, 12:34 AM
that happens to all of us sometimes, and it becomes even more obvious when you pay extra attention to your hair.

Topaz
February 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM
This doesn't apply to you specifically, but I have noticed that the closer I come to menopause, the curlier my hair is getting, plus taking on more strawberry highlights in the sunshine. You're too young for THAT kind of change yet, but I mention it because there are all sorts of factors that can change the texture and quality of your hair, everything from hormones to diet to medications, etc. I'd say if there's nothing like that that might be effecting your hair, then just sit back and see where it takes you.

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
well, for the past few years ive been experimenting with diet to see what works best for me, &ive always had wonky hormones (pcos) so who knows if its to do with one of those.
OR, perhaps its my longing for thick, wavy hair finally manifesting itself :lol: the power of the mind &all that ! :lol:

my mum is getting hairs of a similar texture growing in among her fine, golden locks.... but they're white ;) she's not excited about it at all.

ArUrbEx
February 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I was just coming here to ask this question! My hair has always been 1a and in the past six months I have these coarse, curly hairs. At first I thought it was splits/breakage, but my hairdresser told me that it was just my hair. It frustrates me because my hair looks awful in my mind now. It's closer to 1b now.

metalgypsy85
February 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
My hair is getting thicker and lighter. Years ago, it used to be dark brown and stick straight thin. Now, it's definitely got some heaviness to it. I don't like it turning lighter though.

Hana
February 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I have been dyeing my hair for quite a few years now, but I have noticed in pictures taken of me, that my roots are gradually getting lighter and lighter, and I'm noticing more grey.

But thats more in the colour. I dont believe my hair texture has changed any, if at all.

Emerson
February 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I started getting these hairs too a few years ago, so strange. At first I started plucking them out ;) now I just leave them alone...lol

Fractalsofhair
February 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, it happens to me. It seems like more of them are popping up. I'm guessing my hair will eventually end up jet black, coarse, and wavy, like 1/2 of my family.

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM
its a pandemic! :laugh:
i know colour changes are quiet common-- its already happened to me, as when i was a wee one i was a definite brunette, and im a lot lighter now. but its the total change in thickness/texture that really threw me this time! maybe its my hair saying "well, if she keeps backcombing us, we might as well just start growing messier &save ourselves the damage" :laugh:

i love wild, messy hair :crush: its my downfall