PDA

View Full Version : French Twist In 1:37

yellowchariot
February 25th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Here is another contribution I'd like to submit for the ladies of LHC (And guys also). This may not be one of my functional styles, but nevertheless I would like to show the ladies here who say "They can't make a French Twist!" Believe it or not, it's very simple. I made a twist in 1 minute and 37 seconds, and I believe you all could too. If you have longer hair perhaps 2 minutes tops, also I see no reason why this method would not work on very long thick hair either. You don't twist your hair from your neck upward, but rather form the side :thumbsup:! Your roll will most likely be thicker and longer though, but you can manipulate that.

Here is the Video I hope this helps you all! Please let me know if you find this helpful, or if I'm just a mad scientist :D haha

Peace Out!
YellowChariot!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/th_FrenchTwist137.jpg (http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/?action=view&current=FrenchTwist137.flv)

1. Make a loose ponytail, so you can slide your scunci easy without pulling your hair.

2. Slide the ponytail holder back to one side of your hair (which ever side you want your roll to take form on). Do not slide it back to far or any layers you have may fall out of the ponytail.

3. Once you are far enough back, take the very end of your hair next to the ponytail holder and make a slight twist upward. This will make a "handle" or a "base" to hold onto. Then start rolling your hair toward your head, and as you roll, keep the tension of your hair away from your head. This will improve the appearance of the roll once it has reached your head.

4. Secure the twist however you want. Your done! 1 minute 37 second French Twist (Hey can I get that copyrighted?! LOL )

5. No laughing or snickering permitted! ;)

CrisDee
February 25th, 2010, 07:05 PM
VERY cool! Wow, wish I could :magic: my hair long again just to try that :)

Pr0sperity
February 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM
This is a really good video! I actually think I could do this. Thank you so much.

yellowchariot
February 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
VERY cool! Wow, wish I could :magic: my hair long again just to try that :)

This is a really good video! I actually think I could do this. Thank you so much.

I'm glad you all found it helpful! IMO this seems much easier than the traditional way that one is made. Also you don't need a lot of hair to do one.

christine1989
February 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Well, I know what im doing with my hair tomorrow! Thats a perfect style for my hair length! :)

Neoma
February 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
This is a very unique, smart way to make a FT. And the results are really neat... Perfect, actually. Good job!

whiteisle
February 25th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Well done! And as I happened to have had an elastic handy while watching I of course had to immediately test this theory. It works! :D

MissMandyElizab
February 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM
thanks i think that will be my next try

yellowchariot
February 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Well, I know what im doing with my hair tomorrow! Thats a perfect style for my hair length! :)

This is a very unique, smart way to make a FT. And the results are really neat... Perfect, actually. Good job!

Well done! And as I happened to have had an elastic handy while watching I of course had to immediately test this theory. It works! :D

Wow! Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it! IMO it doesn't look great on us guys :p, but that particular method would look very elegant on ladies!

BTW: Has this method already been discovered? Because it's so simple that I don't see how anyone could have not known about it. It's also much "cleaner" and more sleek looking than the regular twisting up the back of the neck/head method.

Dementia1013
February 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I like how you did that! though my only concern is the fold for the like tb - classic hair becoming too long... I'll give this a try though and see if it works for me. :D

clichepithet
February 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
:wail:

French twists hate me! I can't even get this to work and it's a really good idea!

Did I mention :wail:?

little_acorn
February 25th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Awesome video - I shall have to try this :D

Ven
February 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing. You made that looks so easy and it came out so smooth!

yellowchariot
February 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Awesome video - I shall have to try this :D

Wow! Thanks for sharing. You made that looks so easy and it came out so smooth!

^ Thanks! I'm glad I could help out!

:wail:

French twists hate me! I can't even get this to work and it's a really good idea!

Did I mention :wail:?

Hey clichepithet, worry not! Your current length on your profile says 27 inches. That should be an ideal length for this style to really come alive. What exactly are you having difficultly with?

ZaBasDa
February 25th, 2010, 11:57 PM
It's a nice video, but I still can't get it to work. I think for me the problem is I have layers that are starting at chin length down to waist length. because my issue is when you have to do the little twist upward and start folding the hair sideways toward your head. I didn't get the dreaded bump at the top of the FT :thumbsup: but my roll didn't look anything like a french twist really.

italianamama
February 26th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Please come over to my house and fix my hair for me! :D I'm french twist impaired, I always have been, and I have never been able to get it to work. I'll try watching your video again and see if I can "get" your method. But I may get hopelessly tangled up in my own hair in the process (and I'd have to wait until morning for my hubby to get home from work and rescue me). Wish me luck!

yellowchariot
February 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
It's a nice video, but I still can't get it to work. I think for me the problem is I have layers that are starting at chin length down to waist length. because my issue is when you have to do the little twist upward and start folding the hair sideways toward your head. I didn't get the dreaded bump at the top of the FT :thumbsup: but my roll didn't look anything like a french twist really.

ZaBasDa, TBH I don't think you have to twist it up, instead you could try twisting the very end downward. You just need some kind of base of hair or even try an accessory such as a bandanna clip to hold on to, while you are rolling your hair toward your head.

Remember to gently pull back while you are rolling/twisting the hair towards your head, allowing some tension on the hair so you will have control over the movement.

Hope this helps!

Please come over to my house and fix my hair for me! :D I'm french twist impaired, I always have been, and I have never been able to get it to work. I'll try watching your video again and see if I can "get" your method. But I may get hopelessly tangled up in my own hair in the process (and I'd have to wait until morning for my hubby to get home from work and rescue me). Wish me luck!

Hello italianamama, just keep practicing, you'll get it!

BlueMuse
February 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm going to have to give this a try. My hair is down to tailbone now, so I'm not sure I can get my arms to cooperate (and I've never been successful with french twists). If I wasn't so tired and hung over on cough syrup I'd try it right now, but there's only so much my poor brain can take.

PearlyCurly
February 26th, 2010, 04:51 AM
ohhh, so thats how you do a french twist:D

Topaz
February 26th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Wow, that's terrific! I guess I know what I'll be trying this weekend! :)

yellowchariot
February 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I'm going to have to give this a try. My hair is down to tailbone now, so I'm not sure I can get my arms to cooperate (and I've never been successful with french twists). If I wasn't so tired and hung over on cough syrup I'd try it right now, but there's only so much my poor brain can take.

Hey BlueMuse, I do recommend that you sober up first, and then give it a try :D

ohhh, so thats how you do a french twist:D

PearlyCurly, I accidentally discovered that particular way of doing one! I'm sure that most hairstylists would/should know about doing one this way, I guess. Who would have thunk it? haha

Wow, that's terrific! I guess I know what I'll be trying this weekend! :)

Thanks Topaz! Glad I could give you all some ideas!

MandyBeth
February 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Need to be a LITTLE bit longer than chin length to manage this - otherwise, perfect!!!!!! Thank you!

I just redid the front little braids and pinned them back into the twist. Looks a little flat (need more hair), but more adult than the pigtails I started with.

RedStripe
February 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Brilliant! I am also French twist impaired, but it's a style I've always wanted to wear. This weekend will definitely see me working on perfecting this!

LaurelSpring
February 26th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I just did this while sitting at the computer. It actually worked pretty well with a little tinkering at the end. My hair is almost waist. I couldnt keep the tension all the way to my head but it gave me a really cool sort of roll that I just pinned down in a couple of places and it looks very nice.It also gave me cute little peacock tail at the top which is nice because I havent been able to get a good peacock effect since my hair got longer. BRAVO!!! Me likey!! :applause Thanks for posting.

strwbrry dakri
February 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Squee! I can't wait to get off work and try this. I have been able to do a FT before, when my hair was shorter, but I have almost (just another fraction of an inch to go!) BSL, layered hair, and have not been able to figure out how to get it all tuck under. You have solved the riddle, you genius!:cheer:

yellowchariot
February 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Need to be a LITTLE bit longer than chin length to manage this - otherwise, perfect!!!!!! Thank you!

I just redid the front little braids and pinned them back into the twist. Looks a little flat (need more hair), but more adult than the pigtails I started with.

Your welcome MandyBeth. Also try adjusting your ponytail holder in different locations. That may help out as well.

Brilliant! I am also French twist impaired, but it's a style I've always wanted to wear. This weekend will definitely see me working on perfecting this!

Thanks RedStripe, I'm sure you can really improve upon it. That quick and easy tutorial was just to give you ladies a brief idea of what all you can do with that method of style. No doubt it will look more elegant when you dress it up.

I just did this while sitting at the computer. It actually worked pretty well with a little tinkering at the end. My hair is almost waist. I couldnt keep the tension all the way to my head but it gave me a really cool sort of roll that I just pinned down in a couple of places and it looks very nice.It also gave me cute little peacock tail at the top which is nice because I havent been able to get a good peacock effect since my hair got longer. BRAVO!!! Me likey!! :applause Thanks for posting.

LaurelSpring, you have just confirmed that this works with waist length hair! Did ya'll hear that! :tongue: lol

Squee! I can't wait to get off work and try this. I have been able to do a FT before, when my hair was shorter, but I have almost (just another fraction of an inch to go!) BSL, layered hair, and have not been able to figure out how to get it all tuck under. You have solved the riddle, you genius!:cheer:

I appreciate your reply strwbrry dakri, I'd also like to add that even if the hair is layered you can still work with the back of it. Even pull out a few layers for a messier look.

Man, I need to somehow figure out a way to put French Twist 137 in a bottle and sell it! haha ;)

MandyBeth
February 26th, 2010, 01:16 PM
If I move my elastic higher, the nape area falls out, and that tangles worse. My front that doesn't stay back is about 2" shorter than everything else - it grows slower and gets more damage.

Or, I just need to get someone else who can get my hair up for me. I'm going to have to work on training DBF a bit more apparently.

yellowchariot
February 26th, 2010, 01:29 PM
If I move my elastic higher, the nape area falls out, and that tangles worse. My front that doesn't stay back is about 2" shorter than everything else - it grows slower and gets more damage.

Or, I just need to get someone else who can get my hair up for me. I'm going to have to work on training DBF a bit more apparently.

^ Noted! I'll also add a B/F in the bottle of French Twist 137 :D

teela1978
February 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I believe that's the most masculine french twist I've ever seen :)

BlueMuse
February 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yaaay! It worked. Sort of. But I don't think it's bad for the third attempt and my first success. I actually kind of like the way it curves because it makes some waves in the front. For anyone wondering, the little colored things are butterflies.

Please excuse my ear in the last picture.

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu306/maegochan/?action=view&current=Frenchtwist.png

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu306/maegochan/?action=view&current=frenchtwist2.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu306/maegochan/frenchtwist3.jpg

http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu306/maegochan/?action=view&current=frenchtwist4.jpg

yellowchariot
February 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
BlueMuse, those pics look really awesome!
Also quick tip, if you want the twist vertical on your head, make sure you use both of your hands, one at each end, to roll your hair. This will help you stay aligned.

Nevertheless, it looks very cool and smooth! :thumbsup:

BlueMuse
February 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I will try to do that the next time. I'm not the most coordinated, and I can only get out to about half my length before the tension goes slack and hair goes everywhere.

SurprisingWoman
February 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have really missed FT's. That is one style I used to wear all the time. I am going to try this this weekend. I will report back.

yellowchariot
February 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I will try to do that the next time. I'm not the most coordinated, and I can only get out to about half my length before the tension goes slack and hair goes everywhere.

I see, just gently keep it pulled away as your rolling both top and bottom towards your head. It should automatically tighten itself.
I'll have to revisit this 'do when I reach BSL.

I have really missed FT's. That is one style I used to wear all the time. I am going to try this this weekend. I will report back.

You all let me know how it goes. Also I figured that the longer your hair was, the bigger/thicker your roll/twist will be.

Try to get someone to help you all out, and then you might be able to figure out how to manage one on your own.

Quixii
February 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Ooo, very nice!
I'm trying to figure out if that would work at all in my hair. Besides being rather long, it's also curly, so I have a feeling it will be a tangled lump as opposed to the great sleek roll you have. :(

Aer
February 27th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Thank you for sharing, that was very considerate.

Fiferstone
February 27th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I found that once I was at waist I couldn't do french twists anymore because I could not "bury" all the length into the pocket under the twist. I'm going to give this a try.

And as for it not looking that good on a guy? I beg to differ. ;). I think it looks great on you, not "girly" or "feminine" at all, it's actually a very nice "stealth" way to wear long hair for the days when you don't feel like dealing with stupid comments, especially if it will fit under a hat or bandanna.

I'm so going to have to try this...

Upside Down
February 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Easy, simple, and lets me fix the mistakes when making an updo- I love this!

THANK you! :)

yellowchariot
February 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Ooo, very nice!
I'm trying to figure out if that would work at all in my hair. Besides being rather long, it's also curly, so I have a feeling it will be a tangled lump as opposed to the great sleek roll you have. :(

Quixii, if you can, get some one to help you, then try it again.

Thank you for sharing, that was very considerate.

Aer, your welcome!

I found that once I was at waist I couldn't do french twists anymore because I could not "bury" all the length into the pocket under the twist. I'm going to give this a try.

And as for it not looking that good on a guy? I beg to differ. ;). I think it looks great on you, not "girly" or "feminine" at all, it's actually a very nice "stealth" way to wear long hair for the days when you don't feel like dealing with stupid comments, especially if it will fit under a hat or bandanna.

I'm so going to have to try this...

I appreciate the compliment Fiferstone! I haven't thought about using this style as a way to wear a hat, cap, or toboggan thanks!

Easy, simple, and lets me fix the mistakes when making an updo- I love this!

THANK you! :)

Your most welcome Upside Down! I'm glad I could contribute something back!

SurprisingWoman
February 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I can not get my hair to go up in this. The roll is huge.

I am going to try again tomorrow. It's really hard to get the roll to start because my hair is too long to reach the end so I tried folding it and that doesn't work.

Argh!

I am sooo updo challenged.

loralie
February 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
This video is epic! No twittering but sheer awe that with your man muscles you managed to pull off a better looking french twist than probably half the ladies here can. ;)

Very nice, and your hair is awesome.

Thanks, I'll definately have to try!

GlassEyes
February 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Ooo, very nice!
Can't help with the length, but curly french twists actually look quite nice. Soufoulee has a few pictures up of a loose french twist, and she's a 3b. :p

Also, I've done tight ones in the past in a rush (soft ones look weird on my due to odd side hair), and while not as sleek, they've looked fine to me. Never really worn one out of the house though. XD

yellowchariot
February 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM
This video is epic! No twittering but sheer awe that with your man muscles you managed to pull off a better looking french twist than probably half the ladies here can. ;)

Very nice, and your hair is awesome.

Thanks, I'll definately have to try!

Loralie, thanks for the epic comment! Though I wouldn't say that it looks better than half of the ladies' styles (What are you trying to do?! Get me killed!!! SSHHhhh!!!!) LOL J/K! :D

Also Note: You all might want to do bicep curls as well, this will come in handy! :bigtongue:

loralie
February 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Bahaha! I mean... mediocre representation of a ladies french twist. But truthfully, none of my guy friends with "long" hair have ever been able to handle anything more than a bun or a ponytail. Just sayin.

And my arms get sore after a bun. I'm a wuss. :P

yellowchariot
February 27th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Can't help with the length, but curly french twists actually look quite nice. Soufoulee has a few pictures up of a loose french twist, and she's a 3b. :p

Also, I've done tight ones in the past in a rush (soft ones look weird on my due to odd side hair), and while not as sleek, they've looked fine to me. Never really worn one out of the house though. XD

Hey GlassEyes, Fiferstone had a really great idea that I haven't even thought about. This would actually be handy for wearing toboggans or hats. Especially since it's hard to keep all of the hair up under a bandanna/boggin.

Bahaha! I mean... mediocre representation of a ladies french twist. But truthfully, none of my guy friends with "long" hair have ever been able to handle anything more than a bun or a ponytail. Just sayin.

And my arms get sore after a bun. I'm a wuss. :P

^ LOL I know :D.

Ponytails and braids are usually the most practical and functional ways for me.

GlassEyes
February 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Actually, that IS a good idea. It'd probably work well for wigs too, if you don't ahve hair long enough to do a coronet with. o-o

Bluebell
February 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Great idea! :applause Well done!

yellowchariot
February 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Great idea! :applause Well done!

Thanks Bluebell, did it work out for you?