PDA

View Full Version : Hair Falling Out

Justasqeeple
February 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi all! I'm new here ^.^ I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the forums, and haven't seen this mentioned at all, so I thought I might ask.
I have just recently decided to actively grow my hair- it's about BSL now- so I have started paying attention to the habbits and care of my hair. I've always kept my hair up in a bun, sometimes for a day or two between brushings, and when I take it down, I have about a handful of hair come out. It sheds ALL the time. You would think I had a disease- I don't, I've checked :). I also have a good diet. I've never really cared about my hair before, so I haven't thought much about it, but now I'm trying to remedy it because this can't be a habit of healthy hair.
For the last couple of months have tried both the CO and CWC methods, along with oiling with coconut the night before a wash and even doing only the ACV rinses, but none of it has helped. Even with a month of the ACV washes, I still need to wash my hair atleast once a week, so I have been hesitant to try any more oil on my scalp.
Even with the hair loss, it's still thicker than most peoples, so I don't know if this is just my body's way of regulating itself so I don't end up with a fro, but it makes for a much slower growing process. I was just hoping someone had a suggestion or idea, or god forbid, the same problem and a solution.

Thanks Gals!

pinkbunny
February 25th, 2010, 04:31 PM
It's normal to shed several hundred hairs a day - and if you're leaving your hair up for a couple days then you're going to see a couple days' worth of shedding when you take it down. This happens to me as well. Perhaps you could learn gentler techniques for putting it up if your updos are causing breakage? There are also some times that you may shed more than normal due to stress or illness or whatever... I wouldn't worry too much unless it became very excessive to the point of balding. Just baby it and study the forum articles for haircare and you should be able to keep shedding to a minimum.

Welcome to LHC! :D

spidermom
February 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Exactly! It is perfectly normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day. Every time I comb mine, I get a few hairs. When I clean house, I vacuum up so much hair that it's a wonder my dogs and I aren't bald! Don't worry. Old hairs shed out; new hairs grow in, so don't be surprised when you start noticing your halo of shorter hairs. Some hair types show more than others, but we all have it.

renarok
February 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
We all go through periods of increased shedding, and it can be frightening to have a handfuls of hair come out in the shower. I wouldn't worry too much unless you are noticing a marked loss of thickness and or other troublesome symptoms, such as weight change or fatigue. If you are worried see your doctor.

blondecat
February 25th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Sweetie, Yes, everytime I get stressed I loose hair by the handfull. It's depressing

Please make sure you look after you, eat well, drink lots of water, take some vitamins if you need and keep body fit.

it all helps the 'quality' of your hair

May I ask how old you are ? Sometimes life changes affect hair too.

praia98
February 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
It sounds like, it's a few days shed, so no worries if it's not changing in amount. If it's more than normal, look to see if irritation on scalp or something is stressing you, good or bad. I've noticed that stress affects it, which causes stress and then it's a cycle :P LOL
Be gentle with your hair, and take care of yourself from the inside--eat well, drink lots of water, take vitamins etc..

italianamama
February 26th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Some of us are just more genetically prone to shedding- I've got very thick hair that grows quickly, amd I shed a TON. Whenever I start to freak at seeing a handful of hair come out of the comb, I just think that I'm making room for new and healthy growth.

alexas
February 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM
hey,

most likely it is a genetic thing. anyways you should watch your diet and stress level.

Anje
February 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM
As others have said, shedding is often normal and tends to spike a few times a year (early winter's a common time, for example). It's also more noticeable the longer your hair gets, as a few shed hairs ends up looking like a pretty big ball compared to when it's short.

Has your hair actually gotten thinner is the important question. Monitor the circumference of your ponytail. (Do this at a consistent time, like once it's dry after washing, since it can vary a bit with oiliness.) If your thickness goes down a considerable amount, like more than 1/2 inch, it's definitely time to be concerned. Unfortunately, that's also the time to visit the doctor, because losing hair can indicate underlying problems like vitamin or mineral deficiencies or hypothyroidism.

Fairlight63
February 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I have read that it is not good for your hair to leave it up in a bun or the same do all of the time. I would alternate hair do's so that there isn't tension on the same part of your scalp all of the time. When I take down my hair I massage my scalp for a min. it feels so good! the put it in a different hairstyle.
Like maybe a bun one day, then a low braid the next, then the next day down completely, etc.
Also Biotin, MSM, hair vit. also I am taking DE right now & that has helped the hair loss a LOT.

elina333
February 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Here is a link you might wanna check out. Cold water washes. It has helped me tremendously!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41116&highlight=cold+water+washes

Otherwise it could be due to:
- Hormonal changes
- If you've been on any stong medications lately
- High level of stress
- Lack of protein
- Lack of vitamins or minerals, such as iron or B-vitamins

Good luck! :pegasus:

alexas
February 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM
good post :)

Here is a link you might wanna check out. Cold water washes. It has helped me tremendously!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41116&highlight=cold+water+washes

Otherwise it could be due to:
- Hormonal changes
- If you've been on any stong medications lately
- High level of stress
- Lack of protein
- Lack of vitamins or minerals, such as iron or B-vitamins

Good luck! :pegasus: