PDA

View Full Version : CO causes change in color?

Ravenne
February 25th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not talking about going from brunette to blonde. Lol. But I've noticed in the 2-ish weeks that I've been doing CO, my hair has changed from an ash brown to a more... chocolate? Cocoa? Something like that. There's more diversity in individual shades in the hair strands. Some are very red. Some are varying shades of brown. I've even found a few dark blondes in there. The only change I've done recently is going from WC to CO so I'm attributing it to that. Has anyone else noticed a color shift when starting CO?

ArienEllariel
February 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM
not that I know of.

manderly
I know when my hair is dry it looks lighter....like each individual strand is more translucent. So I just attribute any change to the fact that my strands are now nicely moisturized and plump :)

TXbarbie
Oh weird... I have recently begun CO washing so I haven't seen a difference yet. I'm interested to know as well

Ravenne
February 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hm. Maybe it is just because they're more moisturized and the color is becoming more vibrant. :shrug:

ChrissieM
February 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I think your hair is healthier, more moisturized, and maybe not coated with styling products/cones anymore (I don't know your routine) so the natural color is coming out.

JenniferNoel
February 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Health, moisture/less porosity can easily make light hit and bend around the strands differently, therefor causing the illusion of a natural/pigment color change.
Bottom line - sounds like your hair is happy. :applause

spidermom
February 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Mine looked darker because it was limp and stuck to my head.

Sylvanas
February 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I know when my hair is dry it looks lighter....like each individual strand is more translucent. So I just attribute any change to the fact that my strands are now nicely moisturized and plump :)

Yup, same for me. Darkens a wee bit with CO, but if I use shampoo it's back to "normal" colour :)

Sissy
February 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I hadn't noticed but would LOVE it if COing would make my hair darker :)

Carolyn
February 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I've been COing for several years and haven't noticed a color change. I've changed HOW I color it but I don't think CO has anything to do with my color. I think my hair is more moisturized and healthy with CO like others above have said.

manderly
February 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I hadn't noticed but would LOVE it if COing would make my hair darker :)

I should clarify. Moisture (in this case CO for some - not me) makes hair appear darker. It's not a cumulative effect, nor is it actually changing your color. It's akin to the color change you'd experience with heavily oiled or wet hair.

My hair looks almost black when wet. I know water didn't make it darker, and I know when it dries it goes back to it's regular color. It's the fact that my hair is super moisturized and clumped together (as opposed to frizzy and flyaway when dry) that makes it appear darker.

Shicurls
February 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yup, my hair's natural highlights become much more distinct/darker.

artemis
February 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I used to CO and after I started, I had several people ask me if I'd dyed my hair. It changed from dark blonde to lighter blonde with a hint of red.

Ursula
February 25th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I've noticed some change in tint when my hair is better moisturized. It can fade to a somewhat yellow tone when dry, but seems darker/redder/browner when better moisturized. This is less pronounced since I've hennaed. But a different tone as discoloration from dryness goes away makes sense from my experience.

Marlowe
February 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Odd someone brings this topic up, only cleansers that have touched my head the past few weeks have been conditioners and I was looking at my older (bleached, dyed, hennaed, etc) growth and thinking how shiny and light/varying colored it was. I figured it was just the conditioners I was using being special and pulling old dye and water mineral residues out of the hair.

Flaxen
February 25th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Several of us have noticed over the years that COing brings out red tones. :agree:

christine1989
February 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Yes, my hair is slightly darker too but im not complaining since thats what I wanted anyway :)

Sissy
February 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I should clarify. Moisture (in this case CO for some - not me) makes hair appear darker. It's not a cumulative effect, nor is it actually changing your color. It's akin to the color change you'd experience with heavily oiled or wet hair.

My hair looks almost black when wet. I know water didn't make it darker, and I know when it dries it goes back to it's regular color. It's the fact that my hair is super moisturized and clumped together (as opposed to frizzy and flyaway when dry) that makes it appear darker.

My hair always looks darker when wet too. :) I wish it would stay that way when dry!

Adrienne
February 28th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Been on CO since 2005........... Still Jet Black........

scata999
February 15th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mine is a few shades darker since I started washing with conditioner only.

scata999
February 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Should clarify, my hair is naturally blonde. I would think the lighter your hair, the more you would notice a difference. Don't think this applies to dyed hair though.

Anje
February 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Seems like hair often looks a bit darker when it has more moisture, and COed hair usually is more moisturized (sometimes too much, depending on the person/hair/condish).