PDA

View Full Version : Happy happy happy! First compliments received!

lovebug
February 25th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Ok,

I donīt grow my hair to get compliments from other people, but now I understand how much it can brighten up your day when someone says "Oh you have so nice hair". This happened to me today, for the very first time ever!

What makes it even more valuable to me is that the person in question had never seen my hair in itīs previous horrible condition. So there was no comparison to my pre-LHC look. I know my hair feels much better nowadays, but this was the first time someone else commented on it.

And what were those words? "Wow, your hair is so shiny and that color looks like flames in the sun! How do you keep it that way?"

Do you guys remember the first time someone said something nice about your hair?

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Congrats! Those are great compliments. It feels great to be appreciated. :flowers:

I can't remember the first ones, honestly, because I'm sure they were about 15 years ago when my hair was getting this long the first time, but I know that most of the art and music department loved my long black hair with its red and sometimes purple and blue streaks. :D

Tutti_Frutti
February 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Hair compliments are always good to receive! Too bad I don't get them that often. My first hair comment was a couple of weeks ago when I had tried jojoba oil for the first time. The girl who gave me the compliment said my hair looked a lot better and smoother than usual (I still got some damaged ends on the top layers that always look frizzy). So that was nice because the jojoba oil really seems to help.

Capybara
February 25th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Congratulations on your compliments! they do accurately describe your hair :)

I'm not sure about my very *first* hair compliment either, but I do remember, a while back, when I was in middle school and had tailbone length hair, I went to a new hairdresser for the first time and he commented on my hair, saying "Never dye it! Your hair is so healthy and beautiful!"
That was the best haircut I've ever received, I think :P And the compliments were lovely as well!

Fairlight63
February 25th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Congradulations on your hair complements!

Yes, it does make you feel good when someone says that your hair looks "just beautiful" especially when you are feeling that you don't look very pretty & you are feeling "old". ( I have just below BSL gray hair & don't want to fit into the mold of every other over 60 yr. old lady that has their hair cut short & dyed - or cut short gray perm poodle do.) So when someone says that my hair looks pretty, it makes feel really good. I never know what to say back though except to smile & say "Thank You" Do you think that is enough?
What do you say back when some one makes a complement to you about your hair?

cmnt831
February 25th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Oh, that's wonderful! I've gotten compliments on the color of my hair all my life, but I got my first "Your hair's so pretty and long!" overall compliment just this month. :D Yes, it made my day - no I wasn't fishing for compliments on my hair.

lovebug
February 25th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for sharing this joy :D

Itīs only hair but I like it ;)

To me, as my face isnīt pretty and my body could be in better shape, hair is something I want to pamper as my "beauty". Iīm not used to hearing compliments about anything in my physical appearence, so every nice comment is something to remember :)

spidermom
February 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I remember my favorite compliment, which came from an older-than-me woman walking with her granddaughter in our neighborhood about 6 months ago: "Your hair is magnificent!"

ArienEllariel
February 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I haven't gotten any real life hair compliments yet other than my dad saying it looks so much better than it did.

embee
February 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I've not received any comments on how "beautiful" it is - because it's not really beautiful, being thin, straight, brownish-tan, and fine - but I have had "ooooh! your hair is so long!! " in a very friendly tone of voice. :) And a couple of comments about "how do you get your hair up like that" and "only a stick???".

I'm sure it made your day - flames in the sun, wow, that's pretty sweet. :)

*Rose Red*
February 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Oh yes, I love the colour of your hair, too! flames in the sun seems to be a good expression for it.

SheaLynne
February 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Oh, it does feel so nice. Those are lovely compliments, and very true!

Just yesterday, I got my first real compliment (other than all the sweet comments I've received here!) on my hair in its naturalness (not chopped, permed, curled, anything). One friend said how much she liked my hair up how I had it (high cinnabun) and another friend turned around and said "Yea, she has the hair that will do anything!"

Yes, I loved it and it made my day!

minuteofdecay
February 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
It's so exciting to get a hair compliment, especially after years of having horribly damaged locks.

I was at work and a customer comes up to me as I went to brush my hair out of my face and says "you have great hair".

THAT was all I needed to feel great about my hair and to keep motivated in taking care of it.

ohiofritty
February 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
>_< I used to get hair compliments all the time (along the 'thick/long' variety).

Now all I get are 'Wow thats a lot of grey, you must be getting old!' followed by a laugh to show that they are kidding with me. You get enough of that type of kidding around and man, you start not feeling too good about yourself.

I think about two or three years ago I got what I think was a compliment...it was 'gee your hair is long, it grows fast!' from two or three people. Even then though, its just a statement of length, not 'hey its so shiny' or 'hey your hair looks pretty'.

Anyway...I'LL SHOW THEM, I'LL GROW OUT MY GREY HAIR AND IT'LL BE SHINY AND YEAH!!!!

*cough*

sibiryachka
February 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I cut my BSL hair to chin length when I was 17. By the time I was in my early 20s it was back to BSL and, as it was mostly new growth, super healthy (sigh...). One day I was in the bathroom of a restaurant where I worked, braiding my hair before starting my shift. One of my regular customers, a retired lady, was in there at the same time, and she asked very wistfully "You've never had a perm, have you, dear?" I asked her how she could tell, and she said it was from the texture of my hair. I considered that a huge compliment, and every time the thought of getting one crossed my mind (it was the 80s, after all), the memory of it stopped me.

Tovah
February 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I have been getting compliments for a couple of months now only after briefly coming to LHC. After I managed to ameliorate the blow frying/dying damage over several years from heeding the advice I was so kindly given here. I wore my hair down and curly to work. The guys went wild almost all of them complimented me as well as my women colleagues. I tell you, it becomes addicting! They wanted to know what I 'did' to make it that way. I told them "nothing!" Well, except for finally taking good care of it and pampering it.

Recently I have received some compliments on how nice it looks pulled back and worn up. I tell you, this place is a self-esteem booster. I have had long hair in the past, but never received compliments on it like I do now.......and it's not even long yet!

In2JC724
February 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I've had long hair all my life, so it's not really something people have been noticing until lately, since I've been letting it get longer.. :D One was my brother, who lives out of town, came down this last weekend. He doesn't really say anything about my hair.. but I noticed that he kept reaching out and touching it.. or tugging on it.. so funny. I didn't notice until I went to move, most of the time, and realized I was attached to something! lol Like a little boys fascination, and he's almost 40! haha :D

The other was a friend recently came over and commented on how nice and long my hair is getting.. Which was cool. I've always had my hair between bsl and waist. Just in the last year or so, I stopped trimming so much and let it grow.. I am now almost at tailbone..I'm excited! My goal is classic.

It's always nice when someone complements you.

Topaz
February 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
The first compliment I can remember was when I was a teenager. A fellow-patient in my orthodontist's office very politely asked if I was wearing a wig. I was a little shocked, and didn't know whether to be insulted or not. I guess he saw my expression and quickly added that my hair was just so shiny and thick, and the swirly shades in my blonde hair were so gorgeous, that he figured it just had to be a wig. I told him no, it was all 100% natural and all my own, and he ended the conversation by saying that I was blessed to have such beautiful hair.

alexas
February 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
first compliments are always the best :)

congrats

Ravenne
February 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
That's awesome! Flames in the sun. How creative! :D And accurate. Your hair's beautiful.

I'm yet to get a hair compliment. But then again, my hair is only apl and still 60&#37; dye damage. Maybe one day.

BrightEyes
February 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Congrats on the compliments!:cheese: It's always nice when someone else notices all the hard work you've put into your hair.

Although I've never really gotten length compliments (obviously..lol), I've gotten quite a few compliments on the texture of my hair. Quite of few people have said that my hair is very soft. I've always assumed that is one of the few advantages of having fine hair.

Good work!!

Kelsey89
February 25th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I don't remember my first compliment, but I did receive one recently. It was from a guy that I had a teeny tiny crush on. He said that my hair looked nice, not once but, twice! :) Made my day.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Recently, the best one i've heard was "hey look! now you have some hair at least!!" :rolleyes:

ETA: when i say "recently", i mean in a year. :(