PDA

View Full Version : Zippers and hair.....

Nae
February 25th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I am noticing things I have never noticed before thanks to you guys!! I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and checked out with a fairly long haired cashier, her hair was down (probably BSL or a bit longer) and was in pretty good shape in the back but the front was a bit damaged.

Of course the gears in the brain start chugging away, what could cause that? How could I avoid that? What is going on? :confused:As I am noticing this discrepancy between hair damage from the front to the back I notice she is wearing a zip-up hoodie and as she reaches for the items coming across her register and then bags them her hair is swinging back and forth over the the teeth of the partially zipped up hoodie. It was kinda hypnotic......back and forth, back and forth, back and forth like one of those swinging watches. At this point my brain is telling me. Esh, stop watching this woman's zipper already!! Once I got myself out of "hair mode" and back into "normal shopping person mode" I came up with a theory. (Not an earth shattering theory I will admit, but I am no scientist.)

My theory is, eight hours of zipper rubbing a day is NOT good for hair. Brilliant huh?:bow: It is funny how I notice things like that now. I know I shouldn't be staring at other peoples ends, rude and all that, but the discrepancy was so odd it grabbed my attention. I am definately going to be careful about wearing hair down with zippered garments in the future. And that is the story why I have hair on the brain.:rolleyes:

curlylocks85
February 25th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I am noticing things I have never noticed before thanks to you guys!! I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and checked out with a fairly long haired cashier, her hair was down (probably BSL or a bit longer) and was in pretty good shape in the back but the front was a bit damaged.

Of course the gears in the brain start chugging away, what could cause that? How could I avoid that? What is going on? :confused:As I am noticing this discrepancy between hair damage from the front to the back I notice she is wearing a zip-up hoodie and as she reaches for the items coming across her register and then bags them her hair is swinging back and forth over the the teeth of the partially zipped up hoodie. It was kinda hypnotic......back and forth, back and forth, back and forth like one of those swinging watches. At this point my brain is telling me. Esh, stop watching this woman's zipper already!! Once I got myself out of "hair mode" and back into "normal shopping person mode" I came up with a theory. (Not an earth shattering theory I will admit, but I am no scientist.)

My theory is, eight hours of zipper rubbing a day is NOT good for hair. Brilliant huh?:bow: It is funny how I notice things like that now. I know I shouldn't be staring at other peoples ends, rude and all that, but the discrepancy was so odd it grabbed my attention. I am definately going to be careful about wearing hair down with zippered garments in the future. And that is the story why I have hair on the brain.:rolleyes:

That poor hair. I think even without the help of this forum and all the others I would still not let my hair rub up against zippers. It would not be that hard because my hair is curly and it would pull and hurt. At least the back was in decent shape.

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I agree, constant rubbing on anything, even the fabric of a tee-shirt can cause damage in the long run.

I too find myself hypothesizing on how other people could fix their visible hair "problems" (I say that in quotes, because where I would not be happy with what they're doing, they obviously are - I prefer to think ignorance is bliss!! ;)) when I'm out in public and waiting in line, or bored in a doctor's office. :D

MommaRalph
February 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
You're probably right. Here's another theory too: does the front of her hair have layers? I am growing out layers and there were lots of layers near the side of my face. The ends of the hairs of my layers split a lot and catch on eachother. I'll be glad when they're gone! :)

Valerie

embee
February 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Zippers love hair. Not quite as much as Velcro loves hair, but.... And metal zippers love hair more, in my experience.

So you're probably right, if she wears that hoodie a lot, and her hair swings across the zipper teeth all day long, there's gonna be some damage. They're not called "teeth" for nothing, after all! ;)

tralalalara
February 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
like MommaRalph said, it could also be layers growing out. or if it was all the same length, the hair coming from the top of the head is longer and older than hair from the nape, so it has weathered more?

Anje
February 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
My front sections are always a bit thinner and more damaged-looking than the rest, even though my hair spends most of its time up. Probably gets the most handling and is on the outside when pulled back. I think a lot of folks have shorter terminals near their face, though that's probably not quite what's going on here.

Zippers are nasty to braids, too. When I wear a braid, I often pull it over my shoulder, but if I'm wearing a coat or zip-hoodie, it likes to catch in there. I don't have a great solution, but I'm trying to learn to coil the braid inside the hood.

centurytoolate
February 25th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I got my hair caught in the zipper of a cash bag at work last week. Ouch. My front hair is the most beat up looking as it is without the help of zippers.

Isabelle1984
February 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
My hair gets caught in the zipper very often :mad:

Once I found a hair that was splitted 18-times! (I posted that pic)... Now I am pretty sure the splits were caused by the zipper !

spidermom
February 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I noticed quite awhile back that zip-up hoodie or jacket = my hair had better be securely bunned. Zippers are hard on braids, too.

Carolyn
February 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
A bun is the safest when wearing zippers hoodies or sweaters. Ask me how I know :D

Only hair watching LHC'ers would take note of this ;) Totally guilty here!

Gemma
February 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I got my hair stuck in my zipped up hoody yesterday and almost had a panic attack trying to get it out without damage. :3

Nae
February 25th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I don't remember layers, that is why it caught my eye. It had such a different texture in the front, I was mesmerized for a minute. This place has definately gone to my brain lol.

ZaBasDa
February 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
If the zipper is plastic I don't have much problem with it eating my hair. But all my heavy coats have metal zipper and they eat my poor hair. What's even worse is that my favorite heavy coat has a metal zipper down the middle of the hood that breaks hair even when my hair is in a bun or braid.

MandyBeth
February 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
My front is way more damaged than the rest - think it's just what gets handled more, plus since it's shorter (it does have a slower growth cycle than other areas), the ends come loose easy, then they just get damaged. No zipper contact yet - but eep, I was noticing girls wearing headbands that had zippers on them the other day.

Alas, yes, this site has caused me to sit and mentally correct a lot of hair. Mostly I just want to run around and add some nice SMT to everyone's hair, moisture, moisture, moisture!

filip
April 29th, 2023, 06:39 AM
this just happened to me, my hair touched the zipper when trying on a jacket and then i pulled the hair out the front but i heard the hair going through the teeth of the jacket and it made me very paranoid.

filip
April 29th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Should I be worried if the hair just went through the zipper teeth once? i heard a noise but not snapping but it was more like my curls were just being dentangled by it.

tuanyiji
April 29th, 2023, 09:19 AM
I basically avoid putting on clothes that contain zippers. I even put on my bonnet before I put on any top to reduce friction and mechanical damage.

embee
April 29th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Should I be worried if the hair just went through the zipper teeth once? i heard a noise but not snapping but it was more like my curls were just being dentangled by it.

Ignore it this time. Next time pay more attention to where your hair is in relation to the zipper.... just like I always have to do with Velcro. Darn, I love that stuff but it will *eat* my hair if it gets a chance. Bummer! ;)

filip
April 29th, 2023, 09:59 AM
how can I check for damage mid shaft, it's very hard to see especially as my hair is curly. There is obviously nothing I can do now. Would metal zippers really damage the hair though? I'm not even sure I thought it could just run through it.

filip
April 29th, 2023, 10:01 AM
It only went through the zipper gently It kind of teared through it but gently i didn't hear any snapping or anything..... it has happened before a long time ago tbh I am always aware to keep it away... but i really like this jacket.... i'm just oging to have be ultra careful.. it was a chunky kind of zipper.................... it don't see mthat sharp

filip
April 29th, 2023, 10:05 AM
well .......... guess i can't wear a jacket i just spent like 100$ on ........ f sake i was just trying it opn the first time in the mirror

lapushka
April 29th, 2023, 11:18 AM
I didn't even read the first message; just the title, and I went, "oh say no more" LOL ;)

filip
April 29th, 2023, 12:00 PM
i wonder if it's possible to invent some kind of zipper protector that attaches to the zip so that it doesn't snag hair and you can just wear your jacket open

lapushka
April 29th, 2023, 12:43 PM
i wonder if it's possible to invent some kind of zipper protector that attaches to the zip so that it doesn't snag hair and you can just wear your jacket open

Hmmm... doubtful... But you could always do some research; let us know what you find.

filip
April 29th, 2023, 12:55 PM
maybe i'll just put a bit of fabric tape over the zip lol... i'll have to think of something

baanoo
April 29th, 2023, 01:30 PM
maybe i'll just put a bit of fabric tape over the zip lol... i'll have to think of something

Maybe - if you’re wearing it open, that’s not an issue for hair; if you’re zipping it up I would just pull it to the back while zipping. My favorite jacket has a zipper and snaps both; while I usually wear it open sometimes I’ll just close it with a few snaps and not worry about the zipper.

filip
April 29th, 2023, 01:41 PM
Basically my hair gets in between the grooves of the teeth of the zipper, and when I remove the hair it kind of runs through it. This happens when the jacket is unzipped, If I just zipped it all the way up it's pretty safe but then I don't like of the look of it so much.

embee
April 29th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Basically my hair gets in between the grooves of the teeth of the zipper, and when I remove the hair it kind of runs through it. This happens when the jacket is unzipped, If I just zipped it all the way up it's pretty safe but then I don't like of the look of it so much.

Not a problem. That's like running through a comb. I thought you meant *caught* in the zipper, which has happened to me in the past. :) Enjoy your jacket.

filip
April 29th, 2023, 07:49 PM
well it's kind of too big for me anyway hahaha.... thinking of selling or returning if i can, (it was vintage used) not sure yet need to get some opinions from people i know in person.

baanoo
April 29th, 2023, 10:05 PM
Oooohh I thought, like embee, that it got caught in the zipper while zipping! Hmm, you could have the zipper replaced with one with finer teeth in that case.