PDA

View Full Version : Soft Ends

ItalianFlower
February 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Any advice on how to get them? Coconut oil is apparently not the way to go for my ends. The last like...inch or so of my hair always knots so easily and feels SO dry! :(

NiAosSi
February 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Clarify, might be build up. If it's not then I recommend trying olive oil.

ItalianFlower
February 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I have not tried Olive Oil. :D I'm excited to have something new to experiment with. The real reason why I responded is that I LOVE your icon! It's so clever. :)

Question: do you put the olive oil on ALL your hair, or just the ends?

Olde Soul
February 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I've been using hand cream as a leave-in while my hair's still wet and it gives me really soft ends.

Katurday
February 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Oh wow, for my crunchy ends, I did a few things. Clarified. Conditioned. Olive oil deep treatment. Virgin coconut oil light oiling... Chamomile tea rinse, Catnip rinse.

Ravenne
February 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I use olive oil whenever I feel like my ends need an extra softening boost (like tonight). Just slather it on before bed and wear a french braid.

SunshineHair
February 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Do you guys rinse the olive oil out of just leave it??

GoddesJourney
February 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Co seems to be helping me with this. My cr@ppy ends are now bearable. The other thing is S&D. Often, when my ends start to tangle and feel all velcroey, it's because they *are* velcroey. Splits stick to splits. Dry isn't so bad, since the CO does a lot for that.

Merewen
February 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM
You can put the oil on whatever hair you feel needs it. I usually concentrate on my ends, and it sounds like maybe that's what you should do too, if you're aiming for softening the ends.

Keep It Flowin
February 24th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Oh wow, for my crunchy ends, I did a few things. Clarified. Conditioned. Olive oil deep treatment. Virgin coconut oil light oiling... Chamomile tea rinse, Catnip rinse.
What is "clarified":confused: And what actually works (ed)?

Feli
February 25th, 2010, 12:29 AM
After washing this week I used aloe vera gel mixed with some coconut oil as a leave in and my ends are unbelievably soft - definitely softer than when I just use coconut oil. I read here in LHC that quite a few people use this mixture - might be worth giving it a go?

ItalianFlower
February 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Clarifying is when you use a shampoo that kind of strips your hair of all the build-up that results from product and shampoos/conditioner that we use on a regular basis. Clarifying tends to make the hair softer, shinier, that kind of thing. This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Suave-Shampoo-Daily-Clarifying-22-5oz/dp/B0000530LO but I DON'T do it daily. :) I do it about once a month at best.

ItalianFlower
February 25th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Feli, do you do half aloe, half coconut oil? How much? Just a little or enough to DRENCH it? Wash out or not?

Rhiannon7
February 25th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I say first clarify, either with a good clarifying poo or baking soda. I use a mix of Shea Butter, Almond oil and aloe vera gel on the hair from ears to ends. braid and then brush or comb the next morning. leaves my hair soft and shiny and the ends get very moisturized. I always use this mix on wet, just washed hair. but you can use it on dry hair also. just a quarter sized glob is enough for my almost waist length, 1B/1C, F hair. you can leave it in for several days, my hair absorbs it quite well and i only have to reapply at night if i want to.

If that does not help then maybe you need to cut an inch off the ends, that always works when my ends feel bad and dry. also a SMT can do the job. and if all else fails and you like coney leave ins, then buy a good, deep moisturizing leave in treatment and use every day.

do you use poo and condish with cones? can you share your routine? Some people's hair just does not like coconut oil, i know mine cannot accept it, tangles alot and gets drier. BTW use the clarifying poo a little less, like once every 6 weeks, it might be one of the reasons your ends are behaving badly. I use cones and i clarify once every 2 months, or when i need to, sometimes i can go for 6 months without clarifying. your hair is alot more needy of moisture since it's curly. and you can actually get away with using alot more oil and shea butter since the curls absorb it quite well.

HTH.

Feli
February 25th, 2010, 03:56 AM
ItalianFlower: I've only done it once so far but seem to have just got the right mixture by chance - I first scraped a finger-nail's worth of coconut oil and rubbed it into my palms and then put one small dollop (like a dime) of aloe vera on top, rubbed my hands together and rubbed the mixture through the length of my damp/almost dry hair after washing. The amount was just right for what was then my hip-length hair (just had it trimmed back to waist). I'm definitely going to keep using it. It is the best leave-in I've used so far (phyto and sanoll and coconut oil by itself were all good, but this is better in my hair).

Melisande
February 25th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Fox' sheabutter mixture is still the best for my ends. You have to find the right mixture of ingredients, though, which might be tricky. I use refined sheabutter, jojoba and camelia oil, and one of my favorite conditioners (from Germany: Alverde or Sante). I whip it together and it's a lovely fluffy cream that my ends love.

It took a while until they got used to oils but now I always do a deep oiling before wash, and light oilings in-between.

You may have to experiment a bit. Keep your ends tucked in well in updos. Wash CWC, it also helps to keep them moisturized. And sometimes tiny trims help better than anything else.

curlylocks85
February 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I use olive oil on all of my hair. It is good for your scalp in helping to promote hair growth and it feels fabulous on my length especially the ends. I usually soak my ends in olive and jojoba oil and it seems to keep my heat damaged ends softer.

curlylocks85
February 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Do you guys rinse the olive oil out of just leave it??

I definitely leave mine in. :)

Nae
February 25th, 2010, 07:35 AM
All these are really great ideas!! I don't have a suggestion for a particular product to use, I will just note that in the winter months my hair is miserably dry. I have started to sleep in a room with a humidifier and that helped immensely both with my dry hair and my dry skin. Good luck!!

Irishred
February 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
On your in-between time of clarifying, DTing and oiling, you may want to S&D. My ends are always getting dry and tangly. I wash my hair only once a week (twice a week in the summer). I clarify about once a month, DT about twice a month and daily coconut oil and/or cocoa butter the length especially the ends. If I go too long without S&Ding, my ends will get really bad with tangles. In the winter it is worse, so I try to S&D weekly.

Personally, I don't like the smell of olive oil and it is too heavy for my hair. Jojoba Oil works OK, but I have a hard time finding a pure form at a good price (I can get a gallon of coconut oil for just a few dollars)