PDA

View Full Version : Is black hair boring?

guccixx
February 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
So I've had jet black hair my entire life. It's just SO boring. My best friend is a blonde and it's so gorgeous because she has natural highlights and yet my hair is all black with no dimension or life to it. I really want to do a double process and lighten the all over shade then get highlights laced throughout.

I want to baby my hair so it'll grow healthy but I'm frustrated with this hair. :confused: Anyone else get bored w/ their color or am I being stupid?

Fractalsofhair
February 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
How about doing manic panic to get a reddish tint in your hair?Or a blue black color? Maybe ask a stylist for very subtle natural dark highlights for more dimension(which isn't too harmful, if she doesn't do too many of them)

I got bored with my color, so I dye it red.

guccixx
February 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Do you think the manic panic would work? My hair is seriously like the darkest shade possible. Sorry if I sound stupid, I've had my hair dyed once when I was like 14 so I don't know that much about hair dye.

sapphire-o
February 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
That's why you need hairtoys of every color to make it more interesting. :D I like my hair color, at least it matches all clothes and accessorie's colors. Though I do have natural red highlights. Perhaps you can try some highlights? Or maybe even those clip in colored hair for a temporary but interesting effect.

redtea
February 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I've always thought black hair was beautiful! Of course, I have naturally ashy dark blonde hair and have dyed it nearly every color except black because it would look bad on me, but if I could pull it off, trust me, I would have tried! We always want want we don't have, I guess. :)

Copasetic
February 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I get bored with my hair colour all the time. I wish I had a hair colour like yours. Every once in a while I tell myself that I am going to dye my hair a dark chocolate brown, but I never actually do it. Hair colouring is too much work.

Fractalsofhair
February 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Manic panic won't make your hair as bright, but it will change the tone. It will make your hair more of a reddish black, or a blue black. (I've used it on my hair and some of my hairs are blue black, and they turned red black with it) It's not going to be drastic, but don't prebleach and you'll have no damage and a nice subtle change.

Ursula
February 24th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Well cared for, I don't think black hair is boring.

Black hair can have incredible shine. If it is straight it can have an almost mirror-like effect. If it is curly, the reflections off of the curls, with light reflecting at different angles, can be a fascinating effect.

Also, many people with black hair have rather brown complexions. The black hair provides a good contrast with their skin. When black hair is bleached, it tends to go to a sort of orange-brown, which can create a sort of all-brown monochrome look, which is not always as flattering as the black hair.

You might want to look at the black-hair instructions at http://www.hennaforhair.com/indigo/index.html which is 100% henna, followed by 100% indigo. It seems to create an intense back with deep shine, which may bring more life to you black hair without going for something that is both damaging to your hair and less natural-looking with your complexion.

Black hair also provides a wonderful contrast and background for interesting hair toys, allowing colors to shine and metals to sparkle.

catysue
February 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I absolutely ADORE black hair!

Katurday
February 24th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Black hair is AMAZING. Oh, the shine, the shiiiine!
As for boredom, we all get it. Some fight it with henna, some with Manic Panic, some bleach streaks in, some play with hairtoys...And even though we're the most anti-damage group out there...Hair should be fun and enjoyed. Do whatever with your black hair that makes you feel good (just follow our 2 week rule).

frodolaughs
February 24th, 2010, 07:12 PM
As a fellow black-hair, I think the 'grass is always greener' concept applies. I haven't changed my hair color because
1. I like my hair healthy, and I know that any major change would require bleach. I think bleached and fried hair looks unhealthy.
2. I look at my complexion and know that other hair colors would look weird with my face.
3. I like my hair color, and it looks good with a whole lot of different colored clothes, scarves and hairtoys.

talecon
February 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I love black hair. It looks the silkiest and softest. I love it when I dyed my hair black but it didnt look right with my brown skin tone. Id love it still though :P

BelleBot
February 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Not in the slightest. I've had black hair a few times (always fades on me though fairly quickly). I love the colour, the shine off darkest jet black hair can be amazing. Plus it looks so elegant. To be honest I find blonde and brown hair boring, everyone seems to have highlights nowadays.
I'd suggest using something like manic panic as already suggested as it'll give it a different colour which will catch in the light. You'll still have black hair, but perhaps shining blue or red when it catches the sun.

ravensinger13
I think it's beautiful the way it is, and would never risk losing it all with bleaching. Blondes don't have to be the one's having all the fun!

Arrow Juniper
Black hair, and yours especially! is beautiful. If I were a religious, I would exclaim, Glory in what the Good Lord gave You! Seriously, though, your hair is Your hair -- the product of your body -- your child, even. Think you should just love it, seriously. :D

Luckysock
February 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Really?! I love jet black hair - I think it is so striking, esp when it is natural (I tried it in high school and it was too strong on me) I do understand getting bored with your natural colour - but I would try some other things like hair toys before messing with the colour...

italianamama
February 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Not at all, and your hair is beautiful! :D I have very very dark brown hair and I LOVE the deep shade. I make rinses from black tea, expresso, and molasses (it smells as good as it sounds) and that brings out a ton of natural shine.

guccixx
February 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I will give the manic panic a try. Also the espresso rinse sounds interesting. I guess I do need to invest in some hair clips and toys. I just need to figure out how to use them! LOL.

ArienEllariel
February 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
And here I was always envying people with black hair.. :o

MandaMom2Three
February 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
oooooo I WISH I had naturally black hair! I use Manic Panic in Raven right now, soon to be hendigo. It would be SO NICE to have black hair without the upkeep :rolleyes: . I love how black hair can be accentuated with neat toys and stuff, just sets it off so well!

spidermom
February 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Somewhere out there a blonde is dyeing her hair black at this very moment; you can be sure of it. If I could have it naturally, I'd choose beautiful black hair, like yours. But I can't, and the mere thought of having to keep up with roots makes me tired, so I'll just keep the blonde (and white).

tralalalara
February 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
To me, black hair = pocahontas + jasmine + snow white. And they're like, the hottest Disney princesses.
Don't let it get boring for you when it's exotic to everyone else!

nellreno
February 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I don't think black hair is boring at all! Dark-colored hair tends to shine beautifully, and really contrasts well with most hairtoys!

oceanwoman111
February 24th, 2010, 08:27 PM
No way!! I darkened my hair with semi permanent color for years because wanted black hair. Hair like yours! It's exotic and mysterious. Try to accessorize it with vibrant earrings. When I had mine really dark, I had these long, silver earrings with tourquoise in the middle. Always got compliments. Black hair is beautiful! :agree:

walterSCAN
February 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Oh, if only we could trade hair colors... :wink: I'm terribly jealous of anyone whose hair grows in a shade (any, to be honest... red, brown, black) of dark...

I do understand getting bored with your color, but dear god yours is gorgeous! I'm glad you have decided to try manic panic before lightening it... let us know how it comes out!!

ravenreed
February 24th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I don't find black hair boring in any way, however, it is not MY hair. I get bored with my hair all the time and it would not matter what my starting color was. Since I didn't start with black, black is new and exciting, as far as I am concerned. Does that make any sense?

Avalin
February 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I also love black hair!
If I could have any coloring it would probably be black hair, blue eyes and pale skin. I think that combo is so cool!
Light browns and blonde usually look horrible on people with naturally very dark hair. I hate when African Americans change their hair color... it just looks so wrong. They are much more beautiful naturally.

Kirry-Folk
February 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
No way. Black hair is gorgeous. If I couldn't be a redhead, I would definitely want black hair.

girloctopus
February 24th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I think black hair looks amazing! I don't think it's boring at all. It's a vivid dramatic color, especially against a pale skin tone. My best guy friend has very dark brown/near black hair and pale skin, with green eyes and I think it makes a gorgeous contrast.

Anyway, why would they have the phrase "raven-haired beauty" if black hair was boring?

dragonfrog
February 24th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Black hair is not boring at all! My natural color is very dark brown, and for years I dyed it the darkest black imaginable, because I find that hair color beautiful. I still miss it occasionally.

karenpetal
February 24th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Personal opinion black hair is not boring at all ! Though I have experimented with reddish tinge and higlights - 2 week rule applies

urara12
February 24th, 2010, 11:50 PM
oh! I always love Black hair :) like Fan BingBing beautiful silky long hair. ( this is fan BingBing, )http://myhaircuts.blogspot.com/2008/08/asian-long-balck-hairstyle-fan-bingbing.html

and HAIFA WEHBE's black hair is just gorgeous:p

Nilaihah
February 25th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I dye my hair since years, and most of the time it was black without any shades. I often felt boring with my hair colour, but don’t want to go to dark brown etc. (my natural colour is something like dark blond).
Half year ago I started with henndigo and now I have brown and reddish shades in my hair (not at least in the lengths, they are to long time dyed) and I really love it! At the moment I wouldn’t leave the black at all, but I would never go back to this dark black! :)

Maybe some henna is a option for you?
What I wanted to say: I love black hair – but they are different shades and I think it’s addicted of the individual person what looks best :)

(Don’t note grammar failures..:uhh:)

Tomato
February 25th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I have jet black hair and I would not call it boring, never, ever!
It is very shiny and healthy and it glows in the sun.
And I don't think that yours is boring. I know, I have a similar feeling when I see people with curly hair- mine is straight and I always wanted curls. And, of course, the curly heads want straight hair.
So, indulge your hair with henna and indigo, that adds sparkle and shine and you will start loving your black hair!

Sunny regards from sunny Vienna,
Tomato

Thinthondiel
February 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I love black hair! I dye mine black every now and then, although I get lazy and let it grow at least a couple of inches and fade a little between each time I dye it. I'm absolutely in love with my hair every time I've just dyed it jet black! :)

Juneii
February 25th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I kinda relate, I've had black hair all my life, it does get pretty boring all one color and stick straight :(

lilravendark
February 25th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I used to think that too until I did my hair almost every shade under the sun, black can be really gorgeous as people have mentioned the shine on healthy black hair can look amazing on any texture straight,wavy, curly, I love the look of wavy black hair the best when the sun hits it looks like a dark ocean :cool:

Aer
February 25th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I also vote for manic panic. But I also want you to know that I've never heard anyone say that black hair is boring, quite the opposite actually. Iv'e heard black hair described as exotic, mysterious, and intriguing. However, I understand, and I get bored time to time with my hair color, and I think it's a common feeling.

BTW, I think your hair is beautiful.

IttyBittyKitty
February 25th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I can relate to this too,i have dyed black hair and because it is so dark you cant see highlights and i miss my henna red hair so much.....:(
But since bleaching is not an option to me i try to make the most out of it-henna works on black hair too,gives it a nice red shine especially outside in the sun.Also as other people have mentioned,hairtoys are great with black hair because you can use any color without having to think about it looking odd with the haircolor.

Elenna
February 25th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I just love straight, shiny hair like yours. I once saw someone with natural blue highlights in her hair.

Airisuu
February 25th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Definitely not! I think it's our nature to be attracted to what we don't have though. I love black hair so much that I dyed my hair black for a long while. The only reason I don't still keep it black is that I don't want to have to dye my roots every couple of weeks. (And blonde roots on black hair makes it look like you're going bald D: I had to stop.)

If it fits your style, maybe even consider going a little blingy with your hair accessories. Sparklies look sooooooo nice next to lovely dark hair!

merryhair
February 25th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Not at all!!! Actually, I dyed my hair "black" recently and I love it!! My natural hair color is very very dark brown with some copper/reddish shades..but you can only see them in the sun:o Dying it black really made it look gorgeous! I love black hair! But then I totally agree with "we don't like our own hair color" thing. Obviously that's why I dyed it in the first place:p

curlylocks85
February 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
many people with black hair have rather brown complexions.

That is interesting. All the people I have ever seen IRL with black hair always had very light complections.

JenniferNoel
February 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I love black hair. Always have, always will. I'm a snow white person and the only color that looks perfect on me is jet black (with blue/purple undertones :D).
No matter what skin color though black always looks great. Don't kill your lovely hair.

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Well, it's not boring to most of us who don't have it, lol. I dyed repeatedly while in high school to get mine black. Of course, people who don't have chestnut-brown hair tend to like it more than those of us who do. I suspect it may be a grass-is-greener thing. Your hair is lovely and shiny. :flower:

hmmm
February 25th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I can absolutely relate to this feeling. I think blonde hair looks so gorgeous and has so much more character, getting lighter in the summer months and growing out dark in winter, and has so many different shades. Black hair is just... bleh.

Having said that, I wouldn't ever try to dye mine blonde. It just looks out of place on people with Asian complexions. If I got desperate, I would try the honey lightening method, but I can't see myself being patient enough for that. For now, I have henna, and when I get bored of it, I can try indigo.

There are many advantages to having black hair, and one of them is being able to henna as much as you want without worrying about the resulting red!
This reminds me of my favourite advantage of having dark skin - you never get sunburnt, only very very tanned. But that's way off topic.
Point is, enjoy your hair! It's true that black hair can be amazingly shiny, I sometimes find myself admiring mine more than usual hehe.

Pixna
February 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
We all want what we don't have. Jet black hair is phenomenal, especially if it's natural. My eyes just get lost in really black hair. In fact, just last night I was watching a television program (which will remain nameless, so I don't embarrass myself), and I commented to my husband on one of the young men's jet black hair color -- it's gorgeous. If you (or your family) are from a part of the world where jet black hair is common, it may seem "blah" to you. To the rest of us, it's beautiful, mysterious, and awe inspiring. That's why there are dyes on the market for people to try to obtain what you were blessed with naturally. Nothing in a box or bottle can compare with pure, natural, jet black hair. If I had it, I wouldn't change a thing.

bumblebums
February 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I dyed my hair black for years. To me, my own brown hair was boring. So no, I don't think it's boring. It is striking, and it's the shiniest hair out there. In my opinion, no other hair color reflects light in quite the same beautiful way as black hair. (Not to say that other colors aren't beautiful, too, it's just something particular about black.) Enjoy it!

Tutti_Frutti
February 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Personally, I really like black hair. It looks very exotic and black hair is the most shiny hair color from what I've ever seen.

Tabitha
February 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Black is my absolute favourite hair colour! especially the blue-black that Elenna mentions. For ages I longed for it, but realise that it wouldn't suit my complexion.

lora410
February 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Back hair is not boring. Darker hair really shines a lot. I henndigo to get black hair.

Kris Dove
February 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I've always wanted black hair, so nope, definitely not boring! I even dyed mine black for a few years and only went back to my roots for lower maintenence and something that lookedokay on my skin colouring without having to use a ton of makeup everyday.I still miss my black hair.

Anje
February 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but I just want to chime in that I love jet-black hair. I grew up in a community with lots of Hmong/Hmoob people, and always envied the often blue-black shiny hair they had. I also always thought it'd be cool if my brother, who has nearly black hair, would dye his with a little blue to make it look that way. (Instead, I ended up using blue Koolaid on the younger brother's light brown hair, which made it look gray for a week or so. Ah, childhood.)

phistash
February 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Not at all, and your hair is beautiful! :D I have very very dark brown hair and I LOVE the deep shade. I make rinses from black tea, expresso, and molasses (it smells as good as it sounds) and that brings out a ton of natural shine.

I need to know this recipe...or at least how you apply it.

Gatubela
February 25th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I don't find it boring at all. It's beautiful. Although I do not have black hair and don't know if I'd get bored of it or not since I tend to get bored with everything after a while... what I would probably do is add some mild blueish highlights or something like that. Or maybe just using stuff to give it a lot of shine. It's a lovely color.

chopandchange
February 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Black hair isn't boring! No hair colour is boring! I personally think that everyone's hair looks best if kept in its natural virgin colour, because it's healthiest that way and is more likely to be shiny and soft. :)

BrightEyes7
February 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Go get the dark chocolate brown Nice n' Easy hairdye (I like it because it has "multi dimensional highlights") just get the one box. And mix according to the directions and add it to some conditioner or even a deep conditioner. Slather it on your hair. Let it sit for like 40 minutes. Rinse.

It should give you subtle highlights and shine without damaging your hair.

I know it is a chemical dye but I use it every few months and it doesn't ruin my hair! :cheese:

IndigoAsh
February 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I have black hair, it's a few inches shorter than yours, and has a lot of wave. I love my hair and get a lot of compliments on the color. Some people spend a ton of money trying to get our color hair!! Box blacks are obvious. I think it's ok to try new things with your hair. However, I wouldn't suggest anything that involves bleaching. Even if by a professional. Just my two cents. Hope you find something that works.

minuteofdecay
February 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm naturally a brunette and I dyed my hair black for about 6 years. I would keep dying it black, but I'm also trying to baby my hair. I think black is the most beautiful colour hair could be.

And of course you're going to get bored with your hair colour. Sometimes I would get bored just having black hair so I would bleach (oh god...) some of it and dye it green, or purple, or something like that... or sometimes I would try to bleach all the black out and make it brown, or blonde, but I would realise how much I didn't like it and go back to black. But it's like your clothes... you'll get bored of the clothes you have and want something new... so instead of dying your hair... go shopping!

And just think, there are people in this world that are jealous of your hair colour (like me!).

DarkChocolate
February 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Nope:) I think it is beautiful:)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Honestly, i think black is the best haircolor ever. Not only it makes hair look healthier and shinier than it actually is, it matches every color and style.

PiroskaCicu
February 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I have always loved black hair! I truly admire a person with long , healthy black hair. It is so beautifully shiny and brilliant. I have always wished to have black hair, I just know I would not look good with it! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, huh? : )

Akiko
February 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM
If it is, my hair is possibly the most boring... :eek:

I don't think natural black hair looks flat, though. Does it?

BrightEyes
February 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM
No way! Black hair is absolutely beautiful! I have a sister-in-law with black hair and I love just staring at it. It's so shiny and healthy and gorgeous. I'm so envious of her hair. To be honest, I actually prefer dark hair. If I could get away with it, I would totally have dark hair. But I've tried that before and with my coloring I looked like a zombie.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think natural black hair looks flat, though. Does it?

What do you guys refer to with "flat"? Single color? If flat really means single color all over, that's exactly what i'm aiming for. Flat hair FTW! :D

bubbles_87
February 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have black hair too and is getting bored with the color. Before it was Red then was bored of that color and changed it back to black. So no matter what color I dye my hair I always go back to my natural color. I think you should stick with it! add some glaze to give it that extra sheen! black hair is sexy.

chargersfan
February 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I love, love, love black hair. I'm a natural blonde, and dyed my hair black once, and loooved it. It just required too much upkeep to keep it black, so I went back to my natural color.

Kalyca
February 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
i've always thought that black hair was very striking and beautiful. ^^

BlackfootHair
February 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Is black hair boring?????

Are you kidding me???? lol

NO WAY! :D Now perhaps I'm biased here....I do dye it black. My natural color is a medium brown, with super platinum blond baby hairs in the front. My eyebrows are naturally dark. I started dying my hair in highschool to a dark brown. I'd leave in on my head for an hour just so it would go really really dark. (my mom wouldn't let me dye it black.)

I have dyed my hair black for a very long time. For a few short times I tried to grow out my natural/dyed my natural with henna....but went back to black. It's like my adopted natural color. It's a color I feel most natural and comfortable in. And I've received many compliments on it. Some hairdressers have made comments on it negatively, but I don't care. I do the best work on my hair to make it look as natural as possible. I've seen many girls running around with black hair that screams "I came from a box!". But not all look so fake. I personally use a demi blue black. It doesn't contain ammonia, and isn't doing anything more than depositing. My hair stays moisturized and not dried out. SHINE is key for black hair...especially if it's from a box. Lack of shine on any color, especially black hair, doesn't look nice.

I also use Sunsilk Black shine shampoo from Thailand. :love:

Prism
February 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I haven't read any of your replies, so this is straight from me with no influence. I LOVE jet black hair. As a child I always wanted jet black hair. When it's healthy, it reflects the light like no other shade. When it's wavy with some gel, it just shimmers. Colored hair gets boring to me. I hate seeing bleached hair. I mean, a bleached blonde just never looks the same as a natural blonde no matter how good the coloring job. Highlights are usually so obvious. But a thick mane of healthy, jet black hair--woooww. Anything but ordinary or boring.

I love the look of Jennifer Connelly -- very dark hair, very pale skin. It is stunning.

Yes, I get bored with my color, but I know from experience that boredom is temporary, hair color damage is permanent. Whatever you do, you'll eventually be bored with IT, too, so you might as well not do something permanent and damaging. And no, I don't think there's any form of hair color that is not damaging. Hair is its best shape when left its natural color and not altered with heat products, etc.

It sounds like it's time to try some new hair toys. Maybe rent some long hair videos and get some inspiration for a new look. I new clip, a new style, can really ease up the boredom in a nondamaging way. I'm sure there's a long-hair-movie thread around here someplace if you want specifics.

Good luck. I hope you don't color. Your hair is gorgeous.

Akiko
February 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
What do you guys refer to with "flat"? Single color? If flat really means single color all over, that's exactly what i'm aiming for. Flat hair FTW! :D

LoL! Maybe it's good to be flat sometimes. I think what the OP meant by "flat" is just as she mentioned in the first post, lifelss, black all over.

I have seen some very lifeless flat dyed black hair. Especially some old folks in my native country color their hair in black. It looks pretty bad, I think. Part of it might be their aging skin (well, I cannot call my skin young..:rolleyes: but anyway... ) does not look good with that dark black hair. But natural black hair often looks so shiny. I like it.

BlackfootHair
February 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I realize that this commercial has cgi, but it's still gorgeous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKIMbK3o1Vg

guccixx
February 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Aahhhh. Thanks for all the nice replies. I didn't expect to get this many. I guess it's because everyone with my heritage has super dark hair. I'm east/southeast asian and all of us have the same hair: straight, black and long. I'm still considering color change, albeit subtle, or adding some shine. Also, someone (sorry I can't remember the handle) mentioned that usually pale people have black hair - most of the people I see with jet black hair are asian.

IndigoAsh
February 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM
mom mom is mexican american and my dad is scottish american. He has jet black hair green eyes and fair skin. My mom has black hair and dark skin. I think it just depends on the person. I think most arabics have black hair and so do eastern indians. just my two cents.... again.

EdG
February 25th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't think my hair has ever been described as boring.
:blueeek:, :shocked:, :agape:, :shake:, :thumbsup:, and :thud: perhaps, but never boring. :)
Ed

kwaniesiam
February 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I love black hair! Especially sleek, shiny blue-black. If you're bored with your color maybe try Manic Panic After Midnight blue to give it a blue sheen temporarily.

RavennaNight
February 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Black hair boring? :rollin: I'm a blonde and I henndigo my hair jet black. I love black hair.

christine1989
February 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Black is my favorite hair color! It is naturally more shiny than blonde and I think it is more noticeable. So many girls dye their hair blonde that I don't even notice blonde hair anymore.

Alexannee10
February 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Black hair is not boring !! :O My natural color is blonde, and I henna or dye (bad I know ..) dark brown, even black, and I love it!

Sissy
February 25th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I love black hair and wish I had it naturally!

Marz Hase
February 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Absolutely not! I have an almost black brown hair with a blonde shine, which I hate! I either want jet black or black with a red shine. Currently I dye my hair with stuff from Sally's once every six months.... A mixture of purple and black. It fades close to my natural color, only with a red shine. I'm thinking of switching to henna/indigo, but I don't even know WHERE to begin!

Debra83
February 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Black hair is awesome!!! Shiny, long black hair is envious!!!! Think of Cher in the early days, and Crystal Gail. Beautiful.

templeofvenus
February 26th, 2010, 02:19 AM
no way is it boring I dye mine black! I wish I had naturally black hair it looks lovely. Dark hair always shines more too, you are soooo lucky to have that naturally :)

Aditi
February 26th, 2010, 02:38 AM
How i wish i could have your hair color, i love Black hair :heart:

lilravendark
February 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I also use Sunsilk Black shine shampoo from Thailand. :love:
WAA! lol back when my hair was waist length I bought back a bottle from Thailand after visiting the relatives, loved it looks like tar coming out of the bottle! Oh so shiny!

PearlyCurly
February 26th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I love black hair! But it can become boring because it is a hard color to change!

rhubarbarin
February 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Well, sometimes we want what we don't have. It's your hair and you should do what makes you happy - but - you also want long, healthy hair, and bleaching it is really not the best means to that end. Experimenting with indigo and henna sounds like a good idea to me.

As someone with blondish hair in about 5 different shades - it's not that exciting when it just grows that way, trust me.

I covet black hair. I like darker hair in general, true black hair is quite rare, and it's so shiny and provides such a contrast to most things. I think it's very striking. Also, it usually works very well with the coloring of people who have it. IMO when you have naturally very dark hair it is easy to get a not-as-flattering color when you lighten it.

I will never get to have it. :( True black would be all wrong with my coloring. I could maybe do a dark, warm brown, but my hair is light and doing my roots every few weeks would be too much trouble.

deko
February 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I would love to have a black hair, but I'm just too colorless (is that a word?) for it. If you want some change to it and don't want to harm your hair you might try to add some colorfull micro loop extention highlites. Or add henna so ypu can get beautiful red shine to black hair.

I really envy black hair! It is so beautiful and silky-looking and lovely!

Nera
February 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'd kill for a one dimensional jet black color like yours!

Capybara
February 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I would love to have black hair! It shows shine so much more easily (: And, you can wear different colored hairtoys more easily, IMO. The vibrant colors just don't look as nice with my haircolor.

I think that black hair is stunning. You are very blessed :) :flower:

Beloved
February 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Katurday, what's the 2 week rule??

cuddledumplin
February 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Black hair is amazing! I always wanted it, and when I was younger I died my boring brown hair black, but dyed black hair always looks dull and blue (or at least the dyes I tried did).

RavennaNight
February 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
It's funny now because whenever I come to the Mane Forum I see this thread now and I have to fight this defensive itch inside me when I see the word "boring!":lol: I know I'm just being silly and the OP is just craving something different. I love having black hair:inlove: and I just have so much trouble thinking it would be anywhere near boring. It's funny too, because many folks with dark hair want to be blonde, and I, the natural blonde, did the exact opposite. I always get asked why, all the time, too! As if I did something backwards to what everyone else did and it is confusing to them or something. One of these days I'm gonna have to get into close contact with a scanner and post some old blonde pics so it can be seen that blonde, even being born with it, isn't for everyone:), especially not me. I love glossy black hair.

Chrissy
February 27th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I haven't read all the replies but.....I think black hair is anything but boring. I think it is classic and beautiful. My hair has always been blonde/dark blonde, now it's more like light brown with some red and lighter blonde in it. My picture does not do my true color well at all.

I've always adored black hair. I never understood why everyone wants blonde hair. If I wouldn't look like snow white I would love to have darker hair. You should do whatever you want but I think your black hair is beautiful!!!

celluloidwings
February 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Black hair isn't boring at all. I was born with blue-black hair, but now it's an ashy brown color naturally. :( I'd kill to have that color again, but I second using a veggie based dye to give it a nice sheen. A dark purple would be nice. :)

C_Bookworm
February 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
i think black hair is beautiful. So dramatic. But if you really want a change, have you thought about henna to achieve a red sheen or indigo to get blue-black hair? Both are very unique colors and would be a very healthy way to change your hair color