PDA

View Full Version : One handed Updos?

Shorty89
February 24th, 2010, 04:57 PM
My right hand is out of comission for a little while - no broken bones, but stitches and lots of cuts bruises. I can comb my hair alright but updos are a major challenge. Unfortunatly I have to do my own hair. I can't ask anyone else to do it. What updos or strategies can you guys recommend?

coscass
February 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I remember I used to do something in school with a pencil you could probably do with a hairstick. You just twirl the hairstick or pencil around in your hair until it tightens, and then tilt it back and stuff it into the bun so it anchors to your head. It's not really anything special or anything, but I can do it with one hand.

frodolaughs
February 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I don't have any suggestions, but I hope you get lots from other people. I'll check back to find out--it seems like a good thing to know for 'just in case.' Sorry to hear about your hand. I hope it recovers quickly and well from whatever happened to it.

sarah061
February 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I remember I used to do something in school with a pencil you could probably do with a hairstick. You just twirl the hairstick or pencil around in your hair until it tightens, and then tilt it back and stuff it into the bun so it anchors to your head. It's not really anything special or anything, but I can do it with one hand.

Ooh, that's a good idea! I used to do that too. I've been trying to think of something and practicing on myself, lol, but it's really hard! I just can't seem to pull it all up and back with one hand and have it still look smooth... Good luck anyway - that twirly pencil bun idea should work!

restourceful
February 24th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Sadly, I have no advice for you but I can relate. I had surgery a little over a year ago and was one handed for over three months. I was never able to do anything because my good hand was my non-dominant hand. I hope you have better success than I did.

A funny story, though. I mentioned to my teenage nieces that I couldn't do a pony with one hand. They said they could do it. Watching them struggle and make odd faces while they tried had me absolutely in tears laughing.:rollin:

Renbirde
February 25th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I do cinnabuns almost one handed-- my non-dominant just sort of pats the center to keep it tucked in until I get the hairstick in there. I think getting all the hair more- or less in the same place would be the hardest part, but it's still doable... (I think. Hard to say, since I don't know exactly where you've been wounded.)

You might be able to fudge a lazy wrap bun too, if your non dominant index finger and thumb are in okay shape--- do that first loop around them (held apart) instead of the back of your hand. And you can hold the tail down as you're wrapping by pinning it to the back of your head with your wrist, I think...

(Any chance this accident of yours involved a monitor lizard?)

:grouphung: Hope you feel better soon!

GoddesJourney
February 25th, 2010, 12:45 AM
If I was your length I could one-handed braid over my shoulder. It isn't that tight, nor does it look professional, but it's a braid. My hair is too short so I can't go that far with it. However, the cinnabun thing actually works. I bet you could do that bun flip thing (again, mine is too short to hold a flip) because I can bun mine. If you could hold it down for a second with your carnage hand :D, you could even grab a hairstick or u pin and put it through.

eternallyverdan
February 25th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Out of curiousity, I just tried a couple of the things that people mentioned one-handed, with varying success. I could do a cinnamon bun, but only if I twisted the first bit behind my back and then pulled it over the top of my head and held it in place with my non-dominant wrist while I twisted it to the ends (though that may just be a lack of coordination on my part that I can't do it with just one hand).

The easiest thing that I've managed is twisting the first couple inches like you would to make a cinnamon bun, then shoving a hairstick through that and wrapping the rest around the base without twisting.

I'm sorry to hear about your hand! I hope you feel better soon.

Teazel
February 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM
The question is, can you use your hurt hand to just steady whatever you're doing, even if you can't actually hold anything? That would make a big difference. A Gibraltar bun would be doable then - probably others. Good luck! :)

Anlbe
February 25th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Hope your hand feels better soon. My left hand was out of commission a couple of months ago due to an encounter with a sharp knife and an avocado. I found that with a bit of practice it is possible to do a straight forward bun one handed. Take all your hair in one hand fingers underneath and twist as if you were going for a french twist, that gets the hair high enough and twisted then it's easyish to put in a bun. Then you just have to get the hair stick or pin quickly enough, for which I sometimes had to put an elastic band around my wrist to keep the stick there.

sapphire-o
February 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Have you tried the "equilibrium bun"? It can twists and bend with one hand, you might have to hold the stick in that same hand while twisting, but I think it's possible to use just one hand to do it. Might not look as good as two handed version but at least hair is up. Hmm I think if you have a two-prong fork it might be easier to hold onto than a stick, just hang it on your thumb.

Hope your hand gets better soon. I once broke my right hand and during the recovery period my left hand learned all sorts of tricks, even writing. Even now I have a few things that have to be done by my left hand, habits continued from that period. :)