PDA

View Full Version : Wet-Set for Shoulder & APL Hair: Non-shrinking spiral curls! (pic heavy)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Finally i found a way to curl my hair without losing half the length :D

I didn't make a step-by-step tutorial as you can clearly see how i rolled hair on the rod to get this result. Basically, you roll hair around the rod the way you would with a curling iron, and secure the ends with an elastic or ribbon.

The best thing is that you can control the frequency of curls (less times you roll the hair, less frequency and shrinkage you get)

I happily wore this style today :D i loved it so much that i'll modify my rods to make this kind of setting easier.

Here's the setting:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4985&pictureid=64923

And here is the result, before finger combing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4985&pictureid=64924

After combing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4985&pictureid=64925

Notice how i remained shoulder length with the curls :D I almost maintained my length! Woo! Hope this can help some fellow SL's like their length.

Ravenne
February 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
That's gorgeous!! Wow!! :shocked:It looks so bouncy and soft! Did they stay for the entire day? Where did you get the rods?

melrose1985
February 24th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I SOOO have to try this for a party friday night!!!! Where did you get the rod things? or what are they similar too?

That looks great on you, very very pretty.

melrose1985
February 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Oh and is "wet setting" when your hair is like fresh out of the shower or just damp? And how long did they take to dry?

sarah061
February 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Wow, that is gorgeous!! I need to get me some of those rods... Those curls looks so shiny and bouncy! :) Thanks for the photos, I've been meaning to try wet-setting ever since I gave up my curling iron.

cindy58
February 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I like the before combing pic -- your hair looks super shiny and healthy!

Hana
February 24th, 2010, 01:22 PM
so pretty on you. i recently got rid of a load of velco rollers (EEEEEK on my hair), and i've been experimenting with other ways of curling, and this looks like fun to try! =)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks! since it's wet-set it stays quite well. That depends from person to person though, so experiment to see if it will stay.

Curls aren't too bouncy actually, unlike traditional rolling. It's hard to get shoulder length coarse hair to bounce :l

The rods should be found quite everywhere; they're not a special kind like curlformers. Be sure to choose long ones for this job, as they allow more room for longer (APL or maybe beyond, since i don't have hair that long i couldn't experiment :D )

rods come in packages like these:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4985&pictureid=64951

Wet-setting is originally done to freshly washed hair, but i never get around to set my hair right after shower :D Beforehand, i mist my hair with water, getting it pretty much soaking wet. I leave the whole thing dry overnight (i usually use some kind of scarf over my head to prevent rollers from unraveling) This particular setting is very comfy to sleep on, as rods don't grip tightly on sections.

ArienEllariel
February 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Oooo!! I'm going to have to find some of those!! :D

Are these (http://www.sallybeauty.com/flexible-rods/HAIRAR4,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-01) the same sort of thing?

melrose1985
February 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks! since it's wet-set it stays quite well. That depends from person to person though, so experiment to see if it will stay.

Curls aren't too bouncy actually, unlike traditional rolling. It's hard to get shoulder length coarse hair to bounce :l

The rods should be found quite everywhere; they're not a special kind like curlformers. Be sure to choose long ones for this job, as they allow more room for longer (APL or maybe beyond, since i don't have hair that long i couldn't experiment :D )

rods come in packages like these:
Wet-setting is originally done to freshly washed hair, but i never get around to set my hair right after shower :D Beforehand, i mist my hair with water, getting it pretty much soaking wet. I leave the whole thing dry overnight (i usually use some kind of scarf over my head to prevent rollers from unraveling) This particular setting is very comfy to sleep on, as rods don't grip tightly on sections.

Thanks... I'm going to have to try it.

Airisuu
February 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
:hifive: So pretty!!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Are these (http://www.sallybeauty.com/flexible-rods/HAIRAR4,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-01) the same sort of thing?

yeah! anything similar to those in the pics i posted should do the job!

BrightEyes
February 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! I love your curls. I'm definitely going to try this.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I really hope this will help someone! :D make sure to post your results ladies, if you try ;)

Xandergrammy
February 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Very pretty!!

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Those are beautiful curls!!!

Capybara
February 25th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I've never seen those before! The results look very nice (: So soft and shiny!

Svenja
February 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Looks lovely!
I am not happy about the rubber bands though - would there be an alternative?

Dreams_in_Pink
February 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Looks lovely!
I am not happy about the rubber bands though - would there be an alternative?

I think ribbons can be used to secure the ends; actually that would give better results since rubber bands leave dents.

mugglemomof3
February 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Great look! I use those rod curlers from Sally's too but I secure the ends with big claw clamps. I'll have to try your way of elastics on the ends because you can't sleep with the claw clamps on! I've got pictures somewhere - I'll try to find one.

ETA: could not find the photos, but I did find a silly instructional video I made years ago. I posted it in my blog because it does show my face.

I can't wait to try those elastics on the ends!

countryhopper
February 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Wow! I love how your curls turned out! I'll have to add this to my new-hair-care-things-and-toys-to-look-for list!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I can't wait to try those elastics on the ends!

Wow! I love how your curls turned out! I'll have to add this to my new-hair-care-things-and-toys-to-look-for list!

I'm not sure if elastics on the ends would be healthy for F/M hair. I advise you to tie the ends with a ribbon or something more gentle, as elastics can cause breakage.

marikamt
February 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I would think terry cloth small (think kids) pony tail holders would work great and be gentle.

Great Idea! I can't wait to go get the rods and try this......

lapushka
February 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
What a creative way to use these perm rods! Reminds me of an article here where about the same was done with a piece of fabric. Might come in handy for those of us who don't have that type of perm rod.

Article, "Deep waves / snake waves":
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

Dreams_in_Pink
February 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
What a creative way to use these perm rods! Reminds me of an article here where about the same was done with a piece of fabric. Might come in handy for those of us who don't have that type of perm rod.

Article, "Deep waves / snake waves":
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

ahh i know that tut, it's awesome for long hair. But the waves are quite different. My version creates spiral curl, hers creates wurls/waves, more like braid waves.

hmmm
February 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Oh wow, this is so beautiful! You keep giving me these awesome ideas! I have a curl set exactly like that that I never figured out how to use in a way that I liked. Your hair looks incredible!

AstrayStar
February 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Dreams_in_Pink
February 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
thank you all! hope this works for you too :)