PDA

View Full Version : Organic vs Non-Organic

minuteofdecay
February 23rd, 2010, 11:08 PM
I usually oil my hair with organic jojoba oil and organic coconut oil, but today I was in a rush while I was buying more jojoba oil and I grabbed some that is not organic. Do you find a huge difference or have a preference of organic and non-organic? More or less I'm trying to find motivation to go back and exchange it, or an excuse to be lazy and just use the non-organic oil I bought.

Thanks! :D

jera
February 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I choose organic anything, ( including food ) over nonorganic. It took me about 8 months to notice a difference when switching to an organic lifestyle but it does happen and the results are worth the time and effort. :)

enfys
February 24th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I don't recall ever seeing organic jojoba as an option so I assume mine isn't. It's always worked just fine for 5 years or so for me.

Copasetic
February 24th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I don't even pay attention to whether or not my coconut oil is organic. The only thing I actually look at is if it is refined or not. I think it is safe to say that my coconut oil is not organic, and it has been working just fine for me.

Hiriel
February 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Without having tried organic jojoba oil, I usually choose organic (if I can afford it, it's usually way more expensive here) because I believe it's more environmentally friendly, not because of any benefits to me. I don't notice a difference in taste in organic foods for example. But I prefer organic for environmental reasons.

florenonite
February 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I don't think organic makes much of a difference to your hair; most of the benefits of organic products are to the environment and, in the case of food, to one's health (for instance less pesticide use that could be transferred to the body).

Centelleo
February 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
But I prefer organic for environmental reasons.

I feel the same way, although I do notice a difference in taste of some organic foods (e.g. meat, especially with poultry & beef). But we're talking about hair care products here so that's neither here nor there! :D

I buy organic oils whenever available. It's hard to beat the convenience of non-organic products as they're almost always readily available and much cheaper but I want to support the idea of sustainable harvesting and eco-friendly production if possible. I also like knowing that whatever I'm using doesn't have added pesticides/GMOs/antibiotics/potentially harmful chemicals galore. I'm happy that I can now find organic jojoba, coconut (as well as coconut milk), and castor oils!

PearlyCurly
February 26th, 2010, 05:17 AM
i dont think theres is a big differnce.
Althoug i prefer Organic Ex-Virgin Coconut oil! Also EVOO!

Catladyintown
February 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
In coconut oil I find a big difference. The organic coconut oil usually is smooth and not grainy also the smell is more like coconuts. Also I have bought the non organic coconut oil and my local Indian store and I most likely won't buy it again. The smell is more processed and the coconut oil is more grainy. I have a big nose that can smell any type of differences.:p When I buy the coconut oil I buy it for two reason hair and cooking. I cook a lot with coconut oil, I switch from EVOO to Coconut oil my food taste a lot better.:DHTH
P.S. I forgot one more important reason my scalp is very sensitive and organics just seam to be easier on the scalp.

Cawoline
February 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hi !
I really prefer organic product for shampoo, conditionner...
For the oils I've always used organic ones for my hair so I can't compare.
But concerning the shampoos there's a big difference. On the long term, if you choose it well, you will see a great improvement of you hair's quality . It was the case for me.
And you don't have to buy very expensive brands, for example a conditionner named "basis sensitv" from "Lavera" is only 4,50€, so it's not more expensive that lot's of chemical ones, but it's way better ! (it's just an example)

And I also think that the most important isn't the label "organic" ("bio" here) but the ingredient of the product that must be natural.

After, I prefer buying organic things but it's not compulsory, especially if it's way more expensive than "normal" ones.

aililiú
February 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
im not sure how much of a difference it would make in oils...
but organics goes beyond just the lack of pesticides, &even beyond the better-for-the-environment state. organic food has been tested to be way, WAY more nutritionally dense--- a LOT more bang for your buck. ;) so again, i dont know how much difference that would make for a hair oil, but the nutritional profile of the oil might vary, idk :o