PDA

View Full Version : Home-made hair

XJawbreaker
February 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
So I came up with this idea to buy a wig and cut it apart to make extensions. Since real extensions are super expensive. He's a picture of me and my man at my college's winter formal!http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt177/JXJawbreaker/DSCN5947.jpg

sarah061
February 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
Omg, your hair is gorgeous!! *jealous* So that's with the extensions in? It looks fantastic, I'm really impressed! Sounds like it would have been a complicated job, how did you attack them? If I knew they wouldn't hurt my hair (and if they were super cheap) I'd love to get extensions just so I could swish around with long hair while my real hair grows out. Sigh.

countryhopper
February 24th, 2010, 06:07 AM
WOW! They turned out gorgeous!

How did you do it?

Sissy
February 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
wow, you did a great job. Looks like your real hair!:cheese:

XJawbreaker
February 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I cut the bottom few layers of the wig. Like the scalp part where it is connected. I had to sew mine to make it actually fit to the underneath of my hair.
When I put it on, I part my hair right above my ears and across from there. Then I put the top portion of my hair in a little bun on top of my head so it's out of the way. Then I take the bottom section of my hair and kindof twist it sideways and bobby pin it. Then I take the part of the wig I made and bobby pin the crap out of it so it doesn't fall out.
Then I just do whatever I want with the top portion. I straightened it for the formal. It's a little weird to move your neck at first, but you get used to it.
It was great because I bought that wig for 20 dollars no shipping on ebay. I could just imagine if I bought actual clip in extentions that long. It would have cost an arm and a leg!

Hana
February 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM

genius idea.
i must try it.

XJawbreaker
February 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Honestly the hardest part was trying to find a wig online that matched my color! I have a weird ashy brown color so nothing really matched. The one I got was close, but you can tell it looks more red than the top part of my hair.

melrose1985
February 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I cut the bottom few layers of the wig. Like the scalp part where it is connected. I had to sew mine to make it actually fit to the underneath of my hair.
When I put it on, I part my hair right above my ears and across from there. Then I put the top portion of my hair in a little bun on top of my head so it's out of the way. Then I take the bottom section of my hair and kindof twist it sideways and bobby pin it. Then I take the part of the wig I made and bobby pin the crap out of it so it doesn't fall out.
Then I just do whatever I want with the top portion. I straightened it for the formal. It's a little weird to move your neck at first, but you get used to it.
It was great because I bought that wig for 20 dollars no shipping on ebay. I could just imagine if I bought actual clip in extentions that long. It would have cost an arm and a leg!

That's how i would put mine in. I didnt use a wig but i bought the tracks of hair, then sewed them into netting ( i cut the net so it would fit like yousaid yours did) and then i sewed wig clips to the edges to hold it all... I might ned to break mine out again!

Try sewing the wig clips in, they work very well.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
woo hoo! I've done this A LOT while going through the awkward phase. First, i made a half-wig. Then came clip-in ponytail (from the same wig!). THEN i turned the skin part into clip-on bangs. I curled and straightened them (synthetic hair) a thousand times. I wore those self-made hairpieces EVERYDAY to school! :D

I even had my own hair dyed to match the wig's color. Oh my XD

BrightEyes7
February 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Interesting... Good idea. I can see the difference in color but it kinda just looks like that is how the light is hitting it... Gorgeous!

Xandergrammy
February 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM
This is a great idea for anyone needing/wanting extensions. You and your man look gorgeous!!!

XJawbreaker
February 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Awe thank you!! =]

alexas
February 24th, 2010, 10:47 PM
this looks great, congrats.

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Wow! That looks cool! The difference in color makes it look like highlights, because it blends really well with your natural color. Just, wow. :)

Norai
February 25th, 2010, 11:25 AM
That is a really neat idea :)