PDA

View Full Version : Help for hair thats outside all the time!

lilravendark
February 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Well I work outdoors all the time as I am a bricklayer, my hair is getting rather dry as it's summer here. I've invested in some uv leavein conditioner but was wondering if others out there have the same problem, winter and summer seem to be the worst just wondering how others cope with it :D

Heavenly Locks
February 23rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
What do you think about covering it? (hat, scarf, wrap...)

countryhopper
February 23rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
I agree with PP; it would be goot if you used a scarf or hat while outside. Bonus: you get to do treatments and oilings, cover it up, and go to work! Come home, wash, and your hair is more beautiful than when you started!

phistash
February 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
I used to work outdoors, and wish I had tried a bit harder to cover everything up, but in my field taking breaks to reapply sunscreen was a major no-no. You worked until you were told you stop. The best advice I can give you is to cover as much as you can. Slather yourself in the highest spf sunscreen you can find (focusing on those parts most likely to get burned in the sun, such as your part in your hair, your nose, your shoulder blades and neck), and if you can wear a floppy, wide brimmed hat, then do so, as it will protect a larger surface area. Some job sites consider floppy hats dangerous, and in those situations I wore a (wet) bandana with a (wet) baseball cap on top.
I actually miss working outdoors. Just not the uneven tans.

(One trick I learned was to carry baby wipes in a plastic, resealable bag in my pocket, and a small bottle of extra sunscreen and some chapstick, for quick reapplications).

ruffian
February 23rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
As a stone mason, I can relate to the hair dryness problems you're experiencing. That combination of being outside all the time, sweating, and getting mortar dust in your hair (unavoidable) is an absolute nightmare. My hair feels like a pile of straw a lot of the time when I'm done working.
Unfortunately I can't offer any advice other than what's already been posted - a good leave-in conditioner is very helpful, and it is absolutely vital to keep your hair covered (my hair is very long, and when I'm working I twist it all up as much as I can close to my head, and wear a scarf/bandana/whatever you want to call it, so that as much of my hair is covered as possible.
I also try not to mess with my hair until the end of the day if I can avoid it, because that mortar dust tends to mat your hair and the more you fumble with it, the more you seem to break/damage your hair. I like to try to wait until I'm done working and then spend a good bit of time gently, deliberately untangling my hair to avoid damaging it.

Sorry I couldn't offer any unique tips, but I definitely know what you're going through. Just protect your hair whatever way you can - and your skin also. Mortar is very bad for the skin. Good luck!:)

GoddesJourney
February 23rd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I agree with PP; it would be goot if you used a scarf or hat while outside. Bonus: you get to do treatments and oilings, cover it up, and go to work! Come home, wash, and your hair is more beautiful than when you started!

That's right! Take advantage of the heat and having it covered. Free hot oil treatments!

lilravendark
February 26th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I used to work outdoors, and wish I had tried a bit harder to cover everything up, but in my field taking breaks to reapply sunscreen was a major no-no. You worked until you were told you stop. The best advice I can give you is to cover as much as you can. Slather yourself in the highest spf sunscreen you can find (focusing on those parts most likely to get burned in the sun, such as your part in your hair, your nose, your shoulder blades and neck), and if you can wear a floppy, wide brimmed hat, then do so, as it will protect a larger surface area. Some job sites consider floppy hats dangerous, and in those situations I wore a (wet) bandana with a (wet) baseball cap on top.
I actually miss working outdoors. Just not the uneven tans.

(One trick I learned was to carry baby wipes in a plastic, resealable bag in my pocket, and a small bottle of extra sunscreen and some chapstick, for quick reapplications).

Lol I hear you about the uneven tan! I'm starting to wear a floppy hat I wet it down when it gets hot like it did today

As a stone mason, I can relate to the hair dryness problems you're experiencing. That combination of being outside all the time, sweating, and getting mortar dust in your hair (unavoidable) is an absolute nightmare. My hair feels like a pile of straw a lot of the time when I'm done working.
Unfortunately I can't offer any advice other than what's already been posted - a good leave-in conditioner is very helpful, and it is absolutely vital to keep your hair covered (my hair is very long, and when I'm working I twist it all up as much as I can close to my head, and wear a scarf/bandana/whatever you want to call it, so that as much of my hair is covered as possible.
I also try not to mess with my hair until the end of the day if I can avoid it, because that mortar dust tends to mat your hair and the more you fumble with it, the more you seem to break/damage your hair. I like to try to wait until I'm done working and then spend a good bit of time gently, deliberately untangling my hair to avoid damaging it.

Sorry I couldn't offer any unique tips, but I definitely know what you're going through. Just protect your hair whatever way you can - and your skin also. Mortar is very bad for the skin. Good luck!:)
Oh yes the mortar dust I get clumps of cement in it all the time I go home and immediately comb out the dust first off lol
thanks for all the tips guys I have a hard time with scarves they wont stay put constantly sweating and moving around great to see another female tradie too :cool:

Leah Polamalu
February 26th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Hats all the way.

lilravendark
February 26th, 2010, 04:10 AM
yeah I wear a floppy hat sometimes dunk it in water when it gets too hot outside, as much as it gets hot and sweaty and dusty outside I don't think I will ever trade for an office or factory job again, I think I might have to invest in a scarf that will stay put kind of like one with a built in head band?

renarok
February 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
buffs are great for keeping your hair covered, and they can look cool too.

lilravendark
February 26th, 2010, 05:35 PM
renarok just googled what they were that looks like what I'm after wet it down to cool off in summer and in winter keep the head warm lol thanks a bunch!:D