View Full Version : how to straighten hair

aiyysha
May 1st, 2008, 05:03 AM
hi. i was hoping to straighten my wavy hair without applying heat. It would be good if anyone had any ideas on how i could do his? .

Shanarana
May 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM
Every once in a while I will straighten my hair, but prefer not to. What I have found is that if I go to bed with my hair damp and twist it putting an octopus clip on it seems to help flatten it some with just a little wave.

QueenBea
May 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM
Similar to pp--if I let my hair air dry for about an hour, then clip it up in a peacock twist or an octopus clip over a messy bun and let it dry for 3 or 4 more hours, when I take it down, it's much straighter (even if it's still a little damp, it dries pretty straight).

Someone on here mentioned "magnetic rollers" and I bought some at Sally's; they do straighten my hair, but it takes forever to dry, and my hair is a little short to use the biggest rollers to get it the straightest.

Bea

Anje
May 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Many slight-to-moderate wavies can reduce their waves a lot just by combing several times while hair is drying. Just be careful when doing it, because hair is weaker when wet, and therefore more prone to damage if combed wet.

ETA: You might also get some good results with "hair wrapping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4)," which is basically to comb your hair in a continuous spiral around your head. It tends to be demonstrated most with relaxed African-type hair, but it may work for you, too.

Sana
May 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I like the hair wrapping idea..seems cool & less damaging:) Also I have use jumbo rollers on semi dried hair without any heat & have like the results.

Irishred
May 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
Some have used a technique with hair-ties. You comb your damp hair into a smooth ponytail then add hair-ties every inch to inch and a half down the length keeping the hair as smooth as possible. Let it dry and it should come out much straighter. This works different for different hair types and I have never tried it myself so I cannot say how well it will work for you.

forgetmenotak
May 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
I like to use velcro rollers, but since they like to grab my hair and yank it out! Ouch! And I hate to loose good hair that way. What I have done is to take a lighter and take the rollers outside. And I burn the "velcro" part off of the roller. It didn't catch fire or anything. And it doesn't hurt my hair, and a added benefit over magnetic rollers is that my hair dries A LOT faster! I hope this helps.

maneguy
May 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Gee that seems a little crude ...doing a burn off on them...lol

As I am the "hairdresser" on our relationship I set my lady on 2 inch velcro rollers for an over the shoulders smooth flip. To reduce or drastically cut down on the "clinging effect" of the velcro I took a stiff bristled brush and worked over the rollers numerous times and reduced the clinging effect. I have heard of using a safety razor on the tines to eliminate many of them.

The end result is velcro rollers that work pretty good...hold but not too clingy, dry faster than magnetics, are lighter and hold well with a clip.

The best of it all...my lady is happy with the results.

longhair4jesus
May 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM
A woman I work with says milk and honey mixture (not sure of the measurements) set on your hair for at least 20 minutes and then shampoo as usual.

aiyysha
May 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM
wow. thanks. So much information. Il try some of these ideas out and keep you posted!

Nevermore
May 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM
My Egyptian friend's mother and other female relatives do hair wrapping often, it straightens their SUPER curly hair to nearly perfectly straight, especially if they do it nightly like her mother did as a teen. My friend does report that she finds it hard to sleep like that, but your mileage may vary.

Tangles
May 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have a hard time believing that wrapping can make, like a 3a , into a 1c. How does that work?! I'm a 2A, so I should be able to get my hair STICK straight by wrapping...?

forgetmenotak
May 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM

As I am the "hairdresser" on our relationship I set my lady on 2 inch velcro rollers for an over the shoulders smooth flip. To reduce or drastically cut down on the "clinging effect" of the velcro I took a stiff bristled brush and worked over the rollers numerous times and reduced the clinging effect. I have heard of using a safety razor on the tines to eliminate many of them.

The end result is velcro rollers that work pretty good...hold but not too clingy, dry faster than magnetics, are lighter and hold well with a clip.

That's a really good idea with the velcro rollers! I tried to cut the burs out first with a razor and it just wasn't working. That is why I resorted to the lighter.

groque
May 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM

I wish I would have done this I love straightening with velcro.

Jae6
May 12th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I have a hard time believing that wrapping can make, like a 3a , into a 1c. How does that work?! I'm a 2A, so I should be able to get my hair STICK straight by wrapping...?

i've attempted this before and got most of my hair to be 1a. "most" being that it was my first try and didn't wrap all of it properly, LOL