PDA

View Full Version : Would you cut for a new job?

smilinjenn71
February 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
This is not a thread regarding myself.

We have a friend/neighbor that has had long hair - I'm going to say waist length, for the better part of his adult life. He lost his job back in the summer and of course the market is tight these days. He finally got an interview and a second interview...yay!!**

When the company called him back for a meeting with corporate he asked if there was anything that he could do different/better to make a good impression and hopefully get the job. The response was this; their only concern was that the length of his hair could be off putting to corporate.

He made the decision to cut it back to collar length. My personal opinion is that he made the right decision based on how tough the job market is at this time. My question though is this - If push came to shove and you HAD to cut your hair to obtain a job in order to feed your family, would you? Could you?

It's a very personal thing for a lot of people, so I'm curious where you all stand. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for him and the first few days it "felt weird", in his words.

**Update on pg.6

Schmoomunitions
February 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Feeding my family is more important than my looks, BUT it REALLY SUCKS that people are still judged on their ability to do a job by their hairstyle. I HOPE HOPE HOPE he gets the job!!!

loralie
February 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I used to have a few dreadlocks in my underlayer and though my previous 3 year office job didn't mind them, I ended up cutting them off when I moved to a big city. I'm in a management position now and though my little dreads would not be acceptable, which I can live with, cutting my hair for a job would be completely ludicrous to me. It's... hair. Would you ask someone with a mole growing on their arm to get it cut off for a job?

In all honestly, and though I don't agree with it, I think it may be different standards and stereotypes for men with long hair, versus women with long hair. Because long hair on a man is considered out of the norm, and long hair on a women more acceptable- ie. gender stereotypes from past generations?

That is so so so sad. Waist length hair!!! Poor guy. I can't say he made the right or wrong decision as it is his hair but that is so horrible that he had to choose between his appearance and employment.

minkstole
February 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Cut it. If itīs a choice between starving and getting a buzzcut, I would show the world my wonky skull.

enfys
February 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
No, I wouldn't. But I don't have a mortgage or kids to feed, and for the principle of it DH would support me.

Situations vary.

SHELIAANN1969
February 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
I would only cut my hair for a job, if they gave me a contract, whose to say that won't fire someone after a week/month/few months?

This happened at my sisters job, this one gentleman worked at another store of the owner, and got transferred, the owner made him cut his goatee or lose his job, he cut his goatee and was fired within a month.

MissMandyElizab
February 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
lucky i have never had that happen but i have realy god girl friends that would stand around me and support me in the hair cut if i had to they would also cry for me

bumblebums
February 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
I would only cut if I had an offer in hand. That is, if the offer was conditional on a trip to a barbershop. And only if I was sure that no job was going to surface otherwise for months to come. The reason is not because I am so attached to my hair--I just find it to be an unreasonable request, bordering on discrimination. If the guy is being hired for his looks, say, to be a model in a hair gel campaign, then of course it is relevant what his hair looks like. Otherwise, what does it have to do with his work performance? Is the hair neat and out of the way? Yes? Then what does it matter how long it is?

Capybara
February 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
I understand why he cut his hair, and applaud him for putting his family's interests before his own!

Hair does grow, albeit quite slowly, so if he wants to grow it out in the future, he will be able to . If this happened to me, I think I would cut it as well. In the long run, the financial position of my family would be more important to me than my hair. it's a shame, though. I hope he gets the job!

Trollkona
February 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Only if I had kids and/or pets to feed, but like bumblebums wrote, only if I had an offer in hand.

GuinevereMay
February 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
My husband did it. Before we were married, he had elbow length hair. He decided he wanted to go into the military. He has pictures showing them shaving his head, then holding up an amputated ponytail. Nine years later, he still has to keep his hair short for the military regulations, but every time he takes leave, he stops cutting. I know he would grow if he were allowed to.

It's worth it to him because we are well taken care of and don't need to worry about job security, but I know if he had a choice, it would be long.

melrose1985
February 22nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Nope... there are plenty of up do to do to make it shorter of different.

ericthegreat
February 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
This is a question that can't be answered with a simple yes or no. There are a million variables to take into consideration. I'll list off the ones off the top of my head that are the most important to me personally.

1. First off, just how much does my hair mean to me? Would I sacrifice getting a higher paying job, a nicer car, living in a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood for my hair?

2. Do I have a family to support? I personally plan on never having any children of my own, but I would imagine that a person who did have a son or a daughter to support would have to put their needs first ahead of their own.

3. Exactly what line of work am I planning to go into? Certain professions are much more tolerant of very long hiar, piercings, tattoos, and such than others. And even right now, in certain professions where the type of dress is traditionally very formal and conservative, they will allow an employee to have a tattoo or a piercing or to have long hair, provided that he or she cover up the tattoo, or take out the piercing during work hours, or have his or her hair tied back or put up and away from their face. One of my very good friends works as a bank teller. She has a tattoo on her left shoulder of a butterfly, and even when she wears a short sleeve blouse to work and reveals the tattoo no one at her job has told her she needs to cover it up.

4. Where am I living? Certain countries and certain cities and certain neighborhoods are more tolerant or are less tolerant of long hair. I live in NYC, so I literally see every kind of person of every kind of skin color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, you name it I've very likely spoken to, shaken hands with, hugged and even kissed. But I imagine that in a less international and cosmopolitan area or in a small town in the countryside somewhere, perhaps the locals aren't used to seeing such long hair on anyone, and someone who did have very long hair in that area would stick out. *I am in no way putting down small towns or anyone from a small town, I'm just making an example* :smile:

I'm sure there are a million other reasons that someone would cut or would not cut their hair for a job, but these are the main ones that I believe come to mind.

Edit: I just found another reason, one that was staring me right in the face on this thread and yet I jsut overlooked it!

If I ever found myself in an extremely dangerous financial crisis, and I couldn't pay the mortgage or pay the rent, couldn't pay my bills on time, or owed a lot of money, I would indeed cut my hair short. Not having a warm place to sleep at night, not being able to eat on a regular everyday basis would definitely be much worse than me having short hair.

Sylvanas
February 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
No, never. Not because my hair is that important to me, but because I would be unhappy in a job that required that amount of A4-ness. I would offer to wear it up everyday, that seems more than reasonable to me.

jera
February 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'd find a way to make my long hair support me. :D But it's different for men. Sadly, they're judged more harshly for being longhairs. Since the economy is so precarious I don't blame him for deciding to cut his hair but it's a shame to know another waist length haired guy is gone. :( We need more of them not fewer.

FrannyG
February 22nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Sadly, the poor men are the ones who have to live by these conventions for the most part. That said, if I had to get a brush cut in order to keep my family fed, I would do it.

Lisa Tregner
February 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
There are so many things you can do with your hair. Hair can be professional or unprofessional, just depending on how you do it.

Another thing to consider is the time is takes to take care of your hair. Short hair is much easier and quicker to get to the "professional" look.

toaster
February 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
My top three priorities, in order

1. God
2. Family
3. Employer

Neither my hair, or my need to make a point are on that list. No need to make things complicated, I would cut it.

MandyBeth
February 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
While I'll say no, the reality is most jobs that would balk at a man having long hair are going to balk at my piercings/tattoos. While if there was a dire need, I'd be willing to consider taking out my piercings, the tattoo isn't leaving, therefore, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Fractalsofhair
February 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
If I had absolutely no choice but to survive, I'd cut my hair. However, guys can bun their hair just as well as woman can, so the OP's case is a bit odd, IMO. As a woman, I'd likely bun my hair, since there's a lot of pressure for women to have perfectly styled hair.

catysue
February 22nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
I would cut it. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would. As much as I love my hair (as I know you all do,) hair is hair and it will grow. I grow my hair long because I like the way it looks and feels - I don't have any emotional attachment to my hair, I don't see it as a part of me. I wouldn't let my vanity stand in the way of financial stability, especially if I had people to support.

kittensoupnrice
February 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
No. I would not.
None of the jobs I would apply for would have me facing customers.
My ability to do the job I currently do has nothing to do with my hair.
If they have issues with my hair, I'd have issues with them.

Of course, if they asked me to wear updos to keep hair out of whatever it is I'm doing, I consider that fair and would comply, as part of the dress-code.
(Doubtful I'd apply for a place that had a stringent dress requirement, either.)

barbararla
February 22nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
Well I know if I had really long beautiful healthy hair I would be crying over it! But I would do it to feed my family. I can't stand the thought of my baby being hungry because there's not enough money for food...

At least girls can put their hair in a bun but men can't get away with that.

Alun
February 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't do it, and mostly it's not a real choice anyway. Usually, there are only probabilities of being hired or not, and you never know what those numbers are at any time, before, after or especially during your job search. These unknown numbers also include a probability that you still won't be hired if you cut.

I have been in the situation where I lost my job and I didn't cut my hair short. A lot of men crack in that situation I suppose, but I can't imagine doing that, and I do have a wife and family and a mortgage.

I suppose the only way it really comes to a dilemma is if you get offered a job and then they say it's conditional on cutting, but that's rare, and didn't even really happen in this example, if you read it carefully. AFAIK he asked and they said 'corporate' might not like his long hair, and then he cut it. I wouldn't have asked, and then I wouldn't have cut it. And he still doesn't have the job in hand. What if he doesn't get it and he has still had his hair cut off?

So no, been there, haven't done that.

ETA: The probability of getting hired probably is lower with long hair, though. However, if you search long enough you will find something. I guarantee it, as they say in those men's suit ads.

Gingevere
February 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
I can't imagine myself in any sort of job that would require getting my hair cut. The corporate world is not my cup of tea. If I was asked to cut my hair, I might consider cutting if the job was really worth it. I don't think women encounter this obstacle very often, though... we can just put it up in a bun and it looks pretty mainstream. Sadly, no matter how it's styled, long hair on a man just isn't socially acceptable in many situations. It's unfortunate that this prejudice still exists.

Sisko
February 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Absolutely not. It would compromise my personal integrity. Up it goes, and if they aren't willing to accept that compromise, they shouldn't be hiring me in the first place.

Mouths to feed, well, one needs to maintain one's sanity in order to do that.

charley27
February 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Absolutely. Hair grows. People throughout history have made all kind of sacrifices for their families.

SurprisingWoman
February 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
It got this long once, it can again.

The only reason I have long hair is because, it looks nice, it's easy, it's fast.... it isn't a pain in the bum like shorter hair that always needed "something" was.

Don't we have long hair to enhance who we are? Not define it.

I am not my hair, my hair is not me. It is a small part. I am soooo much more.

guccixx
February 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Honestly, yes I would. If the job were my dream job then yes no doubt. But because the job market is terrible I would do it for a decent job. I mean BSL would probably be passable in a professional environment, right? That's still long enough to enjoy atleast.

Demetrue
February 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
No, I don't think I would. Because if the company starts out making these kinds of personal demands on me when it has nothing to do with my job performance or my skills, then what else will they ask of me further on down the line? If the employer didn't value me enough to work with me on such a minor issue, then I would trust that there is a better job for me right on the horizon.

lacereza
February 22nd, 2010, 09:35 PM

GoddesJourney
February 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
I would use it as an excuse to cut off the damage and then stop cutting it after I got the job. :D

Rivanariko
February 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
it would totally depend on the situation. I think your friend made the right choice. For just a "job", I'd probably say no, but for my dream job... well, if Steffan Peters or Courtney King-Dye called me tomorrow and said they wanted me to come work for them, but I'd have to cut my hair, I'd grab the clippers out of my closet and shave it right then! my dreams are longer than my hair could ever be.

VenusHalley
February 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
It would depend what kind of job. I would not cut it for *any* job. If it was my dream job... maybe. But since I aspire to position of translator (who are mostly stuck behind their laptops) or a tourguide (which are often exotic and customers do not require you to look corporate), I cannot see anybody having such requirement.
It is different for women... but I know people who are project managers or simmilar... I even know few long haired male managers;)

I actually got snubbed because of my look. As I am unemployed at the moment (I have college diploma, but you know the crisis and having no experience...) I was asking in few stores if they don't need a sales assistant. In one shoe shop (the shoes were ugly as hell, btw) I was told that I have no style and they cannot have such person. The woman who told me was sporting currently hot messy bob blonde on top, black on the bottom... (to which I got mad and asked her if I could afford to be "stylish" with the minimal wage they would pay me...).

So the asnwer is no. I still can get part time jobs to get by that do not require me to change my look. And desired positions should not depend on my looks...

frodolaughs
February 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
This is a hypothetical question which I don't think has a real-world answer. Of course if there was a direct line between cutting my hair and feeding my family I'd cut my hair. I would not cut my hair or drastically change my appearance for a job I hadn't been offered, and I would hesitate even then--employers have no loyalty to their employees. What if I gave up something I cared about and they downsized me a month later? On the other hand, as a female I can't imagine a job I'd apply for which would require me to cut my hair. I can look professional, so that's not an issue, and I'm not military material.

Stormsong
February 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't cut it for an interview, but I would have put a statement on my CV that if it was a requirement for the work, then I would be willing to cut it after a job offer had been given. Otherwise, for interviews I would be styling it in a professional manner, so that it at least can show that long hair is possible to look professional.

Then again, I'm female, so long hair isn't such a problem in that respect,.

paisley
February 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
I would probably never even apply for such a job, it feels very distant to me. If the look is so important then i don't want to be there. :S As Stormsong said, having long hair is not very controversial for a woman, but i know, because i used to have a controversial hairstyle. I appreciate when collegues show some of their personality in their looks, and i don't see how my employer wouldn't appreciate that as well.

florenonite
February 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
He'd better get the job after that!

I can't imagine ever finding myself in the situation in which a haircut is a pre-requisite for a job. I'm female, so long hair's pretty acceptable, and if I keep it in a bun for interviews and work, then who's to know it's longer than BSL?

If I was asked to cut it, there would have to either be a really good reason for me to be asked to do so, or else a really good reason for me taking that job, for me to do it. It's not that I'm that attached to my hair, it's just that I'm very opinionated and idealistic, and I see no reason why hair length should affect one's ability to do one's job (unless the job is directly linked to appearance). I'd do it if it was a choice between that and starvation or losing my home, but I wouldn't do it if I could help it.

Fiferstone
February 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
The only case in which I would consider cutting the currently hip-length mane is if I were taking a job in which my long hair could be a potential safety hazard (moving machinery).

Otherwise, it's a body part. I don't think I'd get to the point where that was my only option. My DH was laid off from a job he had for 15 years (during which time he grew his hair long because he was tired of wearing a barbie-doll-hair wig for reenacting), and it took 11 months, but ultimately he got another job (closer to home) because of his background and skill set. His hair never even came up as an issue. From the front, it's a bog-standard corporate short-back-and-sides-longish on the top (no, it's not a mullet, it's all one length, with the short bits on the sides gelled). From the back, it's an almost-waist-length silver ponytail. Similar to DavidN's.

If they are more interested in your hair than your experience or your skills, give the job a pass, it's not the right one for you. If you keep making yourself available, the right situation will eventually find you :).

Unofficial_Rose
February 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Yup. BUt the question you're asking, OP, is very leading. Of course if it was a literal choice between our kids starving and keeping our hair or cutting and having food we'd all go for the cut. The interesting question to my mind is whether you'd chop for a promotion, or an extra $x per year. I would absolutely cut back to shoulder/APL for $20k a year more, or for my dream job! IN fact, I woudl probably go even shorter...

Interesting point. If it was the only job around, then I'd do it in a heartbeat rather than face financial ruin/house repossession etc.

However, if I could have a halfway decent job and keep my hair, I would not subsequently pixie it if a better career depended on my doing so. I would have when I was younger, though. Bit jaded with 'careers' now. :rolleyes:

I do think the man in question made a wise choice in this lousy economy. It's a shame, but of course he wouldn't want to do anything which might affect his livelihood.

frodolaughs
February 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
If they are more interested in your hair than your experience or your skills, give the job a pass, it's not the right one for you. If you keep making yourself available, the right situation will eventually find you :).

This. An employer who would hire a less-qualified person with short hair over a more-qualified applicant with long hair seems like an employer with questionable business sense. I'd rather work somewhere where the top priority was on quality.

zen_oven
February 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
If I was in dire straits and needed THAT job, I probably would. If there were better jobs that I could take, I'd take one that didn't find my hair problematic.

jera
February 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
The interesting question to my mind is whether you'd chop for a promotion, or an extra $x per year. I would absolutely cut back to shoulder/APL for $20k a year more, or for my dream job! IN fact, I woudl probably go even shorter...

No way because NO dream of mine would require short hair. More like the opposite. I'd grow to the floor for free, but my dream job would pay me to do it. :p

This. An employer who would hire a less-qualified person with short hair over a more-qualified applicant with long hair seems like an employer with questionable business sense. I'd rather work somewhere where the top priority was on quality.

I think we'd all prefer that, but some employers may be bound by the limitations of corporate requirements. This happened to my BF once . :rolleyes:

LittleOrca
February 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Nope. But I wouldn't have to. Updos! :)

Carolyn
February 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I can't imagine any job that I would be applying for requiring short hair. So I can't see it ever being an issue.

Islandgrrl
February 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
If it were literally the difference between putting food on the table and cutting my hair, I'd cut. That seems kind of like a no-brainer. Survival or hair, which will it be?

As a woman, however, I doubt I'd ever be faced with that choice. The double standard that men face with respect to hair length, is asinine.

lora410
February 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
If I absolutely had to to feed my family the answer is yes. Therefore I am glad I am a stay at home mom..lol

BrightEyes
February 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
If I absolutely had to to feed my family the answer is yes. Therefore I am glad I am a stay at home mom..lol

Me too. LOL!!!
If I had to find work and this ONE job was the only option, then yes I would definitely cut. My family's survival is more important than my hair length.

klcqtee
February 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
I'd cut it to get the job, but instantly start growing it back out. I'd also only cut it if I knew, do this, and be guaranteed a job. Of course, being the antagonistic person I am, I'd shave it all off (My hair was too long, you say? Well, take this!), then grow it out. Think of how healthy and soft all that virgin fuzz would be!

jasper
February 23rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
In his situation, I would cut, though I think i would not have to face that decision myself.

smilinjenn71
February 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thank you for all the replies.:flower: I'm always interested in the "why's"....if that makes sense.

Wally
February 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
The way the question is asked, then of course I'd cut to support my family. However, I'd have to be mighty desperate to cut for an interview.

This is a realistic question for me, which I have considered. I have been out of a job for three years. Doing contract work from home has enabled me to grow my hair. If something comes up I've decided just to keep my hair and see what happens. Fortunately, telecommuting is common in my business. I've turned down jobs that would require me to go to an office all day.

atlantaz3
February 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
My previous male next door neighbor is the drummer in a heavy metal band. He had the business in the front party in the back almost waist length hair. My intro to them was instruments being dropped as they unloaded the truck around 1 am! Really nice guy though. Now that he has a son -my dh and I had a small chuckle as the long hair went away. He told the dh he didn't think that was the proper image for his son to see! The band broke up and he is a master carpenter and probably could have long hair if he wanted.
My dh is ex military and was letting his hair grow for financial reasons when I met him and could make a very short pony tail. Summer came it was too hot and he cut his hair. I made a big deal and told him how much cuter he looked in short hair and it's been short ever since!
Would I personally cut my hair if necessary to keep a roof over my head - sure - after all it is only hair.

But could someone explain to me why all the local attorneys on TV during the news have pony tails?

walterSCAN
February 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
In the particular situation you present (feed family OR keep length), I would cut my hair, but only if they had already given me the job/ put it in writing that cutting my hair = getting the job... otherwise, I could potentially be cutting my hair for no reason.

Considering the serious emotional attachment I have for my hair (similar to the attachment I have for my arms or my nose, etc), I couldn't do it without being certain that my over-riding concern (that my family keep eating) was going to be satisfied.

I agree with everyone else who finds the idea of having to cut one's hair/ alter one's appearance for a job ridiculous, though. As long as it doesn't interfere with my actual, physical/ mental ability to do my job, it shouldn't matter. Period.

Copasetic
February 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
I would definitely cut my hair for a job. I have bills to pay! Keeping my apartment is way more important to me than having long hair.

david
February 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I have never come across this situation before but it always annoys me when I hear of guys having to cut their hair for a job. Personally, I would never cut my hair for a job and I would see it as a form of discrimination because if a women doing the same job doesn't get asked to cut her hair why should a guy. Obviously, I would understand if the guy came to the interview with greasy messy hair and generally not very well kept then it may not fit in with a corporate image. But generally if the employer isn't hiring you based on your ability, qualifications etc I would just walk away.

As I said I've never come across this situation myself and people always see that my hair is part of me and my qualifications and personality generally win people over in interviews. I take great care of my hair and it always looks tidy and presentable and even when I have been in part time corporate/sales jobs in the past I have always been able to wear my hair how I wish. But generally for interviews I always went in with a clean look and my tied back in a ponytail, plait or half-up.

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I personally wouldn't cut for a job, because I don't think I'd ever apply for anything that would be so picky in appearance to the point it'd be a problem. My interest is in the medical field. Plus I'm female, so I could always just wear a bun and be fine. If the job required a hairnet (can't think why it would though), I'd wear it and enjoy my long hair at home in the evenings.

However, if it ever came to the point where it was either feed my children or have long hair, the hair would go. The principle of the matter doesn't even become an issue when my kids are going hungry.

It's always irksome for me to read about a guy who is being pressured to cut by the corporate world. I think a man whose appearance suggests he knows how to properly groom himself, versus knowing how to let others groom him, speaks volumes about his independence and also about his level of being able to commit to a task. But that's just me.

Fifty-Five
February 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't do it. Especially for the kind of jobs I've been applying for. I went a little over a year without a job, money got a little tight, but I know I would feel depressed and like someone else if I did it, and I don't like the principle. "Really? You think I'm the man for the job? The one with all of the right qualifications and experience? That's awesome! What's that? Why, yes, I do have long hair, as I imagine many of your other employees and quite a number of your customers do, too. My, sir, you ARE the perceptive one! Nothing gets by you!"

smilinjenn71
February 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM
He didn't get that job :( but interviews for another one this week.

I agree that hair should be viewed just like the color of ones skin, religion, sexual orientation, etc. If a person is qualified for a job, it really shouldn't matter the length of their hair. Unfortunately our society doesn't see it that way. I still think he made the best decision he could based on what he was told during the interview process. Perhaps he was also ready for a big change, so the cut wasn't 'a big deal' for him. We really haven't gotten the chance to ask him about that part.

Anyway, thank you for all views and opinions expressed!! This is an open forum, so if people aren't ready for the answers they get, they shouldn't post.:D

Alaia
February 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry for your friend not getting the job.

I'm going to reply anyway even though I'm late to the thread.

My DH recently did cut his hair for a job. For him, though, the decision was more that he'd been wanting short hair for a long time (he spent a while at past-waist, then collar, and then short), since he'd had long hair for ages. Now he's growing it back out again (at the same job).

For me? It depends on the job. To work at McDonalds? Nope. For my dream job? Yes I would. But for a woman it's a different question, in my opinion. Most employers won't ask women to cut their hair shorter than Midback or collar, and if it's a long-term job you can easily grow it out again once working there and I'm sure they wouldn't mind (or even notice). Unless it's required because of safety reasons.

Do I think it should be different between men and women? No I don't. Is it? Yes, it is, especially in certain fields of work.

Sissy
February 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Yes, I would cut my hair if it came down to supporting my family. However, I'm a teacher so probably this would never happen. If there were any issues with my hair I could just wear it up in a bun.

I understand that it's so much harder for guys than girls in this position and that stinks!