PDA

View Full Version : Changing Your Hair Part?

yellowchariot
February 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if this topic has been posted before. If so, please direct me to the link!

Now that my hair is getting much longer, it wants to part in the middle. My hair is much healthier than ever before. However it still looks thin on top, but not as bad.

I've never had a middle part, until it was long. I have always parted my hair to the left when it was short. Is there a way I can "train" my hair to part over to one side naturally? So when I wear it straight down, it won't have the middle part going vertical down the center revealing my scalp?

I can manually brush my hair over to one side, and this takes care of the issue, but in no time, it falls back to the center part.

Any ideas?

Thanks You All!

SimplyViki
February 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hmm... I'd advise clippies or something to hold the hair off to one side while it gets used to that parting location, but somehow I doubt those are quite your style. Hmm. How about a bandana?

mellie89
February 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
My hair likes to part in the middle naturally. I switched to a left part a couple weeks ago. I just parted it with a comb right when I got out of the shower and put it in two side braids while it dried. After doing that for a few washes, it now parts to the left and lays flat without me having to mess with it.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas for more manly methods! :o

enfys
February 22nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33685
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27260
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40657

Any use to you?

ArienEllariel
February 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I switch off on my parts all the time. Some days it's parted down the middle, sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right. It does prefer to be parted on the left though. All my whispy baby hairs around my widow's peak prefer to lie to the right, not the left.

yellowchariot
February 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
^ AH I see! I really appreciate those links! Every suggestion has been helpful! :thumbsup:

charley27
February 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Wow. I never have even thought about changing my part. Maybe that's what my hair needs right now to change up the style while I'm waiting for growth. I wonder if would help my daughter's hair that is so thin on one side of her part? I think I'll experiment.

Thanks for the links!

guccixx
February 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I did this sucessfully! I used a hair barette or bobby pins to hold it on the one side. After awhile, my hair got used to it. I also did this when I first got side swept bangs and they kept wanting to just fall in front of my face. HTH!

yellowchariot
February 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
^ Makes note to invest in bobby pins or barrettes lol :D :tongue:

Yozhik
February 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
If I don't want a middle part (which I think looks a little too severe), I have to part my hair with a comb where I want it to part when it's wet :)

I heard from a hairdresser that if you keep the same part for a really long time, new hair follicles will be disinclined to grow there, so your part will grow wider, but I'm not sure at all whether or not that is true.

christine1989
February 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
As most people on here will tell you it is good to change your part every few days to avoid thinning and sun damage. When I want to change my part I do it while it is wet and let it dry that way.

GoddesJourney
February 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
What has always worked for me is to wear two braids the first day with my hair parted at the new part. This sort of pulls it in the right direction for long enough for it to adjust and get more comfortable.

yellowchariot
February 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
What has always worked for me is to wear two braids the first day with my hair parted at the new part. This sort of pulls it in the right direction for long enough for it to adjust and get more comfortable.

^ I was thinking of doing something similar, in hopes that the tension will pull my hair over to one side. Thanks!

SimplyViki
February 23rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Post pics if you wear pigtails! :D

yellowchariot
February 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
As most people on here will tell you it is good to change your part every few days to avoid thinning and sun damage. When I want to change my part I do it while it is wet and let it dry that way.

^ I never knew that, thanks for the input!

^ :o . . . maybe. . . :D

GoddesJourney
February 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM

I second that!:D

little_cherry
February 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
I do the exact same thing :) I'm constantly changing the position of my part.

I part my hair when it is damp and braid it after a few washes. That way you gently coax your hair into the part.

Third! :D

BrightEyes7
February 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Try parting when wet. It usually helps. And I like the bandana idea. My hair always parted in the center naturally but I have been growing out my bangs and pinning them back and now I have no part.

Maybe you could put your hair in a ponytail while wet for a long time, I mean like months not hours. Then you wouldn't have a part and it would be easier for you to choose your part. IDK. Just an idea.

jera
February 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM

This is true and I change my part frequently because of this.

When long, my hair naturally wants to part itself in the middle. When short it prefers to part itself to the right side perhaps because I have a cowlick on the left. Do you have a cowlick on your crown by any chance? This can impose its own will on how your hair parts itself. :)

yellowchariot
February 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
This is true and I change my part frequently because of this.

When long, my hair naturally wants to part itself in the middle. When short it prefers to part itself to the right side perhaps because I have a cowlick on the left. Do you have a cowlick on your crown by any chance? This can impose its own will on how your hair parts itself. :)

I used to have a cow-lick when I was very young. I don't know about now, though? I guess due to the weight distribution of my hair, it has completely changed, perhaps?