PDA

View Full Version : Starting over??!!

WaitingSoLong
February 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ok, I am unhappy with the "quality" of my hair. I found LHC about a year ago (April 1st!) and have tried several things in the last year. I cannot get consistent results no matter what I do.

Before LHC: I always used Pantene S&C. Always. Always. For years. I got many compliments on my hair from stylists who were impressed with the condition of my hair for as long as it is/was. Then they would chastise me when I told them I use Pantene. I ignored them. (way to compliment my hair then tell me my methods suck).

Then...my hair began to feel very damaged all the sudden (nothing changed). I did not change my routine but the quality definitely declined and it was dry, brittle, etc. So...

I did a web search and found LHC. I was excited to try stuff, but patiently tried one thing at a time.

First: No cones. This did not go well. I tried several conditioners with no luck (staw-like hair, a lot of breakage from being unable to get a comb through).

Then I added cones back in, tookout SLS's. Better results, but mega-build up. Clarifying washes helped, but it was a viscious cycle I had to clarify once a week it seemed.

I tried the two together (Sulfate-free, cone-free), horrible dryness.

I added oil. Jojoba. At first I got great results. I went several days without washing this way, did a clarifying wash, it went well for a couple months, then I was back to dry brittle hair.

I basically have gone back to my old Pantene routine because nothing gives me lasting results! Most recent trial: The DCT where you apply the cond. to dry hair (I used Mane and Tail). My first results were jaw-dropping amazing. Seriously, I have never had hair that silky soft and awesome. It was so silky it would not stay braided or bunned. I posted here about it. So I decided to do this once every two weeks. I have yet to get the same results again.

I tried a hot oil treatment after clarifying wash. Maybe a bad combo? It was horrible and dry/strawlike still.

Now I am trying leave-in hair serum and not liking it but it is taming the frizz.

Note: I have no split ends at all. NONE. My last trim was in August.

Please, can someone look at my hair and if you have any advice (similar hair type maybe) give me advice?

My next attempt will be ACV rinses which I have never tried.

I want to find a routine I can stick with!

GoddesJourney
February 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe try CO no cone? Try it for a full week, and make sure you brush a little to spread the oil. This should help with the dryness.

ArienEllariel
February 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Ok, I am unhappy with the "quality" of my hair. I found LHC about a year ago (April 1st!) and have tried several things in the last year. I cannot get consistent results no matter what I do.

Before LHC: I always used Pantene S&C. Always. Always. For years. I got many compliments on my hair from stylists who were impressed with the condition of my hair for as long as it is/was. Then they would chastise me when I told them I use Pantene. I ignored them. (way to compliment my hair then tell me my methods suck).

Then...my hair began to feel very damaged all the sudden (nothing changed). I did not change my routine but the quality definitely declined and it was dry, brittle, etc. So...

I did a web search and found LHC. I was excited to try stuff, but patiently tried one thing at a time.

First: No cones. This did not go well. I tried several conditioners with no luck (staw-like hair, a lot of breakage from being unable to get a comb through).

Then I added cones back in, tookout SLS's. Better results, but mega-build up. Clarifying washes helped, but it was a viscious cycle I had to clarify once a week it seemed.

I tried the two together (Sulfate-free, cone-free), horrible dryness.

I added oil. Jojoba. At first I got great results. I went several days without washing this way, did a clarifying wash, it went well for a couple months, then I was back to dry brittle hair.

I basically have gone back to my old Pantene routine because nothing gives me lasting results! Most recent trial: The DCT where you apply the cond. to dry hair (I used Mane and Tail). My first results were jaw-dropping amazing. Seriously, I have never had hair that silky soft and awesome. It was so silky it would not stay braided or bunned. I posted here about it. So I decided to do this once every two weeks. I have yet to get the same results again.

I tried a hot oil treatment after clarifying wash. Maybe a bad combo? It was horrible and dry/strawlike still.

Now I am trying leave-in hair serum and not liking it but it is taming the frizz.

Note: I have no split ends at all. NONE. My last trim was in August.

Please, can someone look at my hair and if you have any advice (similar hair type maybe) give me advice?

My next attempt will be ACV rinses which I have never tried.

I want to find a routine I can stick with!

One question, do you have hard water or soft water? I have soft water and even though I use SLS-free and cone free shampoo and conditioner, I still have to do diluted ACV rinses every week. Hard water absolutely wrecks my hair. So this is just something to consider.

jivete
February 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
One question, do you have hard water or soft water? I have soft water and even though I use SLS-free and cone free shampoo and conditioner, I still have to do diluted ACV rinses every week. Hard water absolutely wrecks my hair. So this is just something to consider.

This and having alkaline water cries for an ACV rinse. I have to use one every wash. I use ACV in distilled water, rinse (it's cool so lean back) and leave it in. If I forget it, my hair is much, much drier. Since you are in Indiana, I'd bet money your water is hard.

http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html

WaitingSoLong
February 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have pretty hard water but I have a water softener.

I have tried CO. I did it for a week, I forgot about it. Maybe I did not try it long enough but my hair was too greasy. That was a couple months ago.

Ok, so I hopped in the shower and did a clarifying wash (washed and rinsed 3 times with sulfate poo). I was going to condition then ACV but decided to see what ACV alone would do after the clarify.

Assuming I did it right...I cannot search for ACV rinse in the forum, the search says "ACV is too short and not included in your search" so I got results for every post that had RINSE in it. LOL. Which was pretty much half the posts!

I rinsed with diluted ACV and did not rinse the ACV mix out of my hair. My hair still smells slightly like ACV. Bleh. But mostly like the shampoo I used.

I was surprised I did not have too much trouble combing through it, having not used any conditioner. I blow-fried it (because it is freezing cold here and I am to cold to let it air dry). Very shiny! I am impressed and would love to do shampoo only.

I cannot find a shampoo only thread.

So, is it bad to never condition it? Won't it get REALLY dry if I do this? So I should oil it now? I have sulfate free poo I can use next time.

Is ACV bad for the scalp or good? I tend to get dandruff and use Nizoral when I do. It would be nice if I could get rid of my scalp condition AND have soft hair. I can dream. Maybe someday I will find the right combo.

Fethenwen
February 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
ACV in great stuff for scalp :) It seems to be the only thing that helps if I get problems with my scalp.

I have quite hard water too, here at home, so using ACV has helped me a lot through this winter. So lately I would not even dream about not using ACV. Even with a water softener, I would still recommend using these rinses. It removes build up too.

I would recommend rinsing out the vinegar, it might make hair stringy.

Do you have any coconut oil? Having clarified your hair makes it absorb it well, if not maybe you could oil it with something else. I mean you could use only a tiny little bit :)

WaitingSoLong
February 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Right now the only oil I have is EVOO and some body oil by Burt's Bees. My jojoba went rancid and I had to throw it out. The BB oil is too heavy. I have never tried the EVOO on my hair, can it be used on hair? I was happy with the jojoba but have not had a chance to buy more. I could get coconut oil instead. Does it have a good shelf life?

Fethenwen
February 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
Well, I would be a bit careful with the EVOO, it takes very little to make hair look too oily. Coconut oil has a very good shelf life.

I second what GoddesJourney said, CO:ing might be a good solution too. Maybe you just need to find the right conditioner, and work out how to use it most effectively.

ArienEllariel
February 22nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Right now the only oil I have is EVOO and some body oil by Burt's Bees. My jojoba went rancid and I had to throw it out. The BB oil is too heavy. I have never tried the EVOO on my hair, can it be used on hair? I was happy with the jojoba but have not had a chance to buy more. I could get coconut oil instead. Does it have a good shelf life?

EVOO is fine to use on your hair, but for me it was too heavy. I much perfer coconut oil (and it smells ever so nice). :) I've had my jar of coconut oil for several months now; I have quite a lot left and it smells just fine. It's supposed to stay good for at least a year.

mellie89
February 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Try a CO with Mane N Tail. It seems like your hair likes it since you got such great results that one time. Just glob a ton of it on, leave for 5-10 minutes, add a little water and lather as if it were shampoo, and rinse very well. It works very well for me. Also, try experimenting with coconut oil. I slather it on overnight every few days, and it leaves my hair sooo soft. Conditioner alone can remove it fine.

I think my hair really turned the corner when I discovered CO and coconut oil. Everyone's different, obviously, but maybe it's worth a try!

ETA: My jar of coconut oil is huge, and cost around $10. I'm not sure, but I think I read that it lasts ages.

minkstole
February 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have hard water, and I CO and use ACV rinse everytime. It keeps my hair soft, the scalp free of ichies and grease, and chalk out of my hair! I think with the ACV you will have to experiment with dosage - ACV to water - too little = greasy scalp, too much = brittle hair.
I use 1/4-1/5.
But I also think the weather plays a part. In the winter we tend to wear much more coverup, in the summer more contact with dust/ocean water/etc. I donīt think itīs possible to find a routine that fits the whole year. I tend to use shampoo every now and again in the summer, and in the winter I can drench my hair with EVOO and it gets soaked right up (central heating and no humidifier???)

WaitingSoLong
February 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
You ladies are awesome, I will try CO again with M&T.

My hair smelled so much like vinegar after the rinse yesterday, I washed it again today (sulfate free poo, Pantene cond). But it STILL smells like vinegar! I am deifnitely diluting it more next time (was using a 1:2 ratio). I need to buy distilled water. My hair is shiny but very dry now.

I am intersed in the coconut oil, too. No oil has ever made my hair feel soft, only moister and a bit shinier.

I think I will ditch the Pantene for awhile.

How often can one do clarifying washes?

Fractalsofhair
February 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Are you washing the length of your hair, or just rinsing it? I'd try washing just your scalp to help cut down on dryness!

lora410
February 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Well if you do Jojoba oil and then clarify you are stripping out everything you just did. Have you tried applying a drop of oil a day until wash day and just on the ends? You know suave humectant makes my hair supper soft and slippery. After trying many conditioners I will be sticking with just that. My hair goes through ruts and changes like yours but cutting isn't going to solve the problem.

lora410
February 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have pretty hard water but I have a water softener.

I have tried CO. I did it for a week, I forgot about it. Maybe I did not try it long enough but my hair was too greasy. That was a couple months ago.

Ok, so I hopped in the shower and did a clarifying wash (washed and rinsed 3 times with sulfate poo). I was going to condition then ACV but decided to see what ACV alone would do after the clarify.

Assuming I did it right...I cannot search for ACV rinse in the forum, the search says "ACV is too short and not included in your search" so I got results for every post that had RINSE in it. LOL. Which was pretty much half the posts!

I rinsed with diluted ACV and did not rinse the ACV mix out of my hair. My hair still smells slightly like ACV. Bleh. But mostly like the shampoo I used.

I was surprised I did not have too much trouble combing through it, having not used any conditioner. I blow-fried it (because it is freezing cold here and I am to cold to let it air dry). Very shiny! I am impressed and would love to do shampoo only.

I cannot find a shampoo only thread.

So, is it bad to never condition it? Won't it get REALLY dry if I do this? So I should oil it now? I have sulfate free poo I can use next time.

Is ACV bad for the scalp or good? I tend to get dandruff and use Nizoral when I do. It would be nice if I could get rid of my scalp condition AND have soft hair. I can dream. Maybe someday I will find the right combo.

I wouldn't recommend shampoo and acv only. I did that and after awhile it dried out my hair. I use condish then acv as final rinse but not washed out. The vinager smell will go away as it dried. Also if you are using niserol make sure you coat your length with condish before you suds up the scalp.

WaitingSoLong
February 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't recommend shampoo and acv only. I did that and after awhile it dried out my hair. I use condish then acv as final rinse but not washed out. The vinager smell will go away as it dried. Also if you are using niserol make sure you coat your length with condish before you suds up the scalp.

That is just it, the vinegar smell was still there the next day and even after I washed it again (it is STILL there). I will try diluting the vinegar more next time.

I do only use the Nizoral on the scalp but that is a good idea.

Thanks.

Merkaba
February 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I didn't read everyone's posts, but for me brittleness usually indicates too much or not enough protein.