PDA

View Full Version : Having general hair cra*piness...

marikamt
February 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
I am really frustrated.... the last month or so, my hair has been terrible.

My ends are just YUCK.... I had a ton of split ends (for me), so I had a trim and thought that would fix it.... it has improved it, but not fixed it. Hairdresser said my hair was in good shape/ healthy, but I KNOW my ends are not.... they are sticking together (I have heard people say velcro ends, I am not sure this is right, but maybe it is?), tangle-y and i am still finding some splits and they seem higher up, not just at the end.

I have been sls free (alternate 'poo and 'poo bar), cone free, I oil, I henna, I don't use heat styling products, I wear my hair up most of the time. I don't brush, have a seam free wide tooth comb, I feel like I really baby my hair.

I am at a loss and really discouraged. I LOVED my hair (health wise) at BSL, but now that I am on my way to waist, I am not liking the ends AT ALL........

I don't know what to do..... :(

heidihug
February 22nd, 2010, 09:11 AM
Sounds like it's time for a mini-trim - no more than a quarter of an inch can do wonders to reduce tangliness and dry ends.

marikamt
February 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Sounds like it's time for a mini-trim - no more than a quarter of an inch can do wonders to reduce tangliness and dry ends.

except I just had one, I had about an inch cut off........... not even a week ago. The hairdresser thought my hair was in "great shape"..... but the ends are driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimplyViki
February 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure what might be causing it. I'm a stubborn cone and SLS user, so I can't really comment from experience on your routine. However, in general, I've noticed that I'll just have really crappy hair periods, where I just hate my ends, hate my hair, hate my tangles. It comes and goes.

How was your transition to cone-free? If it wasn't too much of a difficult thing, maybe it wouldn't hurt to indulge in a good coney conditioner for a little while. L'Oreal's Mega Moisture (Sally's, in the yellow tub with a green lid) always makes me happier with my hair. I don't use it with each wash, I like to save it as back-up for those times when I'm just not liking my hair. If I used it each wash, heavens only knows what I'd reach for during the crappy hair periods - scissors, maybe?

marikamt
February 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
that is the track my thoughts were on.... that I need to go back to cones (or at least light cone-age).
I like the general texture of my hair better without cones, but I am thinking lack of cones is what is doing in my ends.... I coned (condish only) for the first time in a while yesterday and it felt somewhat better.......

FrannyG
February 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Whenever I get those velcro ends, it's usually time to clarify. Even without using cones, you get buildup, from conditioner, hard water, etc.

I suggest to clarify your hair and then do a deep treatment like an SMT. That might be all you need to set things right.

melrose1985
February 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
Whenever I get those velcro ends, it's usually time to clarify. Even without using cones, you get buildup, from conditioner, hard water, etc.

I suggest to clarify your hair and then do a deep treatment like an SMT. That might be all you need to set things right.

I was following this thread because i feel like i get this problem but dont use cones... thanks for posting i'll try that!

jivete
February 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM

I agree with this. I get build-up from oil too. It's just not cones that can build up on your hair.

heidihug
February 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
except I just had one, I had about an inch cut off........... not even a week ago. The hairdresser thought my hair was in "great shape"..... but the ends are driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, that sucks! I second what Franny said, then - do a thorough clarification, then see how it feels.

One thing I've learned, also, is never to style my hair when my hands have been in water, or are damp (like after doing dishes or a shower, or if it's really damp outside). I find that the extra moisture in my skin affects how my hair feels - even if it's fine, it FEELS rough and odd.

LadyJennifer
February 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM

This is what I was thinking.

loralie
February 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
I would try protein/keratin if you haven't already!!! I had deep conditioned, clarified, oiled the life out of my hair and no matter what my ends still felt yuck.. but a deep protein treatment was the first thing that actually made a big big difference!!

I used this one: Le Kair Cholesterol Conditioning Creme (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cholesterol-Cream/SBS-248116,default,pd.html) and it's super inexpensive and makes your hair feel fantastic. You can find it at just about any pharmacy/walmart/haircare place... it's really cheapo on Sally's.

LaurelSpring
February 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
You may just be in one of those awkward phases. I seem to hit plateaus when nothing about my hair seems right. Usually in the past that would mean a cut. Now I just get through it and eventually its ok again. This usually also happens right before a growth spurt or after a spurt when my hair is at a new stage and Im not quite sure how to handle it. I also get funky stages when I have to change my routine.

teela1978
February 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm a member of team clarify. Grab some good sls shampoo and give it a good scrub all the way to the ends.

Also... you say you loved your hair at BSL. Was your routine different then? What have you changed? What can you change back to get that same hair (aside from cutting half a foot off :))

ravenreed
February 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Another vote for clarifying here. I don't use cones, but something in my routine causes buildup. I suspect it is the catnip rinses, but regardless, a bit of baking soda mixed in with SLS shampoo makes my hair behave much better.

Firefly
February 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I get this from time to time as well. Different things will work for me-- a strong ACV rinse (I actually leave it on for a few minutes), clarifying with a sulfate-poo, and/or doing an SMT. Hope one of these things does the trick for you!

Anje
February 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm with the others -- start by clarifying. If that doesn't take care of it, check your products for proteins. My hair is protein-intolerant, and if I use products containing them, the ends start to stick together and tangle instantly. Repeated moisture treatments that don't contain protein is the only solution I've found for this.