PDA

View Full Version : I dried Out My Hair...Is It Now Damaged??

SunshineHair
February 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
I finally was able to order my natural Henna! But after I rinsed it out my hair was like straw!!

I used 400 gms of henna geared for red hair, and lemon juice..I think it was the juice that dried it out so badly.

Do you think this hurt my hair or will I be ok if I keep conditioner on it for a few hours??

This has been the worst month for my hair heh!

NiAosSi
February 21st, 2010, 10:42 PM
It was the lemon juice. Never use that again. IMHO it's too much for hair. Chamomile tea is good, has a nice acidity content but, not enought to dry out hair. A lot of us use teas or straight warm tap water for our henna.

HairColoredHair
February 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Henna can make hair appear dry at first for some people. That goes away with another wash or two. But if it's very dry... yeah, it was probably the lemon juice. For most people, the juice is unnecessary (the henna will release dye with tap water) and drying.

Just condition it up and it should be fine!

I usually mix up henna and water and once the dye releases I mix in conditioner and then apply it. Goes in easy, comes out easy. And it keeps it from getting strawish.

ambism
February 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
One whole egg, honey and Extra Virgin Olive Oil might offer some serious assistance in getting your hair healthy (keep it on your hair for an hour or longer). I dried out my ends with lemon juice and did the treatment above -- it's all good now.

Rhiannon7
February 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I did the same thing a few years ago, NEVER again use lemon, too aciding and drying. warm tap water has done it for me even tried Raspberry Vinegar which worked well.
My hair does not like Lemon, Honey, Eggs. and the secret to returning softness and health for me was using L'oreal's Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Deep Treatment (green cap) i used it every day for 1 week, as a kind of CO wash. did at least 3 deep moisture treatments during that week also. and hair was fine by the next poo and condish 1 1/2 weeks later.

I also used alot of almond oil on wet hair, combed to detangle and then smoothed about 2 quarter sized glob of almond oil concentrating on ends and spread upward until i reached scalp. (hair was greasy and limp but by my next poo hair was soft and shiny and healthy again.)

You can mix a SMT three times a week and leave it on as long as you can (2-6 hours.) that should fix the problem within the week. but if you can find it, I recommend Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Treatment. It is full of cones, but fixes dry hair quickly. ( at least for me it did. saved me from cutting.)

So it all depends on what you wish to do, do you like cones? do you preffer no cones condish? just anything that is for moisture should help your dry hair. but it takes a few days to fix this issue, just give it all the moisture possible, and braid it if it gets too greasy. worst case scenario, your hair will be a greasy mess for a few days, but the best case scenario is that your hair will be ultra moisturized.

HTH, stay calm and have patience. dryness will go away soon.

Gothic Lolita
February 22nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
If you pamper your hair nicely, it won't suffer from any damage. It most likely really was the lemon juice, but henna in general also can make hair dry at first. I'd wash again, maybe with CO and then condition with your favourite method of choice. For me, simply conditioner does the trick, but if you prefer somethng else, I'd give it a go.

ravenreed
February 22nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
My hair always feel slightly odd and dry after I henna. After a few CO's it goes back to normal. I use hibiscus tea for my mix to reduce dryness.

Erin-86
February 22nd, 2010, 02:24 AM
It was the lemon juice.

When I make my henna, I put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it, even if I don't use lemon juice. Also, how much lemon juice did you use? When I make my henna with lemon juice, I use maybe 4 table spoons.

I know a lot of people do not like lemonjuice, but it gives a very fast dye release! But because of the drying effect it can have, I put some olive oil in the mix as well.

Did you rinse your henna out with a conditioner? This also might reduce the drying effect.

For now, I would give your hair a deep moisture treatment, it probably isn't too damaged.

AmericanWoman
February 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM
Don't use too much lemon juice. Henna is supposed to be mixed with water and (according to catherine at H4H) a "splash" of lemon juice. Also, it's important that you rinse all the henna out. I rinse and rinse, then load up conditioner. leave on and rinse some more. My hair is never dry after henna.

FrannyG
February 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm quite certain that you haven't ruined your hair. Deep conditioning will likely do the trick to make your hair feel more normal. I agree that I wouldn't use the lemon juice next time and I also agree that you need to rinse your hair at least twice as long as you think you need to before slathering on the conditioner.

Your hair will be lovelier than ever before you know it! :blossom:

SunshineHair
February 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone!!!!!! Good to know and I will not be using the lemon juice every again!!!

Too bad I cant keep you guys with me all day long to steer me in the right direction LOL