PDA

View Full Version : Hair suddenly really oily?

*Aoife*
February 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I use a SLS-free shampoo, no cones and I'm fairly gentle with my hair. I clarified this morning and left a little leave in conditioner on my ends. My scalp is looks so greasy and my length feels oily. I guess the conditioner is causing the length to feel greasy but I don't know about my scalp. It feels shiney but looks so greasy. Any idea why?

jera
February 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Could it be something in your leave in conditioner? Maybe you don't need a leave in at all. Many people don't. :)

*Aoife*
February 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
My ends are dry and icky, so I thought I'd give it a try. But I only put it on the very end of my hair. Like the bottom 2.5". Can that effect the scalp in any way?

GoddesJourney
February 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Only if you combed or brushed afterward.

Leabhar
February 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
The same thing happened to me with clarifying shampoo. The SLS wreaks havoc on the scalp, making it greasy and the length dry. The oily length on you is probably the leave-in; is it cone-free too, or is it cone-y?

A CO-wash fixed everything up for me, fwiw.

ademtce
February 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Malibu Un Do Goo is a wonderful clarifying that shampoo thats 100% SLS free.

i have an oily hair type so i find my scalp gets oil at the end of everyday forcing me to wash everyday.
more than a few people have told me its all in the diet. i would have to agree, but i think im drifting from topic

aisling
February 22nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
How did you clarify and what did you use?

*Aoife*
February 22nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
A lot to reply to!

The leave in is cone free. Only used on the very bottom of my hair which is nowhere near my scalp.
I didn't comb afterwards, I left it hanging to dry.
My normal shampoo is Naked Care. My conditioner is the same brand.
I used ACV to clarify. Just a glass or so of it tipped back over my head.

The really weird thing is that my scalp itself seems very dry but the hair coming straight out of my scalp is oily.

aisling
February 22nd, 2010, 11:36 PM
OK, that's the problem, ACV doesn't clarify and undiluted ACV can definitely make your hair do strange things. The dry scalp is also a result of this, I guess. ACV should always be used diluted with water and it's used for helping products used for washing/conditioning rinse out better, it can't dissolve build up. I don't know why people still believe ACV is clarifying!

To clarify, use a clarifying shampoo or a "normal" shampoo with well cleansing (harsh) sulfates. Wash you hair from root to tip with shampoo, rinse and condition. That sure should deal with your grease problem, due to the harsh acv treatment your scalp will probably feel a bit dry but time will help.

ETA: you can also use baking soda to clarify but please read up on how to do it before throwing a cup of baking soda on your head... I prefer shampoo but each to their own.